Pages:
Author

Topic: Internet Archive (Home of the Wayback Machine) Accepting Bitcoin Donations! - page 6. (Read 11568 times)

legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
Well I didn't fill it, but I sent 1 to their wallet.
Could have sent it as 10,000,000 satoshis in individual transactions, that would have filled it pretty quick!
donator
Activity: 798
Merit: 500
Well I didn't fill it, but I sent 1 to their wallet.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
I just sent my pledged 1 BTC, as promised, prior to penning this post.

Great work, all.

~Bruno~
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
Activity: 270
Merit: 250
1CoinLabF5Avpp5kor41ngn7prTFMMHFVc
Internet Archive has added a link to their bitcoin address on their donate page:
http://www.archive.org/donate/index.php

In the bottom center of the page, there is a link "Our Bitcoin Address," which links to an anchor tag in the middle of their FAQ.

From http://www.archive.org/about/faqs.php#311 :
Can I donate BitCoins?

Yes, please do. Our BitCoin address is: 17gN64BPHtxi4mEM3qWrxdwhieUvRq8R2r . Every bit helps.

Don't trust me though, copy their address off of their site yourself!

Thanks Internet Archive!

Now it's our turn. Let's fill their wallet!
Activity: 504
Definitely will donate to their site. I use their service regularly. Waiting for the address to show up on their site.

same here.

Maybe we should send them the link to this thread to encourage them to take action on their words.  Forgive my poor reading abilities if this was addressed. But, was it verified that the person offering to accept BTC at IA-WB is in a posistion to do so?

Cheers
legendary
Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021
I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.
Definitely will donate to their site. I use their service regularly. Waiting for the address to show up on their site.
Activity: 740
Hello world!
Let's see it on the page first...
legendary
I'm in. Smiley
For those not familiar with the way back machine, it is a great tool for finding old internet content.

Like reading content on old websites that's no longer online, penned by know fraudsters. I'm just saying!
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
I'm in. Smiley
For those not familiar with the way back machine, it is a great tool for finding old internet content.
donator
If we can find a agreement with bit-pay whereby they wouldn't charge any fees to non-profit organizations, we should recommand them to use bit-pay. Atm, Bitcoin is way too geeky for your average organization. We would get a much better conversion rate with a payment solution that looks and feels like what they are used to.

+1
And I don't think they charge for non-profits...

For Eligible US Organizations
If your organization is registered with the IRS Publication 78, Bit-pay will process the bitcoin payments at NO CHARGE.

http://www.irs.gov/app/pub-78/

You must be on the IRS Pub78 list (eligible to receive tax-deductible donations) to qualify for the no-charge processing.

I also don't see a Bitcoin donation button yet.  Has anyone e-mailed them?
Activity: 770
If we can find a agreement with bit-pay whereby they wouldn't charge any fees to non-profit organizations, we should recommand them to use bit-pay. Atm, Bitcoin is way too geeky for your average organization. We would get a much better conversion rate with a payment solution that looks and feels like what they are used to.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
Pretty sure the password just encrypts the private key.  The private key can't be changed without changing the receiving address.
legendary
I'm in for 1. I've used their site many of times. Will watch this thread and their site for confirmation of the address.

Maybe we need a project like the Bitcoin100 for non-charity projects like this, and wikipedia, and tor.  Or include them in the Bitcoin100?

Of course we can. Wanting Wikipedia to embed a Bitcoin donation option, then their rejection, is why I started brainstorming Bitcoin100 in the first place. I was able to put a lot of thought into the idea because, quite frankly, theymos gave me a 7 day vacation from here. I was a bad, bad boy, and Nikki the Bitch didn't help matters, either.  Grin

Now back to archive.org. What would a vanity address look like if one were created for them? And if one were created for them and given to them with the password, would they be able to change the password once they take over the address?

Thoughts?
legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311
I'll donate once there's a link on their site.
Activity: 270
Merit: 250
1CoinLabF5Avpp5kor41ngn7prTFMMHFVc
June responded with the same btc address as Obsi posted.
Hi Chris,

Here is our bitcoin donation site.

17gN64BPHtxi4mEM3qWrxdwhieUvRq8R2r

Thank you for the information, I will get it up today!

Should be on the donate page by the end of the day! (Hopefully)
Activity: 30
Merit: 0
Maybe we need a project like the Bitcoin100 for non-charity projects like this, and wikipedia, and tor.  Or include them in the Bitcoin100?

I would say include them. They help the world community at large and The Internet Archive is a 501c3 non-profit according to the comments on that blog post (meaning donations are tax-deductible in the USA).

I'm not sure why they haven't listed their bitcoin address on the page yet. Perhaps they are still getting up to speed on how bitcoin works, but they've already got 37 btc donated and at least a few tens more pledged in this thread.
Activity: 28
I consider any business that creates wealth for society as charity. This is a charity in my book.
donator
I'm in for 1. I've used their site many of times. Will watch this thread and their site for confirmation of the address.

Maybe we need a project like the Bitcoin100 for non-charity projects like this, and wikipedia, and tor.  Or include them in the Bitcoin100?
Activity: 28
I applaud the founder for being so open-minded to all donation methods. If you need funding, you might as well be open to everything you can get. A rational man, indeed.
Pages:
Jump to: