Pages:
Author

Topic: Internet Archive (Home of the Wayback Machine) Accepting Bitcoin Donations! - page 5. (Read 11568 times)

legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056
Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com
I'm not lashing out at them, I'm simply stating my opinion on this forum. I have absolute zero interest in donating to this particular organization for other reasons than the publicity Bitcoin gets from this. When you take that reason away, my donation goes away. Period. It's just that simple. I don't see how this is childish.

If the person who made this happen in the first place can't ask them about the crappy positioning, I will ask them myself. But I was thinking that it would make sense if the same person did it who has been in contact with them before.

And one more note, I'm going to donate more than I originally intentioned if they actually change the position of the donation link. That would really show that they are interested in Bitcoin.
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
This is a huge site.
Activity: 931
Merit: 500
Great service, definitely worth it!

I like the "Every bit helps" as donation motto.
Activity: 602
Merit: 501
Apparently they are registered with the IRS Publication 78 (whatever that is), so bit-pay could process their payments for free. Everytime I donate bitcoins I am afraid that the owner will only cash them a month from now and that he will only get half of what I donated...
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003
Glad they confirmed it.  I wish it was a more obvious space on the page but it is what it is.  I just donated, I have found archive.org to be useful a number of times!

legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000
 i'm glad that they confirmed their "bitcoin site" on their archive site; that's all that mattered really.
Activity: 115
Merit: 10
I have to say that I'll break my pledge at this time meaning that I am not donating a satoshi until my concerns are noted. I'm extremely unhappy with the positioning of that Bitcoin donation link, it's not up there with the other donation methods. I would have NEVER found it if I wasn't explicitly looking for it. I'm sorry to be this negative but I'm genuinely pissed about this.

The purpose of the Internet Archive isn't to publicize bitcoin, it is "universal access to all knowledge".  Their accepting bitcoin is great, breaking your pledge because they don't position it as prominently as paypal seems rather petty.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1009
firstbits:1MinerQ
Sent a little bit since I think what they do is cool, but I don't use it much.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1004
Truly awesome!  archive.org is something I've used a lot and actually tried to donate to on several occasions but I always ran into difficulties and gave.  Now I can finally donate to this worthy cause with ease!

25 BTC sent.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
And how much were you pledging exactly?
How is that relevant exactly? I don't care if the amount is too insignificant for my opinion to matter. But I think that placing the Bitcoin donation link to an almost invisible location is an outrage, honestly. No one is going to notice, no one is going to care.

The Internet Archive is an established organization with good reputation.  In one day, they set up a Bitcoin account and emailed back their address.  Within two days, they had their address on their FAQ.  If you want to email them to help them improve placement to maximize the number of Bitcoin donations they receive, I fully support you. 

They were prompt and responsive to my email.  They are new at this.  Bitcoin is confusing.  Cut them some slack. 

The link to the BTC address is not in a prominent location, probably because they aren't sure how much money they will be able to raise with it.  BTC addresses are ugly, and a novel concept to understand.

I think your being "genuinely pissed" is childish and laughable. If you want them to move the link, you shouldn't cancel your pledge, you should pledge more! (and email them polite suggestions)  They will want to feature their BTC address prominently if they are earning a comparable amount from BTC as from justgive.org and PayPal.  If they only get pocket change, they will think of it as a hassle and a waste of time. 

Please, do not lash out at charitable organizations.  We want Bitcoin to have a positive reputation.
I think childish and laughable aptly describes the response from Technomage.  Well put.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
How is that relevant exactly? I don't care if the amount is too insignificant for my opinion to matter. But I think that placing the Bitcoin donation link to an almost invisible location is an outrage, honestly. No one is going to notice, no one is going to care.

The Internet Archive is an established organization with good reputation.  In one day, they set up a Bitcoin account and emailed back their address.  Within two days, they had their address on their FAQ.  If you want to email them to help them improve placement to maximize the number of Bitcoin donations they receive, I fully support you. 

They were prompt and responsive to my email.  They are new at this.  Bitcoin is confusing.  Cut them some slack. 

The link to the BTC address is not in a prominent location, probably because they aren't sure how much money they will be able to raise with it.  BTC addresses are ugly, and a novel concept to understand.

I think your being "genuinely pissed" is childish and laughable. If you want them to move the link, you shouldn't cancel your pledge, you should pledge more! (and email them polite suggestions)  They will want to feature their BTC address prominently if they are earning a comparable amount from BTC as from justgive.org and PayPal.  If they only get pocket change, they will think of it as a hassle and a waste of time. 

Please, do not lash out at charitable organizations.  We want Bitcoin to have a positive reputation.

+1
Activity: 162
Merit: 100
This is the latest snapshot for terms-of-use that I could find:

OCTOBER 23, 2010
1 snapshot
20:50:53
http://web.archive.org/web/20101023205053/http://www.dwolla.org/help/terms-of-use/

This is the latest snapshot for dwolla.com that is available. Fees/General Information/Terms of Use leads back the the June 25th, 2010 document.

JULY 20, 2011
2 snapshots
13:05:51
13:06:41
http://web.archive.org/web/20110720130641/https://www.dwolla.com/default.aspx

n.olmos
Activity: 270
Merit: 250
1CoinLabF5Avpp5kor41ngn7prTFMMHFVc

legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
I wonder if it (or google cache) has a copy of:

https://www.dwolla.com/dialogs/terms_and_conditions.aspx

BEFORE July 27th when they changed it.

Do any forum members have a copy of the Dwolla TOS before July 27th?

Cheers!
They don't seem to.... in fact, they don't have a record of that page at all!  Maybe they don't archive pages that must be accessed via a secured connection?

http://liveweb.archive.org/https://www.dwolla.com/dialogs/terms_and_conditions.aspx
legendary
Activity: 19
Merit: 0
I wonder if it (or google cache) has a copy of:

https://www.dwolla.com/dialogs/terms_and_conditions.aspx

BEFORE July 27th when they changed it.

Do any forum members have a copy of the Dwolla TOS before July 27th?

Cheers!
Activity: 30
Merit: 0
I have to say that I'll break my pledge at this time meaning that I am not donating a satoshi until my concerns are noted. I'm extremely unhappy with the positioning of that Bitcoin donation link, it's not up there with the other donation methods. I would have NEVER found it if I wasn't explicitly looking for it. I'm sorry to be this negative but I'm genuinely pissed about this.

Activity: 714
Merit: 504
^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.
Uhm, at the bottom of the donation page it says "Our Bitcoin Address", with a link to the mentioned FAQ entry.
So it is in fact on the donation page.
legendary
Activity: 431
Merit: 251
Just sent them a couple BTC.  Glad to see them adding this!
Pages:
Jump to: