Pages:
Author

Topic: Internet Archive (Home of the Wayback Machine) Accepting Bitcoin Donations! - page 7. (Read 11568 times)

legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056
Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com
I will also donate something once the donation address is up.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
I'm in for 1. I've used their site many of times. Will watch this thread and their site for confirmation of the address.

legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000
I too will donate few BTC once they put their bitcoin address out on their website
Activity: 770
Merit: 500
I pledge 5 BTC once the address is on their donation page.
Activity: 991
Merit: 1008
In case anyone at the Archive is reading and wondering why we're such a paranoid lot:

Bitcoins are a little different from other online currencies where charges can be reversed in case of a scam.  Bitcoins are like cash - once you give it to someone, it's theirs.  That's both good (Things like this don't happen with Bitcoins) and bad (we have to do our own diligence).

Wow.  That's the worst Paypal story yet.

qft!

that is one hardcore story. lesson: dont give christmas presents to kids, give christmas presents to the sick cats of kids - because its a worthy cause!
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
In case anyone at the Archive is reading and wondering why we're such a paranoid lot:

Bitcoins are a little different from other online currencies where charges can be reversed in case of a scam.  Bitcoins are like cash - once you give it to someone, it's theirs.  That's both good (Things like this don't happen with Bitcoins) and bad (we have to do our own diligence).

Wow.  That's the worst Paypal story yet.
Activity: 728
165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g

Activity: 533
Merit: 501
Yeah.  I've learned to not trust people here by default.  It could be Obsi's address!  Be careful until they have something official on their website.

Which is why I suggested confirming with her first. I have also left them a message to post it on the donate page, hopefully they will soon.

I posted this in their comments section:

---
Go here:
https://www.bitaddress.org

Publish the public address on your website. Keep the private address super secret.

Type your public address into http://blockexplorer.com/
to check your balance. When you make enough that you want to turn it into $, go to mtgox, import your private key, and set up a bank account for them to transfer money to.
Activity: 270
Merit: 250
1CoinLabF5Avpp5kor41ngn7prTFMMHFVc
I also sent an email to june. I'll update when I get a response.
Activity: 30
Merit: 0
Yeah.  I've learned to not trust people here by default.  It could be Obsi's address!  Be careful until they have something official on their website.

Which is why I suggested confirming with her first. I have also left them a message to post it on the donate page, hopefully they will soon.
Activity: 270
Merit: 250
1CoinLabF5Avpp5kor41ngn7prTFMMHFVc
I will also donate once it is on their donate page
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
I will donate if it is placed on the archive.org donate page along with paypal, not just on a blog post only.  5 BTC pledged here.
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003
I will donate if it is placed on the archive.org donate page along with paypal, not just on a blog post only.  5 BTC pledged here.

Activity: 728
165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g
Woot!  I'll send some bits their way once the address is confirmed on their site.  Smiley

They run a fantastic and important service.  I encourage others to donate to this one.
Activity: 30
Merit: 0
Thanks to comments left on this blog post

http://blog.archive.org/2011/12/07/please-donate-to-the-internet-archive/

They have set up a donation address. The address I received in an email from june (at) archive.org is

17gN64BPHtxi4mEM3qWrxdwhieUvRq8R2r

I will email her to update the post with the bitcoin donation address, or you can check with her for verification.

Let's show them how much we appreciate all the great work they do & that accepting bitcoin is a fantastic way to supplement their fundraising.
Pages:
Jump to: