Pages:
Author

Topic: Introducing Hive, a beautiful new wallet for Mac OS X - page 4. (Read 140953 times)

Activity: 302
Merit: 250
hivewallet do you have any update on this? I am trying to help a hivewallet user and spent quite a bit of time talking about change addresses and using a new address each time (for privacy reasons) only to find out afterwards that Hive does not support even generating new addresses!?

Anyway, once I had got over my disbelief I decided to try and find out what is going on with that and as best as I understand it, this was taked about back in 2013 as being "upcoming", now Mike Hearn is saying that it will be "quite easy at this point", and looking at your github it seems that there has been recent discussion on this. So, I am just wondering where you guys are with this?

And if, as I guess you are, you have it in the pipeline soon, when might that be do you think?
Sorry, I didn't have time for this yet. It's coming in the next couple of months definitely, but hard to say when exactly. Mike has been working on support for BIP32 wallets in bitcoinj for months, but it only recently got to a usable state, and there still was no stable official release with BIP32 support.

In the meantime, you can use Hive Web (or soon Hive iOS) which supports BIP32 from day one.

OK cool that is very interesting. Thanks for the update and again thanks for your work on this. Perhaps I will suggest that the user I am helping with this wallet donate a (small) amount of BTC to you guys to help with the project and to act as a test send for him, do you have a public donate address?
Activity: 145
Merit: 100
┗(°0°)┛
hivewallet do you have any update on this? I am trying to help a hivewallet user and spent quite a bit of time talking about change addresses and using a new address each time (for privacy reasons) only to find out afterwards that Hive does not support even generating new addresses!?

Anyway, once I had got over my disbelief I decided to try and find out what is going on with that and as best as I understand it, this was taked about back in 2013 as being "upcoming", now Mike Hearn is saying that it will be "quite easy at this point", and looking at your github it seems that there has been recent discussion on this. So, I am just wondering where you guys are with this?

And if, as I guess you are, you have it in the pipeline soon, when might that be do you think?
Sorry, I didn't have time for this yet. It's coming in the next couple of months definitely, but hard to say when exactly. Mike has been working on support for BIP32 wallets in bitcoinj for months, but it only recently got to a usable state, and there still was no stable official release with BIP32 support.

In the meantime, you can use Hive Web (or soon Hive iOS) which supports BIP32 from day one.
Activity: 302
HD support (BIP 32 and 39) in bitcoinj is practically ready to enter beta and get real testing from real users: we're just waiting for the Bouncy Castle folks to release a much faster version of their library (because HDW means calculating far more keys than before).

For Hive, I think preparing a preview/beta of HD wallets would be quite easy at this point.

Anyway, thanks for making a nice user-friendly wallet  Wink

P.s I could not find any test/testing/dev branches on you github, as I thought it might have been implemented in there already, but I am quite a github amateur....
Activity: 378
Merit: 325
hivewallet.com

As of today, we are looking for translators for Hive Web and Hive iOS!

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=722983;all
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000
nahtnam.com
I don't think I have permission to talk!

Try again please?

Nope. Whenever I type a message and hit enter, nothing happens.
hivewallet.com

Try again please?
legendary
nahtnam.com
Hive now has a public chat room on Skype. Come by and talk with us!

http://is.gd/Vf0hcW (yes, that opens the room in Skype)

hivewallet.com
Hive now has a public chat room on Skype. Come by and talk with us!

http://is.gd/Vf0hcW (yes, that opens the room in Skype)
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129
HD support (BIP 32 and 39) in bitcoinj is practically ready to enter beta and get real testing from real users: we're just waiting for the Bouncy Castle folks to release a much faster version of their library (because HDW means calculating far more keys than before).

For Hive, I think preparing a preview/beta of HD wallets would be quite easy at this point.
┗(°0°)┛
Any plans/eta of porting bip 32/39 to android?
I'm not sure about Android, but we definitely plan to bring BIP32 to Hive OSX in the summer/autumn - we're waiting for this to be included in a stable bitcoinj release, and then we'll have to spend some time adapting the UI to that.
Activity: 475
Merit: 252

This +1
Activity: 430
Activity: 475
Merit: 252
Will hiveJS ever have something like a username and password, or will it always be the 12 word phrase and pin?

I like the PIN, but not the 12 word phrase.

Just to add to the 12 word phrase. FYI this is known as BIP0039, and is used for generating seeds with over 128 bits - 256 bits of entropy. (You could utilize it for larger amounts, but 256 bits of entropy is a 24 word phrase, any longer would be hard to remember)

So the hive-js 12 word phrase is 128bits of entropy to create the seed. Plus it uses a key derivation algorithm to prevent (aka slow down) brute forcing.

User-name and password schemes require trust with the server of the service.

the 12 word phrase you have is nearly impossible to brute force, and you can use it on any device with hive-js.  In fact, the Android app Wallet32 uses the same algorithms, so you can input your 12 word phrase into it and use the exact same addresses as your hive-js wallet.

No server will ever store your private keys, they will only exist wherever you have placed the 12 word phrase. The 4-digit PIN is used to encrypt those words and save them on your device.
┗(°0°)┛
Will hiveJS ever have something like a username and password, or will it always be the 12 word phrase and pin?

AFAIK there aren't plans for any user/pass kind of authentication. That would actually be a significantly less secure solution - if you could log in with a username/password to your wallet anywhere, that would mean we'd have to keep your master private key on our server, encrypted ony with that password. If something happens to our server... poof, all money gone from all wallets.

Right now we don't keep the private key on the server, it's only kept in the browser storage and (in the form of the passphrase) wherever you decide to write it down. The passphrase doesn't give access to the key that's stored somewhere else, the passphrase *is* the key. And it's implemented according to common BIP standards, so you should theoretically be able to use the same 12-word passphrase in other wallets (which obviously wouldn't work with a username/password pair).
legendary
nahtnam.com

legendary
nahtnam.com
Are you guys planning to make a chrome app for hivejs? By a chrome app, I mean a desktop one using chromes WebKit (if you don't know what I mean, check authy's chrome app).

Also, would it be possible for hive JS to have offline transaction on mobile?
Oh wow, I didn't know that was possible, this looks interesting. Actually, I'm reading about building Chrome extensions at this very moment, but I was thinking about a classic Chrome extension with a popup, like e.g. Ghostery. Do you think an extension that launches from the dock is a better idea? Do you know if the process of building it is much different than a normal extension?

Personally, I think that an app that can be launched off of the dock (desktop packaged app) would be better than an extension.

It shouldn't be too hard to do. Here is a link to a lifehacker post that goes in detail. http://lifehacker.com/new-chrome-apps-run-on-your-desktop-offline-and-outsid-1258080268.

I'm not that skilled of a programmer, but if you want, you can PM me and we can work together.
┗(°0°)┛
Are you guys planning to make a chrome app for hivejs? By a chrome app, I mean a desktop one using chromes WebKit (if you don't know what I mean, check authy's chrome app).

Oh wow, I didn't know that was possible, this looks interesting. Actually, I'm reading about building Chrome extensions at this very moment, but I was thinking about a classic Chrome extension with a popup, like e.g. Ghostery. Do you think an extension that launches from the dock is a better idea? Do you know if the process of building it is much different than a normal extension?
legendary
nahtnam.com

hivewallet.com
Really? Of all the far-fetched claims in the bitcoin world, your main contention is that I didn't really put 2 BTC into SF1? Why the hell would I lie about that? I lost far more than that in NeoBee.

I just want to see the most likely success from SF1 actually succeed.

NanoAkron, let's please drop this topic. If you want to help us succeed, please spread the word about our work.
Activity: 252
About your investment.

Pics or it didn't happen. Where's your proof?

Really? Of all the far-fetched claims in the bitcoin world, your main contention is that I didn't really put 2 BTC into SF1? Why the hell would I lie about that? I lost far more than that in NeoBee.

I just want to see the most likely success from SF1 actually succeed.
Pages:
Jump to: