Author

Topic: IOTA - page 226. (Read 1473233 times)

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1020
expect(brain).toHaveBeenUsed()
August 30, 2017, 02:24:01 PM
Guys, what if somebody generates the same seed as i did and uses that to login into my wallet?

If i was able to generate that seed it is possible that somebody in the future generates the same one

Thats why you should generate a very complicated seed...
This is a fundamental thing in whole crypto space. You have problems with any coin (also bitcoin), if you don't create a safe private key.
But if you generate a random one (for example with the algorithm of the wallet) you are fine. Just make sure, that you don't use the random function of powershell of the lately announcment.

If this still seems unsafe for you, because you are new to this whole private key thoughts, I recommend this:
https://www.weusecoins.com/amazing-math-bitcoin-private-keys/

I've already generated a 81 digits key

Can i make it stronger?

hopefully not, you need letters, as all digits besides 9 are ignored...
if you ment characters and generated with the wallet there is no need to make it stronger
Activity: 244
Merit: 100
August 30, 2017, 02:15:47 PM
Guys, what if somebody generates the same seed as i did and uses that to login into my wallet?

If i was able to generate that seed it is possible that somebody in the future generates the same one

This is a fundamental thing in whole crypto space. You have problems with any coin (also bitcoin), if you don't create a safe private key.
But if you generate a random one (for example with the algorithm of the wallet) you are fine. Just make sure, that you don't use the random function of powershell of the lately announcment.

If this still seems unsafe for you, because you are new to this whole private key thoughts, I recommend this:

I've already generated a 81 digits key

Can i make it stronger?
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1020
expect(brain).toHaveBeenUsed()
August 30, 2017, 11:41:11 AM

Activity: 244
August 30, 2017, 11:30:33 AM

Activity: 262
Merit: 250
August 30, 2017, 08:40:21 AM
I want to ask that, Can Tangle technology transaction need to conform 30 days? My one transaction is pending from 30 days. What is the main problem? Can anyone clarify?

try reatach
Activity: 392
Looking for shmexy coins!
August 30, 2017, 06:57:16 AM
My timing yesterday was so lucky, I managed to grab some around 17k. Very happy. Price is bouncing already but overall we seam to be on a downtrend still. Anyway I am looking forward to 2018 already.
Activity: 262
August 30, 2017, 05:13:47 AM
IOTA looks like a solid long term investment. But why is the circulating and total supply so much (billions !!!) and why are they trading only in these unfriendly exchanges ?? why not the popular exchanges ??
well you may say bitfinex but I don't like bitfinex at all !!!

i do like bitfinex, visually looks more advanced than kraken or others,
also, whats the problem? if you dont like it, just buy and remove the coins to your wallet, not big deal, not even ID required to trade,

bitfinex is helping other exchangers to integrate iota, looks like its difficult since there is no blockchain like all the other coins.

the supply is almost the same as the amount of satoshis of bitcoin, just a 27 vs 21 ratio,

2,100,000.000,000,000 satohis
2,779,530,283,277,761 iotas

Activity: 518
Merit: 102
August 30, 2017, 03:34:16 AM
IOTA looks like a solid long term investment. But why is the circulating and total supply so much (billions !!!) and why are they trading only in these unfriendly exchanges ?? why not the popular exchanges ??
well you may say bitfinex but I don't like bitfinex at all !!!
Activity: 146
Merit: 150
August 29, 2017, 08:11:08 PM
I want to ask that, Can Tangle technology transaction need to conform 30 days? My one transaction is pending from 30 days. What is the main problem? Can anyone clarify?

It requires some skills and a little bit of patience to use IOTA wallet at this moment. But the learning curve is very short. Basically if your transaction is not confirmed in 30 minutes, you should change the server IP address and do the reattach (clicking the show bundle in the History and clicking the reattach). 99.9% of transactions can be confirmed in 3 to 10 minutes after 1 or 2 reattach (if needed) if you do it right.

Most of the pending issue is caused by the server which you connect your light wallet to. A server is not always synced or it can be too busy because many people try to use it in the same time. you need to constantly check if your wallet is synced or not.
Activity: 308
August 29, 2017, 05:49:35 PM
It's such a great crypto to be a part of. People might not see it yet. But IOTA will explode ounce its tech starts to become more mainstream and prominent. IOTA really compliments the blockchain well.

-Ethereal
Activity: 392
Looking for shmexy coins!
August 29, 2017, 05:02:46 PM
Wow I never thought I would see iota at 16k again. Finally decided to open a Bitfinex account and buy some. Hopefully the price will not rise before my btc reaches finex.
Activity: 924
Merit: 556
August 29, 2017, 03:48:47 PM
Is there a reason or any news which has caused the price drop of around 20% since four days?

It is hard to get valid and honest information about IOTA. The thread is not providing much information. I have heard about the Slack channel where most communication is done. Any news from there?
Activity: 34
Merit: 0
August 29, 2017, 03:25:12 PM
legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1001
August 29, 2017, 10:55:19 AM
Anyone know when Solarcoin will be fully integrating Iota for energy monitoring?
Activity: 16
August 29, 2017, 09:32:58 AM
I have tried the android application available on the playstore. it is a joke in term of security.
Some users even complain about missing tokens with a balance equal to zero, quite the lottery.

I will not put anything more than 10 bucks on it until it is more secure.

The wallet works fine. Used it for some ping pong transaction between it and the desktop client. It now has a simple password logging system so the seed only has to be entered once.

It is always newbie accounts with less than 10 messages FUDding , a lot of jealousy around I guess. Byteballers are angry people.
First,  I did not mention that the application behave strangely for me but you can read the comments below the application section on playstore.
You cannot imagine that I forged them with multiple accounts right?

Second, from a security perspective, for example, there is just no password policy at all.
You can creat very weak password (like single space) to protect your wallet for example.
If you reply that is up to you to decide the complexity and lenght of password, then it is a dead discussion with a newbie that I will not follow.

That is just one amongst other discovered flaws after 10 minutes of playing with it with no tool.

Also I am working in IT security but hey see the reality... i have just less than 1k messages in your forum, so I am probably wrong right ?

If you are talking about the desktop, Windows wallet:

Addressing the password comment: Your seed is your password. You cannot access your funds without it nor can anyone else. I think 81 characters is quite adequate, even a little overkill, for a seed/password. IOTA may have issues but, security is not one of them. And you say you can use a single space password. Again, not correct, the wallet will complain if the password is less than the minimum required, 60 characters.

If you are talking about Android, sorry, don't use anything Android, just asking for trouble.

PS: I also work in IT security, the IOTA desktop wallet is not a risk as far as we know.

My comments was clearly related to the Android application.(i mentionned Android) See my 1st message.
Activity: 1078
Merit: 310
AKA RJF - Member since '13
August 29, 2017, 08:47:19 AM
I have tried the android application available on the playstore. it is a joke in term of security.
Some users even complain about missing tokens with a balance equal to zero, quite the lottery.

The wallet works fine. Used it for some ping pong transaction between it and the desktop client. It now has a simple password logging system so the seed only has to be entered once.

It is always newbie accounts with less than 10 messages FUDding , a lot of jealousy around I guess. Byteballers are angry people.
First,  I did not mention that the application behave strangely for me but you can read the comments below the application section on playstore.

Second, from a security perspective, for example, there is just no password policy at all.
You can creat very weak password (like single space) to protect your wallet for example.
If you reply that is up to you to decide the complexity and lenght of password, then it is a dead discussion with a newbie that I will not follow.

That is just one amongst other discovered flaws after 10 minutes of playing with it with no tool.

Also I am working in IT security but hey see the reality... i have just less than 1k messages in your forum, so I am probably wrong right ?

If you are talking about the desktop, Windows wallet:

Addressing the password comment: Your seed is your password. You cannot access your funds without it nor can anyone else. I think 81 characters is quite adequate, even a little overkill, for a seed/password. IOTA may have issues but, security is not one of them. And you say you can use a single space password. Again, not correct, the wallet will complain if the password is less than the minimum required, 60 characters.

If you are talking about Android, sorry, don't use anything Android, just asking for trouble.

PS: I also work in IT security, the IOTA desktop wallet is not a risk as far as we know.
Activity: 16
August 29, 2017, 08:21:36 AM

First,  I did not mention that the application behave strangely for me but you can read the comments below the application section on playstore.

legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085
Money often costs too much.
August 29, 2017, 06:06:21 AM
Finally, out.
Opportunity cost is too great, other alts have been on a terror, IOTA has done diddly.
Plus the Bitfinex drama, not waiting for another exchange.

Thanks for the ride - bye.

EDIT:  Feel free to buy.  Having sold, it will probably moon. GL to all!
Bitfinex managed to substract one of my withdrawals from ballance, without ever popping up inside Tangle explorer. Not a big mess, but happened.
Done all transitions by now, and recognized that missing amount during the procedure.

I agree upon needing more exchanges. At least one serving U.S. customers would be nice.
Totally disagreeing upon giving up that early.
Activity: 4
August 29, 2017, 01:58:58 AM
I converted 25 bitcoins to iota last week, without any problem at bitfinex, i got them in my desktop wallet, my first thoughts, if this lives up to promises it will be huge. now ecosystem is no good, but i believe it will improve, the wallet and transfers not functioning very well at the moment, but i guess there is a turn everything will take a leap soon.

Now, i transferred 114gis to another wallet, but my remaining 10 gi, two days passed, still pending, but no panic, it is not there, but i want to believe it will get there eventually, that is the reason i put a good amount in this.
Activity: 270
Merit: 103
August 28, 2017, 05:06:09 PM
How much did IOTA raised during their ICO? Because the first time I saw it, the market cap was like a billion. Was this a coin that raised hundreds of millions?

~500k$ if I remember correctly

I find that hard to believe, Impossible. The profits would be insane. The profits would be 4,900x. 49 dollars for every penny.

Well, not that much. Actually was 1337 BTC, and current market cap is 577030 BTC, so is 432x BTC wise.

That sounds much more reasonable. I mean compared to 4,900x. Perhaps the ICO was when Bitcoin was much less. I really, really want to experience that feeling of investing into something that will give me a 432x return.
Jump to: