Author

Topic: IOTA - page 290. (Read 1473233 times)

Activity: 67
Merit: 10
June 24, 2017, 03:50:11 PM
So...I bought some IOTA, I installed the light node, got to the seed screen and I have to make up an 81 lettered password plus the number 9 which I need to enter every time I need to access the wallet?

Is this correct or am I missing something, because this really sounds pretty sh1tty to me. 

I'm sure this has probably been addressed and there is a reason but if somebody could put some logic to this method of security which I presume 99/100 people will leave their password in a txt doc to copy/paste.

I'm really trying to like IOTA really am... this just seems weird to me.

Please convince me it's good

Cheers

You are right. You have to insert the seed to get access to your token. But remember IOTA is still in beta stage.
I am convinced there will be more features soon and you can use a wallet with password for daily transaktions. At the Moment the wallet is only to keep your token safe.
For me it is ok because I dont use them to pay something. I keep my seed on paper only. If I want to check my balance I only check my address in the IOTA browser. You can use it by copy past.

Ok, fair point... I'll suck it up for now, but you'd imagine a coin in the top 10 to be more developed in this area.  I suppose all their time has gone into the infrastructure of a new blockchain.  It's a shame because people like me only see the shell and not whats under the hood.  Give us shiny switches to play with and we'll sign up to anything.

Activity: 249
Merit: 250
June 24, 2017, 03:38:00 PM

I'm sure this has probably been addressed and there is a reason but if somebody could put some logic to this method of security which I presume 99/100 people will leave their password in a txt doc to copy/paste.

Use a password manager. Keepass or something.
Activity: 68
June 24, 2017, 03:33:58 PM
So...I bought some IOTA, I installed the light node, got to the seed screen and I have to make up an 81 lettered password plus the number 9 which I need to enter every time I need to access the wallet?

Is this correct or am I missing something, because this really sounds pretty sh1tty to me. 

Cheers

You are right. You have to insert the seed to get access to your token. But remember IOTA is still in beta stage.
I am convinced there will be more features soon and you can use a wallet with password for daily transaktions. At the Moment the wallet is only to keep your token safe.
For me it is ok because I dont use them to pay something. I keep my seed on paper only. If I want to check my balance I only check my address in the IOTA browser. You can use it by copy past.
Activity: 269
June 24, 2017, 03:33:03 PM
Cheers

The 81 random chars seeds are recommended, especially for the quantum computer resistance. You can make a shorter one but it will be less secure. The longer the passwords, the more secure. The passwords you can remember are usually less secured because they usually won't be long enough. Better to be safe than sorry.
June 24, 2017, 02:47:39 PM
i feel that another boost is coming up very soon and it will break new top record.. Wink Wink Wink
June 24, 2017, 02:12:38 PM

Cheers
Activity: 269
June 24, 2017, 01:59:20 PM

This is a very good video. What I want to add is that this video didn't mentioned that IOTA also can transfer data between devices without any fees. This is a very important feature for IOTA and will make IOTA very useful in many business use cases such as in health care, finance, insurance, climate research and etc. because it can help to secure data and keep data integrity and identify the devices. It is by no means less important than the micro payments.
Activity: 274
Merit: 251
June 24, 2017, 01:58:48 PM
Anyone here to help a newbie? I have no slack and I can't find how to get some tokens, how can I mine this and what should I do?

IOTA you can buy @ Bitfinex.
Other than exchanges? you know it's not like someone asking you where do babies come from and then you answer: you can buy them

From supermarket  Wink. if it's not mine-able then why would I buy? I'll try to find something which I could mine it myself.

1st learn what IOTA can deliver and then write something...
https://youtu.be/C_Y4KykzCaI?t=16s
June 24, 2017, 01:28:29 PM
i think the wallet should not allow by default use any address you used to send money

or somehow mark it "red" or whatever...

Agreed, standard across the board
June 24, 2017, 01:23:04 PM
Anyone here to help a newbie? I have no slack and I can't find how to get some tokens, how can I mine this and what should I do?

Other than exchanges? you know it's not like someone asking you where do babies come from and then you answer: you can buy them

From supermarket  Wink. if it's not mine-able then why would I buy? I'll try to find something which I could mine it myself.
hmmm.. since u r not buying any iota.. why would u be here at the 1st place then..
Activity: 262
June 24, 2017, 12:59:28 PM
i think the wallet should not allow by default use any address you used to send money

or somehow mark it "red" or whatever...
June 24, 2017, 12:19:39 PM

From supermarket  Wink. if it's not mine-able then why would I buy? I'll try to find something which I could mine it myself.

Is IOTA inflationary? Can I mine IOTA's?

All IOTA's which will ever exist have been created with the genesis transaction. This means that the total supply of IOTA's will always stay the same and you cannot "mine" IOTA's. Therefore keep in mind, if you do Proof of Work in IOTA you are not generating new IOTA tokens, you're simply verifying other transactions.

The created IOTA`s were distributed in a crowdsale. At the moment the only way to get IOTA is to buy at bitfinex.
June 24, 2017, 11:51:12 AM
Can someone explain me why an address which were used to send tokens should not be used to receive again?

You can use an address for receiving as long as you have not used it for any outgoing transaction. What this means is that once you have sent a transaction with a specific address as input, you should never use it again. This is because IOTA uses Winternitz one-time signatures which degrade security exponentially after each reuse.

http://www.tangleblog.com/2017/06/05/ama-answers-for-newcomers/

Good to know. Thank you
Activity: 588
Merit: 541
June 24, 2017, 11:45:12 AM

June 24, 2017, 11:28:03 AM

you hold it at your wallet and then you move it to another exchanger when you want...

hope they make a new wallet soon... this JAVA crap kills me, i feel more secure with the MIOTAS on the exchanger secured with a second factor authentification than in the wallet...

I'm new to crypto and I'm still learning. Can you please explain why the IOTA wallet isnt as secure as even some trading sites.

Don't listen to that. You should transfer your token to your wallet. The only thing you need is your seed. Write it down and keep it in a safe place.
Activity: 656
Merit: 500
June 24, 2017, 10:50:00 AM
Can someone explain me why an address which were used to send tokens should not be used to receive again?

You can use an address for receiving as long as you have not used it for any outgoing transaction. What this means is that once you have sent a transaction with a specific address as input, you should never use it again. This is because IOTA uses Winternitz one-time signatures which degrade security exponentially after each reuse.

http://www.tangleblog.com/2017/06/05/ama-answers-for-newcomers/
Activity: 7
Merit: 0
June 24, 2017, 10:44:59 AM

you hold it at your wallet and then you move it to another exchanger when you want...

hope they make a new wallet soon... this JAVA crap kills me, i feel more secure with the MIOTAS on the exchanger secured with a second factor authentification than in the wallet...

I'm new to crypto and I'm still learning. Can you please explain why the IOTA wallet isnt as secure as even some trading sites.
Activity: 274
Merit: 251
June 24, 2017, 09:39:48 AM

Activity: 588
Merit: 541
June 24, 2017, 09:24:43 AM
June 24, 2017, 07:57:54 AM
Jump to: