Author

Topic: IOTA - page 671. (Read 1473233 times)

Activity: 656
Merit: 500
February 20, 2016, 07:20:25 PM
I see we are saying "days", and its been weeks. And looks like uts gonna be weeks still. So where are we getting "days"?
This is not surprising at all. Just look at Jinn project. These guys will always delay things and never release anything substantial. And if you doubt them, you will get insulted. I wish this wasn't the case. Pretty much anyone who throwed their money here, should have done their due diligence and by now know how high the risk was.
Activity: 588
Merit: 503
Free Julian Assange
February 20, 2016, 01:28:57 PM
I see we are saying "days", and its been weeks. And looks like uts gonna be weeks still. So where are we getting "days"?

Yes of course, now we will stop all the security and beta test so you can sell your IOTA fast and get ezy cash.

Activity: 279
Merit: 100
February 20, 2016, 11:57:32 AM
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
February 20, 2016, 03:36:14 AM
Will IOTA have an API for doing something along these lines, or if not, will the source code be available at some point?
Yes to both.

Would it possibly be suitable for real-time communication?
No, if you mean messaging feature.
Activity: 3
Merit: 0
February 20, 2016, 02:24:10 AM
I am a game developer working on a multiplayer game. The project is in a very early stage, however I am intrigued at the possibility of using IOTA as an in-game currency and method for distributing the computing power of the clients; ie to make sure that they all agree on some master state, while at the same time contributing to the computation of the game without the existence of a master server and being extremely difficult if not virtually impossible to hack.

The DAG appears to solve the problem of distributed agreement in a highly efficient manner. My questions then are:

• Will IOTA have an API for doing something along these lines, or if not, will the source code be available at some point?
  • Would it possibly be suitable for real-time communication?

I understand IOTA is not even released yet, however, just as there is a huge market in the Internet of Things, so there also may be for decentralized massive multiplayer online games. It would be very interesting to see if something like this is possible; and if so it would greatly lower the barrier for creating an MMO. (Not to mention the promotion such a thing would entail)
Activity: 76
Merit: 10
February 19, 2016, 06:44:06 PM
Activity: 714
February 19, 2016, 01:24:14 PM
I can follow your argument. But it is much more complicated to get IOTA tokens when you missed the ICO as I do.

I found someone from who I could buy 50k tokens. (S)he offered me to find a trusted escrow. I have to send the money to the escrow and it will hold my Bitcoins until wallet has been released. Then (s)he will send my the tokens and escrow will release my Bitcoin funds. Very complicated this way. It would be much easier to buy NXT and buy some tokens on the platform. Counterparty would have been a more liquid and accessible alternative.

Okay, so you do not longer support Nxt, do you? I was wondering why you did not offer IOTA token on the NXT AE, similar to NEM.

Come-from-beyond was very active and supportive for Nxt. Wondering if he still support Nxt and consult the Nxt devs?

I quitted Nxt development long time ago.

Because of lack of liquidity of the NXTs we did not offer it on the AE (except for through JINN tokens). Nxt is a fine project, but at the end of the day if the tokens got no liquidity a real company can't do anything with it.

But that would mess up the entire structure of the crowdsale, at one point they have to end, so regardless of which other tokens we had accepted for sale it would not make it easier to acquire them today for you. The crowdsale was quite well marketed, albeit only lasting a little less than 1 month. This is always the case with these crowdsales. I would highly advise you to exercise judgment before buying from forum users. Soon after release IOTA will be on exchanges where you have (at least more) confidence.

What he is referring to is making a ledger of what everyone owns, and making an asset tradable to those who want to claim it, get marked off that ledger and sell the asset. Those who are buying know you will send them the Iota if they have the asset. So its just creating a market early.

I can wait, but that is what he was referring to I believe.

Yea, creating a market early is the last thing we wanted, so we would not do that. This has been our philosophy from day 1: tech and community before all else. If speculation became big before even release it could prove very detrimental to the project itself.
Activity: 419
Merit: 250
February 19, 2016, 12:44:40 PM
I can follow your argument. But it is much more complicated to get IOTA tokens when you missed the ICO as I do.

I found someone from who I could buy 50k tokens. (S)he offered me to find a trusted escrow. I have to send the money to the escrow and it will hold my Bitcoins until wallet has been released. Then (s)he will send my the tokens and escrow will release my Bitcoin funds. Very complicated this way. It would be much easier to buy NXT and buy some tokens on the platform. Counterparty would have been a more liquid and accessible alternative.

Okay, so you do not longer support Nxt, do you? I was wondering why you did not offer IOTA token on the NXT AE, similar to NEM.

Come-from-beyond was very active and supportive for Nxt. Wondering if he still support Nxt and consult the Nxt devs?

Because of lack of liquidity of the NXTs we did not offer it on the AE (except for through JINN tokens). Nxt is a fine project, but at the end of the day if the tokens got no liquidity a real company can't do anything with it.

But that would mess up the entire structure of the crowdsale, at one point they have to end, so regardless of which other tokens we had accepted for sale it would not make it easier to acquire them today for you. The crowdsale was quite well marketed, albeit only lasting a little less than 1 month. This is always the case with these crowdsales. I would highly advise you to exercise judgment before buying from forum users. Soon after release IOTA will be on exchanges where you have (at least more) confidence.

What he is referring to is making a ledger of what everyone owns, and making an asset tradable to those who want to claim it, get marked off that ledger and sell the asset. Those who are buying know you will send them the Iota if they have the asset. So its just creating a market early.

I can wait, but that is what he was referring to I believe.
February 19, 2016, 12:36:08 PM
IOTA needs its own Slock.it.  Interesting video on their progress:

http://livestream.com/liftconference/events/4805866/videos/112057104

I have spoken to Slock.it before, Tual is extremely busy so we haven't had time to setup a call that fit both our schedules, but we will. Implementing IOTA into Slock.it would be quite easy and not time consuming.

But yes if someone wants to start a competitor to Slock.it from within IOTA community we're all for it. The more the merrier!
February 19, 2016, 12:34:57 PM
When beta?

Nothing new since the crowdsale

You must not be paying attention. If you join our Ryver you'll see a lot of testing.
Activity: 86
February 19, 2016, 12:06:04 PM
When beta?

Nothing new since the crowdsale
Activity: 1069
Merit: 682
February 19, 2016, 05:55:17 AM
legendary
Activity: 2124
Merit: 1013
K-ing®
February 19, 2016, 01:43:19 AM

but that person doesnt risk anything; if IOTA price will be higher then your offer he will sell it on market, and you get back your BTC from escrow and pay fee.
The only right  way is that you and person that have tokens send BTC to escorow and when when seller send tokens gets BTC back
Activity: 23
Merit: 0
February 19, 2016, 01:09:04 AM
IOTA needs its own Slock.it.  Interesting video on their progress:

http://livestream.com/liftconference/events/4805866/videos/112057104
February 18, 2016, 02:12:10 PM

tyz
legendary
Activity: 3360
Merit: 1533
February 18, 2016, 01:59:57 PM

Activity: 86
February 18, 2016, 11:30:47 AM
Interesting articles about IOT

http://www.iotnewsnetwork.com/magazine/three-trends-that-will-bring-the-internet-of-things-to-the-forefront/

The Hardware: IoT as a Service
We are now seeing a new breed of “IoT as a service” platforms, known as Smart Tag Consumer Technology companies (STCT), entering the market. They are taking away the need for expensive technology outsourcing houses and making the IoT accessible to manufacturers everywhere. These companies allow manufacturers to incorporate IoT functionality into their goods with virtually no overhead.
Powered by a cloud-based service and requiring no electronics or batteries, the smart tags can be included in a variety of materials, ranging from metal to synthetic laminates, with full branding of the sponsoring company. STCTs offer “Instant-on,” Smart Tag solutions — manufacturers simply need to attach the tag to their product and they are ready to go, only requiring activation by the consumer.
The Smart Tags provide a number of data-gathering functionalities, as well as offer value to customers with product recovery services for lost items. As the technology and functionality develops we will see increasing numbers of producers including tags in their products and a whole lot more value added for customers.

I want my own Smart Tag Consumer Technology company! Grin

thanks for this interesting article
Activity: 588
Merit: 503
Free Julian Assange
February 18, 2016, 10:52:28 AM
Interesting articles about IOT

http://www.iotnewsnetwork.com/magazine/three-trends-that-will-bring-the-internet-of-things-to-the-forefront/

The Hardware: IoT as a Service
We are now seeing a new breed of “IoT as a service” platforms, known as Smart Tag Consumer Technology companies (STCT), entering the market. They are taking away the need for expensive technology outsourcing houses and making the IoT accessible to manufacturers everywhere. These companies allow manufacturers to incorporate IoT functionality into their goods with virtually no overhead.
Powered by a cloud-based service and requiring no electronics or batteries, the smart tags can be included in a variety of materials, ranging from metal to synthetic laminates, with full branding of the sponsoring company. STCTs offer “Instant-on,” Smart Tag solutions — manufacturers simply need to attach the tag to their product and they are ready to go, only requiring activation by the consumer.
The Smart Tags provide a number of data-gathering functionalities, as well as offer value to customers with product recovery services for lost items. As the technology and functionality develops we will see increasing numbers of producers including tags in their products and a whole lot more value added for customers.

I want my own Smart Tag Consumer Technology company! Grin
February 17, 2016, 04:24:44 PM

legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
February 17, 2016, 03:30:56 PM

Define "support", please.
Jump to: