Author

Topic: IOTA - page 747. (Read 1471689 times)

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
October 28, 2015, 07:15:25 PM
As for complying with laws, my current thinking is to sell the software with some tokens for use at set prices to end users (not investors)

It is not at all clear there are "end users" for something like this for years to come. It will take a significant period of time to build a market with supporting devices, services, and a large enough population of users, all interacting with each other using the token as a tool to accomplish something else. So I doubt that anyone buying it now could be viewed as anything but a speculator (including long term investor).

That might be different for some other kind of token such as one backing assets in a game or even maybe decentralized storage. Something with actual ready-to-go uses. But that seems a bit off topic on this thread.
Activity: 376
Merit: 300
October 28, 2015, 07:14:23 PM
We know that mining can't be used here because CfB has stated that it undermines the security model.

Can someone link me to that and/or the relevant page of the white paper? Seems to be mining could be used to generate check points. That was one of tweaks I had in mind.

PoS can be used for that as well.
Activity: 572
Merit: 506
October 28, 2015, 07:14:19 PM
But the cumulative weight of that tx is not so big, so why the merchant should accept it?
NP, the merchant waits of course for normal amount of confirmations.
On your picture it has 1 confirmation only?..
I can draw more pictures. But I don't think it's necessary. Imagine that the attacker started preparing for the attack a month ago. He spent the whole month to accumulate PoW on top of the second doublespend. He published no transactions during the month. Then he publishes the first doublespending transaction, provides the first confirmation, thus attaching it to recent part of the tangle, waits for the merchant to send him his puchase. Then publishes his secret subtangle and attaches in to the legit subtangle. The first doublespending transaction now is rejected by the network, the second doublespend has more weight.
Activity: 715
Merit: 500
October 28, 2015, 07:14:02 PM
In short: yes we could take up loans by people to buy up IOTA token. There are plenty of these opportunities if one wants to and this would not change if we had premine either, it would just give us even more IOTA.

As for verification process: there is no way to beat sybil, there would be numerous ways to fool this third party too. We could just pay some random people to buy coins via their IDs and then send them to us.

We wont cheat the system, it would be a detriment to IOTA and thus a larger detriment to ourselves than the profit we could get out of manipulating the ICO. This boils down to how inclined you are to believe in conspiracy theories. Fortunately participating in ICO is 100% voluntary.

I understand you can fool to some extent the verification process, but requiring a limit buy-in per user complicated the fooling process a lot.
Activity: 420
Merit: 262
October 28, 2015, 07:10:33 PM
We know that mining can't be used here because CfB has stated that it undermines the security model.

Can someone link me to that and/or the relevant page of the white paper? Seems to be mining could be used to generate check points. That was one of tweaks I had in mind.

If the idea is bootstrapping the distribution and not raising money, then spin off from an existing coin, preferably a widely used one. Multiple coins are even okay but make sure the weighting bears some sane relationship with fair market value (does not have to be exact).

But then I am responsible for how those shares were promoted as investment securities and I don't want to run afoul of the law against selling or offering for sale to the general public unregistered investment securities.

If the idea is raising money while unambiguously complying with all the (perhaps mutually contradictory) laws in the world while at the same time using a structure that achieves a widespread distribution in practice, and is verifiably resistant to cheating, well good luck. I don't know how to do that either.

The only way I can see to do this is either make no promises as to the number of coins you as the seller will end up holding, or do unique buyer verification.

As for complying with laws, my current thinking is to sell the software with some tokens for use at set prices to end users (not investors) with a cap on the size of the sale and user verification (by name and payment account is sufficient), so that it is not a significant amount to be worthwhile for investment and profusely disclaim any expection of future gains. Selling software internationally has not been illegal. Selling shares to investors is very illegal if they are not registered with the SEC in the USA.

Any investors who want large size would have to buy in on the open market later. Typically prices sag after an ICO, but maybe with this strategy where no one can buy in large quantity at the ICO, would have a more positive effect, but again no one knows and expectations of gain can be profusely disclaimed.

Why not give the little guy (the actual users) a chance to get in and maximally spread the distribution? That creates a wider base of support. Mining is dominated by professionals and a small cross-section of the actual users of crypto.
October 28, 2015, 07:07:21 PM
But the cumulative weight of that tx is not so big, so why the merchant should accept it?
On your picture it has 1 confirmation only?..
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
October 28, 2015, 07:07:05 PM
I don't see any way around what I wrote.

Sorry, you wrote so much that I'm not sure what exactly you are talking about.
October 28, 2015, 07:06:25 PM
October 28, 2015, 07:05:47 PM
The attacker doesn't publish it untill he has enough transactions referencing the second doublespending transaction.

The second doublespending won't be referenced because the longest tip already contains the legit transaction.
Anyhow, we are discussing now with CfB ways to define better referral algorithms, which would permit to fence off such attacks in a more efficient way.
Activity: 714
October 28, 2015, 07:04:34 PM
In short: yes we could take up loans by people to buy up IOTA token. There are plenty of these opportunities if one wants to and this would not change if we had premine either, it would just give us even more IOTA.

As for verification process: there is no way to beat sybil, there would be numerous ways to fool this third party too. We could just pay some random people to buy coins via their IDs and then send them to us.

We wont cheat the system, it would be a detriment to IOTA and thus a larger detriment to ourselves than the profit we could get out of manipulating the ICO. This boils down to how inclined you are to believe in conspiracy theories. Fortunately participating in ICO is 100% voluntary.
October 28, 2015, 07:03:52 PM
Then why the merchant would accept it?
It is released and confirmed. If necessary the attacker himself provides the first confirmation, which connects it to a recent tip. The transaction looks legit.
October 28, 2015, 07:02:27 PM
It is released and confirmed. If necessary the attacker himself provides the first confirmation, which connects it to a recent tip. The transaction looks legit.
October 28, 2015, 07:00:11 PM
in the event a honest guy tries to reference a legit tip and the attacker's tip, he'll detect the contradiction and won't do it. Therefore, the attacker's subtangle will be abandoned.

This requires not just an honest guy, but a diligent one as well.
The risk is that honest guys will be lazy and rely on others to go far back in history to check all tx for double spending.

The lazy guys risk that their tx's will be abandoned, because the majority of the nodes won't reference them.

That is precisely how I would have answered. It is quite clear that everyone has a strong incentive to be on a correct branch, else any time down stream someone can broadcast a notice that a branch is incongruent then that branch gets abandoned.

But doesn't this mean that there is a great incentive to not include tips in your branch, because these don't yet have enough veracity to be sure they won't end up being a double-spend. In your system there is often no way to prove which of the double-spends were first, so they both are invalid.

Seems to me no one has an incentive to lengthen instead of broaden the tree. But I haven't absorbed the white paper. Did you address that?
Yes. As mentioned somewhere above on this page (or maybe on the previous one), the (default) referencing algorithm works in such a way that it prefers tips with bigger height. So, if you're too lazy and reference some very old tx's, you take the risk that your tx won't be referenced by others.

But that default doesn't seem to be the correct game theory? This is Prisoner's Dilemma game. Afaics, lower incentive to go first on including a new tip. Just noticed yesterday this research on cases where the pessimistic Nash equilibrium is claimed not to hold (but on quick glance I ponder if they have overly simplistic assumptions in their models).

Obviously if everyone defects to making their own branches (maximally broaden the tree), then no one's tips get lengthened and thus the entire system doesn't function. But is the optimum strategy the default that you assume?
We assume that the node knows that most nodes will behave well, and so it's obliged to behave well too.
October 28, 2015, 06:58:19 PM
Our point is that normally the left yellow tx would be referenced e.g. already by the second green tx.
The attacker doesn't publish it untill he has enough transactions referencing the second doublespending transaction.
Activity: 420
Merit: 262
October 28, 2015, 06:57:35 PM
I agree that it would be nicer to do something else than an ico.
CFB, I see you did not come up with a better idea. In the recent past, if im not mistaken, you were looking at a way to distribution to unique user. Why not pay a third party to do this verification process?

No a better idea. It's impossible to prove that we don't buy our own coins, if we kept some coins as premine we still could buy extra coins, so we put ourselves into the most unprofitable position to lessen advantage of our position to the max degree.

Sorry I don't follow this logic. Can you unpack that and make it more clear? I don't see any way around what I wrote.
October 28, 2015, 06:56:56 PM
The second doublespending won't be referenced because the longest tip already contains the legit transaction.
That's why the transaction which references both the legit subtangle and the second doublespend is red on my picture.
legendary
October 28, 2015, 06:53:22 PM

legendary
October 28, 2015, 06:51:46 PM

If the idea is bootstrapping the distribution and not raising money, then spin off from an existing coin, preferably a widely used one. Multiple coins are even okay but make sure the weighting bears some sane relationship with fair market value (does not have to be exact).

If the idea is raising money while unambiguously complying with all the (perhaps mutually contradictory) laws in the world while at the same time using a structure that is achieves a widespread distribution in practice, and is verifiably resistant to cheating, well good luck. I don't know how to do that either.

The idea is to raise money for hardware supporting Iota.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
October 28, 2015, 06:49:43 PM
This a serious dilemma. I have thought about it a lot. Has anyone else devised a better solution?

If the idea is raising money while unambiguously complying with all the (perhaps mutually contradictory) laws in the world while at the same time using a structure that achieves a widespread distribution in practice, and is verifiably resistant to cheating, well good luck. I don't know how to do that either.
Activity: 715
October 28, 2015, 06:47:47 PM
I agree that it would be nicer to do something else than an ico.
CFB, I see you did not come up with a better idea. In the recent past, if im not mistaken, you were looking at a way to distribution to unique user. Why not pay a third party to do this verification process?

No a better idea. It's impossible to prove that we don't buy our own coins, if we kept some coins as premine we still could buy extra coins, so we put ourselves into the most unprofitable position to lessen advantage of our position to the max degree.

There are way to validate unique user, it only required a trustable third party.
Jump to: