Author

Topic: IOTA - page 750. (Read 1471689 times)

Activity: 572
Merit: 506
October 28, 2015, 11:22:39 AM
Do you mean that a node should traverse more or less the whole DAG to detect doublespends and choose tips that confirm more confirmed doublespends?

No, it should go through tips that it sees and pick 2 good ones.
Then time needed for such a search should be incomparable to time needed for generating PoW (intuitively microseconds vs seconds) and should be neglected.
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
October 28, 2015, 11:16:02 AM
Do you mean that a node should traverse more or less the whole DAG to detect doublespends and choose tips that confirm more confirmed doublespends?

No, it should go through tips that it sees and pick 2 good ones.
October 28, 2015, 11:09:31 AM
OK, maybe you'll try to explain. Let's first consider dependency on L. So PoW difficulty to generate an envelope depends on current number of tips. And the device probably doesn't even know that number. Why does it depend? In Bitcoin and its clones for example difficulty doesn't depend on tps rate or whatever parameter that could be comparable to the number of tips in the DAG.

It depends because some work on finding optimal 2 tips is done.
legendary
October 28, 2015, 10:56:05 AM
OK, maybe you'll try to explain. Let's first consider dependency on L. So PoW difficulty to generate an envelope depends on current number of tips. And the device probably doesn't even know that number. Why does it depend? In Bitcoin and its clones for example difficulty doesn't depend on tps rate or whatever parameter that could be comparable to the number of tips in the DAG.

It depends because some work on finding optimal 2 tips is done.
October 28, 2015, 10:40:10 AM
You should have some considerations, why could h depend on L and N. Otherwise, for broader generality you should also consider dependence on Moon phase, which btw is easier to know for the device than L and N.

I don't know how to react to your post. It looks half-trollish, half-jokish. For a programmer the dependence between those 3 parameters is so obvious that it's impossible to explain to someone else (as most of obvious things).
legendary
October 28, 2015, 10:23:35 AM
You should have some considerations, why could h depend on L and N. Otherwise, for broader generality you should also consider dependence on Moon phase, which btw is easier to know for the device than L and N.

I don't know how to react to your post. It looks half-trollish, half-jokish. For a programmer the dependence between those 3 parameters is so obvious that it's impossible to explain to someone else (as most of obvious things).
October 28, 2015, 09:52:19 AM
A question on the whitepaper.
Why does h - the average time a device needs to do the calculations necessary to issue a transaction depend on L - the total number of tips and N - the total number of transactions? That "total number of transactions" is it the total number of transactions incorporated in the DAG (probably unknown to the device) or what?

It's a general case analysis, a special case (for a particular implementation) may give average time not dependent on some or all these parameters.
Activity: 763
Merit: 500
October 28, 2015, 09:21:51 AM
I hope it will be greater project than Jinn

if you missed the Jinn original auction, you can catch the Iota crowd-sale to make up. Wink
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000
October 28, 2015, 08:59:33 AM
You could always issue it as a NXT asset and accept only SuperBTC if you're not looking for a NXT investment
Activity: 714
October 28, 2015, 08:27:37 AM

It is more fair because it means it's entirely up for grabs to anyone. There is no coins arbitrarily set aside for the developers. If the community insist, please feel free to donate free iotas to us after the ico Wink

So there won't even be any restrictions as to how many a person can buy and hold, I'm guessing.

Which leads to the question, how easy would it be for someone to buy 20% of the ICO and just play around with the market for the next coming months and manipulate it to gain more and more coins?

This is obviously true for any coin of any kind that can be bought whether it's bitcoin, ether, nxt, bts, or any other crypto. But to purchase 20% and then successfully manipulate the market to acquire more and more seems dubious at best and would cost a lot. Those who elect to purchase IOTA tokens will hopefully do so because they are interested in the tech and thus wont be manipulated easily.
Activity: 714
October 28, 2015, 08:24:47 AM
I'm excited for this whats the dev time currently?

ETA for launch of the IOTA client is ~Christmas. Details surrounding ICO will come soon.
Activity: 770
October 28, 2015, 06:06:13 AM
AM I missing something?
Where is the date for ICO/IPO
legendary
Activity: 2124
Merit: 1013
K-ing®
October 28, 2015, 02:27:59 AM
I hope it will be greater project than Jinn
Activity: 574
Merit: 250
October 28, 2015, 12:09:39 AM

It is more fair because it means it's entirely up for grabs to anyone. There is no coins arbitrarily set aside for the developers. If the community insist, please feel free to donate free iotas to us after the ico Wink

So there won't even be any restrictions as to how many a person can buy and hold, I'm guessing.

Which leads to the question, how easy would it be for someone to buy 20% of the ICO and just play around with the market for the next coming months and manipulate it to gain more and more coins?
Activity: 6
Merit: 0
October 27, 2015, 11:55:29 PM
exciting
Activity: 134
Merit: 100
October 27, 2015, 10:30:01 PM
Problem of adoption is real issue u may have great idea but most people still not know what bitcoin is. Is good u pave path with this but is no market outside altcoin niche.
Activity: 118
Merit: 11
Growthcoin Developer and Crypto Geek Since 2009
October 27, 2015, 10:12:37 PM
I'm excited for this whats the dev time currently?
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004
October 27, 2015, 07:25:25 PM
a lot of brain resources

Isn't that your specialty  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004
October 27, 2015, 06:20:50 PM
CFB; I haven't had much time to read over the whitepaper, but can you briefly explain IOTA's ability to interact with other Blockchain's (like BTC and ETH).  I think this is a killer app that has yet to be achieve in an efficient manner by anyone else.  Here is all I've gathered from the IOTA website:

Iota can communicate to blockchains such as Bitcoin and Ethereum to form a cohesive collaboration with these networks. It can strengthen these blockchains' security by providing checkpoints and also act as an oracle for smart contracts.

Can you elaborate alt all, perhaps with a use case?

More use-cases will be illustrated soon as well as more information will be made available. We were actually just talking with a core Ethereum developer about this topic. Still a lot of discussion to be done to come up with very clear overlap that everyone agrees on of course, but this will also be up to the community.

We are open to talk with any community which has a great platform, but can't support scalable micro-transactions for lightweight devices.

Okay, thanks, I figured it might be too early to get a definitive answer.  It has a lot of potential use cases which is exciting!
Activity: 763
October 27, 2015, 04:11:47 PM
machine-to-machine payment rings a bell here.
Jump to: