Pages:
Author

Topic: IOTA Crowdsale - page 79. (Read 182684 times)

legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
November 27, 2015, 08:41:09 AM
Could spamming cause any problems in the Iota network?

Yes, assuming that a spammer is willing to burn a lot of electricity for that. More info - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashcash.
Activity: 763
Merit: 500
November 27, 2015, 08:35:57 AM
In Btc you are supposed to pay a fee, which never happens in IOTA. It could happen in the future that your transaction isnt included by miners if you dont pay a fee,no? Specially if you spam 0.00000001 btc with no fee included transactions.
There are no miners in Iota. Everyone attaches their own transactions to the tangle.

Understand that the problems caused by spamming in Bitcoin network won't happen to Iota becasue there are no blocks and miners in Iota.

Could spamming cause any problems in the Iota network?
Activity: 1069
Merit: 682
November 27, 2015, 08:23:27 AM

There are no miners in Iota. Everyone attaches their own transactions to the tangle.

No miners and no fees,no? So maybe with 1 IOTA it would be more than enough to handle all transactions worldwide in the first years.

1 IOTA would offer ~1.000.000.000 units and the minimum cost of transaction would be 1 IOTA (mmm, sounds familiar)

but if I understand it correct, there will be no fees
legendary
November 27, 2015, 08:20:44 AM
No miners and no fees,no? So maybe with 1 IOTA it would be more than enough to handle all transactions worldwide in the first years.

1 IOTA would offer ~1.000.000.000 units and the minimum cost of transaction would be 1 IOTA (mmm, sounds familiar)

Maybe.
Activity: 288
Merit: 250
November 27, 2015, 08:19:11 AM

legendary
November 27, 2015, 08:09:02 AM
In Btc you are supposed to pay a fee, which never happens in IOTA. It could happen in the future that your transaction isnt included by miners if you dont pay a fee,no? Specially if you spam 0.00000001 btc with no fee included transactions.

November 27, 2015, 08:06:41 AM

And probably that is what makes higher units of satoshis valuable.
legendary
November 27, 2015, 08:01:43 AM
Having no fees, is there any relation on the usage of tokens with the cost of using them?

Im not sure my question makes sense, im a noob. But i mean, by transfering 0.000000001 IOTAs, will you be able to fully use all of its features?

I'm not sure I got you. Show an example where transferring, say, 0.00000001 BTC won't allow you to use all features.
November 27, 2015, 07:56:48 AM
Having no fees, is there any relation on the usage of tokens with the cost of using them?

Im not sure my question makes sense, im a noob. But i mean, by transfering 0.000000001 IOTAs, will you be able to fully use all of its features?
legendary
November 27, 2015, 07:28:47 AM
In that case I assume it would be even bigger issue than Bitcoin Block size. As if IOTA gets significant market share, and reaches masses there'll be billions of IoT devices which would need to agree with network.  Cheesy

Yes.
Activity: 186
Merit: 100
Blockchain Technology Enthusiast, IT Pro
November 27, 2015, 07:20:50 AM
It'd be not much effort, and possible?
Or It'd be difficult to do so?
Or It'd be not possible at all?

It will be easy but it may lead to fragmentation if significant part of the users don't agree to update the software. The users = IoT devices mostly.

In that case I assume it would be even bigger issue than Bitcoin Block size. As if IOTA gets significant market share, and reaches masses there'll be billions of IoT devices which would need to agree with network.  Cheesy
legendary
November 27, 2015, 07:11:12 AM

It will be easy but it may lead to fragmentation if significant part of the users don't agree to update the software. The users = IoT devices mostly.
legendary
November 27, 2015, 07:06:59 AM
Another question, so what is the main benefit of holding IOTA tokens? Is it like NXT where you get privileges to use the network? In other words, these tokens must be owned by an entity if they want to use the service provided by the IOTA network. Correct?

I don't see benefit of holding any tokens, this reminds me a story of one woman who died of hunger having millions in her bank account. In a side-project that I write (decentralized email) these tokens will be used to retrieve messages addressed to those who don't run Iota node.
Activity: 26
Merit: 0
November 27, 2015, 07:02:34 AM
Google search "resistant meaning" Or click this link: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=resistant+meaning

This is what it says:
resistant
rɪˈzɪstənt/Submit
adjective

1. offering resistance to something or someone.
"some of the old Churches are resistant to change"
synonyms: impervious to, proof against, unaffected by, repellent of; unsusceptible to, immune to, invulnerable to; water-resistant, waterproof, impenetrable; rareimperviable to
"a reinforced PVC membrane which is resistant to water"
opposed to, averse to, hostile to, inimical to, against, anti, unwilling to accept, disinclined to accept, reluctant to accept, unenthusiastic about
"she is very resistant to change"
antonyms:   susceptible to, receptive to

2. denoting starch that is not easily broken down by enzymes within the body and is therefore minimally absorbed during digestion.
"cooked rice, like bread, contains a useful amount of resistant starch, which acts like fibre in the digestive system"

Hmm seems to be.. i guess i relate to the term resistant like how a watch or smartphone company states that their device is water "resistant", which does not mean that it is fully capable of avoiding water damage if one just drops it into a lake or the sea. However, i now understand what CFB meant. THanks.
November 27, 2015, 06:59:28 AM
Just a layman question regarding quantum resistant algorithm.

What if IOTA faces issues with the applied algorithm in it's technology to make it quantum resistant in future. Will it be possible to try or make another algorithms work in IOTA tech? As I see there are number of them mentioned wiki link.

November 27, 2015, 06:59:03 AM
The are not the same thing Smiley

Let me put it this way - If i say that maybe in the future, the IOTA network could be under threat from quantum computing attacks. That risk exists and IOTA is merely quantum resistant not 100% guaranteed to be able to fend off such attacks. Would this be a fair statement?

Algorithms used by Iota core fall into https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-quantum_cryptography category.

Good read. Thanks.

Another question, so what is the main benefit of holding IOTA tokens? Is it like NXT where you get privileges to use the network? In other words, these tokens must be owned by an entity if they want to use the service provided by the IOTA network. Correct?
November 27, 2015, 06:48:42 AM
Google search "resistant meaning" Or click this link: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=resistant+meaning

This is what it says:
resistant
rɪˈzɪstənt/Submit
adjective

1. offering resistance to something or someone.
"some of the old Churches are resistant to change"
synonyms: impervious to, proof against, unaffected by, repellent of; unsusceptible to, immune to, invulnerable to; water-resistant, waterproof, impenetrable; rareimperviable to
"a reinforced PVC membrane which is resistant to water"
opposed to, averse to, hostile to, inimical to, against, anti, unwilling to accept, disinclined to accept, reluctant to accept, unenthusiastic about
"she is very resistant to change"
antonyms:   susceptible to, receptive to

2. denoting starch that is not easily broken down by enzymes within the body and is therefore minimally absorbed during digestion.
"cooked rice, like bread, contains a useful amount of resistant starch, which acts like fibre in the digestive system"
legendary
November 27, 2015, 06:44:58 AM

Let me put it this way - If i say that maybe in the future, the IOTA network could be under threat from quantum computing attacks. That risk exists and IOTA is merely quantum resistant not 100% guaranteed to be able to fend off such attacks. Would this be a fair statement?

Algorithms used by Iota core fall into https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-quantum_cryptography category.
November 27, 2015, 06:43:40 AM
I find this technology interesting. However, from what i have read so far, the documentation always stated that the algorithms used in the IOTA network will be quantum resistant not immune. Care to elaborate? Are you suggesting that the network security is going to be 100% clear from any attack vectors that quantum computing could come up with? I am no expert on this, just trying to stay informed as much as possible. THanks.

I use "resistant" and "immune" interchangeably.

legendary
November 27, 2015, 06:37:40 AM
I find this technology interesting. However, from what i have read so far, the documentation always stated that the algorithms used in the IOTA network will be quantum resistant not immune. Care to elaborate? Are you suggesting that the network security is going to be 100% clear from any attack vectors that quantum computing could come up with? I am no expert on this, just trying to stay informed as much as possible. THanks.

I use "resistant" and "immune" interchangeably.
Pages:
Jump to: