Pages:
Author

Topic: Is stealing Bitcoin illegal? - page 48. (Read 39503 times)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250
July 16, 2016, 07:07:59 PM
Any stealing act for anything to anyone is still illegal wether it is online pr not.All stealing avt is considered a crime as long as you dont have permissions of the real owner
thats true, of course it is illegal to steal bitcoins and can attract the attention of the government so you might have trouble with law, i would definitely not do that i think
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
July 16, 2016, 06:54:03 PM
Its illegal to still bitcoin and its a bad thing that you doing and you may receive a bad karma in the future if you do that..
Better to look for a legit way if you want to earn bitcoins many ways to earn bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087
July 16, 2016, 06:51:30 PM
that's an interesting precedent, not that it could ever happen. I guess you could argue that it's a flaw in the protocol and you were dumb and thought addresses came with coins ready to spend.
legendary
Activity: 1820
Merit: 1092
~Full-Time Minter since 2016~
July 16, 2016, 06:49:11 PM
Any stealing act for anything to anyone is still illegal wether it is online pr not.All stealing avt is considered a crime as long as you dont have permissions of the real owner

The real owner? Who decides that if it's possible for me to generate the same address? Just because I generated it after shouldn't mean it's illegal. It's not like exploiting an online wallet to steal private keys and drain the accounts.

I feel like you guys are just guessing to be honest, I want to know if it's legal or illegal to take bitcoins out of an address you just generated. Tongue

well it's impossiBle to answer something thats never Been done By anyone EVER ;P   Not much to Base an answer on ;p

for me, its property, you cant steal another person property

IF you generate an addy and it HAS BTC on it?  SOMEONE PUT IT THERE AND ITS THEIR PROPERTY Wink
staff
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6793
Just writing some code
July 16, 2016, 06:49:00 PM

The real owner? Who decides that if it's possible for me to generate the same address? Just because I generated it after shouldn't mean it's illegal. It's not like exploiting an online wallet to steal private keys and drain the accounts.

I feel like you guys are just guessing to be honest, I want to know if it's legal or illegal to take bitcoins out of an address you just generated. Tongue
It is neither legal nor illegal; there are no laws governing this. Furthermore, if there were laws regarding Bitcoin, it would vary from country to country even though Bitcoin is an neutral international currency.

Taking Bitcoin from an address that you generated that already had Bitcoin would be considered immoral and would be highly frowned upon by the Bitcoin community.
Activity: 161
Merit: 100
July 16, 2016, 06:41:44 PM

legendary
Activity: 1820
Merit: 1092
~Full-Time Minter since 2016~
July 16, 2016, 06:38:46 PM
Let's say I generate a new address and by some miracle it has Bitcoin already in it belonging to somebody else. Is it legal to just take it? I understand those odds are very low, no need to lecture me, I'm just interested.

BTC  is considered a form of property for most countries.   so YES it's illegal to steal it, But specifically your example is a poor one. it would Be ILLEGAL to take BTC in an addy, But it's a statistical impossibility really.   
it would Be IMMORAL for sure to take anothers BTC tho too haha, as it got to the address somehow originally By someone Wink
Activity: 231
July 16, 2016, 06:38:30 PM
Activity: 292
Merit: 251
Telegram: @Adriandmen
July 16, 2016, 06:36:52 PM
Yeah, it's stealing, but it isn't something to worry about in real life.

The chance of that happening is 1 in 2160. It would take forever to actually stumble on an address with bitcoins in it.
Activity: 161
July 16, 2016, 06:32:05 PM
Let's say I generate a new address and by some miracle it has Bitcoin already in it belonging to somebody else. Is it legal to just take it? I understand those odds are very low, no need to lecture me, I'm just interested.
Pages:
Jump to: