Pages:
Author

Topic: Just remove signatures already. As in delete, disable, gone. - page 12. (Read 44829 times)

legendary
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1077
How many people actually click on signature links? I can probably count on one hand how many times I have.... and never spent a penny on any of them.

However, I understand companies need to advertise somewhere and in this case bitcoin related companies need to advertise here so I'm not that bothered really. I just see past them most of the time.

We live in an advertising frenzy world. Everywhere you look is advertising even in the bottom of beer glasses and on pumps at the petrol station, here is no different.

The ads aren't the problem. The problem is the incentive for unknowledgeable people to post as much useless drivel and inane nonsense as they can to increase their post count (and therefore their income). If a bitcoin based company wants to advertise here, they can simply purchase ad space from the forum directly. It's already possible to turn off signatures if you don't want to see them, but it isn't possible to turn off the rediculous amount of nonsense posted by sig ad campaign participants.

I agree there is a lot of drivel posted here to bump post count. Its a shame advertisers require a certain amount of posts per week / month for people to get paid but that's just the way it is.

Unfortunately its just the world we live in, some members are probably making a living spamming forums like this and many others, at the end of the day if its putting food on their families table then that's fair enough.

The internet is full of spam, facebook , twitter, instagram and hundreds of other websites you visit is full of spam. Its shocking really but something we have to come to terms with sad as it is.
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 4658
How many people actually click on signature links? I can probably count on one hand how many times I have.... and never spent a penny on any of them.

However, I understand companies need to advertise somewhere and in this case bitcoin related companies need to advertise here so I'm not that bothered really. I just see past them most of the time.

We live in an advertising frenzy world. Everywhere you look is advertising even in the bottom of beer glasses and on pumps at the petrol station, here is no different.

The ads aren't the problem. The problem is the incentive for unknowledgeable people to post as much useless drivel and inane nonsense as they can to increase their post count (and therefore their income). If a bitcoin based company wants to advertise here, they can simply purchase ad space from the forum directly. It's already possible to turn off signatures if you don't want to see them, but it isn't possible to turn off the rediculous amount of nonsense posted by sig ad campaign participants.
legendary
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1077

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
LIR Dev. www.letitride.io
No, why would anyone want to do that.
1- Its a money maker for us users
2-its a cool way to get your service out there
3-I make money from it.

If the mods are considering listening to the OP, please reconsider.

I agree with you, but your 1st and 2nd points are literally the exact same point.

They are not even close. One is us making money, the other is a service provider getting his service or product out.
2 different things, not even remotely similar.
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
Go figure! | I'm nearing 1337 posts...
3-I make money from it.

I agree with you, but your 1st and 2nd points are literally the exact same point.
Activity: 798
LIR Dev. www.letitride.io
3-I make money from it.

alc
Activity: 129
Merit: 100
You are mistaken.  You are not on the list.
Apologies if the intended humour wasn't obvious.

I don't know for certain, but I suspect that the forum administrators and moderators don't want to have the responsibility of trying to decide which signatures are valid, and which are part of a campaign.
Removing sigs entirely would obviate this responsibility, no?

perhaps the site administration feels that high quality posters should be allowed to benefit financially through advertising for their participation.
Most people perceive and expect a clear distinction between advertisement and content, and ad sigs blur this significantly. If advertisers want to advertise on the site, they should do it through traditional channels, that don't introduce obvious conflicts of interest.
legendary
With sincere respect to Danny's efforts, he is attempting to win a game of whack-a-mole, which history and logic warn against. I wish him well on his war against the moles, but consider it a distinctly Sisyphean task

Clearly, but until/unless some other solution is presented, this solution at least keeps me from abandoning the forum entirely.

- and more to the point, it shouldn't be necessary.

Sure, but at the moment it is.

(He also apparently shitcans people for other, more subjective transgressions, such as profanity, which leads to the amusing possibility that, were I to adopt his list, I'd be unable to see my own posts.)

You are mistaken.  You are not on the list.  I do not ignore people for using profanity.  I ignore people for "exceeding my patience with posts that contained profanity and offensive language".  I've got a LOT of patience.  There are probably less than a half dozen users on this forum since June 2012 that have been ignored by me because of their offensive language.

In any case, it's a heavy-handed, all-or-nothing approach to treating a complex symptom, when there's such a simple way of tackling the cause.

But it's the best solution I have available to me at the moment.

Nobody needs ad signatures

Nobody needs a bitcoin discussion forum at all.

I just don't understand why the glaringly obvious solution continues to be ignored.

I don't know for certain, but I suspect that the forum administrators and moderators don't want to have the responsibility of trying to decide which signatures are valid, and which are part of a campaign.  Furthermore, it's the low quality posts that are the problem, not the sig ads specifically.  The sig ads unfortunately create an incentive problem that leads to low quality posts, but perhaps the site administration feels that high quality posters should be allowed to benefit financially through advertising for their participation.
alc
With sincere respect to Danny's efforts, he is attempting to win a game of whack-a-mole, which history and logic warn against. I wish him well on his war against the moles, but consider it a distinctly Sisyphean task - and more to the point, it shouldn't be necessary. (He also apparently shitcans people for other, more subjective transgressions, such as profanity, which leads to the amusing possibility that, were I to adopt his list, I'd be unable to see my own posts.)

In any case, it's a heavy-handed, all-or-nothing approach to treating a complex symptom, when there's such a simple way of tackling the cause. Nobody needs ad signatures, they communicate nothing of any merit, and it's evident beyond any reasonable doubt that the quality of posting on the forum would be improved by their absence. I just don't understand why the glaringly obvious solution continues to be ignored.
legendary
Activity: 1022
- snip -
it's just too much effort trawling through the reams of garbage to get at the interesting stuff.

Check this out. It has made all the difference, and I actually enjoy this forum and find it useful again.  It has nearly eliminated the garbage.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/my-personal-ignore-list-973843

Even though I am (obviously) on it, I think Danny's solution is a great one.  It's user driven, free market, and easily reversed if you want to see someone's posts again.  If more users adopt it then the signature campaigns will lose their value and die a natural death. 

While I think low value posts are the issue not the signature campaigns his solution is clearly working for him and I imagine would for many others.  It at least guarantees you'll never see another signature ad.
legendary
- snip -
it's just too much effort trawling through the reams of garbage to get at the interesting stuff.

Check this out. It has made all the difference, and I actually enjoy this forum and find it useful again.  It has nearly eliminated the garbage.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/my-personal-ignore-list-973843
alc
The SNR is beyond fucked at this point, and the inaction on this one very basic issue makes it clear that the staff are unwilling to take even the simplest step toward remedying the situation.

Shame, really. I certainly find myself visiting less and less; I never posted much anyway, but it's just too much effort trawling through the reams of garbage to get at the interesting stuff.
legendary
- snip -
there is no participation here from intelligent people any more,
- snip -

Have you found somewhere else I can go where I CAN find conversation with intelligent people?

Feel free to send your response via PM if you don't want the local riff-raff to find out about it.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032
Smart man, OP.

Nothing more needs to be said.

Thanks. One of the reasons I have not been active here recently is, besides that I've said most of what needs to be said (x3200 posts), there is no participation here from intelligent people any more, just spam scams and get rich alt coin schemes. Any legitimate service would be wise to steer clear of rewarding those who would destroy their own currency's forum for profit, and the ultimate solution was given nine months ago in post #1.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
Quote from: deepceleron's signature
http://we.lovebitco.in/how-bitcoin-works/
1DCeLERonUTsTERdpUNqxKTVMmnwU6reu5
"Certified Schmertified"

There can be legit sigs like yours and mine (where there's either public service stuff or personal projects), but no matter how much we beg for the sig ad spamming to be stopped, it never happens.
or it can be there no Sig under our profile it would help us to think before posting ..
where there is money there is waste.
Activity: 189
imho this madness is actually somehow connected with possibility to buy and sell accounts. potential buyers are buying those acc for:

1* scam other because others simply believe them - they are here so long with positive trust and history
2* ROI - yes, this sounds really stupid but for sure somebody is buying accs just for longterm profir from sig. campaign (without any bitcoin interest at all, just for "profit")

there are not so many ways how to deal with it, except more strict moderation and focus to some "special" examples. don't want to mention them here, but they are guys with more then 14k posts within two years or 6k within year..

Forum stats >> Top 10 Posters:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/user/hilariousandco-164822 : 15293 posts @ mod wearing a sig ad (so all this post are paid) #register date: November 20, 2013
Actually, Stunna ended the pay-per-post signature ad campaign quite a while ago (about 8 months?).  Those that are still wearing the sig are just doing so for the ref link, or out of love for Stunna, or both.  I don't think anyone is getting paid-per-post for that ad anymore

Wrong.

https://blockchain.info/it/tx/8f3b0a33f9bfb497b53838978f1c8d19a8e6659eb5ed3ba92a30d255349c612a
https://blockchain.info/it/tx/d0d02c5baea62631f27953c47a34765414ca0f2490aae2851ef3912d6f34c3a8
https://blockchain.info/it/tx/627deebbae40ce3703ddde787a0d8cbc79a4ccf62fac64b46daf89d061166d5f
https://blockchain.info/it/tx/68e949056add11c0d43d6ec8ae065197b6639049041e341a58b55bc25216d937

Activity: 189
imho this madness is actually somehow connected with possibility to buy and sell accounts. potential buyers are buying those acc for:

1* scam other because others simply believe them - they are here so long with positive trust and history
2* ROI - yes, this sounds really stupid but for sure somebody is buying accs just for longterm profir from sig. campaign (without any bitcoin interest at all, just for "profit")

there are not so many ways how to deal with it, except more strict moderation and focus to some "special" examples. don't want to mention them here, but they are guys with more then 14k posts within two years or 6k within year..

https://bitcointalksearch.org/user/hilariousandco-164822 : 15293 posts @ mod wearing a sig ad (so all this post are paid) #register date: November 20, 2013

https://bitcointalksearch.org/user/amph-99297 : 13007  posts # register date: April 13, 2013

What are we talking about   Sad?

ahh sorry, so not 14k but 13k..such difference...

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

The next time quote the complete post Wink or are you worried?  That mod is a white spammer, 15k posts in ~2 years.

Yes such difference.
Activity: 258
Merit: 250
Even though i'm only Jr. member and don't have an option to make some money with signature, I don't like the idea of signature campaigns.
This forums has turned into a mass spamming. Everyone wants to make at least x amount of posts so he'll get paid. The quaility of posts and topics are below 0 thanks to the signatures.
I would suggest to ban them immediately, before gets even worse.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1078
I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

Actually, Stunna ended the pay-per-post signature ad campaign quite a while ago (about 8 months?).  Those that are still wearing the sig are just doing so for the ref link, or out of love for Stunna, or both.  I don't think anyone is getting paid-per-post for that ad anymore.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/user/amph-99297 : 13007  posts # register date: April 13, 2013

What are we talking about   Sad?
legendary
Activity: 1036
/dev/null
https://bitcointalksearch.org/user/amph-99297 : 13007  posts # register date: April 13, 2013
What are we talking about   Sad?

ahh sorry, so not 14k but 13k..such difference...

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Pages:
Jump to: