Pages:
Author

Topic: Just remove signatures already. As in delete, disable, gone. - page 15. (Read 44829 times)

legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1005
★Nitrogensports.eu★
Perhaps advertising signatures could only appear in:
  • Economics
  • Marketplace
  • Trading discussion
  • Meta
  • Politics & Society
  • Beginners & Help
  • Off-topic
  • Archival
  • Altcoin Discussion
  • Announcements (Altcoins)
  • Mining (Altcoins)
  • Marketplace (Altcoins)

This would leave:
  • Bitcoin Discussion
  • Development & Technical Discussion
  • Mining
  • Technical Support
  • Project Development
Advert-spam free?

Although I guess this list is highly subjective, and we are back at the question of "does this really incentivise spammers to post less"?
Why is economics or altcoin discussion so different that bitcoin discussion? But I just want to ask something, most of the campaigns banned off-topic section and don't pay you for posts written there. Yet, people are posting there as before (with signatures) and spam is real. So I guess signature, or no signature there is no difference really.
Activity: 302
Merit: 250
Perhaps advertising signatures could only appear in:
  • Economics
  • Marketplace
  • Trading discussion
  • Meta
  • Politics & Society
  • Beginners & Help
  • Off-topic
  • Archival
  • Altcoin Discussion
  • Announcements (Altcoins)
  • Mining (Altcoins)
  • Marketplace (Altcoins)

This would leave:
  • Bitcoin Discussion
  • Development & Technical Discussion
  • Mining
  • Technical Support
  • Project Development
Advert-spam free?

Although I guess this list is highly subjective, and we are back at the question of "does this really incentivise spammers to post less"?
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1078
I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.
How about we send the trusted members to negative trust any member with a paid signature?   Wink

Or, what if we set things up to add negative trust not just to paid advertizers, but to everyone who's running around promoting some company (ahem, MSCorp and keys, ahem).

Trust ratings should be for transactions/business, not someones opinion about an ad.

Not for Vod, he adds negative trust to anyone who acts against the best interests of Microsoft.

Do you have the maturity to keep such discussions where they belong?

In case anyone else is confused, I put a smiley face at the end of my sentence to indicate I was joking.

Sorry for derailing this thread.   Undecided

Tit for tat my man.  I guess I forgot the smiley face in my post.  Perhaps we can pretend I used one.
Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970
How about we send the trusted members to negative trust any member with a paid signature?   Wink

Or, what if we set things up to add negative trust not just to paid advertizers, but to everyone who's running around promoting some company (ahem, MSCorp and keys, ahem).

Trust ratings should be for transactions/business, not someones opinion about an ad.

Not for Vod, he adds negative trust to anyone who acts against the best interests of Microsoft.

Do you have the maturity to keep such discussions where they belong?

In case anyone else is confused, I put a smiley face at the end of my sentence to indicate I was joking.

Sorry for derailing this thread.   Undecided
legendary

legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040
A Great Time to Start Something!
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
How about we send the trusted members to negative trust any member with a paid signature?   Wink

Is against the forum rules wear a sig ad? I don't think  Undecided. However your idea is useless, the forum doesn't need your suggestions.
Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970
How about we send the trusted members to negative trust any member with a paid signature?   Wink
legendary
Your point about feeding the family is ridiculous as well. There are many places in the world where people are earning $2 per hour, please go and tell these people $100 they can get from a sig add every month is just an insignificant tip.

People who earn $2 per hour certainly aren't participating in this forum, let alone be involved in a sig campaign.

What would you bet on that? What about people who earn even less, does that count?
I'm willing to take that bet any time.

I won't bet on other people's misery. Sorry.

This sounds like you withdraw the point.  As others have said, what you can buy with one USD varies a whole lot depending on where you are in the world.  There are a lot of places with internet access and personal computers where USD buys quite a lot.  I wouldn't take Stargazer's bet because he's probably right.
legendary
Activity: 1596
★Nitrogensports.eu★
Your point about feeding the family is ridiculous as well. There are many places in the world where people are earning $2 per hour, please go and tell these people $100 they can get from a sig add every month is just an insignificant tip.

People who earn $2 per hour certainly aren't participating in this forum, let alone be involved in a sig campaign.

What would you bet on that? What about people who earn even less, does that count?

FYI minimum wages in some EU countries like Romania and Bulgaria are around $160 a month. That's less than $6 a day. Not to mention  other continents like Africa or middle Asia where wages are even more 'impressive' in a very bad way. Do you think that here on bitcointalk we don't have any Romanians and Bulgarians, Ukrainians and Russians? Do you live in your own pocket universe? It is not misery. It is the reality of this world. You should be aware of it.
Activity: 658

Activity: 658

sed
Activity: 532
Ban advertising signatures and I would still use this forum.  It is not like you can feed your family with ad tips.  Posting should probably be an altruistic act in the first place because most people couldn't pay what it would cost if everyone charged a reasonable amount of money for the time they put into this forum.  Some have profit motives in ads they put, or services they offer, or the like, but for myself it is to teach and learn and maybe have some fun.

sdp

Of course almost everyone on here with an interest in bitcoin will stick around no matter if they did remove signatures.  TBH, the kind of poster who said above about leaving if they remove signatures is exactly the kind of person that's causing people to consider banning signatures.  I make a little btc with a signature ad but it's certainly not the reason why I use the forum.
sdp
Activity: 469
Merit: 281
Ban advertising signatures and I would still use this forum.  It is not like you can feed your family with ad tips.  Posting should probably be an altruistic act in the first place because most people couldn't pay what it would cost if everyone charged a reasonable amount of money for the time they put into this forum.  Some have profit motives in ads they put, or services they offer, or the like, but for myself it is to teach and learn and maybe have some fun.

sdp
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1014
but i like my signature
legendary
If signature is removed, i bet some users will leave this forum forever  (...)
No worries this forum is democratic and the majority want the signatures to stay.

It's actually not democratic at all.  It's a private forum run by a private individual who hires a staff to help out.  While this private individual certainly solicits feedback from and works with the community who uses the forum, this is in no way a democracy.  I think the actual form of government here is something like a benevolent dictatorship.  Smiley
legendary
If signature is removed, i bet some users will leave this forum forever
And there are less active users in this forum Sad

It's better banned spammer in this forum
Not 14 days banned, but a month Roll Eyes

FWIW, there are a lot of people on this forum who would just say "good riddance" to those people.  I can say that even though I've made a few satoshi's here and there with paid signature ads, I certainly wouldn't leave the forum and never come back if the opportunity to make a little BTC was ended.  I'd still need to check in on what's going on with bitcoin, the software I use, the projects participate in, etc.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009
The Staff/Admins have been considering new methods for counteracting signature spam without necessarily banning paid sig advertisements or removing the signature space. If I'm not misinterpreting, most everyone wants to keep the signature space for personal use in play. Removing signatures all together, "As in delete, disable, gone." is a very unlikely senario at this point. Our most promising lead is to add an Ignore Signature option, so that people can turn off signatures they dont want to see. That would ignore all signatures that are the same so one hit of the ignore button for a particular sig would ignore all of the sigs of that design by that campaign. That would require a few additional clicks on the user's end, but if you just casually browse, ignoring signatures that you don't like as you see them it shouldn't take long to have them all ignored (if you so choose)

The effects of that, would be signature advertisements would then become less effective, as people who choose to ignore the annoying signatures no longer are forced to view them, reducing the value of spamming. On the flip side, those lower payments could incentivise additional spamming if people are trying to maintain what they had been earning prior, in which case it becomes that much easier to spot them and remove those people. Spamming is really our only motivation here, we don't care if people want to make a few extra bucks per month posting as they would regularly. We wish that signature campaign managers would work a little bit harder to prevent spam on their ends, but one person can't do the best job of reviewing thousands of posts to make sure that they are quality, so that responsbility falls on the staff.

Regardless, something will be done. It may take us a couple tries to optimize whatever plan we settle on, but the way it is out of hand right now is not here to stay.
Bring back colors in the ignore link.

The feedback that used to provide was probably the single best defense we had against this kind of spammer.
legendary
Activity: 1302
New Decentralized Nuclear Hobbit
Then we have the activity/post count chasers, which you can see from dozens of "why isn't my activity going up" posts. There's another number that can just be removed from posts. Take away that incentive to post junk also.

(What??? Everyone newbies?)
It wouldn't work.

The best thing to do is to ban all those who spam the forum. (And they are doing a good job at that. Smiley)
Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
This thread was post half a year ago, but the signature campaign is still here, not banned.

It means that admin and mods think signature campaign is reasonable.

It can help btc business going on in this forum, why ban it?
Pages:
Jump to: