Pages:
Author

Topic: Just remove signatures already. As in delete, disable, gone. - page 13. (Read 44829 times)

Activity: 189
Merit: 100
imho this madness is actually somehow connected with possibility to buy and sell accounts. potential buyers are buying those acc for:

1* scam other because others simply believe them - they are here so long with positive trust and history
2* ROI - yes, this sounds really stupid but for sure somebody is buying accs just for longterm profir from sig. campaign (without any bitcoin interest at all, just for "profit")

there are not so many ways how to deal with it, except more strict moderation and focus to some "special" examples. don't want to mention them here, but they are guys with more then 14k posts within two years or 6k within year..

Forum stats >> Top 10 Posters:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/user/hilariousandco-164822 : 15293 posts @ mod wearing a sig ad (so all this post are paid) #register date: November 20, 2013

https://bitcointalksearch.org/user/amph-99297 : 13007  posts # register date: April 13, 2013

What are we talking about   Sad?
legendary
Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000
/dev/null
imho this madness is actually somehow connected with possibility to buy and sell accounts. potential buyers are buying those acc for:

1* scam other because others simply believe them - they are here so long with positive trust and history
2* ROI - yes, this sounds really stupid but for sure somebody is buying accs just for longterm profir from sig. campaign (without any bitcoin interest at all, just for "profit")

there are not so many ways how to deal with it, except more strict moderation and focus to some "special" examples. don't want to mention them here, but they are guys with more then 14k posts within two years or 6k within year..
legendary
Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042
#Free market
The effect of not doing anything about these "ad sig" campaigns is becoming rather obvious now.

There are very few technical people bothering to post much at all and the vast majority of nearly all posts that I see (and I have blocked much of the worse boards on this forum) are just rubbish posts (made of course by ad-sig posters).

Basically those that used to find this forum useful and interesting are now "moving away" and I suspect this will continue unless the new forum works out some better balance.

I'm sure some whinging whining ad-sig posters are going to respond to this post with "but I should be allowed to earn my 0.0001 BTC" and yes, unfortunately that is what this forum believes you should be allowed to do.

To put it plainly "the ad-siggers won" and their victory is a forum completely full of useless posts made by kids earning pocket money (a victory for "free speech and capitalism" might be what the spinners would call it).

Can I ask you where they are moving?

However I think the unique way for stop (at all) the useless posts is : ban the signature campaigns; but it will be a form of censorship and I think it is contrary with the philosophy of this forum.

legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078
Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer
The effect of not doing anything about these "ad sig" campaigns is becoming rather obvious now.

There are very few technical people bothering to post much at all and the vast majority of nearly all posts that I see (and I have blocked much of the worse boards on this forum) are just rubbish posts (made of course by ad-sig posters).

Basically those that used to find this forum useful and interesting are now "moving away" and I suspect this will continue unless the new forum works out some better balance.

I'm sure some whinging whining ad-sig posters are going to respond to this post with "but I should be allowed to earn my 0.0001 BTC" and yes, unfortunately that is what this forum believes you should be allowed to do.

To put it plainly "the ad-siggers won" and their victory is a forum completely full of useless posts made by kids earning pocket money (a victory for "free speech and capitalism" might be what the spinners would call it).
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127
Won't help, they'll just use multiple accounts.
Limit the amount of users a campaign can use and allow for only 1 account per IP to join a campaign

We aren't going to start handing out user information to businesses here just to accommodate sig campaigns.

Also not going to dictate the terms of other people's business deals for them.

Activity: 252
Merit: 250
Go figure! | I'm nearing 1337 posts...
Limit the amount of users a campaign can use and allow for only 1 account per IP to join a campaign

How would they monitor and enforce that? The only people who actually have power over deciding that are the campaign owners themselves, and they can't care less about that.
Activity: 266
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127
Activity: 266
A better way, to reduce the spam would be to put a limit on how many posts a signature campaign will pay for per week thus eliminating spam from those who meet the 100 post count limit if most campaigns by spamming
legendary
Activity: 3010
Merit: 8114
Your points are even more invalid  Cheesy

Except for the one about him being his own pimp.

Go back to trying to destroy the forum with your "business."
copper member
Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298
I've also never bought nor sold an account and never expect to do so. I've never even received any offers to buy this account, believe it or not.

I don't have to believe it. I choose not to believe the words of people who whore out their signature space.

They usually have nothing intelligent to add to the conversation anyway.
I hope that you realize that dooglus is the owner of Just-Dice and he doesn't actually spend any money on advertising. Your points are even more invalid  Cheesy
legendary
I've also never bought nor sold an account and never expect to do so. I've never even received any offers to buy this account, believe it or not.

I don't have to believe it. I choose not to believe the words of people who whore out their signature space.

They usually have nothing intelligent to add to the conversation anyway.
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330
That seems a little rude. How does advertising JD make me a whore?

Because you have sex* for money.

*Edit: unwanted, gross sex.

Double-Edit: When's the last time you took the words out of a whore's mouth seriously? You want to be taken seriously? Stop being a whore.

Since you can buy and sell accounts like it was water, there's no reason to think you command any sort of additional respect just because your account is old.

I don't have sex for money and so the rest of your post doesn't follow. I've also never bought nor sold an account and never expect to do so. I've never even received any offers to buy this account, believe it or not.

Also, troll harder.
legendary
Lol, Nultidah trolling hard here.  What about the fact that he owns the dice site?  Does this merit a triple-edit?

No, it just means that he's his own pimp.

Its OK. I understand everybody has their own vices.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1078
I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

Because you have sex* for money.

*Edit: unwanted, gross sex.

Double-Edit: When's the last time you took the words out of a whore's mouth seriously? You want to be taken seriously? Stop being a whore.

Since you can buy and sell accounts like it was water, there's no reason to think you command any sort of additional respect just because your account is old.

Lol, Nultidah trolling hard here.  What about the fact that he owns the dice site?  Does this merit a triple-edit?
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330
Anybody who advertises any sort of dice or investment opportunity is a whore, basically

legendary
Merit: 1031
RIP Mommy
staff
Activity: 3276
Merit: 4111
It would be a wasted effort.

The campaign participants would then just create posts that contained the ad in the post itself instead of in the sig.

Although, that would be against the rules. Advertisements in posts aren't allowed unless the post is really substantial and useful.

I do agree that signature advertising has become an annoyance and have reverted to using grue's approach and disabling them through external methods. I wouldn't be completely against the idea of removing signatures or putting more restrictions on them.
legendary
Merit: 1031
RIP Mommy
If I were running these forums I would definitely disable signatures.

The campaign participants would then just create posts that contained the ad in the post itself instead of in the sig.

Then they would be banned like the common spammers they are, and campaign runners would be banned from the forum immediately after creating their campaign topics.
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 4658
If I were running these forums I would definitely disable signatures.

Pages:
Jump to: