Pages:
Author

Topic: [Klondike] Case design thread for K16 - page 8. (Read 37921 times)

Activity: 178
Merit: 101
June 02, 2013, 04:00:51 PM
which 3d modeling program did you use?
Activity: 367
Merit: 250
June 02, 2013, 03:47:21 PM
I'd like to play as well. Would anyone care to share a model file for a single Klondike 16 board?

Github?

https://github.com/bkkcoins/klondike

Thanks
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
June 02, 2013, 03:32:05 PM
Thinking... if the goal is co-location, i dont think datacenters  allow 1kw for 1 or 2u rackspace... its just too dense...

Checking that out. There are plenty of GPU servers that throw that sort of wattage and more so not sure that is a hard and fast rule depending on the nature of the data center and what services they provide.  http://www.nvidia.com/object/tesla-servers.html If I need to go to a 1U K256 so be it that is still doable I just do not want to have to build a server room on my 3rd floor so this is really an experiment to see if I can get my chips into a rack mount configuration. If it works I will definitely be doing more of them in the future.

As for flipping the boards they are fin to fin so that the heat is pushed out through the fins getting the best airflow from of the fans. Also the Klego is easier to put togther in a fin to fin configuration. Access however is not and maintenance and inspection will require a lot of time.  But given this a stanchion solution it is easy enough to test both configurations by changing stanchion length. I can test both ways and see which is better. I have a feeling fin to fin is optimal if the air flow is constant and in that Venturi type configuration.
Activity: 322
Supersonic
June 02, 2013, 03:20:20 PM
Thinking... if the goal is co-location, i dont think datacenters  allow 1kw for 1 or 2u rackspace... its just too dense...
KS
Activity: 448
June 02, 2013, 03:16:22 PM
Not much head room on top there... not sure that you'd want to put anything on top wires ok but nothing else going to be pretty warm there. I was thinking that the top of the case and bottom will need venting slats.

That would defeat the point of putting it in a rackmount case. You'd need to leave space between the servers to exhaust the hot air.

Why not put bigger / additional fans to circulate the air on top?

Or, turn the design upside down (hot air will migrate to the tunnel) and let the fans push the hot air out through the tunnel.

No not really since the tunnel is sandwiched between the boards. The top does not get air flow so definitely need top slats bottom gets airflow so it is fine without. The majority of the the heat is the chips so again sticking something near them on top etc not a good plan. The idea is to stack the boards so airflow can be achieved in the smaller space so I will adjust the stanchion heights and heat sink heights till I can get a balance. A 1.5U could accommodate 512 chips max height for fans though still has to be 40mm or 50mm fans.

I am saying this because you are pushing air under the boards. If you flip it upside down (just to be clear: the whole case, not the insides), the hot air under will naturally rise to the tunnel.  You could also use a 2U design with 80mm fans.
June 02, 2013, 03:05:32 PM
Not much head room on top there... not sure that you'd want to put anything on top wires ok but nothing else going to be pretty warm there. I was thinking that the top of the case and bottom will need venting slats.

That would defeat the point of putting it in a rackmount case. You'd need to leave space between the servers to exhaust the hot air.

Or, turn the design upside down (hot air will migrate to the tunnel) and let the fans push the hot air out through the tunnel.

No not really since the tunnel is sandwiched between the boards. The top does not get air flow so definitely need top slats bottom gets airflow so it is fine without. The majority of the the heat is the chips so again sticking something near them on top etc not a good plan. The idea is to stack the boards so airflow can be achieved in the smaller space so I will adjust the stanchion heights and heat sink heights till I can get a balance. A 1.5U could accommodate 512 chips max height for fans though still has to be 40mm or 50mm fans.
KS
June 02, 2013, 03:01:37 PM
I'd like to play as well. Would anyone care to share a model file for a single Klondike 16 board?

Github?

https://github.com/bkkcoins/klondike
Activity: 367
June 02, 2013, 02:56:04 PM
KS
June 02, 2013, 02:48:11 PM

June 02, 2013, 02:30:02 PM
Trying to fit 512 into a rack mounted server... wish me luck.

Looks good.
Appears to be 2 or 3U.
Possible to fit it all in 1u?

I think the PSU is not gonna take full length space, if thats so then ample room for some embedded computer to control these suckers...

2U it has to be I think for 512 and possibly 768... 1U for 256. Hard to find PSU to get the +1200 W that fits 1U and be able to power boards and arranged in 40x40cm (even if 1 layer design) 2 layers of 4 x K64. Depending on the heat sink size it might be possible to jam 512 in a 1U and I am trying to get a venturi effect to push that air hard through the tunnel I am creating I think it might be possible. The left over space could house controller... depending on what is used in front of the PSU on the corner next to the front fan bank.

Front View:

KS
June 02, 2013, 02:26:44 PM

Looks good.
Appears to be 2 or 3U.

I think the PSU is not gonna take full length space, if thats so then ample room for some embedded computer to control these suckers...

Or a USB hub and a Pi/BeagleBoard hanging between the cables in the rack. Lots of wasted space there Smiley
Activity: 322
Supersonic
June 02, 2013, 02:12:32 PM

Looks good.
Appears to be 2 or 3U.

June 02, 2013, 02:08:13 PM

Activity: 58
Merit: 0
June 02, 2013, 01:52:08 PM
Post your Klondike custom case designs here!

steamboat's 3U 72xK16 proof-of-concept:

marto74's 8xK16 with and without space for a PSU and router:

I'd love to see a design for a tower-style 2-wide-by-16-high.
Pages:
Jump to: