Pages:
Author

Topic: Let's Talk Bitcoin! #6 "Cyprus & Serendipity" Big Jeffrey A. Tucker Interview - page 3. (Read 5303 times)

Activity: 434
Merit: 254
Editor-in-Chief of Let's Talk Bitcoin!
I was the guest on episode 46 of POP CULTIVATION, we spent about an hour talking about Bitcoin and answering his questions.

This was a very casual show, there is a small amount of swearing - it is uncut and unedited so if you're into that, have at.

It's on the podcast feed or available at my blog.

More for my Litecoin hatred
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOCKm4aEIXE

Litecoin is the second decentralized, peer to peer currency, that was created by the Bitcoin community.
No! It wasn't the second, and it's not by the "Bitcoin community"! YARG!

What was the second?  I actually am looking for someone who has been paying attention to the alt coins and can relay the history and rough timeline, that sound like you frozenlock?
Merit: 250
More for my Litecoin hatred
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOCKm4aEIXE

Litecoin is the second decentralized, peer to peer currency, that was created by the Bitcoin community.
No! It wasn't the second, and it's not by the "Bitcoin community"! YARG!
I can't stand the pump & dump attitude related to it:

Litecoin (...), that's going to be the Facebook to Bitcoin's Myspace
We could see the Bitcoin market completely tank and move over to Litecoin in a day
Eh, right, that needs some reality. If you focus on the real struggles that Bitcoin faces, such as exchanges, the uncertainly on how governments will regulate it, and merchant adoption, none of those are solved in the least by using another alt-chain.

Any way you want to promote/pump/dump your coin is fine but don't do it by bashing Bitcoin. Outsiders just won't understand. They see all cryptocurrencies as Bitcoin. They don't appreciate the difference between mining algorithms in the least. They just see uncertainty and infighting and reconsider "should I do this cryptocurrency thing"?

Hey guys,
Thanks for the comments - I am very skeptical of alt-coins personally for exactly that reason:

I think the biggest hurdle in Bitcoins future will be legislative and regulatory, and none of those things can be solved by an alt-coin - I thought Andreas made a really great point about how alt-coins COULD address that problem, but only when there is actually a reason to do it (i.e. they're banned)

I was initially curious about the alt-chains but after watching SolidCoin I determined it was better to stick with the original which had been very thoroughly vetted.

The Litecoin bump seems more about contingency planning in case of technical issues with BTC (i.e. the encryption is broken and we need to switch to a new scheme) than anything else, and as I mentioned I do not think it will be a technical hurdle but rather legal/regulatory.  I do not think this is commonly understood with the people who support litecoin as the likely successor to BTC.
Activity: 92
Merit: 10
Activity: 812
Merit: 1022
No Maps for These Territories

We could see the Bitcoin market completely tank and move over to Litecoin in a day
Eh, right, that needs some reality. If you focus on the real struggles that Bitcoin faces, such as exchanges, the uncertainly on how governments will regulate it, and merchant adoption, none of those are solved in the least by using another alt-chain.

Any way you want to promote/pump/dump your coin is fine but don't do it by bashing Bitcoin. Outsiders just won't understand. They see all cryptocurrencies as Bitcoin. They don't appreciate the difference between mining algorithms in the least. They just see uncertainty and infighting and reconsider "should I do this cryptocurrency thing"?
Merit: 250
Really enjoyed the podcast!

If you really are going to talk about alt-coins next week, could you mention that some Bitcoin users (me, for example) hate Litecoin?  Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2u3BNiANVA

However I'm all in favor of alt-coins with new features, such as Namecoin.

Disclaimer: I don't own any Namecoin
Soundcloud page - Two donations totaling .12btc
That 0.1 was from me Smiley Sterling work, keep it up!

Thanks Smiley We will.

Love the show!

It is a bi-weekly event correct?  Are there two particular days in the week you are targeting to release (like Tues/Fri or something like that)?

Saturdays and Tuesdays, next episode should be out tomorrow afternoon pacific standard time.
Activity: 469
Merit: 253
That 0.1 was from me Smiley Sterling work, keep it up!
Activity: 62
Merit: 10
Love the show!

It is a bi-weekly event correct?  Are there two particular days in the week you are targeting to release (like Tues/Fri or something like that)?

Thanks,
I asked Bradley again about accepting bitcoin donations - He basically said they do not currently because they were unclear on the legal and tax implications.  I noted that FinCEN guidance was pretty clear so long as they don't sell the bitcoins for US Dollars.  He said they were currently working on accepting bitcoin donations, and I linked him to coinwidget.com

Hopefully there will be a solution up soon.

Thanks for the donation - We've recieved .82btc from the various donation addresses (I separate it to track where donations come from) for Episode 1 of Lets Talk Bitcoin!

Breakdown:
Email Donation - One donation .10btc
"Building Platforms" address - One donation  .10btc
Main Page widget - One donation - .50btc

legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000
Antifragile
.1 BTC Donation sent. I believe in what you (and we) are doing. Keep up the great work - you and your guests are a great service to the bitcoin community. Looking forward to more shows.

IAS

ps - I was just talking about a legal defense in general.
legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008
CEO of IOHK
Just listened. Great work!
mindtomatter - If you get in touch with Bradley Jansen, can you ask him about accepting donations in Bitcoin at freebanking.org, as they only accept PayPal. That is ironic or a safety thing?

Great podcast by the way.

I'd really like to see something in the way of some recommended donation sites for helping bitcoin out regarding FinCen. Is freebanking.org the best place to start for now?

IAS

I already poked bradley about that, no response on the topic yet.

We're still finding our feet here, Bradley has his perspective but he's definitely an outsider to cryptocurrencies.   I don't have anything I can comfortably recommend to you besides to give you a donation address for myself and tell you I'm building my platform so we can have this conversation in a way that makes sense.  Since that interview went live, I've met two people who are very passionate about educating the US legislature about Bitcoin and helping Bitcoin understand their priorities a little better - We're building the community roundtable to have a quick-reaction force ready with quotes or interview subjects if and when events start moving fast.

1QCpueJJuZbVzKvJ7zFTtFPruQs5dSBHjA

If you're looking for something specific to FinCEN like a legal defense fund or something, I'll have to get back to you once the dust settles.
csw
Activity: 25
Merit: 0
Great show, looking forward to hear more  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000
Antifragile
mindtomatter - If you get in touch with Bradley Jansen, can you ask him about accepting donations in Bitcoin at freebanking.org, as they only accept PayPal. That is ironic or a safety thing?

Great podcast by the way.

I'd really like to see something in the way of some recommended donation sites for helping bitcoin out regarding FinCen. Is freebanking.org the best place to start for now?

IAS
That's actually a teaser clip from the next episode - I needed to post it for I could get a response from a guy who is currently going through the hurdles to start an exchange, and figured might as well release it on the stream.
A couple things:

Bradley:
We've beaten back FinCEN a few times.  Google my name and "Know Your Customer" 1997-98.  Also, post-9/11, they went too far and had to rescind and rewrite some MSB regs, etc.  But my main point stands, if the people who like Bitcoin don't wake up and engage, we know what happens.

Me:
Given all the reasons why fiat currency issuing entities should see pervasive bitcoin adoption as the ultimate nightmare scenario, do you really think engaging can even help?     Seems more likely it gets crushed to keep dollar reserve status from threat, and in that case there is no helping the regulators because they view the simple existence as a threat.

If it were me, I'd play the slow game to sucker adventurous consumers in, then swoop in with fast and severe moves designed to cause a panic for the doors with concerns about breaking the law.

Him:
I meant specifically in this case engage with FinCEN and with Congress.  They couldn't even get Ron Paul to hold a hearing or do any oversight of FinCEN.

The people at FinCEN are not unreasonable.  I oppose their mission and don't think it should exist, but they know their mission and they follow it.  They are FAR more approachable than most at Treasury.

After 9/11, the regs forced many small MSB to close, most famously some Somali ones in MN.  Then Sen. Coleman engaged them, and the rule was rewritten.

They aren't doing any of this to stop currency competition or protect the dollar, they're just indiffernt to that collateral damage.

I'm talking to Jon Matonis about providing counterpoint on the next ep.
Pages:
Jump to: