Pages:
Author

Topic: List of Major Bitcoin Heists, Thefts, Hacks, Scams, and Losses [Old] - page 14. (Read 294947 times)

legendary
Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001
Trying out a new navigation system using links, hopefully this will accommodate the huge volume of thefts. I would appreciate it greatly if anyone could fill me in on the thefts that don't have commentary (you will, of course, be listed in the credits section).

Also, retroactively added the Betcoin Theft (#13).

I like how comprehensive the list is, as well as having several lists with different focus.
Well done! :-)

Ohe hint: With these large numbers, it does not really make sense to give the full decimal number. It just makes it harder to read. In most cases, the numbers are estimates anyway.. I would suggest to cut off the decimals or round to nearest bitcoin, depending on number.

Noting better than waking up and reading through that list, to get your bloodpressure up, right? heh

Ente
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1076
Trying out a new navigation system using links, hopefully this will accommodate the huge volume of thefts. I would appreciate it greatly if anyone could fill me in on the thefts that don't have commentary (you will, of course, be listed in the credits section).

Also, retroactively added the Betcoin Theft (#13).
legendary
New: July 2012 BTC-E Hack (ranking #11).
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
New hack in progress: BTC-E.com

I'm actively monitoring this right now. This looks like it will be a disaster.

So far, the fraudulent volume is 61196.73 BTC. This is all the fraudulent volume (it's all the "extra" BTC poofed into the system). The attack is still ongoing, but more BTC poofed into the system will likely never make it out of the exchange.

This fraudulent volume, or official figures on how much was withdrawn, will be the value listed for amount stolen from btc-e. I will also list the amount btc-e did not compensate its customers for, as the amount stolen passed on to customers.

Because the attack was through a modification of USD, it was likely a SQL injection (or possible something more severe). Expect a database leak.

A lower bound has been established based on blockchain activity: 20000 BTC. The upper bound of around ~60000 BTC in volume remains. Either way, this hack would be a disaster for Bitcoin, easily ranking in the top ten.

For all victims of the hack, I sympathize with you. Although security should have been higher, the BTC-E team will still likely absorb much of this loss (as well as lose their past profits), and deserve sympathy as well.

Instructions for best recovery:
1. Sell ALL USD immediately. There is not enough USD to pay out.
2. Withdraw ALL BTC immediately. Unless fractional reserve was employed, there should be enough.
3. Change passwords for other websites immediately. The database is likely to leak, if a SQL injection was the culprit.

Best of luck to all victims.

This needs its own thread.  A lot of people don't read the Speculation forum and posters need to be aware that this is happening now.
legendary

I'm actively monitoring this right now. It seems that many users are reporting large balances.

Links?
Here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=96802.0;topicseen
Also, check chat: https://btc-e.com
Activity: 868

I'm actively monitoring this right now. It seems that many users are reporting large balances.

Links?
legendary
Notice: this post is outdated and kept for archival purposes. The hack has been roughly added to the chronological history of the OP. Do not trust what you read.

I'm actively monitoring this right now. This looks like it will be a disaster.

So far, the fraudulent volume is 61196.73 BTC. This is all the fraudulent volume (it's all the "extra" BTC poofed into the system). The attack is still ongoing, but more BTC poofed into the system will likely never make it out of the exchange.

This fraudulent volume, or official figures on how much was withdrawn, will be the value listed for amount stolen from btc-e. I will also list the amount btc-e did not compensate its customers for, as the amount stolen passed on to customers.

Because the attack was through a modification of USD, it was likely a SQL injection (or possible something more severe). Expect a database leak.

A lower bound has been established based on blockchain activity: 20000 BTC. The upper bound of around ~60000 BTC in volume remains. Either way, this hack would be a disaster for Bitcoin, easily ranking in the top ten.

The hacker is unknown. A character by the name of MrWubbles, claiming to be supa, someone infuriated with the BTC-E exchange, claims responsibility. This point is disputed, as MrWubbles has almost certainly lied about being able to delete the database. The most likely entry point was a SQL injection.

For all victims of the hack, I sympathize with you. Although security should have been higher, the BTC-E team will still likely absorb much of this loss (as well as lose their past profits), and deserve sympathy as well.

Instructions for best recovery:
1. Sell ALL USD immediately. There is definitely not enough USD to pay out.
2. Withdraw ALL BTC immediately. Unless fractional reserve or cold storage was employed, there should be enough. This is confirmed by one of DeathAndTaxes's experiments.
3. Change passwords for other websites immediately. The database is likely to leak, if a SQL injection was the culprit.

Best of luck to all victims.
Activity: 784
bitcoin hundred-aire
It's sad that so many "reputable" (or formerly reputable) Bitcoin websites are on this list along with the scammers... gox, bitcoinica, etc.
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
legendary
New: July 2012 Bitcoinca Theft (ranking #3).
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1014
Hi, I am going to use the OP's post as a source for an article I am working on. It will be more comprehensive and detailed, and the OP will be credited.
legendary
I added shakaru's scam, due to popular demand and the fact that it has been a month since the last communication. It ranks as the 13th largest scam of all BTC history.
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721
I was debating whether to add that one (it was knightmb's "purchase" of 300000 BTC). However, the business partner did receive what he was looking for, which was $5000.

+1

I think you could also add in parenthesis how much were the Bitcoin in each case worth at the time of scam/theft/loss
Activity: 31
Merit: 0
I feel rather sorry for the employees who were duped.
I don't think they were employees, I don't think his project ever got that big. I think they were employers, or more likely business partners, possibly even a bank or (small scale) vulture capitalist. Whoever it was, they really should have sought a valuation of what they were selling independent of the person they were selling it to!

Anyway, fascinating though the story is, I don't think it was a theft, hack, scam, or loss. Knightmb paid $s for his BTCs, he just managed to strike a once-in-a-lifetime bargain!

Toby.
R-
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
Pasta
I feel rather sorry for the employees who were duped. I suppose those men and women didn't have it as bad as those who were duped like no other.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
legendary
Activity: 532
Activity: 686
Wat
New heist (June 20, 2012): Bitcoin Savings and Trust scams over 20,000 BTC.

I see what you did there....
R-
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
Pasta
New heist (June 20, 2012): Bitcoin Savings and Trust scams over 20,000 BTC.

Edit: new platform
Pages:
Jump to: