Pages:
Author

Topic: List of Major Bitcoin Heists, Thefts, Hacks, Scams, and Losses [Old] - page 15. (Read 294964 times)

Activity: 303
Merit: 250
Now, someone make a list of all USD heists, thefts, hacks, scams, and losses resulting in loss >$5,000.

Exactly. +1
Activity: 931
Merit: 500
Good lord.  That's, what, almost 250,000BTCs lost from hacks.
Quarter of a million BTC? Small peanuts I say. Only $1,2 million at current rates.
That's a pretty significant percentage of the existing bitcoin supply and even the total possible bitcoin supply.

Maybe lower than the percentage of gold supply in the course of history that was once smuggled, robbed, lost, buried, confiscated until resting where it is now.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1076
Be nice to put this on the wiki at https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Main_Page

Toby.
I hereby release the content in the OP, with the exception of the introductory paragraphs, into the public domain. If this is not legally permissable, I hereby license the content for usage as liberally as permissable by law.

(aka I'm too lazy to put it on the wiki myself, but feel free to do so).

Toby.

Terrible idea. This is the last thing bitcoin newbies have to see when getting to know bitcoin. Wallet security already implies enough.
It also serves as a warning, so users take due diligence before MyBitcoin 2.0 gets hacked.
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

Toby.

Terrible idea. This is the last thing bitcoin newbies have to see when getting to know bitcoin. Wallet security already implies enough.

Quarter of a million BTC? Small peanuts I say. Only $1,2 million at current rates.

Considering that most loss the BTC lost/stolen were from summer last year when BTC was worth 2-3x as it is now, the actual amount people lost is substantially higher.
legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

That's a pretty significant percentage of the existing bitcoin supply and even the total possible bitcoin supply.

Activity: 31
Merit: 0
legendary
What was promised here? Was any of Ubitex actually delivered?

I added the "2011 Ubitex Scam" with a scam amount of 1138.98 BTC, but added a note saying that 1000 of those were spent.
legendary
yes it was stolen.  he walked off with the money.  to be fair he spent some of that on web fees, hosting, development, Red Bull, etc, but the majority he walked off with. 

there are several other ppl here on the forum who got hosed too but not as much as me.

if he is not tagged as a scammer please tell me how to do that since that's exactly what he is.

His identity is known to Nefario as far as I know, info on whois and quick google search give some results too, how come no one managed to extract the money. 
He ran with 1000 BTC last summer, so the amount owed could be around $10k. Not bad for a 14 year old.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
its your thread but it seems to me your intent was to identify the more nefarious times and examples of Bitcoin history.  I may be wrong.

If that was the case though you should remove both Stefans and goxes self destruction examples from the list.  If not there is a huge list of self erased bitcoins to be added mine included. Cheesy
How many bitcoins did you erase? The goal was to enumerate not necessarily the nefarious times, but all losses for users and businesses of Bitcoin. Erased bitcoin is identical to a theft of ones bitcoin, with the market principles of supply and demand eventually distributing them across all holders.

well, i erased 12 btc once.  i also had 800 btc stolen from me by cuddlefish aka Nathaniel Theis of the now defunct Ubitex
1000 BTC for Ubitex is a significant amount! Are you sure this money was stolen? No scammer tag is present on cuddlefish.

yes it was stolen.  he walked off with the money.  to be fair he spent some of that on web fees, hosting, development, Red Bull, etc, but the majority he walked off with. 

there are several other ppl here on the forum who got hosed too but not as much as me.

if he is not tagged as a scammer please tell me how to do that since that's exactly what he is.
legendary
Isn't there already a thread dedicated to the number of bitcoins lost and/or destroyed, but not stolen?

yes, by SgtSpike.
rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
Isn't there already a thread dedicated to the number of bitcoins lost and/or destroyed, but not stolen?
legendary
its your thread but it seems to me your intent was to identify the more nefarious times and examples of Bitcoin history.  I may be wrong.

If that was the case though you should remove both Stefans and goxes self destruction examples from the list.  If not there is a huge list of self erased bitcoins to be added mine included. Cheesy
How many bitcoins did you erase? The goal was to enumerate not necessarily the nefarious times, but all losses for users and businesses of Bitcoin. Erased bitcoin is identical to a theft of ones bitcoin, with the market principles of supply and demand eventually distributing them across all holders.

well, i erased 12 btc once.  i also had 800 btc stolen from me by cuddlefish aka Nathaniel Theis of the now defunct Ubitex
1000 BTC for Ubitex is a significant amount! Are you sure this money was stolen? No scammer tag is present on cuddlefish.
donator
Activity: 490
Merit: 500
Yeah, I had my stupid learning mistakes also.  I am interested though to keep track of this list and to see how this progresses.
legendary

R-
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
Pasta

I like these heists better:

Brinks Mat warehouse (1983): broke into warehouse to find ten tonnes of gold bullion worth US$45 million

The Brinks Mat Robbery occurred on 26 November 1983 when six robbers broke into the Brinks Mat warehouse at Heathrow Airport, England. The robbers thought they were going to steal £3 million in cash; however when they arrived they found ten tonnes of gold bullion (worth £26 million).

10 Greatest Robberies of All Time.
legendary

legendary

legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311
R-
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
Pasta
Great list. You could add Goat's loss of 400 (recovered) coins.
legendary
I think don't think Jered posted final figures on how much user fraud cost TradeHill overall

I think he mentioned $100k somewhere but I'm not 100% sure.

P.S. Add shakaru too, about $22k in dollars and bitcoins
Pages:
Jump to: