Pages:
Author

Topic: [LIST] Wallets supporting Taproot - page 5. (Read 3459 times)

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 3406
Crypto Swap Exchange
November 22, 2022, 03:17:03 PM
After checking the exodus mobile app, it appears that the taproot support is not there yet. You can only use it on the desktop wallet for now.
They partially [receiving only] support it in their mobile app but for some reason, it'll be visible once your Taproot address on their desktop app has some funds [quite strange]:

staff
Activity: 3402
Merit: 6065
November 22, 2022, 10:26:34 AM
After checking the exodus mobile app, it appears that the taproot support is not there yet. You can only use it on the desktop wallet for now.

More to add: Blixt wallet (open source)[1]. Just like exodus, you have to enable it from the settings:

[1] https://github.com/hsjoberg/blixt-wallet
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
November 08, 2022, 07:06:08 PM
Exodus also supports taproot addresses (not sure when it got added). In order to activate it, you need to go to settings -> turn on Advanced wallet mode -> go back to your bitcoin wallet, and turn on "Taproot addresses".
Thank you for making a post about this, I didn't know Exodus added this option in one of their recent updates.
Not counting hardware wallets Trezor, Bitbox and ledger, I think this is the first multi coin software wallet that added Taproot support.
List is now updated with Exodus wallet, but I am not really recommending anyone to use this closed source wallet, when there are much better alternatives available.
staff
Activity: 3402
Merit: 6065
November 08, 2022, 11:05:34 AM
Exodus also supports taproot addresses (not sure when it got added). In order to activate it, you need to go to settings -> turn on Advanced wallet mode -> go back to your bitcoin wallet, and turn on "Taproot addresses".

Activity: 882
Merit: 5814
not your keys, not your coins!
November 06, 2022, 09:04:06 PM
Just discovered a new wallet [MyCitadel] while I was watching a video [14:58 - 15:43] on Bitcoin Magazine's channel... It's "open-source" and they're claiming to be the "first wallet that's allowing taproot multisig and locktime-based spending conditions".
Judging by a few tweets I looked at on their Twitter account, the wallet has some interesting features. They are adding TOR and two other privacy implementations called Nym and I2P. No idea what Nym or I2P is though.  Undecided
The wallet also supports lightning payments, and you can run your own LN node. Similarly to Electrum, looks like MyCitadel can be both a hot and cold wallet.
I'm not very familiar with it, but I2P is some type of anonymous network layer, reminding me a bit of Tor.
The MyCitadel repo has no mention of I2P or Nym, but I've heard the former being mentioned here and there in Bitcoin context lately; may be something worth reading up on.

Sad to see no new commits since July. It's always good to have some more wallet options and competition in this field, as well.
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
October 30, 2022, 06:35:44 AM
Just discovered a new wallet [MyCitadel] while I was watching a video [14:58 - 15:43] on Bitcoin Magazine's channel... It's "open-source" and they're claiming to be the "first wallet that's allowing taproot multisig and locktime-based spending conditions".
Judging by a few tweets I looked at on their Twitter account, the wallet has some interesting features. They are adding TOR and two other privacy implementations called Nym and I2P. No idea what Nym or I2P is though.  Undecided
The wallet also supports lightning payments, and you can run your own LN node. Similarly to Electrum, looks like MyCitadel can be both a hot and cold wallet.
legendary
Cashback 15%
October 29, 2022, 02:40:04 PM
Note: My post shouldn't be counted as a vouch!
Thank you for making a post about this SFR10, I updated the list with new MyCitadel wallet.
This is the first time I heard about this wallet, and I didn't have time to test how it works, but good thing this is open source wallet and it supports Taproot addresses.
I downloaded wallet now, but I see it is owned by swiss company Pandora Prime Sarl, so I am not sure how good that is.
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
October 28, 2022, 11:03:49 AM
Note: My post shouldn't be counted as a vouch!
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 10505
July 17, 2022, 01:06:14 AM
I have heard someone mention that but never gave it too much thought as I didn't consider it something worth worrying about. A few weeks ago I did play around with a Native Segwit address and tried changing one of its characters in order to see if the wallet would still consider it valid. But I never managed to find a validly invalid address. I will check out those sources to see if they offer more information on what would need to by mistyped to trick the system.
I don't think a "slight change" in a Bech32 address could create a valid address due to the way checksum works, although you can't test it by hand since you need a way to quickly check thousands of permutations to be sure. Something like this where I replaced 2 characters and checked 719,872 permutations and none of them were valid.
Code:
string addr = "bc1qw508d6qejxtdg4y5r3zarvary0c5xw7kv8f3t4";
char[] addrChars = addr.ToCharArray();
List result = new();
int totalChecked = 0;
for (int a = 4; a < addrChars.Length - 1; a++)
{
    for (int b = a + 1; b < addrChars.Length; b++)
    {
        for (int i = 0; i < Bech32.CharSet.Length; i++)
        {
            for (int j = 0; j < Bech32.CharSet.Length; j++)
            {
                addrChars[a] = Bech32.CharSet[i];
                addrChars[b] = Bech32.CharSet[j];
                string temp = new(addrChars);
                if (temp != addr && Bech32.IsValid(temp, Bech32.Mode.B32))
                {
                    result.Add(new string(addrChars));
                }
                totalChecked++;
            }
        }
    }
}
Console.WriteLine(result.Count);
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
July 16, 2022, 09:08:13 AM
"it is possible to slightly alter bech32 address in such a way that doesn't invalidate checksum." In other words, if you accidentally make a typo in the address, your wallet still accepts it as valid, but you may lose your coins because there is no corresponding private key to an altered address. bech32m fixes this vulnerability by introducing a new checksum algorithm.
I have heard someone mention that but never gave it too much thought as I didn't consider it something worth worrying about. A few weeks ago I did play around with a Native Segwit address and tried changing one of its characters in order to see if the wallet would still consider it valid. But I never managed to find a validly invalid address. I will check out those sources to see if they offer more information on what would need to by mistyped to trick the system.
legendary
Cashback 15%
July 14, 2022, 09:32:19 AM
Just found another mobile lightning wallet [Zeus] that "recently announced" they've added support for Taproot addresses.
Thank you for posting suggestion SFR10, list is updated.
I recently noticed that LND (Lightning Network Daemon) by LightningLabs added support for Taproot since v0.15.
It's possible that we are going to have much more third party wallets starting to use LND, like it was case with Zeus.
I didn't use Zeus so far, but it is open-source and non-custodial wallet and that sounds good.
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
July 13, 2022, 12:37:49 PM
Just found another mobile lightning wallet [Zeus] that "recently announced" they've added support for Taproot addresses.
- The only catch is it requires using "LND v0.15+"!

Update:
Thank you for posting suggestion SFR10, list is updated.
You're very welcome Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
July 12, 2022, 03:20:15 PM
I never thought of it, are bitcoin addresses case sensitive?
Legacy and nested segwit addresses are case sensitive, taking look at the addresses, you will notice upper and lower cases, but native segwit and P2TR addresses are not case sensitive, they can be in upper case or lower case, anyone you use is correct, but I prefer the address to be in lower case as it is on reputed wallet
legendary
Activity: 2702
Merit: 2645
Farewell LEO: o_e_l_e_o
July 12, 2022, 12:08:29 PM

You left me a whole lot of reading and it's gonna take me time to understand the entire idea. Thanks.

"it is possible to slightly alter bech32 address in such a way that doesn't invalidate checksum." In other words, if you accidentally make a typo in the address, your wallet still accepts it as valid, but you may lose your coins because there is no corresponding private key to an altered address. bech32m fixes this vulnerability by introducing a new checksum algorithm.
I usually copy and paste an address then I check first few character and last few characters. It's too much to check all the characters for a human I think. But anyway, I assume Legacy and Nested segwit does not have this checksum issue.

In addition to the answer that was previously provided. You can distinguish native Segwit address and tap root by looking at the 4th letter i.e tap root has "P" while native Segwit has "Q".
I never thought of it, are bitcoin addresses case sensitive?

Dumb fu**, I should have known better 🤣
I am an embarrassment for a Legendary rank LOL
Activity: 2590
Merit: 650
Want top-notch marketing for your project, Hire me
July 12, 2022, 11:52:18 AM
In addition to the answer that was previously provided. You can distinguish native Segwit address and tap root by looking at the 4th letter i.e tap root has "P" while native Segwit has "Q".
With taproot transactions verification on the Bitcoin network is easier and more effective. It aids lower tx fees and also improves privacy.
legendary
Activity: 2310
Merit: 4313
🔐BitcoinMessage.Tools🔑
July 12, 2022, 11:47:24 AM
What are the advantages it has over a bech32 address?
I am not a technically competent person, but I will try to explain. bech32 encoding scheme contains a sophisticated error detection mechanism that can identify up to four mistypes in an address, and in some cases, it can tell you where those errors occurred. However, this scheme has a serious vulnerability which is called  "length extension mutation weakness" which in layman's terms means "it is possible to slightly alter bech32 address in such a way that doesn't invalidate checksum." In other words, if you accidentally make a typo in the address, your wallet still accepts it as valid, but you may lose your coins because there is no corresponding private key to an altered address. bech32m fixes this vulnerability by introducing a new checksum algorithm.

You can read more here:

https://bitcoinops.org/en/topics/bech32/
https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/101117/what-problems-identified-with-bech32-addresses-have-been-resolved-with-the-updat
https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/91602/how-does-the-bech32-length-extension-mutation-weakness-work
https://river.com/learn/terms/b/bech32-modified/
https://github.com/sipa/bech32/issues/51
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
July 12, 2022, 10:51:27 AM
If I understand correctly then Taproot is 4th type of address format.

Legacy start with a 1
Nested SegWit starts with a 3
Native SegWit stars with bc1

How to identify Taproot address?

This verity are going to be overwhelming and for someone like me who is old school it is going to be hard to remember

You can read this to know about the transaction fee advantage segwit version 0 (native segwit) has over segwit version 1 (pay-to-taproot).

Pay-to-taproot (P2TR) transaction fee

BIP 86: m/86'/0'/0'/0/0 > Taproot
Key Derivation for Single Key P2TR Outputs
For low output and more input transaction, like consolidation, pay-to-taproot fee is lesser
For low input and more output transaction, the fee for native segwit (version 0) is lesser (a very good advantage)
For the same input and output, the fees are almost the same for version 0 (bc1q addresses) and version 1 (bc1p addresses)

For multisig. Transaction will be indistinguishable as a result of key aggregation, even 15-of-15 multisig will have the same fee like a transaction made from single pubkey wallet.

Also it can help in lightning network while closing a channel, both party can join their signatures together to make a single one which will also reduce transaction fee. It makes key aggregation possible and generate a single key and schnorr signature.

With the help of adaptor signature, atomic swap is possible.

The difference in both addresses
bc1q... For native segwit (segwit version o)
bc1p... For pay-to-taproot (segwit version 1)

q is the witness version 0 for native segwit, p is the witness version 1 for pay-to-taproot.
legendary
Activity: 2702
Merit: 2645
Farewell LEO: o_e_l_e_o
July 12, 2022, 10:08:34 AM
If I understand correctly then Taproot is 4th type of address format.

Legacy start with a 1
Nested SegWit starts with a 3
Native SegWit stars with bc1

How to identify Taproot address?

This verity are going to be overwhelming and for someone like me who is old school it is going to be hard to remember 🙄
legendary
Cashback 15%
May 04, 2022, 11:03:35 AM
You can update this now, no need for manual import through the console/command.
Bitcoin Core version 23.0 now creates descriptor wallets with Taproot parent descriptors by default.
Thank you for reporting.
List is now updated and manual import removed from Bitcoin Core wallet.

No new wallets to report, but Keystone hardware wallet is currently working on adding Taproot support and they should be fourth hardware wallet that supports it, after Ledger, Trezor and BitBox02.
legendary
Activity: 2394
Merit: 5531
Self-proclaimed Genius
May 03, 2022, 11:29:41 PM
You can update this now, no need for manual import through the console/command.
Bitcoin Core version 23.0 now creates descriptor wallets with Taproot parent descriptors by default.

And it's now possible to request Bitcoin taproot "bech32m" address from the GUI's receive tab if the wallet has the parent descriptor:

Reference:
Wallet
  • Descriptor wallets are now the default wallet type. Newly created wallets
    will use descriptors unless descriptors=false is set during createwallet, or
    the Descriptor wallet checkbox is unchecked in the GUI.

• Newly created descriptor wallets will contain an automatically generated tr()
    descriptor which allows for creating single key Taproot receiving addresses.
Pages:
Jump to: