Pages:
Author

Topic: Litecoin build for noobs: 3x 7950s (1.8 MH/s) in a $10 crate case - page 2. (Read 78987 times)

Activity: 36
Merit: 0
i have a problem with afterburner.. i build this same exact rig as described. but every day about 2-3 times a day my computer frozes and i cant do nothing than restart. still not sure why is this happening, but today i saw that everything is working well . guiminer shows hashing in progress, but pool shows zero.. and when i clicked afterburner icon, computer frozed and was nothing possible to do than just restart.. someone have some idea?? or same problem?

Adjust your clocks and/or voltage. This happens to me when I set the voltage too high.
Activity: 89
Merit: 10
i have a problem with afterburner.. i build this same exact rig as described. but every day about 2-3 times a day my computer frozes and i cant do nothing than restart. still not sure why is this happening, but today i saw that everything is working well . guiminer shows hashing in progress, but pool shows zero.. and when i clicked afterburner icon, computer frozed and was nothing possible to do than just restart.. someone have some idea?? or same problem?
Activity: 35
About to assemble my first rig. I'll call it the TacoMiner, as a tribute.

Last question : can I use a flash drive instead of the SATA HD ? I want to start with a windows system first though, I need to study up before I can use the linux command line interface.

No, you can't use a flash drive for installing windows. You can only do that with linux.

I know this is a really old post - but yes, yes you can install windows from a flash drive, onto a flash drive - depending upon what version of the boot loader you use and if you opt to use VHDs or not etc etc.
Windows 8/server 2012 is easier to setup than windows 7 however for booting from a flash drive though, as you can just use windows 2 go.
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
Free World
I just have a question about this:

Put the vinyl cushions on the bottom of one of the crates.  Put the motherboard on top of the cushions.

That vinyl is plastic right? does it tend to melt or something if the mobo is so hot?

legendary
Activity: 1023
Merit: 1001
Tokenize Fantasy Sports
also I see that you set the msi 7950 to 1087/1050/1400, I read another post of yours and someone underclocked them to 1063/1050/625, so I tried it but card kept getting "sick", or "dead", upped voltage this morning to 1087, and it's stable again for the time being.  I noticed though that cgminer shows my voltage as 1188, and my memclock as 1250.

Is this normal, or do I need to add another switch to cgminer to make it not override?  Or is it just a bug?

legendary
Activity: 1023
Tokenize Fantasy Sports
on the rig, do you just set fan to "100", or let it run at "auto"?
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
bearded, drunk, fat, naked
as this is called the thread for the first rig - is there also a known good combination for a second one?
i.e. a combination that runs stable with 4 7950s?
is there a clear "king" of 7950s which definitely runs at the efficiency stated by tacominer (~600 kh/s per card at 625 W from the wall)? I could only get to 750 W with 580 kh/s per card with voltage unlocked sapphire OCs.

Mine came with 1.250 stock voltage, 950 clock speed and 1250 memory.
For scrypt, I could get them down to 1.075 voltage at 1050 clock speed and 1418 memory. I cannot seem to find a better relation between hashrate and electricity usage. I read about people buying card that come with 0.9 stock voltage...

I looked through countless threads but I cannot find a description of a card that is guaranteed to be good. Since "sapphire 7950" is not enough since there will be vapor X and OC and 4L and whatnot, and even given this specification there will probably still be different subtypes.

Also, does anyone have a 7950 where the memory can be undervolted seperately? I tried the modded sapphire trixx version but no luck.

Also, what's up with this guy: http://www.reddit.com/r/litecoin/comments/1cbg51/my_7950s_are_at_800k_somehowprt_scr/
Activity: 46
Here is my crate rig inspired by this thread:
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m79/kalmstyle/81FB9D3B-57F4-4BFC-8CA3-00BC344EA39D-73903-000029AF9862C38F_zps8d13dcc8.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m79/kalmstyle/EF45FE30-90E9-4B05-A0E2-21B384FE5050-73903-000029AF8BFF672E_zps18c2214f.jpg
Only 2 GPUs and one riser right now.  Another 7950 and 2 risers are in the mail and will be here later this week.

PVC pipe is only temporary until I get the risers and the third card, at which point all will be mounted to the crate.
Activity: 162
Merit: 100
i tried all card in all slots a no go. i hooked up a fpga for a bit and now all of a suddon it started workign correctly after 2 hours trying to figure it out .

so the problem is solved? go figure.

it seams to be only thing i did was unistall ccc and hook up a fpga and mined with bitminer software then all of a sudden it all worked.

well i spoke too soon i restarted system and it went bank down again. this is so crazy. oh well back to the drawign board.

Edit:
I found the problem, it seams the card runs low when i have a monitor plugged in on start up. if i unplug it and restart it runs perfect. thanks for the help i guees i never thought of NOT to use a monmitor
i tried all card in all slots a no go. i hooked up a fpga for a bit and now all of a suddon it started workign correctly after 2 hours trying to figure it out .

it seams to be only thing i did was unistall ccc and hook up a fpga and mined with bitminer software then all of a sudden it all worked.
legendary
Activity: 2072

legendary
cgminer i double click it and it runs. if i put the system to btc the low hash rate card gets 250 mh/s while other 2 are at 500 mh/s.

Most of us give args to cgminer to tell it how to run. It might be setting intensity very low on one card.
I know i just do not double click it.
after i open it i some time set setting but right now all i have is intensity = 18 in config for all 3 cards i have no other paramater set right now. when i run 2 cards i never had a problem with it like that

i assume you have tried all 3 cards individually or in pairs and no one card stands out as a problem?

i was hoping this was some type of simple mistake but i am out of guesses...
cgminer i double click it and it runs. if i put the system to btc the low hash rate card gets 250 mh/s while other 2 are at 500 mh/s.

Most of us give args to cgminer to tell it how to run. It might be setting intensity very low on one card.
after i open it i some time set setting but right now all i have is intensity = 18 in config for all 3 cards i have no other paramater set right now. when i run 2 cards i never had a problem with it like that
legendary

i am uninstalling control center now. i was giving win 8 for free from a friend why i use it.
legendary
Oh, and tell us how you are running cgminer pls.
legendary
Currently installed is

cg miner 2.11.4
win8 64 bit
amd control center vision 2013.0320.2223.3847
catalyst 13.3
driver packagin version 12.10.17-130320a-154717e-ati

teamviewer and then every thing else is stock machine is up to date on win update.

Cgminer is older but not bad.
Never used win 8. Only 7 64bit.
Amd ccc can be turned off. Try installing msi afterburner with overclock info put in config file. Google that.
13.3 should be ok. But get it from website. Not on install discs from packages you get. Like mb or vid card.

I am hoping msi afterburner sheds some light on things. Nifty program.
Currently installed is

cg miner 2.11.4
win8 64 bit
amd control center vision 2013.0320.2223.3847
catalyst 13.3
driver packagin version 12.10.17-130320a-154717e-ati

teamviewer and then every thing else is stock machine is up to date on win update.
legendary
would like to see if i can get help with this. i got a 3x 7950 rig and 2 cards work perfect but the 3rd only get about 80kh/s i got a good 850 watt psu and it pulls 500 watts running like this. 1 card is plugged in to board and the other 2 are on riser whole system is in a crate. 1 card is hooked up via mole connectors. motherboard is sli rated and so is psu. mother board has 5 picE slots i moved cards around and switched power cables. Using cg miner and card show up as 600,80,600 Kh/s.
Has any one run into this and know a common cause.
video cardhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125414
motherboardhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128509
PSUhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139015

Thanks you all for you help with this matter. i seen a few other post similar to this but no replies to them

What software do you have installed? List everything you installed with version pls.
Pages:
Jump to: