Pages:
Author

Topic: [LTC] Online Litecoin Miner - page 4. (Read 52246 times)

Activity: 838
Merit: 507
November 29, 2011, 05:56:27 PM
The first version of the embeddable miner is ready. Smiley
I have written a short guide for webmasters interested in testing:
http://www.litecoinpool.org/embed
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031
November 29, 2011, 12:32:42 AM
What about this on an Android phone?  I just bought one, heh.

Is Java available on Android OS?  Do I need to/can I install that first?

Then would this be possible to run on a cell phone?  I'm pretty sure mine is single core though.  Is there a way to lower the "priority" for a process like I can when I "task manager" the process to a lower priority?

Doesn't look like Java allows downloads from their site.  It says the Mobile Java needs to be installed by the distributor/developer.
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031
November 29, 2011, 12:25:00 AM
What about this on an Android phone?  I just bought one, heh.

Is Java available on Android OS?  Do I need to/can I install that first?

Then would this be possible to run on a cell phone?  I'm pretty sure mine is single core though.  Is there a way to lower the "priority" for a process like I can when I "task manager" the process to a lower priority?
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
November 28, 2011, 09:54:06 PM
(Edit: and the bitcoinplus site doesn't bother to point out that it costs WAY more in electricity to use than you will gain - in fact it doesn't point out anything at all about the costs and return ... I wonder why? Simple coz those numbers are so bad.)

Actually, in the case of that site, it was profitable when it started, even on a personal level I believe.  But it was more for people who owned sites, which at this point I don't think it is good for at all, I imagine only some form of browser "bot net" type situation would only make that valuable.  The owner abandoned the site for the most part, updates on it stopped long ago.

Anyways, of course I don't think that about Bitcoin as far as trading and TOR.  I know it is one application of it, just as the people who would abuse an online miner are only a subset of the people who want this on web sites. 

I think of the online miner as an ad replacement.  Web sites of full content, being able to have costs paid by the users electricity, who would rather pay with just a little electricity than the eyesores that are ads. 
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
November 28, 2011, 08:56:30 PM
Again I ask - why these projects?
The only real application for them is to steal CPU cycles from people browsing your web sites.

Just like the only real application for Bitcoin is to ensure illegal goods are able to be traded freely on TOR.    I guess it is possible to see it that way if you shut your eyes halfway so everything looks blurry.  
Never said that - so clearly "the only real application for Bitcoin is to ensure illegal goods are able to be traded freely on TOR" is your opinion.

Well it doesn't really matter coz I am certain that these mining programs will be added to web sites that will use your CPU without permission.
Then, of course, the browsers will add things to stop them and that will be the end of it.

(Edit: and the bitcoinplus site doesn't bother to point out that it costs WAY more in electricity to use than you will gain - in fact it doesn't point out anything at all about the costs and return ... I wonder why? Simple coz those numbers are so bad.)
November 28, 2011, 05:15:38 PM
On a side note, it would also be nice to be able to throttle back the miner so it doesn't use 100% of the cpu(s) it's running on.

Nice idea, I will definitely look into that.
Activity: 154
Merit: 101
Bitcoin!
November 28, 2011, 10:13:52 AM
On the technical side, I think it would be wise for such miners to leave single-core systems alone, and only start n-1 threads for an n-core system.
On a side note, it would also be nice to be able to throttle back the miner so it doesn't use 100% of the cpu(s) it's running on.
November 28, 2011, 09:17:59 AM
I would like to know what everybody thinks about embeddable miners, such as the one by BitcoinPlus (http://www.bitcoinplus.com/miner/embeddable).

Please do it.  I guarantee more Litecoin users because of this.   Many elements of BitcoinPlus were done right too, such as the page that explains why is my computer making noise when it's on this site and etc. 
November 28, 2011, 09:15:42 AM
Again I ask - why these projects?
The only real application for them is to steal CPU cycles from people browsing your web sites.

Just like the only real application for Bitcoin is to ensure illegal goods are able to be traded freely on TOR.    I guess it is possible to see it that way if you shut your eyes halfway so everything looks blurry.   
Activity: 900
Merit: 1000
Crypto Geek
November 28, 2011, 08:14:49 AM
Works great on win7 and 64bit. Can't get the applet to run without freezing on linux 32bit, Firefox or Chromium with Icetea6 java

Code:
java command is:
user         4274 99.5  9.7 801864 200528 ?       Sl   09:06   5:36 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/bin/java -Xbootclasspath/a:/usr/share/icedtea-web/netx.jar:/usr/share/icedtea-web/plugin.jar -classpath /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/rt.jar sun.applet.PluginMain /tmp/icedteaplugin-user/4230-icedteanp-plugin-to-appletviewer /tmp/icedteaplugin-j/4230-icedteanp-appletviewer-to-plugin
Code:
j@laptop:~$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_23"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.11pre) (6b23~pre10-0ubuntu5)
OpenJDK Server VM (build 20.0-b11, mixed mode)
j@laptop:~$

Will now try different java jre.
Activity: 633
November 27, 2011, 03:59:19 PM
I vote for release.  It functions as security and advertising for Litecoin.
Activity: 560
Merit: 501
November 27, 2011, 03:11:21 PM
I still haven't decided if I will release an embeddable miner, I would like to hear other people's opinions first.
Do it. It's going to happen anyways.

I want to expand the donation feature of the liteco.in forums to allow donating spare CPU cycles to that address (optional, of course), right now it's just a giant address - http://donate.liteco.in/1. This would allow that.
Activity: 132
Merit: 100
November 27, 2011, 03:04:14 PM
I think its a great idea  Wink
November 27, 2011, 12:23:22 PM
I would like to know what everybody thinks about embeddable miners, such as the one by BitcoinPlus (http://www.bitcoinplus.com/miner/embeddable).

First off, I want to make it clear that if Litecoin is successful somebody will eventually come up with a (potentially evil) embedded miner, no matter what. (Especially since I am going to release the source code of the Java miner very soon - stay tuned. Smiley)

As terrytibbs pointed out, for some sites such miners may represent a nice alternative to ads. On the other hand, they might be even more annoying to some visitors.
Personally I think they can be fine as long as the visitor is informed of what's going on (that would also bring some publicity to Litecoin), and can choose to opt-out at any moment. The problem is, of course, that this cannot be enforced by the pool to which the miner submits its work.

On the technical side, I think it would be wise for such miners to leave single-core systems alone, and only start n-1 threads for an n-core system.

I still haven't decided if I will release an embeddable miner, I would like to hear other people's opinions first.
Activity: 518
Merit: 250
November 23, 2011, 01:38:14 PM
my i5, running 64 bit firefox nightly, 64bit java:
Minerd: 3Khash
Online MIner: 2.2Khash

same but using 32 bit chrome:
1.2Khash

So yes, it looks like 64 bit OS/Java/Browser does matter quite a bit.
November 23, 2011, 07:41:59 AM
Doesn't auto-populate on the latest version of Chrome.

Thank you, that should be fixed now.

i3, running 1 thread, 64 bit W7 and 64 bit Java JRE 7, latest Chrome:
Minerd -- 1.44Khash
Online Miner -- .60Khash

So like I said, little less than half. Still pretty good though. I don't have a 64 bit browser -- I'll DL one of the firefox ones if I can find a stable-ish one.

I have revived an old single-core laptop (32-bit Pentium-M @ 1.7 GHz) and I get 0.37 kH/s, versus 0.75 kH/s of minerd.
So far it looks like a 67% ratio can be achieved on 64-bit systems, while 32-bit systems cannot get past 50%.

Given these results, my theory is that having a fully 64-bit environment (OS+browser+JVM) is the only way to achieve full performance.
If you think about it, it's a long way from the Java browser plugin to basic CPU instructions. And, as someone said, a (software) chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Smiley
Activity: 305
Trust but confirm!
November 23, 2011, 04:00:27 AM
Im running latest 64 bit nightly build of Firefox in my i5 560 Win 7 64. No issues at all. It automatically update to latest when there is new one Cheesy

Get Nightly build (caution, only for people who like to test things.. not for average joe)
http://nightly.mozilla.org/
Activity: 518
November 22, 2011, 09:28:53 PM
Doesn't auto-populate on the latest version of Chrome.

i3, running 1 thread, 64 bit W7 and 64 bit Java JRE 7, latest Chrome:
Minerd -- 1.44Khash
Online Miner -- .60Khash

So like I said, little less than half. Still pretty good though. I don't have a 64 bit browser -- I'll DL one of the firefox ones if I can find a stable-ish one.
November 22, 2011, 06:58:18 PM
It does correctly detect my quad core -- I'd just like to be able to limit it to at least 3 ( I like have 1 core free for other stuff) but I'd also like to simultaneously run 1 core comparisons.

Done! Smiley You should now be able to select the number of threads you want to start.

The "Threads" field should be auto-populated with the number of cores your CPU has when the page is loaded. Please let me know if that doesn't work in your browser.
Pages:
Jump to: