Pages:
Author

Topic: [LTC] Online Litecoin Miner - page 6. (Read 52246 times)

legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
November 20, 2011, 08:56:17 PM
You do not have to give explicit permission for A Java applet to run unless the applet codes that into it ...
That depends on your browser, but I must say, you're either blatantly stupid, or just use a really crappy browser, if it allows proprietary code to be ran on your machine without permission.
At least learn a little about Java before showing your ignorance and stupidity.
Activity: 838
Merit: 507
November 20, 2011, 06:48:14 PM
Good news, I have done some optimization and managed to get a ~40% speed increase.
The C-to-Java speed ratio has fallen below 2 on my test box!

Core 2 Duo (64 bit) 1.6 GHz, 2 threads
ArtForz's minerd: 3.3 kH/s
Online miner: 1.8 kH/s
Activity: 560
Merit: 501
November 20, 2011, 06:30:28 PM
You do not have to give explicit permission for A Java applet to run unless the applet codes that into it ...
That depends on your browser, but I must say, you're either blatantly stupid, or just use a really crappy browser, if it allows proprietary code to be ran on your machine without permission.
legendary
November 20, 2011, 06:23:42 PM
Java doesn't need opensource to check the code - you just decompile it back to java Smiley

Hmm - obfuscated - that hardly hides anything either ...

Again I ask - why these projects?
The only real application for them is to steal CPU cycles from people browsing your web sites.

Or to give simple mined people a way to join the mining and increase the security of the currency/ get others involved.
LOL yeah the standard excuse given by many who are simply stealing CPU cycles from others.
Who are these "simple mined people" Tongue
legendary
November 20, 2011, 06:21:07 PM
Java doesn't need opensource to check the code - you just decompile it back to java Smiley
Using that would be stealing.
Luckily I have no use for it other than to look at it ...
And that is NOT stealing (as I said above to 'check the code')
However, taking money from people and supplying them with faulty goods IS stealing.

The only real application for them is to steal CPU cycles from people browsing your web sites.
This is far from stealing, the user has to give explicit permission for the Java applet to run. Besides, it's a way of contributing to authors you love without having to watch disturbing advertisements.
Wrong.
November 20, 2011, 05:29:49 PM

I minified the bytecode because that makes it a little faster, not to obfuscate it. I'm as enthusiastic a supporter of OSS as anyone, and I will release the source code soon.
But first I would like to take a few days to see how much further I can push the miner's speed myself. Kind of a personal challenge Cheesy
November 20, 2011, 05:17:38 PM
Using that would be stealing.

This is far from stealing, the user has to give explicit permission for the Java applet to run. Besides, it's a way of contributing to authors you love without having to watch disturbing advertisements.
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031
November 20, 2011, 05:12:12 PM

Or to give simple mined people a way to join the mining and increase the security of the currency/ get others involved.
legendary
November 20, 2011, 04:55:21 PM

November 20, 2011, 04:45:56 PM
Java(TM) Plug-in Fatal Error

Several Java Virtual Machines running in the same process caused an error

What does this mean?

I've looked that up on Google, and it looks like that message is often an indication of a corrupted Java installation. Check here if your browser has problems loading applets:
http://javatester.org/version.html
Also, if you have an old version of the JRE, please update it. There appears to be a Java bug (now fixed) connected with the message you reported.
http://bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=6433218

I'm running another cpu miner; should I turn that off before using your website?

That should not be necessary, but of course if you run two miners at the same time they will share CPU cycles, so you won't be able to compare their performance.
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031
November 20, 2011, 04:24:41 PM
Java(TM) Plug-in Fatal Error

Several Java Virtual Machines running in the same process caused an error

What does this mean?  I'm running another cpu miner; should I turn that off before using your website?
November 20, 2011, 02:15:20 PM
This is an independent project. I knew that Vanderbleek was working on a stand-alone Java miner because of his posts in the main Litecoin thread, but I didn't know his code was on GitHub (thank you for the link!). As far as I can see, though, both projects are based on the same pre-existing Scrypt implementation.
Ah, I see.

Great work, I hope you open-source it, you can learn from each other and hopefully make the most kick-ass miner on the face of the earth.
November 20, 2011, 02:12:33 PM
This shortly follows the release of Vanderbleek's miner, so I have to ask:
Is this his miner or have you both been working your asses off on independent projects?

(https://github.com/Vanderbleek/JavaSCryptMiner)

This is an independent project. I knew that Vanderbleek was working on a stand-alone Java miner because of his posts in the main Litecoin thread, but I didn't know his code was on GitHub (thank you for the link!). As far as I can see, though, both projects are based on the same pre-existing Scrypt implementation.
November 20, 2011, 02:03:19 PM
This shortly follows the release of Vanderbleek's miner, so I have to ask:
Is this his miner or have you both been working your asses off on independent projects?

(https://github.com/Vanderbleek/JavaSCryptMiner)
November 20, 2011, 01:46:12 PM
I have finally succeeded in putting together a (hopefully) working online miner for Litecoin.
This is still highly experimental, and of course this kind of miner will always be slower than the classic minerd.

http://www.litecoinpool.org/miner

You can use the username and password of one of your pool workers, or you can leave the "Worker" field blank if you just want to test it out (shares found this way are credited to a special pool account, and you will not be able to redeem them).

Please check it out, and let me know of any unexpected behavior!
It would also be useful to have some feedback on hashrates for different machines. For instance, on the box I'm using for testing (a Core 2 Duo) this first version is about 3 times slower than ArtForz's cpuminer. I think that's quite a good Java-to-C ratio (I haven't finished optimizing the code yet), but of course your mileage may vary.

UPDATE: On 64-bit systems, the current version can get up to 67% the speed of the reference miner by ArtForz (you must be running a 64-bit Java Virtual Machine and a 64-bit browser). 32-bit systems don't perform as well, but still manage to get about 50% of the speed.

The source code is available under the GNU GPL license. https://github.com/pooler/JMiner
Pages:
Jump to: