Pages:
Author

Topic: Maidsafe - page 7. (Read 9424 times)

Activity: 658
Merit: 501
April 22, 2014, 02:14:53 AM
I am trying to figure out if spending Bitcoin to buy Safecoin is a good idea or not.  They say there is going to be a grand total of roughly 4.3 billion Safecoin.  Right now they are offering 17,000 of them for 1 Bitcoin. 

4,300,000,000/17,000 = 252,941

So for 1 Bitcoin out of 21 million Bitcoins you can have the equivalent of 1 Safecoin out of 252,941 Safecoins.  So what is a Safecoin?  Is it actually a partial ownership in the "company"?  The "company's" value will be the total value of all Safecoins?  So for 1 Bitcoin *$500 right now* I could own 1/250,000th of a company that could potentially be worth unfathomably more than that?  That sounds like a decent bet, I might take them up on it, but only if I am understanding it correctly.  Am I understanding it correctly?

I am also curious, how powerful are their patents?  With Bitcoin no patents are involved, so anybody can pretty much copy any/all of it, so a bajillion competitors could pop up and do the same thing, or even do it better, which is one of the inherent risks with Bitcoin.  Will the Maidsafe patents make it invulernable to this risk?  Even with the patents, could other people still copy it anyways?  How enforceable are the patents?

Anybody help me understand this?

There are definitely some unique distinctions with Maidsafe as opposed to Freenet with its proof or resource incentive's but the valuation seems high at 126 million for a new company without any guarantees on profitability or future acceptance.

4,300,000,000/17,000 = 252,941 x 500USD = 126,470,500.

Very risky.

Looks like they are using a combination of opensource GPL3 with releasing some software under their own commercial license - http://maidsafe.net/licenses/LICENSE.txt and charging for profit company's 1% as well as a means of future revenue generation.

The risk I would suggest as an investor is the opensource code being forked onto a bitcoin side-chain where there is no IPO buy in of 10%(possibly more with bonus structure??) and 15 % allocated for developers (I'm assuming they will control these funds too?).
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1008
Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political
April 22, 2014, 01:40:30 AM
Bitcoin has a high value because of its network of miners (which provide security), merchants, exchanges, wallet solutions, community, reputation, history, and other intangibles. 

Many altcoins piggyback off of bitcoin's code but only have a tiny fraction of its value because they lack those qualities.

In the world of cryptocurrency, bitcoin is the undisputed champ, and the most solid investment.

As for maidsafe, I haven't investigated it.  If bitcoin is considered risky by traditional standards, then maidsafe doubly so.

I don't invest in altcoins.  Some do, though.  If you really believe in the innovation and predict it will adopted and rise in value, go for it.
Activity: 49
Merit: 0
April 22, 2014, 01:19:09 AM
I am trying to figure out if spending Bitcoin to buy Safecoin is a good idea or not.  They say there is going to be a grand total of roughly 4.3 billion Safecoin.  Right now they are offering 17,000 of them for 1 Bitcoin. 

4,300,000,000/17,000 = 252,941

So for 1 Bitcoin out of 21 million Bitcoins you can have the equivalent of 1 Safecoin out of 252,941 Safecoins.  So what is a Safecoin?  Is it actually a partial ownership in the "company"?  The "company's" value will be the total value of all Safecoins?  So for 1 Bitcoin *$500 right now* I could own 1/250,000th of a company that could potentially be worth unfathomably more than that?  That sounds like a decent bet, I might take them up on it, but only if I am understanding it correctly.  Am I understanding it correctly?

I am also curious, how powerful are their patents?  With Bitcoin no patents are involved, so anybody can pretty much copy any/all of it, so a bajillion competitors could pop up and do the same thing, or even do it better, which is one of the inherent risks with Bitcoin.  Will the Maidsafe patents make it invulernable to this risk?  Even with the patents, could other people still copy it anyways?  How enforceable are the patents?

Anybody help me understand this?
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1008
Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political
April 22, 2014, 12:37:00 AM
Then how come no one is talking about freenet
legendary
Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001
April 21, 2014, 10:21:30 PM
I guess these guys have never heard of FreeNet.
ohh Hello, they have been around since 2001 i think...
Activity: 644
Merit: 251
April 21, 2014, 09:15:19 PM
Ipo is too expensive and they are manipulate the market. The latter one makes people whether this project is just a scam in order to pump MSC.
Activity: 696
Merit: 258
April 21, 2014, 06:22:26 PM
Proof of storage. Just added url.
Activity: 882
Merit: 500
April 21, 2014, 06:19:42 PM
How come nobody's talking about this?
Looks like one of the most innovative uses of
the blockchain concept since bitcoin itself. After
all it's it just about the money ;-)

I do not know of what you are speaking.