Pages:
Author

Topic: MATTHEW N. WRIGHT IS A SCAMMER - page 4. (Read 7076 times)

BCB
vip
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
BCJ
September 09, 2012, 02:13:50 PM
Boycotts are fine.  Name calling is obviously fine on BCT.  However, I still lack clarity on the scammer tag.   MNW obviously, much to his pleasure, provoked a mob, but does that make him a scammer?
legendary
Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064
Bitcoin is antisemitic
September 09, 2012, 02:12:14 PM
he offered the bet as a hedge against pirate losses
and a lot of people didnt sell their pirate accounts for
 75% -50% -25% etc because they thought they were
sufficiently hedged either way

Not only: I even bought some FOO.PPPPT at 50% to hedge in case I lose my bet with Matthew. And now they are at 0.05 BTC each.

So much for:

No funds changed hands...as far as we are aware.

You can be sure that some money changed hands, so much that I am now wondering if Matthew is a Pirate's shill.

Lets take a lesson from Matthew and not rush to judgement.

WUT? Which lesson? That the BTC scene is a playground of scammers-trolls? And would that not be a judgement?
donator
Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047
I outlived my lifetime membership:)
September 09, 2012, 02:09:41 PM
No funds changed hands. 

Obviously folks on this board have a lot of choice words for him but scammer does not seem to fit if we are defining the term scammer as someone who is fraudulently in possession of someone else's good or funds as a result of a trade or deal in which one party did not uphold their end of the agreement.  "Possession of funds or goods" being the operative term.
No funds changed hands...as far as we are aware. Lets take a lesson from Matthew and not rush to judgement. That said, I'm betting no money changed into his hands.
legendary
Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014
September 09, 2012, 02:07:49 PM
Whoever got scammed should boycott all of Matt's bitcoin products.  Ellet, Bitcoin Magazine, etc.
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
September 09, 2012, 02:06:25 PM
Now I am curious to learn what in the world the victims were thinking.

I removed 165 BTC (my bet against Matthew) from my circulating capital for 2 weeks. So I lost some coins which I could get using these 165 coins on MtGox...
Why did you remove them from circulation if you were so sure you could have made coins with them? There was no definite time period on the bet. You would have had plenty of time to make a few up/down cycles.

Price of the bitcoin was very unstable during that period, so there was a chance to get less than required amount. And it's very hard to acquire bitcoins in my country without a credit card. So I left the coins untouched. Just in case.
BCB
vip
BCJ
September 09, 2012, 02:06:14 PM
Wagering is rarely enforceable in court, depending on your jurisdiction.  So what Theymos is saying by labeling MNW a scammer is that wagering IS enforceable on Bitcointalk.org.  Correct?  Theymos, could you please confirm.

Thanks.
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
September 09, 2012, 01:58:52 PM

I removed 165 BTC (my bet against Matthew) from my circulating capital for 2 weeks. So I lost some coins which I could get using these 165 coins on MtGox...
Why did you remove them from circulation if you were so sure you could have made coins with them? There was no definite time period on the bet. You would have had plenty of time to make a few up/down cycles.
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000
Si vis pacem, para bellum
September 09, 2012, 01:54:10 PM
he offered the bet as a hedge against pirate losses
and a lot of people didnt sell their pirate accounts for
 75% -50% -25% etc because they thought they were
sufficiently hedged either way

even if MNW didnt profit personally ,his scam cost a lot of
people money so he deserves to be taxed as heavily as possible
and it looks like the BTC magazine and other things are going to
bear the brunt of the retribution and hes still on the forum laughing
about it like some retarded kid

i thought he was one of the few decent people involved in bitcoin,now
he just looks like a lying cheating scammer ,as if bitcoin needed another
one of those ........

BCB
vip
BCJ
September 09, 2012, 01:52:24 PM
Can someone please explain to me how the people who bet with matthew are "victims"??
Activity: 812
Merit: 1006
September 09, 2012, 01:51:37 PM
No funds changed hands. 

Obviously folks on this board have a lot of choice words for him but scammer does not seem to fit if we are defining the term scammer as someone who is fraudulently in possession of someone else's good or funds as a result of a trade or deal in which one party did not uphold their end of the agreement.  "Possession of funds or goods" being the operative term.

Your definitions suck. I would bet that any sensible definition would label Matthew as a scammer. Scammer = someone who promises something but doesn't keep his/her promises.
Activity: 686
Merit: 564
September 09, 2012, 01:51:18 PM
Also, I believe some people with money in BS&T were using Matthew's bet as a way of hedging their losses and have lost money as a result, and Matthew not only knew this but encouraged it.
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
September 09, 2012, 01:50:10 PM

BCB
vip
BCJ
September 09, 2012, 01:49:59 PM
No funds changed hands. 

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
September 09, 2012, 01:44:51 PM
Theymos,

Can we get a clarification on the Scammer tag. Mathew N Wright may have welched on his bet but did he actually scam any one.  Is Mathew N Wright actually in possession of any of the funds from the bets?   If not I would think he can be labeled a welcher, but not a scammer.    A little clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks.
The issue is that many would have payed MNW if they lost the bet.  Matthew was scamming expected value.
BCB
vip
BCJ
September 09, 2012, 01:43:58 PM
Theymos,

Can we get a clarification on the Scammer tag. Mathew N Wright may have welched on his bet but did he actually scam any one.  Is Mathew N Wright actually in possession of any of the funds from the bets?   If not I would think he can be labeled a welcher, but not a scammer.    A little clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Activity: 756
Merit: 501
There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.
September 09, 2012, 01:38:56 PM
Oh, hi folks! I was curious about this whole MNW thing, and browsed through several pages in two threads related to the bet, but couldn't find out what exactly happened.

I've had the sucker on "ignore" for many months, long before Pirate and the bet. I was repeatedly annoyed with his personal traits, and simply couldn't stand it. Therefore, I missed out on the whole bet story. Now I am curious to learn what in the world the victims were thinking.
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
September 09, 2012, 01:29:53 PM
As long as people tolerate such bets and other ventures there will be threads like this, lol.
Activity: 218
Merit: 100
Firstbits: 19e3fc
September 09, 2012, 01:21:10 PM
Not a very good scammer either. Pirate, mybitcoin, Bruce Wagner, et al, got away with tons of money, Matthew got nothing.

Okay he is the worst scammer of all. LOL

I second that and find this ridiculous.
You can literally take away few million $ and stay good, in the same time you can promise to give away almost $900k and in the end not fulfil promise and get scammer tag within 10 minutes. Grin
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
September 09, 2012, 01:17:34 PM
Not a very good scammer either. Pirate, mybitcoin, Bruce Wagner, et al, got away with tons of money, Matthew got nothing.

Okay he is the worst scammer of all. LOL
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
September 09, 2012, 01:13:29 PM
Pages:
Jump to: