Author

Topic: [Mining OS] SimpleMining.net - Manage Your GPU farm the easy way! (30 days free) - page 582. (Read 834244 times)

legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1076
BTCLife.global participant
And we are waiting for Zcash mining support in your OS!  Wink I promise to make a donation if this OS will be useful for me in Zcash mining.  Smiley
O_m
Activity: 12
Merit: 0
Did you test RX OS with any cards R9 (not 2xx)?
legendary
Activity: 2660
Merit: 1096
Simplemining.net Admin
I cant test it becasue i dont have R9 200 series, i only put support becasue driver supoorts them - thats say AMD Tongue
O_m
Activity: 12
I tried to use RX 1009 OS  with one RX 470 and two R9 280x cards and in that way works only one RX 470 card. R9 280x don't work with OS RX 1009... Did anyone try to use different cards? (R and RX together)
Activity: 440
Merit: 250

I understand that you can install it on raspberry, but it would be only you and meaby 2 other people.
Rest poeple are not admins/programing guys so the idea is also not so good.

I guess every human involved in mining is able to flash am image to SD card, to insert it into RasPi and to configure all personal info after start. Especially if there is a nice Readme and a web-server on that RasPi, so the operator will open 127.0.0.1:portNo and control his rigs via his own "master" Raspberry. Don't you think so?  Smiley

p.s. and yes, there is no need to run the controlling part exactly on Raspberry.  Wink

I have the exact same demand to host it on my own for my machines, moreover i can add few other things that are worth monitoring for me. I suppose the web code is pretty simple, jest let us know a direction. The Claymore built-in monitoring is doing the same except that it's only read-only.
legendary
Simplemining.net Admin
Meaby its not a bad idea doing this as:
a) currently released  R and RX series of mining Operating System everyone is using now
b) mining manager OS that can be used locally instead of my website.

Meaby it is good idea, and someday i will go this path if more people will demand it.

Anyway about ddos, yeah its a pain. I have cloudflare from the begining but big ddos could destroy anything Smiley
Anyway i developed mining system to procect from downtime of my website.
So when my webstie is down it will be mining anyway, even reboot of miner wont do damage and it will start mining using old config.
Only statistics, email notifications and changing settings would not work.

Anyway central managemnt have own pros:
- i can earn my few $ for service and dont need to take care of crackers who dont want to pay fo service Tongue
- its very simple for all users, you dont need to extra configure things and spend XX hours on extra things

Also cons:
- centralised system are vournable becasue of ddos and hacking

About payment i think that when the right numbers of miners will be using my soft, and the soft itself will be in my eyes stable and "good" then i will think about some $ from it.
I have no problem providing system that will be good for everyone like 1$ per month or 15-20$ per lifetime... Its all to be discussed but i really think its not the time for this becasue where i see it it will be long path before i will do paid service.
I need to make sure that everything is done from my side as "perfect" - i dont want to get paid for beta service.

Anyway also important for me is that i have system one system to update and not 1000 instalations which can fuck up Tongue
I will think about making manager OS when i will have stable current platform.

Best idea it would be to make the system on decentralised network like ethereum, meaby someday we will and that will be unhackable and unddosable Smiley

As now i am little player compared to ethOS and NiceHash.
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1076
BTCLife.global participant

I understand that you can install it on raspberry, but it would be only you and meaby 2 other people.

I guess every human involved in mining is able to flash am image to SD card, to insert it into RasPi and to configure all personal info after start. Especially if there is a nice Readme and a web-server on that RasPi, so the operator will open 127.0.0.1:portNo and control his rigs via his own "master" Raspberry. Don't you think so?  Smiley

p.s. and yes, there is no need to run the controlling part exactly on Raspberry.  Wink
Activity: 687
Merit: 511
Yeah i know, banks, even exchanges are centralised and soner or later they can be hacked.
I am open to suggestions but the main idea wat to be simple and manage all rigs from one place.
Anyway i will implement one feature in some time that will protect unauthorized updates even if my website would be hacked.
More and more protections will be implemented over time. Now i am foucusing on system being usable as most as possible.
And i am aware that there is no system that would be hacker proof. Lets look at twite,r amazon, apple and other hacket comapnies Smiley
Still if anybody have an ideas how to make it buletproof then you are welcome to PM me.
I have myself few ideas but i cant do all those things at one time Smiley
I have my own company which takes more than full time job and i also try to do this as a hobbie becasue i like it Smiley

So my concern falls less into the category of your system being hacked, and more from the DDoS's that are so prevalent in our space - as you start becoming a more popular OS for mining, then if they DDoS you, it effectively stops control of anyone using your software.  This is something you really can't plan or design around, as illustrated by all the companies having issues in the last week with large scale DDoS's.

For big farms i am doing completly different thing and yeah, the miner are not pointed to my simplemining.net but to their own server.
Anyway if we could figure out how secure all te process co only miner would have access to his rig then it would be nice.
But idea of autoupdates is also main fundament or my soft. But if you have specific ideas then i am open to listen and think.

So how I personally would implement this would be to have two distributions - one being your mining OS image and the second being your Mining OS + Command/Control.  Really I don't care if it runs on a RPi or not, I would just take one of the machines and have it be the central management for all the other machines I have.  This way it doesn't alter updates or anything else - you basically just have two images you manage.

For updates, you might also consider how Google changed their update process on the latest version of Android - I've developed software for embedded devices, and we've changed our upgrade process to mimic their's, and it's REALLY convenient.  Basically we have to update paths - one is the base OS image, the second is our software.  For the base OS image, there are two partitions on the boot device, and it writes the new OS image in the unmounted partition, and just sets it to be the active partition on next boot.  For our software (and settings), it exists on a 3rd partition (so it's independent of OS updates) and we retrieve PGP signed zip+install script files.  One of the (many) benefits of this approach is there's almost no downtime - even with a full OS update, it can happen in the background while the system is running, and then it's just a reboot to change.  For the software, it's even less impact - just stopping the services, performing the update, and starting the services back up.

First i was thinking about taking some little fee like 2-3%, but then i relised that i should not talk about money when the product is in beta.
Product must be more stable and offer much more features before i could ask for fee.
Anyway i realised also that fee would be bad idea becasue people want to use it on different pools etc so it would be very hard to get my fee and i dont think restarting miner from time to time to get portion of my fee would be a good idea.
So i will propobly end up with 1-3$ per rig/month (depending on GPU number or not ... i dont thing much about it becasue its not really a time for it Smiley

I think a percentage is tough, especially when combined with Claymore and the pool - suddenly 10+% of your revenue is getting gobbled up by fees and really that's when it's cost effective for larger miners to look eliminate it.

Personally I'm not a fan of monthly fees either - I would suggest maybe considering something akin the lines of what Plex does.  With them, you can pay monthly fees if you want, but you can also pay a larger sum for 'lifetime' support for the device.  So let's say for instance you decide to make it $1/month, maybe you can do a 'lifetime' purchase for $20/machine.  That's far more appealing to me, as it makes accounting much simpler as time lets me reduce my capital expense - and this allows you to get a larger sum up front, but probably the bulk of your users will probably still do the month to month.

I would throw this out as another option - you could make a 'bound' version of your miner that mines only on your pool - and just change the normal pool fees.  I really wouldn't mind at all doing that, and you'd make quite a bit more than $1/month from me at least per machine.  And let people who don't way to pay that way do the monthly or lifetime option.

Meaby laaaaater,... I am focusing on my needs and needs most of people.
I cant do low required things - thats why i was thinking about making something like vote pool with features.
Will see.

Sure, and really if you have some WebAPI on the Command/Control side, it's trivial for me to write something to do that on my side.  I've already done it for the PDU's I use, etc - just would be cool to have a tightly integrated solution.

I must say that my path was little diffrent and its changing based on demands of people.
I didnt wanted to make custom options in miner becasue i wanted to redirect power to MY pool and take in some time fee from that.
But too many people pushed and wanted more customization so i changed my thinking.
Also i dont like being atacked becasue i am closing and rejecting all ideas.
But when you ask me in a kind way like YOU do, then i am ready to talk and think. (yeah this i my bad attribute - like many IT guys)
I have no problem modifying concept if most people agrees to it.
I already know that i wont earn with my soft much but it will be at least my new hobbie Smiley
And just to be clean, i am using this soft for my rigs so i am also like doing this for me Smiley

So if you guys hav eideas, go and tell me, i am writing them to my list and doing when i can but trust me i am really busy so i cant do this at once.

As now i will be focused on zcash as many people are, it should be well made before start.
Propobly i will end up with few different gpu miners as i see it Cheesy becasue there will be few different GPU miners for zcash Cheesy

Yeah, I certainly didn't mean any of my comments as an attack - just really was kind of answering the questions on your website "Tell me what you need to get started using my OS".  Wink  I think one of the challenges in the mining space is that everyone has their own priorities and goals.  I think Claymore's miner is a great example - lots of people don't like that you have to pay a fee to use it, and lots of people (like me) have no issue paying for better software that's easier to work with.

Oh, and the best hobbies are the ones that also pay you to do them... Smiley
Activity: 44
Info:

Claymore 7.3 is online.

Nice function for me "-fanmin" -> wishlist -> simplemining.

Thanks.
legendary
Simplemining.net Admin
Thx for questions MarkAz,

Hey tytanick, are you always going to require control via your website?  If so, that's a dealkiller for me - I can't have my ability to control my devices reliant on a 3rd party site.  In a perfect world, I could designate one machine to be the 'master' and run the admin portion, and just have all the miners point to it.  If I could run it on something like an RPi, even better.
Yeah i know, banks, even exchanges are centralised and soner or later they can be hacked.
I am open to suggestions but the main idea wat to be simple and manage all rigs from one place.
Anyway i will implement one feature in some time that will protect unauthorized updates even if my website would be hacked.
More and more protections will be implemented over time. Now i am foucusing on system being usable as most as possible.
And i am aware that there is no system that would be hacker proof. Lets look at twite,r amazon, apple and other hacket comapnies Smiley
Still if anybody have an ideas how to make it buletproof then you are welcome to PM me.
I have myself few ideas but i cant do all those things at one time Smiley
I have my own company which takes more than full time job and i also try to do this as a hobbie becasue i like it Smiley

For big farms i am doing completly different thing and yeah, the miner are not pointed to my simplemining.net but to their own server.
Anyway if we could figure out how secure all te process co only miner would have access to his rig then it would be nice.
But idea of autoupdates is also main fundament or my soft. But if you have specific ideas then i am open to listen and think.

On the pay side of things, I look forward to seeing what you end up charging - I would have zero issues with paying for something that simplifies the process.  Pay per machine is probably the best way, although if it requires something beyond activation per rig, then it would also be a dealkiller for me - I've seen enough people complaining about ethOS to not want to go down that path - I have no issues with using your site to do a one-time activation per machine, so you're getting paid for them, but having them potentially go down later is a no go again (at least for me).
First i was thinking about taking some little fee like 2-3%, but then i relised that i should not talk about money when the product is in beta.
Product must be more stable and offer much more features before i could ask for fee.
Anyway i realised also that fee would be bad idea becasue people want to use it on different pools etc so it would be very hard to get my fee and i dont think restarting miner from time to time to get portion of my fee would be a good idea.
So i will propobly end up with 1-3$ per rig/month (depending on GPU number or not ... i dont thing much about it becasue its not really a time for it Smiley

The only other feature I would ideally like to see is the ability to schedule both stopping of mining, and shutdown of the device - where I'm at I have a power plan that is time of use (TOU), and in the summer the peak hours are high enough it's cheaper to just shut down the miners.  Typically I kill claymore about 5 minutes before I shut down the machine - this way the cards have time to cool down before the machine (and fans) are turned off.
Meaby laaaaater,... I am focusing on my needs and needs most of people.
I cant do low required things - thats why i was thinking about making something like vote pool with features.
Will see.

Final question - how does it doe with 7 card rigs?  The rig I would ultimately test it on has 7 cards, and it's the template for most of my builds going forward.
I tested only with 6 gpus becasue i dont have bigger motherboard but anyway it should not be a problem i suppose.
Even if in R OS it wont work then report it to me and i will fix it. In RX OS it should work out of box.

Anyway, I understand if these aren't on your path - but if it is, then please let me know so I can set aside time to install it on one of my systems and eval it.  I've been keeping an eye on what you've been doing since you started, and must say I think you're doing a great job - just hope I can use it!  Wink
I must say that my path was little diffrent and its changing based on demands of people.
I didnt wanted to make custom options in miner becasue i wanted to redirect power to MY pool and take in some time fee from that.
But too many people pushed and wanted more customization so i changed my thinking.
Also i dont like being atacked becasue i am closing and rejecting all ideas.
But when you ask me in a kind way like YOU do, then i am ready to talk and think. (yeah this i my bad attribute - like many IT guys)
I have no problem modifying concept if most people agrees to it.
I already know that i wont earn with my soft much but it will be at least my new hobbie Smiley
And just to be clean, i am using this soft for my rigs so i am also like doing this for me Smiley

So if you guys hav eideas, go and tell me, i am writing them to my list and doing when i can but trust me i am really busy so i cant do this at once.

As now i will be focused on zcash as many people are, it should be well made before start.
Propobly i will end up with few different gpu miners as i see it Cheesy becasue there will be few different GPU miners for zcash Cheesy
Activity: 687
Merit: 511
Hey tytanick, are you always going to require control via your website?  If so, that's a dealkiller for me - I can't have my ability to control my devices reliant on a 3rd party site.  In a perfect world, I could designate one machine to be the 'master' and run the admin portion, and just have all the miners point to it.  If I could run it on something like an RPi, even better.

On the pay side of things, I look forward to seeing what you end up charging - I would have zero issues with paying for something that simplifies the process.  Pay per machine is probably the best way, although if it requires something beyond activation per rig, then it would also be a dealkiller for me - I've seen enough people complaining about ethOS to not want to go down that path - I have no issues with using your site to do a one-time activation per machine, so you're getting paid for them, but having them potentially go down later is a no go again (at least for me).

The only other feature I would ideally like to see is the ability to schedule both stopping of mining, and shutdown of the device - where I'm at I have a power plan that is time of use (TOU), and in the summer the peak hours are high enough it's cheaper to just shut down the miners.  Typically I kill claymore about 5 minutes before I shut down the machine - this way the cards have time to cool down before the machine (and fans) are turned off.

Final question - how does it doe with 7 card rigs?  The rig I would ultimately test it on has 7 cards, and it's the template for most of my builds going forward.

Anyway, I understand if these aren't on your path - but if it is, then please let me know so I can set aside time to install it on one of my systems and eval it.  I've been keeping an eye on what you've been doing since you started, and must say I think you're doing a great job - just hope I can use it!  Wink
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
Thx for info.
About fan speed i would have to make own custom script that will controll fan speed based on parameter.
I am aware that claymore doesnt work for RX400 series and sets 80 C i suppose.
I will try to do that but after Zcash release.

Also i think that still is a problem in RX OS in overcloking.
Sometimes it stes wrong dpm level and also sometimes speed of mining is lower than it should be.
I dont have this confirmed for sure because in my 3 rigs tis working without any issues but i hear from my friend that its not working as it should.
Can anyone confirm if mining speed and OC iw working or not in RX OS release ?

Also there was v1009 little update that only disabled syslog in RX OS.

I am curently testing zcash gpu miner and if it goes ok then i will implement in my OS Smiley
There is plenty of time so dont worry.
Also i am thinkin that i could make CPU miner as an option to enable on each rig. But most important is GPU miner for zcash.

it doesn't for sure if im under windows i use after burner for fan control when i use claymore it seems to keep my temps were i want them and makes claymore miner adjust to it and  sty at a good steady 28 MH . if i let claymore do it all my temps get up there .
My feedback for DPM settings with RX480,

I played with this future but mostly with no mining speedup. At moment, i can use it to control the temperatur for the GPU's -> "DPM 5".

parameter "-tt 70" does not limit my temperatures.

Best regards.

Entryboy

p.s.: ZCASH with GPU -> fine. My test with an AMD CPU X6 1090T = 2.5H/s (5 cores) parallel to GPU mining.
legendary
Simplemining.net Admin
Thx for info.
About fan speed i would have to make own custom script that will controll fan speed based on parameter.
I am aware that claymore doesnt work for RX400 series and sets 80 C i suppose.
I will try to do that but after Zcash release.

Also i think that still is a problem in RX OS in overcloking.
Sometimes it stes wrong dpm level and also sometimes speed of mining is lower than it should be.
I dont have this confirmed for sure because in my 3 rigs tis working without any issues but i hear from my friend that its not working as it should.
Can anyone confirm if mining speed and OC iw working or not in RX OS release ?

Also there was v1009 little update that only disabled syslog in RX OS.

I am curently testing zcash gpu miner and if it goes ok then i will implement in my OS Smiley
There is plenty of time so dont worry.
Also i am thinkin that i could make CPU miner as an option to enable on each rig. But most important is GPU miner for zcash.
RX V1008 works for me.

2 x XFX RX 480 on a AM2+ Mainboard with HDD. Core DPM = 5 + mem 12 %.

Results:

ETC=47.2 MH    SIA=708 MH    TEMP=74 69    FAN=73 63

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
small help for other people -> custom miner options (coinotron + sia):

-epool coinotron.com:3345 -ewal yourcoinotronusername.worker -esm 2 -epsw x -dpool stratum+tcp://siamining.com:7777 -dwal yoursianumber.worker -dcoin sia -dpsw x -allpools 1 -tt 80

coinotron ports:

3344 = ETH
3345 = ETC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

small wish for future use:

working parameter "-fanmax 100"

because one of the cards reach under normal clocking 85°C. The fanspeed was only 75% -> ergo -> gpu throttle? -> lower mining.

Thanks.   
legendary
Simplemining.net Admin
those errors are "normal" i woud say.
Everyone has them Tongue
I have them and its working ok
Activity: 662
Merit: 501
GPUs status:
[ 523.698412]
failed to send pre message 201 ret is 0
[ 523.913983]
failed to send message 201 ret is 0
[ 526.214582]
failed to send pre message 200 ret is 0
[ 526.430122]
failed to send message 200 ret is 0
[ 526.646367]
[ 526.861900]
[ 529.164942]
failed to send pre message 200 ret is 0
[ 529.380477]
failed to send message 200 ret is 0
[ 529.596748]
[ 529.812279]
legendary
Simplemining.net Admin
v1008 UPDATE

Very small big fix in RX OS regarding Overclocking.
It might not work when you had less than 3 GPUs Smiley

Anyway, tell me guys do you have problem with setting dpm and overclocking under RX OS.
Still one guy has problem which i personally saw via his Team Viewer.

All 3 mi rigs with RX470 are working fine and overclockin fine. Tell me what is your experiense.

Activity: 662
Merit: 501
Set dpm core 5 mem 15 but;

4.1 mhs ?
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
all good i thought id give it a shot sense it now has rx 400 support getting tried of windows i still wish it was some thing like windows 7 but improved more but win 7 is kind of done. i believe sgminer will be better over time, it's old school by that i mean nothing new to learn reports everything but right now Claymore is the best one to use out the box , sgminer takes some adjusting but will get better etc it has no force fee, i donate with no issue and would with Claymore or pay  a yearly unlock fee .if this takes off like you want it to and does it right , I'll do the same. i have one big issue with being forced to pay , when i would buy it or donate rather then be told either pay it or don't use it.
Jump to: