Pages:
Author

Topic: Mining rig extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] - page 18. (Read 169362 times)

rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
Similar ones I've seen only have something like a .6A 5V rail, so just management connections I would think.
So it sounds like my best bet may actually be to get a "regular" PSU for the low voltage, and use these for the 12v bulk? I was hoping to avoid a mix-'n-match situation, but if I can't avoid that, then does anyone know of a good PSu that provides lots of +5v and +3.3v? Don't need much +12v, but it needs to be reliable.

Why do you need a "lot".  Most modern MB pull 90%+ of their current from the 12V rail.  3.3V was used a lot a decade ago when CPU run at 3.3V.  Today with memory, RAM, northbridge, etc all using different voltages (and all below 3.3V) the MB simply pulls enough current on 12V rail and does DC to DC conversion to voltages as needed.

Somewhat off topic hopefully someday we can scrap 3.3V and 5V and simply make the next ATX standard just 12V.  Nothing but 12V.
I dunno, to be honest. I guess I just like having everything connected. Who knows if some options cards use it, if this is in a different application.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
Similar ones I've seen only have something like a .6A 5V rail, so just management connections I would think.
So it sounds like my best bet may actually be to get a "regular" PSU for the low voltage, and use these for the 12v bulk? I was hoping to avoid a mix-'n-match situation, but if I can't avoid that, then does anyone know of a good PSu that provides lots of +5v and +3.3v? Don't need much +12v, but it needs to be reliable.

Just grab any good 'ol active PFC PSU, 450w would be plenty
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis

Why do you need a "lot".  Most modern MB pull 90%+ of their current from the 12V rail.  3.3V was used a lot a decade ago when CPU run at 3.3V.  Today with memory, RAM, northbridge, etc all using different voltages (and all below 3.3V) the MB simply pulls enough current on 12V rail and does DC to DC conversion to voltages as needed.

Somewhat off topic hopefully someday we can scrap 3.3V and 5V and simply make the next ATX standard just 12V.  Nothing but 12V.
rjk
1ngldh
legendary
rjk
1ngldh
That particular PSU only has 12V output :-)
I'm fairly sure I saw a 5v bus when I had it open.

Have you opened the PSU up yet?  Maybe tracing the connectors to where they go inside the PSU might help you determine what circuit turns it on.

Using connectivity tester or multi-meter might help with that (w/ unit unplugged to avoid destroying it).  Doubt you will be that lucky but seeing for example two pins connected to a relay or micro controller likely is the "clue" you need.
Yeah I've opened it up, but it is far more compact than most PSUs and tracing things is extremely difficult. Several heatsinks in the way that I am loathe to remove because it could cause thermal issues if done incorrectly.

Arent these just generic redundant PSU modules?
Pretty much.
legendary
Activity: 1162
DiabloMiner author
Arent these just generic redundant PSU modules?
legendary
What's the bounty for figuring out the wiring?
I didn't post one, but that is a good idea. I have already called Dell, but they refused to give me spec sheets or any such data for the PSUs. How much do you want? I'd be wanting more than just the pins to turn it on, since I intend to use all the outputs properly. That means 3.3v, 5v, -12v, pwrgood, enable, and so forth.

Add a pic of the label?
Here you go, I spent several hours googling it to no avail.

That particular PSU only has 12V output :-)
donator
Gerald Davis
Have you opened the PSU up yet?  Maybe tracing the connectors to where they go inside the PSU might help you determine what circuit turns it on.

Using connectivity tester or multi-meter might help with that (w/ unit unplugged to avoid destroying it).  Doubt you will be that lucky but seeing for example two pins connected to a relay or micro controller likely is the "clue" you need.
rjk
1ngldh
I didn't post one, but that is a good idea. I have already called Dell, but they refused to give me spec sheets or any such data for the PSUs. How much do you want? I'd be wanting more than just the pins to turn it on, since I intend to use all the outputs properly. That means 3.3v, 5v, -12v, pwrgood, enable, and so forth.

Do you know what server uses that PSU?  If so might find some info in the manual for the server.
Dell M1000e blade servers, with 6 PSUs per server. I've looked at its manual, but no go (other than telling me that they also offer a 2700 watt version in the same formfactor).
donator
Gerald Davis

Do you know what server uses that PSU?  If so might find some info in the manual for the server.
rjk
1ngldh

Add a pic of the label?
Here you go, I spent several hours googling it to no avail.

legendary

Add a pic of the label?
rjk
1ngldh
legendary
legendary
rjk
1ngldh
Shit son, that is expensive! I'd rather gang together a bunch of $100 PSUs, but the issue at the moment is that I don't know the correct pinout to connect to them with Sad
HP (EDIT sorry it's a Dell) 2360 watt blade server PSU.
Activity: 366
#RIP freemoney
Now that is a sexy wiring job.  watching

Activity: 86
Merit: 10
I don't know if you have a watt meter yet, but I came across this:

Basic kWh Meter 100A 120/240-volt, 3-wire, 60Hz EKM-25IDS - EKM Metering
$90

If the amperage is a concern they offer a universal design single phase/3 phase with a 5000A rating for $160

Hey nice find.  I have been looking for a hardwired meter which can do logging on 240V split phase (US) circuits.  Most tend to run $300 to $400 or more. 

D&T

I used this one:
http://www.efergy.us/index.php/usa/products-usa/electricity-monitors/elitev3-monitor-usa.html

Its wireless and just clamps around the main power legs.
Pages:
Jump to: