Pages:
Author

Topic: Mining , still worth it? - page 23. (Read 7308 times)

legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
March 13, 2018, 04:05:41 PM
Hey guys!

I just would like for someone to give me a little feedback on a graphics card topic.. new to the buis and would like to know how well would 200xs onda GTX 750 ti perform. A friend of mine who builds computers knows nothing about how graphics cards perform for mining so we are both proposing this question. we can get these cards bulk and want to invest in mining. would this card be ok? even if it does have a 5-10 h/s would that be sufficient?    thx greatly

GTX 750 ti cards are VERY low scale, and somewhat inefficient on most algorithms.
They're a tolerable Cryptonote miner though, ballpark 250 hash on commonly less than 50 and with good tuning possibly as low as 40 watts power usage.

The GPU in them has also been OUT OF PRODUCTION for well over a year, I wouldn't count on them staying available as they got replaced by the 1050.

Activity: 112
Merit: 0
March 13, 2018, 03:15:37 PM
Mining to me nowadays is if you want to hold onto a coin in hopes that it will one day go up in value and you can make some cash on it. If you think your going to mine and cash out daily then good luck you will take a long time to pay off your investment.

Nope.
There are 3 basic cases.
1) You have already equipment and you are still mining  for some small profit. Good for you.
2) You have already equipment and you are still mining for  losses (it is outdated or energy costs are too high in your neck of the woods - you name other reasons there could be a bunch of them). Time to think about swithing it off until better days.
You can buy crypto direct on exchange for fiat if you wanted after all.
3) You have no equipment and thinking about purchasing it now. It is obviously weird situation.

Activity: 57
March 13, 2018, 03:04:17 PM
Mining to me nowadays is if you want to hold onto a coin in hopes that it will one day go up in value and you can make some cash on it. If you think your going to mine and cash out daily then good luck you will take a long time to pay off your investment.
March 13, 2018, 02:56:13 PM
Some people mine because they believe in a coin and in that case it might be worth it in the long run.
e.g. it was worth it half a year ago when I mined ethereum and monero because they went up a lot.
If a coin I mine does not go up (I simply mine with a few GPUs) then it is often not worth it to me (in my specific situation).. but anyway, I needed some extra heating in winter Wink

It's not a matter of faith but they need some prudence here.
If you trully believe in crypto - better just buy it in exchange instead of purchasing a lot of expensive hardware and mining then at loss Smiley
Activity: 39
March 13, 2018, 02:41:26 PM
Some people mine because they believe in a coin and in that case it might be worth it in the long run.
e.g. it was worth it half a year ago when I mined ethereum and monero because they went up a lot.
If a coin I mine does not go up (I simply mine with a few GPUs) then it is often not worth it to me (in my specific situation).. but anyway, I needed some extra heating in winter Wink

March 13, 2018, 02:29:41 PM
Hey guys!

I just would like for someone to give me a little feedback on a graphics card topic.. new to the buis and would like to know how well would 200xs onda GTX 750 ti perform. A friend of mine who builds computers knows nothing about how graphics cards perform for mining so we are both proposing this question. we can get these cards bulk and want to invest in mining. would this card be ok? even if it does have a 5-10 h/s would that be sufficient?    thx greatly

Only if you had free electricity. In other case this mining  will bring you only losses now.
AMD 460 is twice better with the same power consumption but using it you can reach only zero profitability - spend all earning on electricity  bills.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
Borderless for the People, Frictionless for the Ba
March 13, 2018, 11:46:56 AM
When the market is not very good everybody likes to dig coins, actually also explained mining is very important.
Activity: 14
March 13, 2018, 08:55:14 AM
Hey guys!

I just would like for someone to give me a little feedback on a graphics card topic.. new to the buis and would like to know how well would 200xs onda GTX 750 ti perform. A friend of mine who builds computers knows nothing about how graphics cards perform for mining so we are both proposing this question. we can get these cards bulk and want to invest in mining. would this card be ok? even if it does have a 5-10 h/s would that be sufficient?    thx greatly
Activity: 96
March 13, 2018, 08:52:33 AM
It is profitable if you have couple of paid off rigs, entering now into mining with this gpu prices is insane,
Activity: 140
Merit: 10
Merit me or don't.
March 13, 2018, 08:52:03 AM
Have a rig? Then Yes it is profitable.
Don't have a rig? Then No, it could take you approximately 11-12 months to see you break even depending on electricity costs in your country.
Best bet is to buy coins you believe in if you are impatient for any returns.
Activity: 1
March 13, 2018, 08:42:15 AM
Seems definately not profitable now, indeed. But in the crypto world, anything can happen.

I have my (optimistic) theory about this, especially in regards to GPU mining (but it may apply to ASICs too).

If you see the stock values of the two major hardware producers in the last year, they have literally skyrocketed - and we all know why: without miners, that wouldn't have been possible. These guys know that very well (despite their "official" love for gamers only). It's recent news that according to the latest Jon Peddie Research (JPR) Report, "mining demand will most likely go down (together wih profits), but GPUs prices will not go down in the future.". Now I wonder, how can that be possible? If miners don't buy, who are the buyers that will keep GPU prices so high? I have my doubts about gamers, with all due respect to them (i am a gamer too)... Are they doing it so they can delay the release of new hardware and profit more on the already outdated one? Or why would prices not go down if the demand lowers due to miners not purchasing?

And here comes my theory: these guys are making tons of money selling hardware, but they can't keep "the show" going on in a sustainable way, for obvious reasons. Due to the lack of regulations on crypto though, one could maliciously think that "someone" (with lots of money) could artificially pump crypto values up for a certain period of time (and then down), in order to drive the purchase of mining hardware up accordingly, when possible. If there's going to be a sudden increase in the value of crypto (as it happened in the past, particularly in 2017), people (who will improvise themselves miners due to the high value of of crypto thinking they can get a quick buck) will "invest" and buy hardware again, thus indirectly raising the stock values and revenues of hardware producers. Mining becomes profitable for a short time, then crypto value "goes down", novice miners sell, and then the whole process rinse and repeats. Who gains at the end? Long time miners and hardware producers. Leaving people who just approached this world to pay the bill.

So is mining still worth it? I think mining is only worth it during the "right" periods, and these cycles repeat in time. If the above would be true, only crypto regulations could change the rules of the game... but until then...
Activity: 924
Merit: 15
March 13, 2018, 07:26:17 AM
is it profitable? No!!
Why? Because of this points

1st - gpu prices have sky-rocketed. RoI is about 426 days for a 6 gpus rig. That's too much. That's considering current prices. If this low bear trend continues, it will be worst.

2nd - Most of the people are mining ETH, but we are close to 100 million coins, the point where vitalik said he would apply casper, enabling a difficulty bomb to make it impossible to get ETH coins, and also migrating from PoW to PoS. It's unknown who will win money with that, and how will the system work.

3rd - the more people enter the pools, the less money you get due to the increase in difficulty. ETH mining difficulty is about 3,2. in the past (october 2017) Vitalik applied Byzantium reducing profit from 5 to 3 ETH coins and also reducing block length.

4th - The cost of electricity. It depends on your country. Mine (spain) is about 0,148€ (taxes included, which most people don't usually consider). In dollars would be about 0,18$ so big bill for me. and you have to condier this aspects.

So NO!!! mining is not worth nearly at all right now.
Activity: 33
March 13, 2018, 06:45:23 AM
I am living in a country where electricity costs 0.12 - 0.15 cents/kw and i stil make a profit. Electricity cost is somewhere around 30% of what i mine.
We have to take into consideration that these are hard times and you can still make a pay but beware...you do not a lot of capital to be profitable.

My electricity cost is higher than that. I am using old GPU, so I have to undervolt a lot to make it profitable.
Activity: 812
Merit: 124
March 13, 2018, 06:35:46 AM
I am living in a country where electricity costs 0.12 - 0.15 cents/kw and i stil make a profit. Electricity cost is somewhere around 30% of what i mine.
We have to take into consideration that these are hard times and you can still make a pay but beware...you do not a lot of capital to be profitable.
March 13, 2018, 06:16:34 AM
Mining still worth it ? Yes as long as it still produces why not, mining is one of the fastest ways to get a relatively large profit and can also make you rich, and the risk is smaller than we invest.
Activity: 46
March 13, 2018, 04:17:47 AM
Think it's just a waiting game at the moment, and let's hope that in a few months we will be back on track when the BTC sell off is done. In the meanwhile scooping up cheap gpus might be a good thing.
Activity: 140
Merit: 10
March 13, 2018, 03:59:53 AM
IMHO, altcoins still can make it especially the ones where u can mine quantity and bet on it to rise.

all the mainstream coin diff is rising ATH... but the price isn't. LOL

just go with altcoins with potential.
Activity: 1148
Merit: 132
March 13, 2018, 03:42:58 AM
I saw a GTX 1070 SC for $475 on Amazon yesterday.  I was thinking of jumping on it, but figured I could wait a little longer for the market to squeeze weak hands some more.

It's still not profitable. $350 will be good deal
In case market rebound of course Smiley

I wouldnt touch that with even a credit card right now.  Just wait a few more months and there will be lots of people jumping ship and selling off their GPU's.  Flooding the market, causing prices to drop like a rock.  Ill se you all on ebay....bidding against you.

Yep, thats it.  And also manufacturers have a huge glut of supply. I realize it when NVidia representative said gotta sell one card in one hands pair month ago.
That was the bell Smiley
70 k per eth jeez you are kidding me , even 5k or 2k eth brings us back to 2017 profits
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011
March 13, 2018, 03:18:00 AM

You are correct in that it is still somewhat profitable, but as I said it will not be the same going forward as it has been during the past 12-18 months.

The run-up in coin prices helped to mask the corresponding run-up in network difficulties for nearly all coins.

The run-up in coin prices CAUSED the run-up in network difficulties - with some delay as it takes time to aquire parts and get systems built.

That period of delay is when profitability surged - but at this point network hashrates are getting pretty close to caught up with the prices, especially with the price DROPS the last month and change having slightly exceeded the "January 2018" surge for most coins.

I would argue that the mining difficulty was going up all along, but no one is arguing that the run-up in coin prices did not massively accelerate this process.

That is the fine detail everyone overlooks now, is that they assume the difficulty will eventually start to fall in order to match the lower coin price. It may, but there will be a long lag time as there are too many people expecting this to be a temporary pullback before the good times are back. I don't think reality is going to set in for most people until they get a couple of months of break-even profits, meaning mining revenue == electricity costs, or even experience a slight loss.

There are now too many large players who no doubt are getting the lowest electrical prices they can find who will continue growing until the break-even is just about at neutral. This will keep pressure on the difficulty from going down, and if the ETH ASIC rumors are true then look out as all GPU coins will suffer the fallout. So if you have access to cheap power you can probably ride out the dry times ahead, but I think anyone paying much more than a couple of cents/kwh for power is going to be driven out within the next 12 months..
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
March 13, 2018, 02:42:26 AM

You are correct in that it is still somewhat profitable, but as I said it will not be the same going forward as it has been during the past 12-18 months.

The run-up in coin prices helped to mask the corresponding run-up in network difficulties for nearly all coins.

The run-up in coin prices CAUSED the run-up in network difficulties - with some delay as it takes time to aquire parts and get systems built.

That period of delay is when profitability surged - but at this point network hashrates are getting pretty close to caught up with the prices, especially with the price DROPS the last month and change having slightly exceeded the "January 2018" surge for most coins.

Pages:
Jump to: