Pages:
Author

Topic: Monero Support - page 26. (Read 82975 times)

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
Still wild and free
August 05, 2015, 02:59:40 AM
This git clone step (and then make) does NOT want sudo, only apt-get commands do.
Activity: 770
Merit: 504
August 05, 2015, 02:57:12 AM
Hmm, it says the error is opening the file "for writing"

That sounds like a permission problem or less likely disk full.

Do you try to do some of this stuff as root or another user?

Try "rm -rf build" to delete the build directory and start over (assuming you don't have any wallet files in there)

Yeah, I just did this.  I sudo-deleted the build folder, and tried to reconstruct it (same error).  

I then backed out of the entire directory, deleted that, and redownloaded it with

and tried re-making it, and still the same error.  

I only have one user account on this install, which is me with an administrator type account.  I guess the only piece of information at all relevant to my install is that I chose the encryption option and encrypted my operating system with a tough password.  

Sorry it's being so frustrating.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
Still wild and free
August 05, 2015, 02:55:31 AM
Try:

chown -R : ~/Monero/bitmonero/

Close your console if you never did after latest installations (env variables messed up?), open new one. Then:

make clean
make
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
August 05, 2015, 02:43:58 AM
Hmm, it says the error is opening the file "for writing"

That sounds like a permission problem or less likely disk full.

Do you try to do some of this stuff as root or another user?

Try "rm -rf build" to delete the build directory and start over (assuming you don't have any wallet files in there)

August 05, 2015, 02:42:33 AM
I also tried

sudo apt-get install gcc

sudo apt-get install g++

and was told that they were already installed and up to date.
August 05, 2015, 02:33:33 AM

EDIT: maybe you don't have the C++ modules installed for gcc?

I usually install build-essential, which pulls in all the compiler stuff needed.

I just installed this: http://community.linuxmint.com/software/view/build-essential
which sadly did not fix the problem.  Attempting to compile still gives the same mega-error. 

Let me google some stuff about installing c++ modules prior to trying to compile? 

Is it possible that there's some basic n00b step I haven't done?  Remember, I've done nothing but what I said.  Fresh OS install, set up a firewall, added a wireless network, and started playing around with terminal.
August 05, 2015, 02:28:47 AM

I usually install build-essential, which pulls in all the compiler stuff needed.

Ummmm, like I said,

I'll go Google how to install those.  Thanks for the suggestion.
August 05, 2015, 02:26:15 AM
ARE YOU ROOT?

No I just didn't mention the usual sudo

I'm not sure what is causing the "Internal CMake error"

Maybe that's something someone else has seen before, I have not.

Ok, well thanks for your help.  If anyone is curious it's a new compy, fresh install of Linux Mint 17.2, and after getting the internet up and running I went to the terminal and typed and executed all of the following commands, in this order: 

sudo apt-get install git gcc-4.9 cmake libunbound2 libevent-2.0-5 libgtest-dev libboost1.55-dev libboost-system1.55-dev libboost-filesystem1.55-dev libboost-thread1.55-dev libboost-date_time1.55-dev libboost-chrono1.55-dev libboost-regex1.55-dev libboost-serialization1.55-dev libboost-program_options1.55-dev libunbound-dev build-essential libssl-dev libdb++-dev

(Two of the libraries didn't install so i try them separately and proceed.)

sudo apt-get install libboost-program-options1.55-dev

sudo apt-get install libboost-date-time1.55-dev

cd bitmonero
make

ERROR 

(Ain't nobody got time for this.  Just fuapt-get install cmakeck me up Ubuntu.)

sudo apt-get install libboost1.55-all-dev 

make

ERROR 

(Apparently I need to install the thing that lets me make the thing.  Definitely *not* Linux masterracing right now) 

apt-get install cmake 

make

MOST RECENT ERROR 

It's a shame; I was looking forward to compiling and playing with the latest version.  Let me know if I can bug/newbie test anything else or help to try to understand why this is happening.

legendary
August 05, 2015, 02:12:56 AM
ARE YOU ROOT?

No I just didn't mention the usual sudo

I'm not sure what is causing the "Internal CMake error"

Maybe that's something someone else has seen before, I have not.

August 05, 2015, 01:59:49 AM
apt-get install cmake

Ok, I used that command (ARE YOU ROOT?) and had to use it with sudo (I'm assuming it's because I have a user password on).  Afterwards "make" gives me a massive text dump upon trying to compile. 

>make
mkdir -p build/release
cd build/release && cmake -D BUILD_TESTS=ON -D CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=release ../.. && make
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CMakeDetermineCompilerId.cmake:90 (file):
  file Internal CMake error when trying to open file:
  /home/user/Monero/bitmonero/build/release/CMakeFiles/2.8.12.2/CompilerIdCXX/CMakeCXXCompilerId.cpp
  for writing.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CMakeDetermineCompilerId.cmake:100 (CMAKE_DETERMINE_COMPILER_ID_WRITE)
  /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CMakeDetermineCompilerId.cmake:39 (CMAKE_DETERMINE_COMPILER_ID_BUILD)
  /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CMakeDetermineCXXCompiler.cmake:127 (CMAKE_DETERMINE_COMPILER_ID)
  CMakeLists.txt:33 (project)

CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CMakeDetermineCompilerId.cmake:90 (file):
  file Internal CMake error when trying to open file:
  /home/user/Monero/bitmonero/build/release/CMakeFiles/2.8.12.2/CompilerIdCXX/CMakeCXXCompilerId.cpp
  for writing.
  /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CMakeDetermineCompilerId.cmake:100 (CMAKE_DETERMINE_COMPILER_ID_WRITE)
  /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CMakeDetermineCompilerId.cmake:39 (CMAKE_DETERMINE_COMPILER_ID_BUILD)
  /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CMakeDetermineCXXCompiler.cmake:127 (CMAKE_DETERMINE_COMPILER_ID)
  CMakeLists.txt:33 (project)

-- The CXX compiler identification is unknown
CMake Error: your CXX compiler: "CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER-NOTFOUND" was not found.   Please set CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER to a valid compiler path or name.
-- Could not find DEVELOPER_LOCAL_TOOLS in env (not required)
-- BOOST_IGNORE_SYSTEM_PATHS defaults to OFF
-- Could not find DEVELOPER_LIBUNBOUND_OLD in env (not required)
-- Building for a 64-bit system
-- Could not find DATABASE in env (not required unless you want to change database type from default: lmdb)
-- Could not find Berkeley DB >= 4.1 (missing:  BERKELEY_DB_INCLUDE_DIR BERKELEY_DB_LIBRARIES)
-- BerkeleyDB not found and has been disabled.
-- Could not find miniupnp
-- Using miniupnpc from local source tree (/external/miniupnpc)
-- Looking for libunbound
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:108 (message):
  Could NOT find OpenSSL, try to set the path to OpenSSL root folder in the
  system variable OPENSSL_ROOT_DIR (missing: OPENSSL_LIBRARIES
  OPENSSL_INCLUDE_DIR)
  /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:315 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
  /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindOpenSSL.cmake:313 (find_package_handle_standard_args)
  external/unbound/CMakeLists.txt:33 (find_package)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/home/user/Monero/bitmonero/build/release/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
See also "/home/user/Monero/bitmonero/build/release/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log".
make: *** [release-all] Error 1

Any ideas what's going wrong?
legendary
August 05, 2015, 01:43:01 AM
apt-get install cmake
August 05, 2015, 01:38:54 AM
replace all the libboost1.55... crap in the apt-get install line with

libboost1.55-all-dev

EDIT: I see Melbustus pointed out the same thing above.

I don't know why the previous instructions specified a specific set of boost packages but that really makes things more fragile and isn't needed unless you are trying to fit the system onto the tiniest little device with minimal storage (and then good luck running a monero node). The default set of boost packages is fine.

Thanks for the response.  I've followed all the instructions and this is what I'm getting.  Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?  Running Linux Mint 17.2, a fresh install.  I followed all the commands to install all the packages previously.

legendary
August 05, 2015, 01:28:14 AM
replace all the libboost1.55... crap in the apt-get install line with

libboost1.55-all-dev

EDIT: I see Melbustus pointed out the same thing above.

I don't know why the previous instructions specified a specific set of boost packages but that really makes things more fragile and isn't needed unless you are trying to fit the system onto the tiniest little device with minimal storage (and then good luck running a monero node). The default set of boost packages is fine.
August 05, 2015, 01:14:15 AM
Wow, thanks for trying to make it easy for us newbies!  I'm running Mint Cinnamon 17.2 so it was a pleasant surprise to find your compiling instructions here without even having to ask. 

So starting out, I'm one million percent new to this, and tried the following command by Gingerale in my Linux Mint 17.2 terminal: 

sudo apt-get install git gcc-4.9 cmake libunbound2 libevent-2.0-5 libgtest-dev libboost1.55-dev libboost-system1.55-dev libboost-filesystem1.55-dev libboost-thread1.55-dev libboost-date_time1.55-dev libboost-chrono1.55-dev libboost-regex1.55-dev libboost-serialization1.55-dev libboost-program_options1.55-dev libunbound-dev build-essential libssl-dev libdb++-dev

All worked well, but four errors came up for the following two packages: 

E: Unable to locate package libboost-date_time1.55-dev
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'libboost-date_time1.55-dev'
E: Unable to locate package libboost-program_options1.55-dev 
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'libboost-program_options1.55-dev'   

So, being the resourceful and irresponsible person I am, I started throwing sudo commands around like Avarda Kevardas in a Harry Potter movie and stuff installed: 

sudo apt-get install libboost-program-options1.55-dev
sudo apt-get install libboost-date-time1.55-dev

Some stuff happened.  I hope it was supposed to happen. 

Moving on.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1004
August 03, 2015, 11:59:34 AM
Code:
sudo apt-get install git gcc-4.9 cmake libunbound2 libevent-2.0-5 libgtest-dev libboost1.55-dev

The bolded package didn't work for me on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (which is probably what most casual Linux users are going to be running).

In addition to your notes above, I had to do:
Code:
sudo apt-get install libboost1.55-all-dev
...before it would compile for me.

Working now, though!

Thanks for the detailed post, GingerAle.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
August 02, 2015, 09:13:34 AM
Activity: 856
Merit: 250
May 18, 2015, 09:11:50 AM
Just tried to install Monero on my Mac using the official "getting started" site. After some errors from homebrew (brew doctor solved it), the installation went as expected Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000
May 18, 2015, 09:08:58 AM
Thanks and yes I meant without. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 874
monero
May 18, 2015, 07:44:27 AM
So I have some Monero, on an exchange. Can I store them anywhere, apart from an exchange,  with downloading a wallet and the entire blockchain?

do you mean "without downloading..." ?

if so, https://mymonero.com/#/ should be what you're looking for.
legendary
Activity: 1190
May 18, 2015, 06:39:51 AM
So I have some Monero, on an exchange. Can I store them anywhere, apart from an exchange,  with downloading a wallet and the entire blockchain?
Pages:
Jump to: