Author

Topic: MtGox withdrawal delays [Gathering] - page 156. (Read 908613 times)

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
things you own end up owning you
February 10, 2014, 05:00:32 PM
Conclusion: Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind does not track changed transactions properly.  Changed transactions will show up as a new transaction, and I would need the  "new txid" thing to track those properly.  It is not only MtGox.  Services using bitcoind, like mine, may be vulnerable as well.
Hm, wonder if this explains why I've heard all other exchanges updating their systems as well. I believe this mutability issue is not as "insignificant" as the core dev team is attempting to convey.
It's because the Bitcoin cultist foundation wouldn't want to have people recognize that Bitcoin is imperfect and sell. Paid shills will do what paid shills do. Damage control.

mmmm, Blitz, you surprised me, I didn't expect this from you !!!  so you really think that Bitcoin core developers and the foundation are playing around ? and how can you stand for gox after all what they've done to their customers ?!! now Bitcoin is not perfect, and such perfect system doesnt not exist, but Mark blaming it on Bitcoin is just stupid !! I give them credit for bringing bitcoin to what it is at today, but this doesnt mean that this protects them from failure...

do you remember April 2013, the engine lag ? so bitcoin's fault ? and FIAT withdrawals ? Bitcoin's fault ? and their custom wallet and how it trace/write inquiries to the database ? bitcoin's fault as well ?
legendary
Merit: 1018
February 10, 2014, 04:51:44 PM
Sturle: I wonder if you are paid to take Gox's side on EVERYTHING or if your shilling is just a twisted way to protect your business which I assume relies on Gox.

But the more I think about it the more the latter doesn't make any sense, as its pretty obvious that the only way to protect your business was to move out from Gox months ago.
legendary
February 10, 2014, 04:46:52 PM
20:28 < sturles> Question: I have an autobuy system where I give each seller an unique address to transfer to when selling, and use a
                 -walletnotify script to trigger a price check when someone transfer coins to their address.  When the transaction

you are asking questions when you wrote the answer, you give each customer a unique address, so why are you afraid? you just wait for 3 confirmatons like the rest of the world and you are good to go. regarding your script that checks the price, I would check the price when I get the 3rd confirmation and not before, as easy as it can get.

I agree that this has to be fixed, but I just dont feel it is an issue that will cause the failure of the protocol !! if it worked for 5 years it will hold till the fix...
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
American1973
February 10, 2014, 04:42:33 PM
Services using bitcoind, like mine, may be vulnerable as well.
Or rather services using bitcoind programmed by clueless programmers like you, who accept transactions with zero confirmations.

Totally.  Nothing more useless than a [stupid or greedy or blackmailed] fucking programmer.

[EDIT TO FIX]
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
February 10, 2014, 04:39:48 PM
Services using bitcoind, like mine, may be vulnerable as well.
Or rather services using bitcoind programmed by clueless programmers like you, who accept transactions with zero confirmations.
N12
donator
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010
February 10, 2014, 04:31:59 PM
Conclusion: Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind does not track changed transactions properly.  Changed transactions will show up as a new transaction, and I would need the  "new txid" thing to track those properly.  It is not only MtGox.  Services using bitcoind, like mine, may be vulnerable as well.
Hm, wonder if this explains why I've heard all other exchanges updating their systems as well. I believe this mutability issue is not as "insignificant" as the core dev team is attempting to convey.
It's because the Bitcoin cultist foundation wouldn't want to have people recognize that Bitcoin is imperfect and sell. Paid shills will do what paid shills do. Damage control.
legendary
Merit: 1018
February 10, 2014, 04:24:56 PM

Seriously Sturle, WTF??

Bitcoin-qt/bitcoind vulnerable to what??? To 0 confirmations transactions?? Then YES, all services using a bitcoin implementation, reference or custom, ARE VULNERABLE TO DOUBLE SPENDING IF THEY ACCEPT 0-CONFIRMATION TRANSACTIONS. Wasn't that clear? For God's sake, on QT it reads "unconfirmed" until you have 6 confirmations, please don't tell me you did think that was for no reason.

About malleability: it's a known and documented issue, its been on the Wiki for months if not years. You are running a service based on bitcoind, so I WANT TO BELIEVE that you have read the Bitcoin wiki - it's not too long. If you did, you should know that transaction ID's CAN be changed by a malicious third party. The coins still go to the address they were supposed to, there's no way to "hack" bitcoin to steal those coins, but the transaction ID can be changed - and thus you do not base your automated processes on transaction IDs - full stop.

The blockchain is the tool you use, and until a transaction is bruried on the friggin' blockchain you just consider it unconfirmed. As it has always be.

legendary
February 10, 2014, 04:22:15 PM
I'm looking fwd to mining $2 coins, that way my wife can STFU about 'IT'S NOT JUST A HOBBY, YOU ARE MAKING MONEY'
that will put her in her place  Grin

dear fellow friend,

i do feel with you. i also have a terror queen at home.
can we sell them for BTC?
anyone?

edit: and yes, gox sucks...:/ lost about 4k...

this make me feel good about my wife, when I first knew about bitcoin I wasn't sure about the whole thing but I wanted to studie it more and give it a try and she pushed me to do it... she never finished her logistic engineer's degree, but now she is writing her diploma about bitcoin, yes it is never too late, a house wife with 3 kids and still enthusiastic about Bitcoin, how cool is that ?  Wink
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
February 10, 2014, 04:19:22 PM
2) One of the retarded devs fucked up bitcoin with a transaction handling change some time in the last ... year or 2?
I would be VERY surprised if Satoshi made that mistake in the original design.
He did.  And bitcoin-qt is affected as well.  E.g. here and more about this problem here.

Anyway, TL;DR version of the press release is:
We have discussed this solution with the Bitcoin core developers and will allow Bitcoin withdrawals again once [a workaround involving a different hash for transaction tracking purposes] has been approved and standardized.

No bug has to be fixed, nothing has to be implemented by anyone else yet, they just want a standard general solution to be approved before implementing this solution and resuming withdrawals.

LOL yeah I guess then that is why all of the other exchanges are NOT having this same problem with BTC withdrawals now huh?

Keep trying to justify MTGOX's inability to run their exchange in a manner to be considered an actual exchange.

You've got the core developers calling out Mark and Gox on their bullshit.

Just because bitcoin transaction malleability is an issue does not mean that a temporary fix hasn't been implemented to handle and check for TX id changes after they been initiated. Even Gavin A. and Jeff Garzik will attest to this.

http://www.coindesk.com/gavin-andresen-jeff-garzik-mt-gox-wrong-bitcoin-isnt-broken/

Jeff Garzik:
The #bitcoin protocol and network are just fine today.  Let's not over-react about a technical issue in one custom implementation.

“There are certain security practices that sites like Mt. Gox need to follow. Most notably, customer support staff and related software must not assume that transaction IDs are unchangeable, prior to being confirmed in the block chain.

“Confirmation in the block chain is bitcoin’s core security mechanism.”

This has now come down to a finger pointing of who is to really blame in all of this. Even if I knew nothing technical about how the bitcoin code works and just looked at the mere reputation MTGOX has had compared to both Gavin and Jeff's reputation I would be less inclined to believe MTGOX and more so the core developers.

It is public knowledge that MTGOX uses a custom implementation of the bitcoin protocol. This alone speaks volumes on whose responsibility it is to keep the code well tested and managed to avoid issues like they have been supposedly having.

The core developers have no reason to lie about this as they are not the ones with customers they have to answer to like MTGOX has.
Activity: 21
Merit: 0
February 10, 2014, 04:13:30 PM
I'm looking fwd to mining $2 coins, that way my wife can STFU about 'IT'S NOT JUST A HOBBY, YOU ARE MAKING MONEY'
that will put her in her place  Grin

dear fellow friend,

i do feel with you. i also have a terror queen at home.
can we sell them for BTC?
anyone?

edit: and yes, gox sucks...:/ lost about 4k...
American1973
February 10, 2014, 04:13:24 PM
Cryptocoin is like automobile at first...  Different fuels different whatnots, but all with the same purpose.

Indeed one could take a journey in different vehicles, two cars, one plane, one boat, then destination.  Similarly, if BTC blockchain or any other cryptocoin fails to "get you there", then yes, it might lose support and not be used.

However, it is reasonable to understand that every blockchain has a correlated app-miner-transaction-wallet .exe file which runs and is updated, etc.  So, just as cars (vehicles for humans) tend to be diverse yet all part of a set of tool with the same purpose, so too, cryptocoin has a shared purpose (capital flight and honest money which cannot be debauched as metals are) and so all coins will serve a similar purpose.  Part of the purpose of cryptocoin, is to create more simple security, so this is part of the process which ALL are now investing time, money, and face, into.
Activity: 280
February 10, 2014, 04:07:02 PM
Conclusion: Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind does not track changed transactions properly.  Changed transactions will show up as a new transaction, and I would need the  "new txid" thing to track those properly.  It is not only MtGox.  Services using bitcoind, like mine, may be vulnerable as well.
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
February 10, 2014, 04:02:59 PM
2) One of the retarded devs fucked up bitcoin with a transaction handling change some time in the last ... year or 2?
I would be VERY surprised if Satoshi made that mistake in the original design.
He did.  And bitcoin-qt is affected as well.  E.g. here and more about this problem here.

Anyway, TL;DR version of the press release is:
We have discussed this solution with the Bitcoin core developers and will allow Bitcoin withdrawals again once [a workaround involving a different hash for transaction tracking purposes] has been approved and standardized.

No bug has to be fixed, nothing has to be implemented by anyone else yet, they just want a standard general solution to be approved before implementing this solution and resuming withdrawals.
OK, after looking around a bit ...
There are indeed a number of items in a transaction that you can mess with and produce the same transaction with different tx hash without owning the inputs or changing the outputs.
... and looking at it a little more closely I wonder if you are actually able to destroy a transaction by adding to the script in such a manner that the recipient won't be able to receive the coins? ... ... ... interesting ... ... ...
legendary
Activity: 1437
Merit: 1002
https://bitmynt.no
February 10, 2014, 04:00:28 PM
http://www.coindesk.com/gavin-andresen-jeff-garzik-mt-gox-wrong-bitcoin-isnt-broken/

Garzik told CoinDesk: “There are certain security practices that sites like Mt. Gox need to follow. Most notably, customer support staff and related software must not assume that transaction IDs are unchangeable, prior to being confirmed in the block chain.

Gavin said in the same article:
Quote from: CoinDesk
Transactions are always tracked properly by the Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind software

But he and others says different on IRC. (Some confusion about timestamps (which I don't use) redacted – too long already.):
Quote from: From #bitcoin-dev
20:28 < sturles> Question: I have an autobuy system where I give each seller an unique address to transfer to when selling, and use a
                 -walletnotify script to trigger a price check when someone transfer coins to their address.  When the transaction
                 confirms, it will write details to a file I send to the bank to do payments.
20:28 < sturles> How will this work if a tx is changed?
20:29 < sturles> Will bitcoind be able to track the changed confirmed transaction and connect it to the unconfirmed one I received?
20:29 < sturles> Otherwise the seller will get the wrong price.
20:29 < sturles> Just noticed Gavin's claim that "Transactions are always tracked properly by the Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind software".
20:29 < sturles> If that is correct, I have nothing to worry about.
20:30 < Luke-Jr> A new txid is treated as a separate transaction
20:31 < sturles> This is what I feared.  So it is not strictly true that bitcoind will track those transactions properly.
20:31 < Luke-Jr> depends on what one means by "properly" I suppose
20:33 < sturles> I use walletnotify to notify a script, and the script checks the current price.  It notes the time as well, but my current
                 time.
20:33 < gavinandresen> sturles: if you are doing this at zero confirmations, then that is a very bad idea.
20:33 < Luke-Jr> sturles: ok, same thing in this case
20:34 < Luke-Jr> gavinandresen: only the price is determined by receive time, in his example
20:34 < gavinandresen> sturles: if you are only transferring money when the transaction has more than one confirmation, then no
                       worries
20:34 < Luke-Jr> I presume he waits for it to confirm before actually sending
20:34 < sturles> I check the price at zero confirmations, and write to a file which is going to the bank when the transaction is confirmed.
20:34 < sturles> I do not pay out at zero confirmations.
20:35 < Luke-Jr> sturles: for a quick fix, I suggest applying sipa's patch and matching up the "new txid" thing
20:35 < sturles> Users want to get as close to the current price as possible.  
20:35 < Luke-Jr> sturles: be aware your system can be gamed though..
20:35 < Luke-Jr> sturles: I send a transaction that won't confirm on its own; if price drops, I double-spend. if it goes up, I confirm it
20:36 < Luke-Jr> or vice-versa might actually be the bad case..
20:36 < sturles> Wouldn't this be possible with the payment protocol as well?
20:36 < gavinandresen> If the "you" is a mining pool, then you can do this even if transactions were immutable.
20:36 < Luke-Jr> sure, that's the risk of doing 0 confirm for price
20:36 < gavinandresen> (even if transaction IDs were immutable, I mean)
20:36 < Apocalyptic> indeed
20:37 < Luke-Jr> gavinandresen: for example, CPFP could make a transaction mined only when a user decides
20:37 < sturles> I will log the unconfirmed tx and can ban users who try double spending tricks.  No problem really.
20:38 < Luke-Jr> sounds like a plan to me
20:38 < sturles> So I will need sipa's patch to track changed transactions properly in my case?
20:39 < Luke-Jr> that will protect your customers from third parties, yes
20:39 < Luke-Jr> it will still break if your users do CoinJoins, but that's less urgent I guess
20:39 < gavinandresen> sturles: see also:  https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/3354
20:40 < sturles> I still do manual checks before anything is going to the bank, and the system will warn strongly if the balances don't match
                 up (e.g. confirmed transaction reversal).
20:42 < Luke-Jr> it would probably be best if B-Qt in the future tracked when TxnA is replaced by TxnB and treated them as the same in a UI
                 sense
20:42 < Luke-Jr> but that's a lot of coding/review/etc

American1973
February 10, 2014, 03:59:38 PM
I guess I need a little help understanding what to me seems obvious.

Why doesn't Gox just invest in some mining hardware dedicated exclusively to confirming only Gox withdrawals.  It seems to me that they could queue up all Gox withdrawals for processing to this new Gox miner, which when completed, the withdrawal transactions would show up in the blockchain the first time with one confirmation already in place.

Plus they'd get to keep all those pesky mining fees they keep deducting.... assuming they're not already doing this.

What am I missing here?

Time of transactions +
time of proper security [runprogram: RESPECTTHEBLOCKCHAIN]
= too long for traders on cocaine.
Activity: 4
Merit: 0
February 10, 2014, 03:53:47 PM
I guess I need a little help understanding what to me seems obvious.

Why doesn't Gox just invest in some mining hardware dedicated exclusively to confirming only Gox withdrawals.  It seems to me that they could queue up all Gox withdrawals for processing to this new Gox miner, which when completed, the withdrawal transactions would show up in the blockchain the first time with one confirmation already in place.

Plus they'd get to keep all those pesky mining fees they keep deducting.... assuming they're not already doing this.

What am I missing here?

American1973
February 10, 2014, 03:44:18 PM
So is everything on gox stuck forever ?

Only if the ship goes down, which wouldn't surprise me.

Garzik told CoinDesk: “There are certain security practices that sites like Mt. Gox need to follow. Most notably, customer support staff and related software must not assume that transaction IDs are unchangeable, prior to being confirmed in the block chain.

I hope those two get this tool kicked out the Foundation.

Well, having been a series 7 broker, I know it's easy for brokers to screw up and/or be dishonest.  I left the biz after 6 mos, couldn't stand the smell of thieves.

So, any coin exchange who tries to make customers happy by violating the security rules, well, that's common IT managment practice, so why the surprise?  All IT industry is swiss cheese crap sold to tards for the last 10 years+.  Oh, after leaving stockbroking I became an IT expert.  In 2003 I was published in a top American science rag saying that their article on cloud computing was 100% stupid shit, and now 10 years later S. Wozniak finally understands how stupid he and all his peers actually are.

My point is: Every IT manager is hired to break security rules because the top is populated with low-IQ rich kid idiots who think their orders can bend the rules of logic --no you dumb rich shits, IT sec cannot be sacrificed on your whim.  -- Sincerely, an IT temp worker.

BTW, Edward Snowden isn't about spies, its about how shitty management of IT industry means temp work is the new normal.  It causes: shitty tech.  
global moderator
Activity: 3934
Merit: 2676
Join the world-leading crypto sportsbook NOW!
February 10, 2014, 03:24:35 PM
So is everything on gox stuck forever ?

Only if the ship goes down, which wouldn't surprise me.

I hope those two get this tool kicked out the Foundation.
American1973
February 10, 2014, 02:46:14 PM

legendary
Activity: 889
Merit: 1000
February 10, 2014, 02:27:13 PM
@gmaxwell any ETA on things will be legitmatly fixed?
dadfoundmy_: talk to mtgox.
  Because there isn't anything to give an ETA on elsewhere.

Gox is just buying time. When Mark was pressed on irc to implement a quick fix/ temporary solution to process btc withdrawals , he said he wants the fix to be standard on bitcoin client so he doesn't have to re-code again. Wow, a lazy Schmuck or big liar!

yeah why would he want to help his customers who have had their withdrawls stuck for weeks.  Better to let people wait for weeks and weeks more while bitcoin tanks  after already paying 25 percent markup fat pos.

lol. Why would he care now? He's the captain of a sinking ship.

True its irelevant just contemplating his thought process if he actually wasn't running a bankrupted company.

It just goes to show also that it would be an easy fix to provide alternative means to withdrawls to allow customers access to money but proves because of Serpeles unwillingness to do this they are indeed bankrupt and don't have the money.

Igor is long ignored and biggest troll I have ever seen he has not posted one comment of any worth or substance just taking delight in other peoples misfortunes .
Jump to: