Author

Topic: MtGox withdrawal delays [Gathering] - page 260. (Read 908613 times)

legendary
Activity: 1437
Merit: 1002
https://bitmynt.no
October 09, 2013, 06:15:19 PM
It has long been known that small amounts are processed a whole lot faster than big amounts.
That just screams "they're broke".
No, the only logical explanation has been posted in this thread about 20 times.  They have a daily qouta in their bank, a specific daily amount, in outgoing SEPA transfers.  Instead of letting a portion of their quota be unused every day, they fill the holes with small amounts when they can no longer fit the next transfer in queue.  If the next transfer in queue is 7k EUR, and they only have 5k left on their daily quota, they start grabbing smaller transfers from the queue until the quota until it is completely filled.  This is a sign of MtGox trying to pay as much as possible, which they wouldn't do if they were broke.  (And please read previous postings before asking about the quota – the subject has been thoroughly discussed, someone called their bank and got it from them as well, etc.)
Activity: 164
Merit: 100
Gone for a minute now back again
October 09, 2013, 06:11:41 PM
Note that my order was twice slower (both for MtGox and Bitstamp) than in July.

So you got €307 out in a timely fashion? I'm curious as to why you'd even bother sending such a "huge" amount around in the first place. Confirm that 10k EUR or at least something larger than 1k EUR comes after 8 work days and you'll get my attention.
Because I needed some money and Bitcoin is the most "liquid" of the "investments" that I own? (And that's actually 581.34€ since I used both exchanges.)
Sorry, I don't expect to be needing such a big sum anytime soon and can't be bothered to transfer it back-and-forth just for experiment's sake...
legendary
Activity: 1204
October 09, 2013, 06:06:33 PM
It has long been known that small amounts are processed a whole lot faster than big amounts.
That just screams "they're broke".
legendary
October 09, 2013, 05:47:25 PM
I know.  This is their biggest shortcoming.  They should really do something about it.  Now there is an extra conversion fee of 0.4% to deposit or withdraw EUR, and in addition to this there is the uncertainty of the USD value. :-(
I did not know the fee was 0.4%, I only take what goes out in SEK and what I get in USD and calculate the real/efficient rate i get. And it's pretty much always +0.1 on the USD/SEK rate.
If you transfer 10 EUR to Bitstamp right now, you get 13.508, and if you withdraw 13.508 USD you get 9.9192 EUR according to the rates published in their API.  I.e. just over 0.4% spread.  My bank has half this spread for currency conversion in international or SEPA wires.  (Some banks, e.g. Scandiabanken have terrible currency conversion rates.  Beware!)  I have an EUR denominated account as well to avoid the currency conversion when trading in EUR.  E.g. when doing arbitrage from MtGox.

BitStamp :
Withdrawn (SEPA) $376.37 on Sept. 29, 2013, 10:23 a.m., received 276,82€ at my bank on 02/10/2013. (4 work days)

MtGox :
Withdrawn (SEPA) 307.60000 € on 2013/09/29 10:23:21, received 304,52€ at my bank on 08/10/2013 (through Mt. Gox Poland Inc.). (8 work days)
This can not be true. I e-mailed them today asking for when they would process my withdrawal and they said I have to wait at least another 3 weeks. How is it possible that you are paid within 8 work days while everyone else has to wait 30+ business days?
Actually, it can be true. It has long been known that small amounts are processed a whole lot faster than big amounts.

So you got €307 out in a timely fashion? I'm curious as to why you'd even bother sending such a "huge" amount around in the first place. Confirm that 10k EUR or at least something larger than 1k EUR comes after 8 work days and you'll get my attention.
When I asked for the latest SEPA delay numbers today, I was told I couldn't get them until Monday because of ... good news.  I don't know what the good news are, but expect them to be about withdrawals.  I didn't get an exact date for the news to be released either.  As far as I understand they are about to take the very last step to something big, and have delayed other news and upgrades until this is finished.  People aren't going to regard any news as positive unless they deliver faster withdrawals, so there is no point in releasing any until this problem is fixed.
Activity: 153
October 09, 2013, 04:49:48 PM

That's a great start. An area chart that showed how the fractions have changed over time would mean we could have meaningful conversations about trends.

Perhaps this helps.

http://data.bitcoinity.org/#caaabbdgba
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1013
October 09, 2013, 04:09:15 PM

That's a great start. An area chart that showed how the fractions have changed over time would mean we could have meaningful conversations about trends.
Activity: 540
Merit: 500
October 09, 2013, 03:39:44 PM
BitStamp :
Withdrawn (SEPA) $376.37 on Sept. 29, 2013, 10:23 a.m., received 276,82€ at my bank on 02/10/2013. (4 work days)

MtGox :
Withdrawn (SEPA) 307.60000 € on 2013/09/29 10:23:21, received 304,52€ at my bank on 08/10/2013 (through Mt. Gox Poland Inc.). (8 work days)

This can not be true. I e-mailed them today asking for when they would process my withdrawal and they said I have to wait at least another 3 weeks. How is it possible that you are paid within 8 work days while everyone else has to wait 30+ business days?
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1001
Energy is Wealth
October 09, 2013, 03:30:09 PM
http://bitcoinity.org/markets/list?currency=USD&span=24h shows you the total USD volume at all exchanges (well, all the ones Bitcoinity counts, anyway).

What are you missing?
Pie charts and area graphs.
Activity: 501
October 09, 2013, 03:22:28 PM
No, I never wrote that.  I do not think Bitstamp should report in any other way.  Just that people should keep this in mind when comparing volumes.  Bitstamp's USD volume is artificuially inflated by the way the exchange works, while MtGox report actual volume in all currencies separately.

To be fair, MtGox volume is somewhat artificially inflated by customers converting their USD to EUR or JPY via BTC in order to be able to withdraw the fiat. Many people are stuck at Gox with GoxUSD because it seemed like a good idea at the time (for example I believed USD to be a more stable currency than EUR, which is why I sold my BTC for USD instead of EUR).
legendary
October 09, 2013, 03:15:57 PM
2. You are comparing apples and bicycles.  On some exchanges all the volume is counted as USD.  MtGox has a working multi-currency exchange.  This is their main feature.  If you deposit EUR and buy or sell and withdraw EUR, the trade will be reported as EUR.  Some other exchanges (noteably Bitstamp) will report this as USD.
2. I did not know Bitstamp aggregated all currencies and quoted them as dollar exchange volumes,  I though they just traded dollars again apologies.
Sturle, I respect your opinion on a lot of things even though I disagree with it but not on this one. My humble opinion is that this statement is just utterly stupid.

Bitstamp has the USD/BTC currency pair. That's it. You can only trade USD against BTC there.
I know.  This is their biggest shortcoming.  They should really do something about it.  Now there is an extra conversion fee of 0.4% to deposit or withdraw EUR, and in addition to this there is the uncertainty of the USD value. :-(

This is why all their volume is obviously counted as USD.[/b] This also means that Bitstamp comes out on top if we compare Bitstamp's USD volume with MtGox's USD volume right now (16,808 BTC traded in USD at Bitstamp today, 9,314 at MtGox).
Yes, but I am sure you understand this is a meaningless comparision.  You compare one exchanges total volume to another exchange's volume in one single currency.  This is extra pointless now that people are getting out of USD for obvious reasons.

What Sturle is trying to argue is this:

If you deposit EUR to Bitstamp then that money is automatically converted to USD. It is therefore, correctly, counted as USD when you trade the USD now in your Bitstamp account for Bitcoins. Sturle seems to think that Bitstamp should report USD which has previously been EUR as EUR because that somehow makes sense to him. I think that would make zero sense.
No, I never wrote that.  I do not think Bitstamp should report in any other way.  Just that people should keep this in mind when comparing volumes.  Bitstamp's USD volume is artificuially inflated by the way the exchange works, while MtGox report actual volume in all currencies separately.

I have a bank account in Sweden. It's got SEK in it. My deposits to Bitstamp goes like this: I enter the amount of EUR I want to send using SEPA. The SEK in my account is then converted to EUR and sent to Bitstamp. Bitstamp then converts it to USD and deposits it in my account at Bitstamp. So what is in my Bitstamp account when my funds arrive? SEK? EUR? No, it's USD that ends up in my account. I can then send that USD out with an international wire or request a SEPA transfer and have that USD converted to EUR and then SEK. (if anyone is wondering, sending SEK ends up costing me 0.1 on the USD/SEK rate, if USD/SEK is 6.47 then I'd end up with an efficient rate at 6.57 and that's what I'd consider the cost/rate of my USD in my spreadsheet).
Yep.  Bitstamp's failure to implement proper multi-currency trading is quite expensive for their customers.  (The SEK/EUR conversion rate you get in your bank is bad, btw.  I'm sure you can find a cheaper one.)  And you are forced to keep your assets in USD or BTC, and have nowhere to run if you expect BTC to fall and USD to drop heavily on Monday morning.  Your only rescue is to buy BTC and transfer your BTC to MtGox to sell for another currency.

The way I see it: If you send something that ends up as USD in your Bitstamp account then USD is what you have in your Bitstamp account and it is not at all relevant if this money was in the form of JPY, SEK, EUR, NOK, gold, rocks or leaves before it ended up as USD. USD is what you have at Bitstamp and USD is what you trade at Bitstamp and USD volume is what it will and will be counted as.
Of course.  But I hope you agree that comparing USD volume on Bitstamp with the USD volume of an exchange where you can trade BTC against multiple currencies is completely meaningless.  You are comparing total volume with an arbitrary share of the total volume.  Comparing Bitstamp USD volume with MtGox USD volume is equivalent with comparing Bitstamp USD volume with MtGox JPY volume or MtGox SEK volume.
October 09, 2013, 03:12:58 PM
I would say so, yes. MtGox has now been at 28% for three days btw. (And that's not even including all exchanges.)

http://bitcoinity.org/markets/list?currency=ALL&span=3d
Interresting – if you chose any other time period, MtGox comes out on top.  And it is closer to 29% than 28%.  It doesn't include all currencies on MtGox either, but the volume in the missing currencies is so low I doubt it matters.

I apologize for finding this specific statistic interesting, Sturle  Embarrassed
legendary
October 09, 2013, 02:52:50 PM
I would say so, yes. MtGox has now been at 28% for three days btw. (And that's not even including all exchanges.)

Interresting – if you chose any other time period, MtGox comes out on top.  And it is closer to 29% than 28%.  It doesn't include all currencies on MtGox either, but the volume in the missing currencies is so low I doubt it matters.
Activity: 501
October 09, 2013, 02:18:20 PM
BitStamp :

MtGox :

Whaat? This would mean Gox is almost up to date regarding below-threshold SEPA withdrawals. (Or do they pick the ones that fill their quota optimally rather than process the oldest first?)
Activity: 164
Gone for a minute now back again
October 09, 2013, 01:57:09 PM
BitStamp :

MtGox :

Previously :
BitStamp :
Withdrawn (SEPA) $523.13 on July 25, 2013, 8:59 p.m., received 391,48€ at my bank on 29/07/2013. (2 work days)

MtGox :
Withdrawn (SEPA) 410.02€ on 2013/07/25 20:59:09, received 405,92€ at my bank on 31/07/2013 (through Mt. Gox Poland Inc.). (4 work days)
legendary
October 09, 2013, 10:53:13 AM
http://bitcoinity.org/markets/list?currency=USD&span=24h shows you the total USD volume at all exchanges (well, all the ones Bitcoinity counts, anyway).

What are you missing?
Pie charts and area graphs.
legendary
October 09, 2013, 10:35:01 AM
This is getting ridiculous.

Why don't any of these exchange volume comparison sites make a simple, easy to read graph that shows total BTC exchanged per exchange?

Is it not as simple as summing the various currency pairs for those exchanges which support multiple currencies?
Activity: 6
Merit: 0
October 09, 2013, 04:10:15 AM
Alpaca Bob noted:

"A lot of people who want out of Gox buy bitcoin and move that to other exchanges to cash out. This artificially drives the price up on Gox."

I think this is probably true. I wonder if in turn that was driven by issues with MtGOX recent bank and/or Dwolla account issues. Perhaps after a few things resolve the exchanges will come to closer agreement.

This is just a bit of speculation based on my very limited experience. Still excited to see this economic experiment unfold, it could certainly be bigger still in the future!

Best wishes for everyones success!
October 09, 2013, 03:09:37 AM
There is something I don't get, people who buy bitcoins now, would not do so on mtgox for obvious reason, higher price. So on mtgox it is only people selling btc for a slow withdrawal. (except daytraders, people with fiat on mtgox buying bitcoins to withdraw etc). So shouldn't this mean that mtgox and bitstamp would get closer and closer since no new fiat should enter mtgox? Eventually there should be little fiat left on mtgox even if the withdrawals are slow.  I don't get why the spread keeps being so high for so long.

Anyone know?

A lot of people who want out of Gox buy bitcoin and move that to other exchanges to cash out. This artificially drives the price up on Gox.

(And there's also people who are willing to take the risk and do it the other way round for arbitrage. Apparently the market decided that arbitrage should cost about 10%.)

Quote from: leemar
But is it statistically significant Wink

Activity: 882
Merit: 501
Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong
October 08, 2013, 11:37:42 PM
Looks like Gox is back on track for domestic yen withdrawals.   My latest ones completed in 2 days.

Glad to hear at least something's on track.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1001
Energy is Wealth
October 08, 2013, 05:11:17 PM
Anyone knows the fees associated with withdrawing money for gox to a citi or BoA account? I see 2000 yen, so about U$S20 but is there any other fee? The FAQ states "Additional fees may be charged by the receiving bank or an intermediate bank." Clear as mud uh?
Anyone received an international wire transfer from Gox lately? Any % based fees?
International you can forget about. A "expedited" or "emergency" withdrawal takes between 2 weeks and 4 weeks and cost 5%
Jump to: