Author

Topic: MtGox withdrawal delays [Gathering] - page 256. (Read 908613 times)

Activity: 1162
Merit: 500
October 13, 2013, 12:17:10 PM
They mystery to me is who is putting fiat in given that it is a relatively shitty place to buy if price is what one cares about?

That's the mother of all questions!

And I don't think it's many people that put fiat in. Hence the long withdrawal delays.

Why pay 144USD at MtGox for a Bitcoin when I can get it for 128USD at Bitstamp?
legendary
Activity: 4690
Merit: 1276
October 13, 2013, 12:09:39 PM
If, for reasons which remain mysterious to me, there is a comfortable and stable gap between Mt. Gox and others, and if one has a relationship with Mt. Gox which allows the kind of turn-around needed to succeed at arbitrage, then it makes the most sense to try to just keep the happy state of affairs chugging along.  A 'stampede' at Mt. Gox would probably spell it's flame-out and thus the end to the milking the arbitrage.
There is always the possibility that Mt. Gox itself, or someone closely associated with it who can get USD out, is exploiting the arbitrage opportunity.

Ha, ya, they could probably resolve any solvency problems they may or may not have had in short order by doing that.

They mystery to me is who is putting fiat in given that it is a relatively shitty place to buy if price is what one cares about?  The most rational explanation is that whoever is putting fiat in has priorities which include more than simple price because it doesn't seem that Mt. Gox has the overwhelming liquidity advantage that has characterized their operation up until recently.

Activity: 378
Merit: 250
October 13, 2013, 07:12:40 AM
hi guys

anyone having japanese lawyer in his book adress?

Activity: 504
October 13, 2013, 06:49:54 AM
If it's just about getting your money out, Then you have that option. If they still are taking new deposits and you object to that, then maybe we have a greater responsibility?
legendary
Activity: 1437
Merit: 1002
https://bitmynt.no
October 13, 2013, 06:41:09 AM
anyone think of a class action or something similar against mtgox?
I depends on which law hey are under. We might have to press criminal charges on them first for fraud to have a go in civil court.

Are we ready to do that?

Do we report them to both Japan and US authorities?
Japan.  The US authorities have been making most of the trouble in the first place, and hold the key to solving them.  The best would be to report the US authorities to the US authorities, or perhaps the Japan authorities or both.  Its a mess.

I don't know if they have anything similar to class action in Japan.  Btw, if you are going to Japan to show up in court, you may use the opportunity to get a Japanese bank account and withdraw your money.
Activity: 504
October 13, 2013, 06:29:33 AM
hi guys

I depends on which law hey are under. We might have to press criminal charges on them first for fraud to have a go in civil court.

Are we ready to do that?

Do we report them to both Japan and US authorities?
Activity: 378
October 13, 2013, 05:26:07 AM
hi guys

Activity: 153
Merit: 100
October 13, 2013, 03:25:03 AM
Also, if he's an arbitrager, then why would he want to calm people down? A stampede would be perfect for him since Gox' bitcoin price would inflate further...

Ya don't kill the goose that is laying the golden eggs, ya know.

How would the goose die?

If, for reasons which remain mysterious to me, there is a comfortable and stable gap between Mt. Gox and others, and if one has a relationship with Mt. Gox which allows the kind of turn-around needed to succeed at arbitrage, then it makes the most sense to try to just keep the happy state of affairs chugging along.  A 'stampede' at Mt. Gox would probably spell it's flame-out and thus the end to the milking the arbitrage.

I don't think this adds up. If you're able to get your $ out of Gox a stampede would be great since you could sell your $100 Bitstamp coins for $500 or whatever. The bigger the spread the better the arbitrage.
legendary
Activity: 1204
October 12, 2013, 11:45:49 PM
There is always the possibility that Mt. Gox itself, or someone closely associated with it who can get USD out, is exploiting the arbitrage opportunity.
legendary
October 12, 2013, 09:34:02 PM
Also, if he's an arbitrager, then why would he want to calm people down? A stampede would be perfect for him since Gox' bitcoin price would inflate further...

How would the goose die?

Activity: 882
Merit: 501
Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong
October 12, 2013, 06:43:34 PM

How would the goose die?

I think a redneck shot it.
October 12, 2013, 06:42:31 PM

How would the goose die?
legendary
October 12, 2013, 05:12:25 PM

October 12, 2013, 05:08:45 PM
Because he has obviously has a good arbitraging deal going. Would't you milk the cow for what is't worth if you have the change to do it?

How is reassuring people helping out his arbitrage opportunity? If people weren't reassured, the price on Gox would probably be higher even, right?..
As he is in Norway he needs someone local with a Japanese bank account, so he has teamed up with someone and in lieu he puts in a good word as part of the deal.

I don't quite see what putting in a good word is going to achieve?   I think he is just optimistic and reading some of the signals.   He has said a few things I know are incorrect and would lend me to believe he is not working with someone inside Japan to arbitrage.   But you never know.  Still, what does putting in a good word exactly do?
calming this tread down. Without him this tread would be one way street, you dont want a stampede. Believe me you feel a lot better when every other post is reasuring words.
He has some deal going, he is not stupit.

If there was a deal going on, then why wouldn't they just say so? Everybody wishes that someone from Gox was answering questions, instead of some Norwegian dude.

legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1001
Energy is Wealth
October 12, 2013, 02:33:04 PM
Because he has obviously has a good arbitraging deal going. Would't you milk the cow for what is't worth if you have the change to do it?

How is reassuring people helping out his arbitrage opportunity? If people weren't reassured, the price on Gox would probably be higher even, right?..
As he is in Norway he needs someone local with a Japanese bank account, so he has teamed up with someone and in lieu he puts in a good word as part of the deal.

I don't quite see what putting in a good word is going to achieve?   I think he is just optimistic and reading some of the signals.   He has said a few things I know are incorrect and would lend me to believe he is not working with someone inside Japan to arbitrage.   But you never know.  Still, what does putting in a good word exactly do?
calming this tread down. Without him this tread would be one way street, you dont want a stampede. Believe me you feel a lot better when every other post is reasuring words.
He has some deal going, he is not stupit.
legendary
Activity: 1437
https://bitmynt.no
October 12, 2013, 01:31:09 PM

Fees? Are you serious? If someone buys Bitcoins for 1000 USD, MtGox makes 5 USD in fees. How does that help MtGox to "finance" the other party that sold Bitcoins for 1000 USD - and now wants to withdraw the USD? They still need to get 995 USD from somewhere ...
Um...last I heard, to place a bid for $1000 worth of BTC, one first needs to somehow get $1000 to Mt. Gox.  The fees cover operating expenses.  Operating expenses include $10M lifted by Coinlabs and the US Govt of course.  Have Mt. Gox made the kind of money needed to account for this loss?
Yes, no doubt about that.  8 M USD between April and August this year, and as you discovered yourself, half a mill in normal trading fees during the past 30 days.  In addition to this there have been much mixed currency trading the last month.  E.g. people selling BTC for JPY to bids made in another currency.  MtGox takes 2.5% for the currency conversion.  Most EUR and JPY volume was mixed currency.  Before April they didn't have much profit, but accumulated BTC fees from their early days is > 100k BTC which can be sold in an emergency.  This alone can cover the entire amount stolen by Peter Vessenes or seized by DHS.

Will Mt. Gox pull through?  If not, will I be able to claim from the pool of funds held by the USG or Coinlabs?  All good questions.  Mt. Gox has proven to be survivors so far...and they have been through a lot in the brief history of Bitcoin.
I'm an optimist.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1001
Energy is Wealth
October 12, 2013, 01:28:31 PM

Activity: 630
Merit: 500
Bitgoblin
October 12, 2013, 01:12:53 PM
Result: MtGox has a constant inflow of Bitcoin - but on the other hand is lacking a constant inflow of fiat (USD, EUR, JPY, ...).
-> this game comes to an end in the near future.
I don't think you quite understand how bitcoin exchanges work.  The balance of fiat/BTC inflow will only affect the price.  Not MtGox's reserves.
While I'm also not sure he gets it, he (maybe invountarily, maybe clumsily) raises an interesting point: if mtgox is operating as a fractional reserve (and it is, since AFAIK many funds are frozen), then yes its reserves might be drained out by too many people buying them.
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 1722
October 12, 2013, 01:12:20 PM
There are at least 2 large lawsuits:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2972913
And thats only those that were big enough to make the press.
In any case Gox has at least 5kk+ frozen and thats why they keep that bullshit about "bank problems" up.

Don't forget the $5.3M that was not returned to Mt.Gox and is being held by Coinlab.
legendary
October 12, 2013, 01:10:56 PM

Fees? Are you serious? If someone buys Bitcoins for 1000 USD, MtGox makes 5 USD in fees. How does that help MtGox to "finance" the other party that sold Bitcoins for 1000 USD - and now wants to withdraw the USD? They still need to get 995 USD from somewhere ...

Um...last I heard, to place a bid for $1000 worth of BTC, one first needs to somehow get $1000 to Mt. Gox.  The fees cover operating expenses.  Operating expenses include $10M lifted by Coinlabs and the US Govt of course.  Have Mt. Gox made the kind of money needed to account for this loss?  Who knows?  Bitcoincharts claims that $60M exchanged in the last 30 days.  Around 1/2 a mill.  Volume seems low compared to earlier this year when the prices (and thus, the fees) were higher.  Unknowns what the operating and infrastructure expenses are, but a mind-based back-of-the-envelope scribble seems to indicate that that they would be close to break-even without dipping to heavily into customer funds.

It is unknown how many other funds of theirs have been appropriated by the various financial institutions they deal with.  Also, I could imagine that they could have invested heavily in certain infrastructure earlier this year when they thought that their US troubles would be behind them complements of the Coinlabs deal.

It does not seem outrageous to me to hypothesis that they could have some cash flow issues though I had discounted it in the past.  OTOH, other hypothesis are also sufficient to explain their troubles.  One way or another, I would have to guess that the fiat inflows from buyers are dwindling significantly since their price sucks from that perspective, and the market-share which defines fees is also on the down-slide due to their inability to provide an actual exchange function for a broad swath of the userbase.

Will Mt. Gox pull through?  If not, will I be able to claim from the pool of funds held by the USG or Coinlabs?  All good questions.  Mt. Gox has proven to be survivors so far...and they have been through a lot in the brief history of Bitcoin.

Jump to: