Pages:
Author

Topic: My buddy is getting a divorce. Can the court seize half of his bitcoins? - page 3. (Read 14311 times)

Activity: 266
Merit: 250
Hello,
In my opinion government cannot touch your BTC wallet, because it is still not stated clearly in the laws. It needs time for the judgment system to describe BTC adn all crypto and to put a hand on it. Your friend should buy a ticket and go live on some islands with that much coins in his pocket BTW
BR
Gondel

The government has no way to force you to give someone your bitcoin, this is part of the Bitcoin protocol.

There are a number of things the government could do to give up your bitcoin in the event of a Judgment.
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125
1 Lenovo with 2Gig of Ram, 300 BTC, 2.4 GHz CPU, 2TB SSD
Nice - I like that.

You probably have to provide an estimated value. Estimate wrong and you'll be fucked later for providing too low a valuation on purpose, estimate correctly and draw attention. Just leave the country and start over somewhere else. Use the Bitcoin to buy a new identity.
Activity: 252
never getting married, until i find my soul mate (i'd die for her, literally).
Activity: 1022
Merit: 500
Hello,
In my opinion government cannot touch your BTC wallet, because it is still not stated clearly in the laws. It needs time for the judgment system to describe BTC adn all crypto and to put a hand on it. Your friend should buy a ticket and go live on some islands with that much coins in his pocket BTW
BR
Gondel
if they can't even prove that he has bitcoin, how would they be able to seize his money? how would they even go about proving that he owns such and such wallet?

He would be taking a chance and committing perjury if he falsifies his asset declaration. If and when the bitcoins get linked to his name, he would be in trouble.  Smiley

If you hide the money and cannot prove where it went you can be liable of it
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005
Hello,
BR
Gondel
Activity: 448
It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin
They follow the money and see what he did with it.  If he'd mixed it at SR for example, that would be good because it could've been lost. They say he dissipated the assets.  They say, you are in contempt until you come up with $X.

In short: She whores around.  She gets to get f&$@ed by some other guy,, he gets to get f$&@ed all over again by her in court.

in all seriousness -

how could they?

i like his plan.

What if he just said "I developed a gaming addiction and lost it all on a cryptocurrency gambling website"

Which in reality is completely possible and unproveable in the courts eyes seeing as none of the crypto gambling sites are registered with a government authority. Does this mean any married man who loses significant portion of his assets could go to jail for life for not being able to prove the means of which he lost it? Would be surprised if this was the case TBH.

If you cannot prove it and the judge is doubtful it will not stand in court

The rules of evidence are very strange in divorce court.

The person with the economic disadvantage almost always has an advantage in court

Of course and it is why you need a pre-nup or to be the one with the economic disadvantage

If written properly and executed properly a prenup can be very valuable.

Most prenups have clauses that say the spouse that is "worse" off will get something in the event of a divorce.

It is all about knowing what you are signing for and agreeing with it

If you want to give half in case of divorce it's all good; time, effort and sacrifices need to be rewarded and it needs to be negotiated before hand

I agree, but a prenup is generally not a free lunch. The other party would likely not sign the pre nup if they received nothing.

The worse off is likely to apply emotional blackmail to get a better deal : "we shouldn't plan on divorcing so we shouldn't sign a prenup" is a classic sentence of someone thinking about getting a better deal in case things go wrong

When one person is much better off then the other then this would likely not be something that would work as the reasons are too obvious that one spouse could potentially be getting married for money
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000
if they can't even prove that he has bitcoin, how would they be able to seize his money? how would they even go about proving that he owns such and such wallet?

He would be taking a chance and committing perjury if he falsifies his asset declaration. If and when the bitcoins get linked to his name, he would be in trouble.  Smiley
Activity: 434
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1018
They follow the money and see what he did with it.  If he'd mixed it at SR for example, that would be good because it could've been lost. They say he dissipated the assets.  They say, you are in contempt until you come up with $X.

In short: She whores around.  She gets to get f&$@ed by some other guy,, he gets to get f$&@ed all over again by her in court.

in all seriousness -

how could they?

i like his plan.

What if he just said "I developed a gaming addiction and lost it all on a cryptocurrency gambling website"

Which in reality is completely possible and unproveable in the courts eyes seeing as none of the crypto gambling sites are registered with a government authority. Does this mean any married man who loses significant portion of his assets could go to jail for life for not being able to prove the means of which he lost it? Would be surprised if this was the case TBH.

The person with the economic disadvantage almost always has an advantage in court

Of course and it is why you need a pre-nup or to be the one with the economic disadvantage

Most prenups have clauses that say the spouse that is "worse" off will get something in the event of a divorce.

If you want to give half in case of divorce it's all good; time, effort and sacrifices need to be rewarded and it needs to be negotiated before hand

I agree, but a prenup is generally not a free lunch. The other party would likely not sign the pre nup if they received nothing.

The worse off is likely to apply emotional blackmail to get a better deal : "we shouldn't plan on divorcing so we shouldn't sign a prenup" is a classic sentence of someone thinking about getting a better deal in case things go wrong

in all seriousness -

how could they?

i like his plan.

legendary

in all seriousness -

how could they?

i like his plan.

in all seriousness -

how could they?

i like his plan.

in all seriousness -

how could they?

i like his plan.

Activity: 476
Just tell the silly SOB to get a lwayer and stop wasting bandwidth.
legendary

in all seriousness -

how could they?

i like his plan.

in all seriousness -

how could they?

i like his plan.

legendary
Activity: 2604
Merit: 1073
Well , I don't know how that goes but if he denies in court that he has any other bitcoins(valuables) in his possession and after he is released he gets caught using them , well , isn't he going back to court for another round?

Not if he gets asylum in North Korea or Russia (or more realistically in Venezuela or Cuba).

Asylum? Just go to the Philippines and disappear in Manila. Manila is HUGE and packed full of people. I have never been stopped or questioned by a cop in all the years that I have visited. Most people speak some english and their language, tagalog, is easy to learn. Girls are easy to meet, if you are shy, go online and use cherry blossoms or dateinasia.

In the Philippines the bitch won't receive even 1 satoshi.

If you caught your wife or husband on the act of having intercourse you can kill them both without jail time.

Article 247 states the following: "Any legally married person who, having surprised his spouse in the act of committing sexual intercourse with another person, shall kill any of them or both of them in the act of or immediately thereafter, or shall inflict upon them any serious physical injury, shall suffer the penalty of destierro. If he shall inflict upon them physical injuries of any other kind, he shall be exempt from punishment. These rules shall be applicable, under the same circumstances, to parents with respect to their daughters under 18 years of age, and their seducer, while the daughters are living with their parents."

The killer is merely penalized with destierro or prohibited from entering a place designated by the court.

If you do not caught her on the act you can sue her with adultery.

Adultery committed by a man fall under the Phil. laws that governed the Laws of Chastity. Hence only an unfaithful woman is charged with adultery, and if the man involved was aware she was married, then he too is punished.
legendary

in all seriousness -

how could they?

i like his plan.

Activity: 378

in all seriousness -

how could they?

i like his plan.

Pages:
Jump to: