Pages:
Author

Topic: My buddy is getting a divorce. Can the court seize half of his bitcoins? - page 5. (Read 14311 times)

Activity: 104
Merit: 10
my college roommate is now a successful executive. 3 months ago he found out his wife was fxxking a black guy behind his back and his 5-year-old daughter.

since then he has kept quiet and converted as much asset as possible to about 850 bitcoins.

he just sprung the divorce on his ex-wife and now her lawyer is arguing he must have much more money than he claims to be.

the judge ordered he must turn over all his assets to give one half to his ex-wife.

does the court have right of access to his bitcoin wallet?

It would not be possible to seize BTC that your former roommate has in his wallet.

With that being said in the event that a Judge finds that he did in fact hide assets (or not comply with an order to give assets to his former wife) then he could be held in contempt of court (put in jail) until he complies.

Personally I would not risk my freedom for a few hundred thousand dollars (or even millions of dollars).
Activity: 294
Merit: 250

The OP leaves out a key piece of information - how were the bitcoins acquired?

If they were acquired through a method not connected to financial institutions reviewable by the court (mining, person to person, payment for services, etc.) then in the US he could just turn over all financial documents, outside of BTC, through his lawyer and stay quiet.

However, if he purchased coin through an exchange like coinbase, there will be a paper trail and the court can hold him in contempt. Saying it was stolen will be too convenient of an explanation and the judge may still hold him in contempt.

All this being said, it's an interesting topic but the post doesn't sound real. I also don't understand how being "a black guy" is relevant, unless the OP is racist and somehow sees this as an additional insult to the cheating.

legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000
Life sucks if you have a penis buddy.

NEVER EVER EVER EVER get married, ever.  60-70% chance they take half your shit and continue too for a long time.  Never get married not worth the risk one bit.
Activity: 399
If he does not disclose all of his assets and it is later found that he knowingly withheld that information he would go to prison.

He could, however, list it among a long list of items such as this:

Lexus
18 Ping Golf clubs
1 Lenovo with 2Gig of Ram, 300 BTC, 2.4 GHz CPU, 2TB SSD
1 iPhone 4
100 BTU space heater

Lol that is good!
Activity: 434
Merit: 511
Must be really fucked to have a wife, and she cheats on you with another dude.
And you still have to pay 50% of your assets because you married her.
Isnt there something so he doesnt have to pay anything because she cheated?
Im sure you cant cheat on your partner when your married, and when you want to divorce her because she cheated, there must be other rules for that?
Activity: 476
my college roommate is now a successful executive. 3 months ago he found out his wife was fxxking a black guy behind his back and his 5-year-old daughter.

since then he has kept quiet and converted as much asset as possible to about 850 bitcoins.

he just sprung the divorce on his ex-wife and now her lawyer is arguing he must have much more money than he claims to be.

the judge ordered he must turn over all his assets to give one half to his ex-wife.

Yes.
Activity: 490
Merit: 500

Make sure to confuse these issues proper. If you live in Texas, claim you're living in China, and if the wife fucked a hispanic dude, claim it was an eskimo, and if you have a daughter, claim you have 3 sons, that way those lawyers can't trace you here. :p
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217
Yeah the court does have that power the best way for this to roll out is if your friend sells his btc to his parents or a friend that he can trust and once the divorce is over get them back

No. The divorce proceedings have already started. Now he can't do that. May be before the proceedings it was possible.
Activity: 73
Who needs lawyers, just ask Bitcointalk, you can't lose...

+1

Activity: 60
Yeah the court does have that power the best way for this to roll out is if your friend sells his btc to his parents or a friend that he can trust and once the divorce is over get them back
eoJ
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
Who needs lawyers, just ask Bitcointalk, you can't lose...

Not if he claimed he gambled it all away on satoshi dice?
That will go down well when it comes to custody.
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217
It was the Bolivian president and he was certainly not flying to LA.
You simply have to avoid US loving countries airspace.
And i doubt they would pull a stunt like this again anyway.

The Americans pulled up that stunt because Snowden was in the possession of national secrets. But I don't think that they will do the same to someone, who is just running away from his ex-wife.
Activity: 616
Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)
Well , I don't know how that goes but if he denies in court that he has any other bitcoins(valuables) in his possession and after he is released he gets caught using them , well , isn't he going back to court for another round?

Not if he gets asylum in North Korea or Russia (or more realistically in Venezuela or Cuba).

There are many more countries that dont have an extradition treaty with the US.
He could just travel between them forever on normal VISAs.
Didn't they stop a president's plane while it was over another country for suspicion he was smuggling Snowden to the LA?

Latin America, not Los Angeles.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
First I think it is crazy that a court can make you share your assets with your ex-wife. You guys have some crazy laws in your part of the planet. I hear Berlusconni has to pay millions of Euros every month to his ex-wife as "alimony". I just don't see what the justification is for something like that.

But yeah your courts are strong and they will make your friend pay up. Bitcoins are considered money now and hiding assets there is no excuse. We learned that when the SEC charged pirate.

Berlusconi pays to his ex wife exactly 100k eur per day (3 million eur per month). Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1003
Well , I don't know how that goes but if he denies in court that he has any other bitcoins(valuables) in his possession and after he is released he gets caught using them , well , isn't he going back to court for another round?

Not if he gets asylum in North Korea or Russia (or more realistically in Venezuela or Cuba).

Didn't they stop a president's plane while it was over another country for suspicion he was smuggling Snowden to the LA?

Activity: 616
Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1003

Activity: 826
Merit: 501
in defi we trust

Asylum? Just go to the Philippines and disappear in Manila. Manila is HUGE and packed full of people. I have never been stopped or questioned by a cop in all the years that I have visited. Most people speak some english and their language, tagalog, is easy to learn. Girls are easy to meet, if you are shy, go online and use cherry blossoms or dateinasia.

Again . the original example was DPR. not this ordinary guy.
Secondary , you can walk freely because you don't have 100 millions stashed away.
Wait till your neighborhood finds that out...
Activity: 826
Merit: 501
in defi we trust

O yeah , the best place for an ex drug dealer,and a so called pioneer of "free speech".

I think he means the guy whos ex is screwing the black guy and the daughter.

Yeah , that guy only quoted my response , but my response was to somebody talking about DPR.
Activity: 528
Merit: 527

Asylum? Just go to the Philippines and disappear in Manila. Manila is HUGE and packed full of people. I have never been stopped or questioned by a cop in all the years that I have visited. Most people speak some english and their language, tagalog, is easy to learn. Girls are easy to meet, if you are shy, go online and use cherry blossoms or dateinasia.
Pages:
Jump to: