Pages:
Author

Topic: My buddy is getting a divorce. Can the court seize half of his bitcoins? - page 4. (Read 14311 times)

Activity: 419
Merit: 250
my college roommate is now a successful executive. 3 months ago he found out his wife was fxxking a black guy behind his back and his 5-year-old daughter.

since then he has kept quiet and converted as much asset as possible to about 850 bitcoins.

he just sprung the divorce on his ex-wife and now her lawyer is arguing he must have much more money than he claims to be.

the judge ordered he must turn over all his assets to give one half to his ex-wife.

does the court have right of access to his bitcoin wallet?

Cause the race of the guy she was fscking matters, right?
Activity: 448
It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin
Bitcoin is non-seizable right?
And what if he says that he lost it all on a gamble site out of misery?

You can make up tons of things to not let her have the money tbh.

If the judge thinks he lies he will be in trouble and he will need to pay, you cannot always get away by lying

If the judge thinks you are lying then you will be in more trouble then just having lost your money, you would potentially be going to jail.
Activity: 266

You could say the same thing about cash.

A judge would probably want proof.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1018

If the judge thinks he lies he will be in trouble and he will need to pay, you cannot always get away by lying
Activity: 168
Merit: 100

Activity: 448
It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin
'I swear your honor...I lost my private key!'

I agree with the gentleman that stated earlier it largely has to do with how much of a paper trail he generated.  If we are talking large ticket items, cars, houses, boats, etc. more than likely he'll get hammered.  (or at least they will try)

This could be considered to be hiding assets and he could be held in contempt of court if he did not give his exwife 1/2 of what the court thought were his assets.

Although it is impossible to "force" someone to send a transaction, the loss of one's freedom is likely going to compel them to comply (or the threat thereof).
legendary
No problem, your ex-wife's attorney will also take a check.  Grin

These guys who get mad about being fleeced in a divorce seem to be forgetting that they signed a contract. If you agree to a shitty contract then you are to blame, not the counter-party.   

It's not surprising guys are reluctant to get married when you see that it seems like a bad economical deal for them
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
No problem, your ex-wife's attorney will also take a check.  Grin

These guys who get mad about being fleeced in a divorce seem to be forgetting that they signed a contract. If you agree to a shitty contract then you are to blame, not the counter-party.   
legendary

Guys this is old.

December 03, 2013, 08:30:41 AM

OP was trolling.

Oh I usually check the date, good point superresistant!

It is a real problem and a real question : you are suppose to tell all your assets during a divorce
legendary
Activity: 910
Merit: 1000
★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice
how would the courts find out about the true number of them ? if any at  all........
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1125

Guys this is old.

December 03, 2013, 08:30:41 AM

OP was trolling.

Activity: 700
Merit: 500
I think a divorce proceeding and court have the authority to factor in all assets when coming up with a reasonable distribution of assets.  I think that includes the BTC wallet.  Sure, the guy could try to hide the BTC but if he gets found out he's in big trouble, and I think even criminally.
legendary
Activity: 1582
Well hello there!

I agree with the gentleman that stated earlier it largely has to do with how much of a paper trail he generated.  If we are talking large ticket items, cars, houses, boats, etc. more than likely he'll get hammered.  (or at least they will try)
legendary
What state jurisdiction is it?

It will be all about saying the truth or not and proving that he bought/still have the bitcoins

If he doesn't want to do that there are probably ways he could establish plausible deniability with regards to holding those Bitcoins, but having a friend post the details of his situation on a public forum wouldn't be a good way to start.

OP might want to change a few details in the story so it is harder to relate the story to the reality
Activity: 826
Merit: 501
in defi we trust
I really can't believe people are STILL taking this seriously and even asking more information from the op..

Did you at lest check who this gabriella is and what kind of posts "she" makes?

Total Posts:   87 posts
Total Topics Started:   75 topics

Really ,

i will be 16 in 3 months’s time! ^_^

and now the story about her college mate

legendary
Activity: 1722
Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin
my college roommate is now a successful executive. 3 months ago he found out his wife was fxxking a black guy behind his back and his 5-year-old daughter.

since then he has kept quiet and converted as much asset as possible to about 850 bitcoins.

he just sprung the divorce on his ex-wife and now her lawyer is arguing he must have much more money than he claims to be.

the judge ordered he must turn over all his assets to give one half to his ex-wife.

does the court have right of access to his bitcoin wallet?

keeping it realisting, i believe they have the right... BUT .. just backup wallet to some usb and create a new one
say how that is your wallet now, old one was hacked.. tada!
legendary
Activity: 812
Merit: 1002
^ She won't know about btc, she's just a women  Cheesy

Joking aside, it really depends on what assets he sold and how he sold it. If the asset was gold/silver and he sold and took in cash, which then later bought btc with cash, then it's a paperless trail and can easily get away with. Now if he sold a house or anything very hard to hide, then the court can follow where the money went, and will question where it ended up.
Activity: 406
Life sucks if you have a penis buddy.

NEVER EVER EVER EVER get married, ever.  60-70% chance they take half your shit and continue too for a long time.  Never get married not worth the risk one bit.

A prenuptial agreement will protect you if you have a lot of income/assets.

The OP should not hide assets. The court cannot force you to give an exwife BTC but can hold you in contempt if you hide assets and/or do not pay what the court rules must be paid.

Horseshit.

Bitcoin has been defined as property and the court can do just what the fuck it wants with property.

Pretty much this. I worked in my father in laws office during the summer while I was in college. You would be amazed at some of the ideas people thought made sense about hiding property. If she knows about the BTC he will have to account for it. 
Activity: 476

NEVER EVER EVER EVER get married, ever.  60-70% chance they take half your shit and continue too for a long time.  Never get married not worth the risk one bit.

The OP should not hide assets. The court cannot force you to give an exwife BTC but can hold you in contempt if you hide assets and/or do not pay what the court rules must be paid.

Horseshit.

Bitcoin has been defined as property and the court can do just what the fuck it wants with property.
Activity: 266

Pages:
Jump to: