Pages:
Author

Topic: My second ZEC + XMR+ ETH thread builds info links thoughts and photos. - page 11. (Read 147865 times)

legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
Now for exciting news on the z270 series.

I am testing this mobo

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128966

and this cpu
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117730

It is very attractive.  has 3 slots  full size and two for risers. ie five cards..

I just got five cards going on eth.

3 msi rx 470's    --------------- 4gb
1 powerclor red devil rx 470 -- 4gb
1 radeon  rx 480 --------------  4gb

seems stable. at the moment.

I am running windows 10  Enterprise

legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

I have 1 h81 and if you only use 4 cards it works great.  So that's what I do with it.
And if you don't use a piece of shit celeron or pentium psu .

I'm having the same result.

4 cards rock solid, 5 cards not so much ...
legendary
The 8x4x4x + gen 2 trick didn't work .. Sad

Did you try ps_jb's suggestion?

I tried to add the GPUs one by one after the first 3 GPUs (on 16x slots) , and with those settings : 8x4x4x and Gen1.

I managed to get 5 recognised but with lot of battle : many restart, unplug and replug. I don't know why it didn't work straight.

I then added the 6th , and I got it recognised but it is stucked with the 43 error code, and the "6xgpu registry hack mod" even in administrator mode doesn't work to get it working.
So for now , it's mining with 5 gpus , and I continue searching for ideas about the 6th. Never had this problem before with h81 pro BTC mobos ... (it's my first MSI z97)

To Citronick, I understand your advice. But depending on electricity price, customs cost, place available, noise acceptable, electricity available, GPUs costs (sometimes good deals), and abiity to resell gear, everyone will have a different answer to the question .. For me, pandaminer is not good right now. Sure I'm loosing lot of time dealing with problems, and I would like to get rid of it. But in the end, in my particular situation, (different from your particular one), pandaminer could be a loss in the end.

point taken - vg54dett.

Like what Philip shared, the 4xGPU Biostar Z170 mobo is so far the best format and also cost efficient; good after sales opportunities too. I have 5 x rigs like the Biostar and have chosen that format for all new rigs... until Pandaminer came along.

I like the biostar z170. Use a m2 ssd. Use an evga 750 p2 psu or a rosewill quark 850.
Small size fast build.
As for six card builds such a time waster always an issue or 2 or 3.

I have 1 h81 and if you only use 4 cards it works great.  So that's what I do with it.
And if you don't use a piece of shit celeron or pentium psu .

I have a i5 4570s in it it runs really good.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----

I tried to add the GPUs one by one after the first 3 GPUs (on 16x slots) , and with those settings : 8x4x4x and Gen1.

I managed to get 5 recognised but with lot of battle : many restart, unplug and replug. I don't know why it didn't work straight.

I then added the 6th , and I got it recognised but it is stucked with the 43 error code, and the "6xgpu registry hack mod" even in administrator mode doesn't work to get it working.
So for now , it's mining with 5 gpus , and I continue searching for ideas about the 6th. Never had this problem before with h81 pro BTC mobos ... (it's my first MSI z97)

To Citronick, I understand your advice. But depending on electricity price, customs cost, place available, noise acceptable, electricity available, GPUs costs (sometimes good deals), and abiity to resell gear, everyone will have a different answer to the question .. For me, pandaminer is not good right now. Sure I'm loosing lot of time dealing with problems, and I would like to get rid of it. But in the end, in my particular situation, (different from your particular one), pandaminer could be a loss in the end.

point taken - vg54dett.

Like what Philip shared, the 4xGPU Biostar Z170 mobo is so far the best format and also cost efficient; good after sales opportunities too. I have 5 x rigs like the Biostar and have chosen that format for all new rigs... until Pandaminer came along.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500

Unfortunately it was about like in my case, except I did not get 43 - Win 10 helped.
legendary

The biostar z170's  are reliable no riser issues.
and they look good at night  with the msi rx 470's
here are six 4 card rigs

Activity: 501

EDIT : update , after many test and try , I now have lost the 6th GPU , not showing in the device list again . That's crazy when you have everything brand new, you know exactly what to do because you did it previously , and that's not working ...

To Citronick, I understand your advice. But depending on electricity price, customs cost, place available, noise acceptable, electricity available, GPUs costs (sometimes good deals), and abiity to resell gear, everyone will have a different answer to the question .. For me, pandaminer is not good right now. Sure I'm loosing lot of time dealing with problems, and I would like to get rid of it. But in the end, in my particular situation, (different from your particular one), even if I'm currently loosing all my hair, pandaminer would probably be a loss in the end.
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
CryptoLearner

Amd run very good on the biostar z170.

very expensive card, 200$ here Sad but seems good yeah
legendary

not to be a wise-ass here.... but honestly, these nightmares, hours of testing, ancient 6xGPU hacks, registry hacks, messing with risers & BIOS settings, crimson drivers, etc.... all of these downtimes could have been mining time and making good money.

After personally building my currently rigs from scratch (all 33 of them)... I appreciate the coming of Pandaminers. Having said that, I now have more time learning software and Linux, and less hardware.

Just sharing my 2 cents and I know some hardcore miners may have different views.

Nvidia rigs, much easier Cool (for now at least  Grin) now on a persnnal POV, i think an AMD rig is really interesting to learn alot of good stuff. But yeah, it seems to be lenghty to get something solid & stable, even with the thousands experience feedback from other peoples.

The panda look good, but it's kinda like the ASICS, high price, long ROI, and very low warranty time. Those type of things make me cringe, and i prefer to go GPU mining the normal way because of that.

Amd run very good on the biostar z170.

Activity: 224
Merit: 100
CryptoLearner

not to be a wise-ass here.... but honestly, these nightmares, hours of testing, ancient 6xGPU hacks, registry hacks, messing with risers & BIOS settings, crimson drivers, etc.... all of these downtimes could have been mining time and making good money.

After personally building my currently rigs from scratch (all 33 of them)... I appreciate the coming of Pandaminers. Having said that, I now have more time learning software and Linux, and less hardware.

Just sharing my 2 cents and I know some hardcore miners may have different views.

Nvidia rigs, much easier Cool (for now at least  Grin) now on a persnnal POV, i think an AMD rig is really interesting to learn alot of good stuff. But yeah, it seems to be lenghty to get something solid & stable, even with the thousands experience feedback from other peoples.

The panda look good, but it's kinda like the ASICS, high price, long ROI, and very low warranty time. Those type of things make me cringe, and i prefer to go GPU mining the normal way because of that.
legendary

citronick

I would love to buy 2 of them instead of my two self-made rigs, but I can place them only inside of house. And one is close to living room with TV Sad

I believe Philip has experimented all the fan mods successfully, and with Eliovp's custom ROM and Linux efforts; this will result in a nice & power friendly home GPU miner, good enough to be place near the TV.

For me I will take the custom ROM and Linux, and would leave all the stock fans intact because the Pandas will be shipped to Labrador  Grin

mining with shit oem software  and a 20 dollar mod fan volts drop to 9 vs 12  fan watts drop  from 80 to 40.  this is with the gear  using 900 watts.

I believe watts will drop to 750 with new software which will allow  my mod to do 9 volts and 32 watts vs 80.  you won't quite be low enough to run a panda next to a tv.  but in a room with an open window and a closed door it would be okay. 

I am waiting for the soft ware from Eliovp for final tests.

I sold 11 gpus  and some mobos.
I have  a very nice 2 card case build
I have  more gpus
I have more cpus
I have ram.

I will be running 27 msi rx 470's
6 biostar  riser rigs.  z170 with   4 rx 470's each

1 aorus gigabyte z270  with 3 rx 470's

here is my review of the new aorus.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128966

I have yet to up date it as it runs 4 cards  3 in slots 1 in a riser. 

the review reflects my 3 msi rx 470's

and not the powercolor red devil in a riser added to it.

Eventually I may go all pandaminer  time will tell.
legendary
---- winter*juvia -----

citronick

I would love to buy 2 of them instead of my two self-made rigs, but I can place them only inside of house. And one is close to living room with TV Sad

I believe Philip has experimented all the fan mods successfully, and with Eliovp's custom ROM and Linux efforts; this will result in a nice & power friendly home GPU miner, good enough to be place near the TV.

For me I will take the custom ROM and Linux, and would leave all the stock fans intact because the Pandas will be shipped to Labrador  Grin

citronick

legendary
---- winter*juvia -----

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1009

thank you both for trying to help.

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1009
What I found that for this MB MSI Z97 Gaming 5 the order how you add GPUs is critical. First try to fill all x16 slot and then smaller slots

Its probably easier to modify the mobo pci bandwidth settings to the option that spreads out the bandwidth the most over the 16x slots. 

If I remember correctly this is 8x 4x 4x.  Select that option and set the speed to gen2, then save and apply.  This should allow all the slots to be recognized correctly.
you mean add 1 by 1 ?
or you mean maybe another order could work ? (would be weird, for example 1 GPU move from one x1 to another x1 ?)
Win7

But the problem is not registry hack.
I always use the 6xgpu mod registry hack for the 6 GPUs rigs, but that only work if the cards are recognized ! (when you see GPU 5 and 6 with error 43 in the device manager)
Here, I don't see them. So the 6xgpu mod can't help ... Sad

What I found that for this MB MSI Z97 Gaming 5 the order how you add GPUs is critical. First try to fill all x16 slot and then smaller slots
Win7

But the problem is not registry hack.
I always use the 6xgpu mod registry hack for the 6 GPUs rigs, but that only work if the cards are recognized ! (when you see GPU 5 and 6 with error 43 in the device manager)
Here, I don't see them. So the 6xgpu mod can't help ... Sad
Pages:
Jump to: