Pages:
Author

Topic: My second ZEC + XMR+ ETH thread builds info links thoughts and photos. - page 13. (Read 147923 times)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

Out of the box -- it is usable to some extent; mining Claymore ETH, XMR, ZEC, multialgo etc. but on Windows 10-Ent.

Let me disagree with that. Based on 3 "reviews" (short answers) from owners - from the box the miner will mine stably only ZEC and XMR.

1 owner from 3 got stable mining with ETH after changing Win 10 ETPR from the miner to his own licenced copy
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----
Nice rig !

Care to share the rig case brand/model ? Also same for this AriesIV case (tried to look for it @google but didn't find it)

AriesIV case is in his sig - I think thats a better build compared to this one.

I posted this 4U 8U chassis link in my earlier post.

The Sapphire 480s Reference are modded for ETH Eliovp's 29MH-low energy rom, so the cards are cool & steady currently mining ZEC. I sold him these cards from my current farm.

Frankly....  after building this rig with him the whole day, with fair share of drama (the rig failed to POST the first few times)..... I appreciate the Panda even more.

Thx citronix Smiley

Well the pandaminer is interesting yes, but again warranty and the starting price make me quite wary of the system (and also the fact that out of box it's pretty useless, you have to have eliovp linux/mod), but im happy to see people content with it, it's a very interesting piece of hardware for sure !

Out of the box -- it is usable to some extent; mining Claymore ETH, XMR, ZEC, multialgo etc. but on Windows 10-Ent.

However, to make this into a better; efficient power consumption, stable and reliable, lights out, 24x7 miner for GPU farms - it's better to replace Windows with Linux plus improve the rom mod further with Eliovp's super-mod roms.

My current testing Panda is mining away XMR nicely with a Linux OS, completely headless, and ready to sit in one corner just waiting for Eliovp's PandaLinuxOS.

AriesIV:
Apart from the 2k direct pricing from Panda - the manufacturer - NO middleman or reselling agents.

You need a minimum Gold 1600w PSU if mining ETH. XMR and ZEC, I believe 1300w is enough - Phil has done the tests for power requirements. For me I used an old S7 1600w PSU.

After Eliovp's magic roms, I will not be surprised if we can squeeze a good brand 1000w PSU to get the Panda going.

No messing around with PCI-USB risers, etc. Time to deploy is very fast.

And you need to factor in DHL/Fedex/UPS and the customs duty.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1006
Mine for a Bit
Nice rig !

Care to share the rig case brand/model ? Also same for this AriesIV case (tried to look for it @google but didn't find it)

The Sapphire 480s Reference are modded for ETH Eliovp's 29MH-low energy rom, so the cards are cool & steady currently mining ZEC. I sold him these cards from my current farm.

Frankly....  after building this rig with him the whole day, with fair share of drama (the rig failed to POST the first few times)..... I appreciate the Panda even more.

Thx citronix Smiley

Well the pandaminer is interesting yes, but again warranty and the starting price make me quite wary of the system (and also the fact that out of box it's pretty useless, you have to have eliovp linux/mod), but im happy to see people content with it, it's a very interesting piece of hardware for sure !

citronick, it is still a cool looking machine!  Gota have "cool" in this business!

Another subject:  
What is the total cost to get the panda miner up and running?  I believe that you will need a psu.  Anything else?

Activity: 224
Merit: 100
CryptoLearner
Nice rig !

Frankly....  after building this rig with him the whole day, with fair share of drama (the rig failed to POST the first few times)..... I appreciate the Panda even more.

Thx citronix Smiley

legendary
---- winter*juvia -----
Nice rig !

Frankly....  after building this rig with him the whole day, with fair share of drama (the rig failed to POST the first few times)..... I appreciate the Panda even more.
legendary
---- winter*juvia -----

In return, I helped him build a 6x480 rig using a 4U case which I was also interested in before this Panda came by.

That case pictured, *IF* it is rack mountable, appears to be an 8U case.
 It's not even CLOSE to being a 4U case.

By specification, a 4U case cannot be more than 7" in height.

You are right Quintleo,  just rang up my friend and confirmed that the chassis dimensions.
It is also rack mountable, when he came to visit he didnt bring the rack mount kit.

Color: black panel, white box
Material: panel SGCC all black sand grain, box 1.2 mm thick steel plate
Dimensions: 420mm*440mm*311mm (length * width * height)
Motherboard: ATX 12 "*9.6" (305mm*244mm)
Power supply: two ATX standard desktop power supply
Graphics: the maximum can be loaded with 7 340mm length of the card
Hard disk: 3*3.5 hard drive or 6*2.5 drive
Heat dissipation: 12 6 double ball high power fan
Package size: 580*580*425mm (length * width * high) packing / double double carton
Weight: 15.2kg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Rack-type-GPU-machine-multi-card-case-dual-power-card-heat-dissipation/32750205586.html?

Great Build - Good Looking!  Have you taken a look at the gpu temps/fan speeds yet?  This would be a Push system (the fans push the air into the rig) and air escaped through the least resistance.

Temps are low to mid 70s C, fan speed.... from console I can see % which is hardly max; 50-60%

Fans RPM -- no idea how get this out from Linux-SM

The chassis is big and heavy -- and has plenty of room.

I can feel the air flow out from the back vents.
legendary
Mine for a Bit

In return, I helped him build a 6x480 rig using a 4U case which I was also interested in before this Panda came by.

You are right Quintleo,  just rang up my friend and confirmed that the chassis dimensions.
It is also rack mountable, when he came to visit he didnt bring the rack mount kit.

Package size: 580*580*425mm (length * width * high) packing / double double carton

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Rack-type-GPU-machine-multi-card-case-dual-power-card-heat-dissipation/32750205586.html?

Great Build - Good Looking!  Have you taken a look at the gpu temps/fan speeds yet?  This would be a Push system (the fans push the air into the rig) and air escaped through the least resistance.
legendary
---- winter*juvia -----

CryptoLearner

It indeed does appear to be 6U if fans behind are 120mm ones, that's maybe 300m height in all with case 4U is 18cm so yeah not a 4U (even if they were 80mm fans) so either a 6U (26.67cm) or 8U (35.56cm), still very interested in the case model Smiley

legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

legendary
Just to let ya know, Claymore said this yesterday for Zcash (ZEC)

"I will release new version with good speedup within 24 hours."

Geeze lol! Why does he keep spending 95% of his time on ZEC when it has been well below both ETH & XMR in mining profitability for many weeks in a row now?  Yeah, I get that there is not much more room for improvement with ETH mining but XMR seems to have some room, esp for 470/480's, since those were not even out when he made his XMR GPU miner.

Per Wolf0, there is NOT much room if any for significant optimisation on XMR for the 470/480 series, the current miners are already well optimised.

ZEC on the other hand still has quite a bit of room for optimisation it would appear.

CryptoLearner
Nice rig !

legendary
---- winter*juvia -----
While busy with testing the Panda miner, a buddy of mine came down to visit to have a look at the Panda.

I needed his msata-to-USB3 converter card to burn a Linux image to replace the Win10-Ent OS in the Panda.

Not easy to manage this case, although shorter in length, GPUs are above the mobo, so it's quite tricky to get all the risers in position and troubleshoot.

A longer 2U case like AriesIV would have been better where you can access the GPUs and motherboard at the same time, for easy troubleshooting.

Anyways, its up and running now mining Claymore ZEC v10 on a SM-Linux thumbdrive. He asked me to babysit the rig for him until he prepares a place for it in his apartment.

Activity: 600
Merit: 261

Geeze lol! Why does he keep spending 95% of his time on ZEC when it has been well below both ETH & XMR in mining profitability for many weeks in a row now?  Yeah, I get that there is not much more room for improvement with ETH mining but XMR seems to have some room, esp for 470/480's, since those were not even out when he made his XMR GPU miner.  He did update it about a week ago but it was only to bring it up to date feature wise, with no speed increase.  I guess there are still more miners with only older gen cards that can really only mine ZEC that are keeping updates in demand, but the profitability simply isn't there for the 470/480 crowd.

Oh well, it could be worse... all 10 of my cryptocoin holdings could be down double-digit % today.  Of wait... they are... so, strike that.  Bad day to be in crypto. Hope it turns around soon. Really wish the government in China would shut their f'in mouths.
legendary
Mine for a Bit

legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
Phil  did you ever see these?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA27C3GN8656

They have a resistor  and plug inline for 3 pin fans.  5 for 6 bucks.  So 2 orders for 12 dollars  would be enough for all 9 fans in the PandaMiner.

I like them  not sure is they can carry a 0.80 amp max load.

For 12 bucks I will order them now.  They could make the miner much quieter.

When my pandaminer does zec  the heatsinks are only about 40c

I think I'm reading that as they have 47 ohm resisters in line - which is gonna drop those Deltas to 3 volts or so *if* I'm correct and the fans won't turn at all a that low a voltage.
 Might be 4.7 ohm though - the listing is VERY unclear - which would be a fairly small voltage and speed drop but the resistor better be a lot bigger than it looks like (at LEAST a 2 watt and even that would probably be very marginal at best, 5 watt would be better for some safety from overload and overheat).

I can measure the ohms and put in a more ballsy resister.   I like that I get 10 pieces.   As for  what volts work on the fan  6-7 volts is minimum

here are lots of 4.7 ohm 2 watts

http://www.digikey.com/products/en/resistors/through-hole-resistors/53?
legendary
Phil  did you ever see these?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA27C3GN8656

They have a resistor  and plug inline for 3 pin fans.  5 for 6 bucks.  So 2 orders for 12 dollars  would be enough for all 9 fans in the PandaMiner.

I like them  not sure is they can carry a 0.80 amp max load.

For 12 bucks I will order them now.  They could make the miner much quieter.

When my pandaminer does zec  the heatsinks are only about 40c

I think I'm reading that as they have 47 ohm resisters in line - which is gonna drop those Deltas to 3 volts or so *if* I'm correct and the fans won't turn at all a that low a voltage.
 Might be 4.7 ohm though - the listing is VERY unclear - which would be a fairly small voltage and speed drop but the resistor better be a lot bigger than it looks like (at LEAST a 2 watt and even that would probably be very marginal at best, 5 watt would be better for some safety from overload and overheat).

This is quite interesting!  So, to make sure I understand correctly... these risers are powered by converting the sata plugs coming from the PSU to 6-pin PCIe-type power (instead of either sata to molex or molex to molex)?

Is this a legitimately better way to go than the sata to molex type?  I had always avoided that on my GPUs since I heard several people saying that this caused problems due to wrong voltage pull or something like that. So, I had always gone molex to molex, but of course, that is also why I am always short on molex connectors since I would need 3 x 2 for GPUs and 1 x 2 to power my BTC pro r2 Mobo.  Needing 8 molex on 4 cords sucks when even 1200W Plat PSU only comes with 2 x 2.

So, if I understand this correctly, using these 6-pin adapters, I could make use of the extra sata cables/connectors for 6 GPUs... meaning I would really only need 2 molex to power my mobo?  If true, is there still a limit of 2 GPUs per string?  Or could I reasonably put 3 per string?

I do not use the SATA to 6 pin PCIe adapter.  I just plug a 6 pin PCIe cable in from my PSU directly into the USB riser.  I believe that is the best way to power them.  I did not get the SATA to PCIe adapter, but from the pictures the gauge of the wires look like they are of a heavier gauge than the regular SATA or Molex ones but I'm not 100% sure on that.

hmmm... but how does this provide enough & even power to the GPUs?  Most of what I have read indicates that IN ADDITION to the riser power, the 6+2 pin connector coming from the PSU must be plugged directly into the GPU. Maybe I'm missing something but I thought there is supposed to be a balance between GPU power coming from the PCIe slot/riser and directly from the PSU via the 6+2 pin connector. Is this not correct?

Yes he's using a 6 pin power cable to power the riser AND a 8 or 6+2pins power cable to power the gpu. Most risers have molex or sata connector power input, but there is newest version that has a 6 pin connector directly hence bypassing the need of a sata to molex adapter to power the riser. You even have some motherboards that also has additionnal power connector reserved for the PCI-express slot to give them more power. Using GPU power supply + motherboard power supply + riser power supply you smooth out the load between different power lane of your PSU, smoothing the power output. so it's all good Smiley

Ahhhh!! thanks for clarifying that! I had mis-understood his post to mean that he was SOLELY using the 6-pin, but now I read it again and that is of course not the case.  That does seem like a much better way to do things but now I am wondering about being short on PCIe cables... but actually, I think I have at least 2 left over from my first 2 rigs so probably will work. Thanks again, I will order that 6-pack promptly.
CryptoLearner

This is quite interesting!  So, to make sure I understand correctly... these risers are powered by converting the sata plugs coming from the PSU to 6-pin PCIe-type power (instead of either sata to molex or molex to molex)?

Is this a legitimately better way to go than the sata to molex type?  I had always avoided that on my GPUs since I heard several people saying that this caused problems due to wrong voltage pull or something like that. So, I had always gone molex to molex, but of course, that is also why I am always short on molex connectors since I would need 3 x 2 for GPUs and 1 x 2 to power my BTC pro r2 Mobo.  Needing 8 molex on 4 cords sucks when even 1200W Plat PSU only comes with 2 x 2.

So, if I understand this correctly, using these 6-pin adapters, I could make use of the extra sata cables/connectors for 6 GPUs... meaning I would really only need 2 molex to power my mobo?  If true, is there still a limit of 2 GPUs per string?  Or could I reasonably put 3 per string?

I do not use the SATA to 6 pin PCIe adapter.  I just plug a 6 pin PCIe cable in from my PSU directly into the USB riser.  I believe that is the best way to power them.  I did not get the SATA to PCIe adapter, but from the pictures the gauge of the wires look like they are of a heavier gauge than the regular SATA or Molex ones but I'm not 100% sure on that.

hmmm... but how does this provide enough & even power to the GPUs?  Most of what I have read indicates that IN ADDITION to the riser power, the 6+2 pin connector coming from the PSU must be plugged directly into the GPU. Maybe I'm missing something but I thought there is supposed to be a balance between GPU power coming from the PCIe slot/riser and directly from the PSU via the 6+2 pin connector. Is this not correct?

Yes he's using a 6 pin power cable to power the riser AND a 8 or 6+2pins power cable to power the gpu. Most risers have molex or sata connector power input, but there is newest version that has a 6 pin connector directly hence bypassing the need of a sata to molex adapter to power the riser. You even have some motherboards that also has additionnal power connector reserved for the PCI-express slot to give them more power. Using GPU power supply + motherboard power supply + riser power supply you smooth out the load between different power lane of your PSU, smoothing the power output. so it's all good Smiley

I do not use the SATA to 6 pin PCIe adapter.  I just plug a 6 pin PCIe cable in from my PSU directly into the USB riser.  I believe that is the best way to power them.  I did not get the SATA to PCIe adapter, but from the pictures the gauge of the wires look like they are of a heavier gauge than the regular SATA or Molex ones but I'm not 100% sure on that.

hmmm... but how does this provide enough & even power to the GPUs?  Most of what I have read indicates that IN ADDITION to the riser power, the 6+2 pin connector coming from the PSU must be plugged directly into the GPU. Maybe I'm missing something but I thought there is supposed to be a balance between GPU power coming from the PCIe slot/riser and directly from the PSU via the 6+2 pin connector. Is this not correct?
Pages:
Jump to: