Pages:
Author

Topic: My second ZEC + XMR+ ETH thread builds info links thoughts and photos. - page 34. (Read 147923 times)

legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

Yeah, there seems to be a big problem with the defaults on that site.

They have ZEC set at 630 HR using 660W, which is reasonably close to the 710H/610W i get from my 4-GPU rig.  But their ETH default H/R for equivalent wattage is WAY off!  They have only 48 MH/s for 660W but my 4-card rig is getting 108 with almost exactly that wattage.

So, if I change both to what I am getting on my rig, and bump the electricity to 11 cents, it shows ETH net profit of $2.83/day (about 25% higher than my own calc), while ZEC comes in at $1.46/day (about 20% higher than my calc).  Granted, my net calcs are probably a bit conservative since I am using peak wattage and the average is probably going to be a bit less, but either way, ETH is almost twice as profitable as ZEC at this point, at least for me.

I just started mining XMR with my 5-GPU rig, so will report back on that later. Initial speeds reported only about 2.8 Kh/s (not even 600 Mh/s per GPU) but it was still warming up... and I haven't tweaked the settings in Claymore at all yet, so will see how that turns out.

Yes, this is exactly what I need to do as well. On a 4-GPU rig I use 600 watts mining either ETH and ZEC, but I need to change ETH hash-rates to a more reasonable 108 value and ZEC to 840. So the defaults are definitely way off.

Using my values from above, ETH currently shows it is earning about $0.75 more per day on this rig than it would on ZEC. The interesting thing is the ZEC network hash rate has kept rising over the past 24 hours, so not sure if site like What-to-mine influence this trend or not. I would think most miners shoudl be able to figure this basic error with the default values.
Activity: 83
Merit: 10
nice rig you guys have
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1006
Mine for a Bit
Probably a lot of people have done this already, but I am jumping ship on freaking ZEC!  Further drops almost every single day... now headed towards a pathetic $43 or lower by end of day!  Frankly, I should have switched weeks ago but was hoping against hope there would be some kind of rally in price.  Alas, in reality, how can we expect a crypto coin that STILL does not have something as basic as a working Z-wallet (at least on Bittex) to appreciate in value?  yeah I know there still could be a pump but it is infuriating to sit here mining it, only to have the total value of the whopping ~3 ZEC i have mined drop in value almost every day, despite accumulating more each day.

So... yesterday I finally switched over rig#1 back to ETH.  My calcs show my profit from that to be about $2.20/day, as opposed to the pathetic $1.30 it was making from ZEC.  I was going to keep rig#2 on ZEC for a while longer but I doubt I will do that now.  The only thing holing me back at all on that is the fact that I haven't strap-modded the GPUs on rig #2 yet and certainly dont want to start mining ETH on that one until I do so.  Still, I may even give XMR a run on that and see what it does.  I am actually now running Claymore's CPU XMR miner on all 3 of my PCs now and actually projecting a modest net profit of about $25/month.  Have yet to run his GPU XMR miner on any of my rigs so may give it a shot tonight and see what the results are.  

According to http://www.whattomine.com/

ZEC is still profitable.
Followed by Monero/XMR
Then NeoScrypt/Feather coin
and then ETH.

They have ZEC set at 630 HR using 660W, which is reasonably close to the 710H/610W i get from my 4-GPU rig.  But their ETH default H/R for equivalent wattage is WAY off!  They have only 48 MH/s for 660W but my 4-card rig is getting 108 with almost exactly that wattage.

So, if I change both to what I am getting on my rig, and bump the electricity to 11 cents, it shows ETH net profit of $2.83/day (about 25% higher than my own calc), while ZEC comes in at $1.46/day (about 20% higher than my calc).  Granted, my net calcs are probably a bit conservative since I am using peak wattage and the average is probably going to be a bit less, but either way, ETH is almost twice as profitable as ZEC at this point, at least for me.

I just started mining XMR with my 5-GPU rig, so will report back on that later. Initial speeds reported only about 2.8 Kh/s (not even 600 Mh/s per GPU) but it was still warming up... and I haven't tweaked the settings in Claymore at all yet, so will see how that turns out.

I was on ZEC a few days ago, but have switched to ETH and realize a $1.04 Net Increase per 1300 SOLs over ZEC.
Activity: 600
Merit: 261
Probably a lot of people have done this already, but I am jumping ship on freaking ZEC!  Further drops almost every single day... now headed towards a pathetic $43 or lower by end of day!  Frankly, I should have switched weeks ago but was hoping against hope there would be some kind of rally in price.  Alas, in reality, how can we expect a crypto coin that STILL does not have something as basic as a working Z-wallet (at least on Bittex) to appreciate in value?  yeah I know there still could be a pump but it is infuriating to sit here mining it, only to have the total value of the whopping ~3 ZEC i have mined drop in value almost every day, despite accumulating more each day.

So... yesterday I finally switched over rig#1 back to ETH.  My calcs show my profit from that to be about $2.20/day, as opposed to the pathetic $1.30 it was making from ZEC.  I was going to keep rig#2 on ZEC for a while longer but I doubt I will do that now.  The only thing holing me back at all on that is the fact that I haven't strap-modded the GPUs on rig #2 yet and certainly dont want to start mining ETH on that one until I do so.  Still, I may even give XMR a run on that and see what it does.  I am actually now running Claymore's CPU XMR miner on all 3 of my PCs now and actually projecting a modest net profit of about $25/month.  Have yet to run his GPU XMR miner on any of my rigs so may give it a shot tonight and see what the results are. 

ZEC is still profitable.
Followed by Monero/XMR
and then ETH.

They have ZEC set at 630 HR using 660W, which is reasonably close to the 710H/610W i get from my 4-GPU rig.  But their ETH default H/R for equivalent wattage is WAY off!  They have only 48 MH/s for 660W but my 4-card rig is getting 108 with almost exactly that wattage.

So, if I change both to what I am getting on my rig, and bump the electricity to 11 cents, it shows ETH net profit of $2.83/day (about 25% higher than my own calc), while ZEC comes in at $1.46/day (about 20% higher than my calc).  Granted, my net calcs are probably a bit conservative since I am using peak wattage and the average is probably going to be a bit less, but either way, ETH is almost twice as profitable as ZEC at this point, at least for me.

legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----
Probably a lot of people have done this already, but I am jumping ship on freaking ZEC!  Further drops almost every single day... now headed towards a pathetic $43 or lower by end of day!  Frankly, I should have switched weeks ago but was hoping against hope there would be some kind of rally in price.  Alas, in reality, how can we expect a crypto coin that STILL does not have something as basic as a working Z-wallet (at least on Bittex) to appreciate in value?  yeah I know there still could be a pump but it is infuriating to sit here mining it, only to have the total value of the whopping ~3 ZEC i have mined drop in value almost every day, despite accumulating more each day.

So... yesterday I finally switched over rig#1 back to ETH.  My calcs show my profit from that to be about $2.20/day, as opposed to the pathetic $1.30 it was making from ZEC.  I was going to keep rig#2 on ZEC for a while longer but I doubt I will do that now.  The only thing holing me back at all on that is the fact that I haven't strap-modded the GPUs on rig #2 yet and certainly dont want to start mining ETH on that one until I do so.  Still, I may even give XMR a run on that and see what it does.  I am actually now running Claymore's CPU XMR miner on all 3 of my PCs now and actually projecting a modest net profit of about $25/month.  Have yet to run his GPU XMR miner on any of my rigs so may give it a shot tonight and see what the results are. 

ZEC is still profitable.
Followed by Monero/XMR
and then ETH.

legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
Citronick... can I ask your recommendation on when to run that 6xGPU mod app?  pre or post attempted install of GPU #5?  Meaning, should I run it now with only the 4 working GPUs plugged into my rig or, attempt to install the 5th again (getting the error 43) and THEN run this mod app?  Thanks  Smiley

Put in all 5 OR all 6 GPUs.

Install DDU and perform clean DDU in safe mode (Download latest here http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html)

Install Crimson 16.11.x (avoid the Relive 16.12.x)

Ensure Device Manager sees them all (you may need to seat and reseat the risers etc)

If the last GPU give you "Error 43" - run the 6GPU utility in Admin mode - reboot.

Good luck!

Thanks to Citronick, I finally got the 5th GPU working on rig #2!  The "funny" thing is that I was trying it before I saw this post by you, and it would not work. Looked like it was writing to the registry but that error 43 still showed up.  Finally, I quit trying, came back and saw your post.  Even though I already knew to run that mod as Admin, I had somehow forgotten to do that on all my attempts.  So, I went back, ran the 6xGPU as admin and amazingly, it worked immediately after rebooting. Now have all 5 cards hashing about 175 S/s per, sucking about 727W at max.

Note that I have #5 plugged in the the last x1 PCIe slot.  I didn't wanna mess with trying the x16 slot on this attempt since i have a feeling that there is a different issue with that slot.  But, instead of taking a chance and buying another GPU outright, I plan to pull 1 off my other rig and test it in that x16 slot.  I am not really optimistic that this 6xGPU mod will have fixed the issue with the x16 slot not working, since I have never even been able to get this rig to boot with the riser plugged into this slot, but I suppose it's at least worth a shot.  Thanks again to Citronick for helping me get past the 4-GPU barrier!

Nice  maybe  you can do 5 + 5 on the two rigs.

I just got this pc

http://store.hp.com/us/en/PDPStdView?catalogId=10051&urlLangId=-1&langId=-1&productId=1501157&storeId=10151

mostly because I wanted to see the rx 480 inside it.  same size as my rx 460 visiontek

photos coming up

shortest one in this photo

here is the visiontek rx 460 well under 8 inches

the hp rx 480 is shorter by about ½ inch

Citronick... can I ask your recommendation on when to run that 6xGPU mod app?  pre or post attempted install of GPU #5?  Meaning, should I run it now with only the 4 working GPUs plugged into my rig or, attempt to install the 5th again (getting the error 43) and THEN run this mod app?  Thanks  Smiley

Put in all 5 OR all 6 GPUs.

Install DDU and perform clean DDU in safe mode (Download latest here http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html)

Install Crimson 16.11.x (avoid the Relive 16.12.x)

Ensure Device Manager sees them all (you may need to seat and reseat the risers etc)

If the last GPU give you "Error 43" - run the 6GPU utility in Admin mode - reboot.

Good luck!

Thanks to Citronick, I finally got the 5th GPU working on rig #2!  The "funny" thing is that I was trying it before I saw this post by you, and it would not work. Looked like it was writing to the registry but that error 43 still showed up.  Finally, I quit trying, came back and saw your post.  Even though I already knew to run that mod as Admin, I had somehow forgotten to do that on all my attempts.  So, I went back, ran the 6xGPU as admin and amazingly, it worked immediately after rebooting. Now have all 5 cards hashing about 175 S/s per, sucking about 727W at max.

Note that I have #5 plugged in the the last x1 PCIe slot.  I didn't wanna mess with trying the x16 slot on this attempt since i have a feeling that there is a different issue with that slot.  But, instead of taking a chance and buying another GPU outright, I plan to pull 1 off my other rig and test it in that x16 slot.  I am not really optimistic that this 6xGPU mod will have fixed the issue with the x16 slot not working, since I have never even been able to get this rig to boot with the riser plugged into this slot, but I suppose it's at least worth a shot.  Thanks again to Citronick for helping me get past the 4-GPU barrier!

legendary
---- winter*juvia -----
vg54dett - bluescreen will need hard reset - and the reboot batch file will not work on your scenario.

I think you need to solve this bluescreen issue separately first. I suspect, GPU driver or RAM related issues. What is your rig config and setup?

In basic setup, reboot.bat need to be saved in same folder as Claymore miner.

In your file manager browser, type "shell:startup" and hit enter. In this folder, you can put a batch file to run Claymore miner or any other app. When Windows boots up, it will run all programs and batch files in this startup folder.

Activity: 501
Merit: 500
Do someone know if our modded gpus (1500 strap) are still efficient for gaming ? or do we loose lot of performance when playing game with a modded bios ?
(it's about a home computer mining when unused)

a modded bios is just a like overclocking with software
the 1500 strap moves the timing of the memory in closer
so all in all youll have better performance when gaming

great news, thank you for confirming that point !
Activity: 672
Do someone know if our modded gpus (1500 strap) are still efficient for gaming ? or do we loose lot of performance when playing game with a modded bios ?

This might be a stupid question, but if 1500-strapping improved both mining & gaming performance/efficiency, then why don't they come that way from the factory lol?  I mean, those 2 uses cover like 99% of uses for these high end GPUs, so why make customers jump through hoops to get the best performance?

its marketing
you dont make it perfect so you can sell a newer model for more money

also changing the timing does stress the gpu memory more. under normal loads like gaming it doesnt hurt the gpu as bad as mining

This might be a stupid question, but if 1500-strapping improved both mining & gaming performance/efficiency, then why don't they come that way from the factory lol?  I mean, those 2 uses cover like 99% of uses for these high end GPUs, so why make customers jump through hoops to get the best performance?
legendary
---- winter*juvia -----
Citronick , I have a question again : as your are a usual user of ethman , could tell me how is working the batch file that ethman launch if miner as a problem ?

The bat is called "sample" and include :
"@ECHO OFF

ECHO This is sample batch file that can do something useful if rig has problems
ECHO Rig name: %1
TIMEOUT /T 5"

I guess we have to modify it in order to get result but I don't know what I can put inside this bat ?
Any advice ?

If any of my rigs has issues, frankly I am not interested in the why and the details - I even turn the log file off - the last thing on my mind is investigating why it rebooted... because my farm is offsite, I just want the rig to be rebooted quickly. In Windows vs LINUX, it's not secret that Windows bloatware and memory leaks are usually the main culprit in stability and performance of a Windows environment. So reboot is the only way to clear memory stacks and get Windows to start fresh.

In Ethman, it can track how many times your rig rebooted since last Ethman launch. I only keep an eye on this counter. If I see too many reboots then I will babysit the particular rig and see what goes on with the log file turned on - anything out of the ordinary, I will just post and ask Claymore about it -- most likely a Claymore thing eventually rather than a Windows thing. Otherwise, I dont expect it to reboot at all. All my rigs can stay hashing online for very long time, ie. 2-3 weeks 24x7.

Some bad rigs constantly rebooting - usually are PSU, power, temperature, faulty riser issues... sometimes bad Crimson drivers .... or HW errors if you really unlucky...  so almost nothing to do with OS.

This reboot feature with watchdog is very key feature in Ethman - worth every cent in dev fee this Ethman.

- r 1 and reboot.bat with a single command line "shutdown /r /t 5 /f"

Please note you are using shutdown command where /r is reboot with 5 seconds countdown and /f force reboot

Extracted from Claymore's README file.
========================================================
-r   Restart miner mode. "-r 0" (default) - restart miner if something wrong with GPU. "-r -1" - disable automatic restarting. -r >20 - restart miner if something    wrong with GPU or by timer. For example, "-r 60" - restart miner every hour or when some GPU failed.
   "-r 1" closes miner and execute "reboot.bat" file ("reboot.bash" or "reboot.sh" for Linux version) in the miner directory (if exists) if some GPU failed.
   So you can create "reboot.bat" file and perform some actions, for example, reboot system if you put this line there: "shutdown /r /t 5 /f".
========================================================
Activity: 77
Merit: 0
Phil,

Does the Biostar Z170GT7 (or the Z170 chipset) support up to 4 GPUs or 4 physical graphics cards?
Most reports I read say you can't run 5 cards on this board. I have a 295x2 (dual-GPU) card, so wondering if I can stick 4 cards / 5 GPUs and get it to work on this board.

Appreciate any insight on this.

my last 2 card gpu was a power color red devil 7990  I had 3 of them  one was an rma the other two ran one card card in each one and one decent card.

the boards would see them as four cards  but they would use six slots vs eight slots.

so based on my hd 7990's I would say it won't work.

I have seen a few people say they get 5 cards to run on a z170.

I gave up trying.

now in your case if the board lets the dual run with 2 other cards  they would be a 4 card setup that uses 3 cards and  7 slots so it would be extra room for cooling.

I do not use the Z170. But I have some old MB such as ASrock H81/H61. I can run 4X7970 + 2X7990 or 4XR9 390 + 4X7990 without any problem. There are 8 GPU in total.

We know that older chipsets will more gpus, but  I would love to see a running example of   4x R9 390 with 4 x 7990   as that is 12 gpus not 8

4XR9 390 + 4X7990 was a typo He said 8 GPU in total.

I tried to run 9 GPU, but never succeed.
Activity: 672

Activity: 742
Phil and all,

I spent yesterday an hour reading on Pandaminer on Russian forum. Actually except size and complete integrated solution there are no advantages compared to GPU made rig.

They also noted that copper heat sinks are state-of-the-art.

Waiting to read your review!
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
Phil,

Does the Biostar Z170GT7 (or the Z170 chipset) support up to 4 GPUs or 4 physical graphics cards?
Most reports I read say you can't run 5 cards on this board. I have a 295x2 (dual-GPU) card, so wondering if I can stick 4 cards / 5 GPUs and get it to work on this board.

my last 2 card gpu was a power color red devil 7990  I had 3 of them  one was an rma the other two ran one card card in each one and one decent card.

the boards would see them as four cards  but they would use six slots vs eight slots.

I gave up trying.

now in your case if the board lets the dual run with 2 other cards  they would be a 4 card setup that uses 3 cards and  7 slots so it would be extra room for cooling.

I do not use the Z170. But I have some old MB such as ASrock H81/H61. I can run 4X7970 + 2X7990 or 4XR9 390 + 4X7990 without any problem. There are 8 GPU in total.

We know that older chipsets will more gpus, but  I would love to see a running example of   4x R9 390 with 4 x 7990   as that is 12 gpus not 8

Activity: 58
Merit: 0
Phil,

I gave up trying.

now in your case if the board lets the dual run with 2 other cards  they would be a 4 card setup that uses 3 cards and  7 slots so it would be extra room for cooling.

Pages:
Jump to: