Pages:
Author

Topic: My second ZEC + XMR+ ETH thread builds info links thoughts and photos. - page 92. (Read 147923 times)

Activity: 600
Merit: 261
FYI for those that may have missed it... MSI has extended their rebate offering that was originally only valid the last week of September throughout the end of October.

470's have a $15 rebate making the net cost only $185 and the 480's have a $20 rebate.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1006
Mine for a Bit
Not sure if this is related, but I found I need to toggle automatic/manual voltage control inside of watt-man in order to make some cards work at full hash rate. Not sure if the cards are getting too warm/outside the power budget or what is going on.

My cards will from from 29MH/s down to 7MH/s when they get into this funky state.

Been meaning to post this question for a while

yeah  i saw that issue.  7mh is a heat downclock.

4mh  is weirder    as it comes and goes , varies  board to board .  Sometimes I would need to mix cards about on the boards.  or move  the dvi display jack or load drivers

I had 6 MSI RX 470s and 5 would hash at 20mh and 1 would hash at 4mh.  I did not know what this was or how to fix it no matter what I did so, I returned the MSI RX 470s and am getting Sapphire RX 480s next week.  I am hoping that I do not see the same problem.

i had this issue when i didnt have the pcie lanes set too x1 in the bios. all of them were trying to run x16

I will try that!
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
Not sure if this is related, but I found I need to toggle automatic/manual voltage control inside of watt-man in order to make some cards work at full hash rate. Not sure if the cards are getting too warm/outside the power budget or what is going on.

My cards will from from 29MH/s down to 7MH/s when they get into this funky state.

4mh  is weirder    as it comes and goes , varies  board to board .  Sometimes I would need to mix cards about on the boards.  or move  the dvi display jack or load drivers

I had 6 MSI RX 470s and 5 would hash at 20mh and 1 would hash at 4mh.  I did not know what this was or how to fix it no matter what I did so, I returned the MSI RX 470s and am getting Sapphire RX 480s next week.  I am hoping that I do not see the same problem.

i had this issue when i didnt have the pcie lanes set too x1 in the bios. all of them were trying to run x16
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1006
Mine for a Bit

legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'

legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1059

i have an issue with reduced hashrate if my cpu is mining too...the solution is free a core, like 3 cores will mine and 1core is free..my miner is an old socket 775 with core2quad cpu so i don't know if newer rigs have this issue.
Activity: 615

legendary
Thanks Phil... much appreciated. I will be running 4-5 identical MSI RX 470 4GB on this ASRock x99 Extreme4 Mobo:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157543

okay  get all of them loaded.  and it should be 4 at 19-21mh  and one at 4mh

let me know if that is the bug.  That is how my bug would show up.  4 full and one at 4mh
Thanks Phil... much appreciated. I will be running 4-5 identical MSI RX 470 4GB on this ASRock x99 Extreme4 Mobo:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157543
legendary
Just wanted to update this thread on my rig status since Phil, Vapour and so many others have helped me immensely in getting this thing launched!

So, I finally got it all hooked up and started with 1 MSI 470 plugged into PCIe slot #1.  Since this is my first solo build of any kind, I half expected the thing to either blow up or not start on the first attempt, but to my amazement, it booted up fine... GPU lit up, all fans spinning, subsequent install of both W7 x64 and the MSI/AMD drivers went smoothly.

Downloaded MinerGate to start mining... starting out with this since that is what I have been using and want to make sure I get all the hardware working first before trying other miners and possibly tweaking the GPUs.

Many of you know that I originally had high expectations for CPU mining of XMR with the i7-6800k this system is built on. Well, the first results are lackluster to say the least. This CPU is only achieving about 250-260 H/s on XMR.  I realize that I can probably squeeze more out of it by using a better miner like Claymore, but just bench-marking to my old 2600k (140 H/s) using the same MinerGate software is disappointing. In fact, I would almost argue that on a "per thread basis", there is essentially no difference in these CPU, even though they are 6th gen vs 2nd gen.  The best performance with the 2600k is using 4 threads, resulting in about 35 H/s per thread.  The sweet spot on the 8600k appears to 7 threads, which makes sense given the 2MB of cache needed per for mining, since this CPU has 15MB of cache. So, this results in an essentially flat 36 H/s vs the 2600k. So, all in all, unless i can get a significant bump from using another CPU miner, I might end up re-purposing this CPU/Mobo to build a higher-end personal system down the road.

On the GPU side, my first try was to mine XMR with the 1 470 but for some reason, it was making the software buggy and actually crashed it a couple of times. So, i decided to leave the CPU on XMR and start the GPU on ETH.  After solving the DAG, it quickly leveled off at right around 19.4 Mh/s.  I know that most people are getting low to mid 20's with these GPUs but most since I'm using MingerGate at this point, I wasn't too shocked to be coming in around 15-20% below that average hash-rate.

So, I let it run like that overnight. Checked it this morning and was still running perfectly with no issues noted. So, this afternoon, I added a 2nd 470.  On the first attempt, I plugged it into slot #2, which is a PCIe2 x16/x4 slot, via USB powered x1-x16 riser. Install went fine, GPU lit up and showed up in the device mgr along with the other GPU in slot #1.  The weird thing though was that after starting this 2nd GPU on ETH via MinerGate, it was only getting 4 Mh/s.  Tried rebooting and same result. Powered off and plugged the riser into slot #1 (2nd full x16 slot). Powered on and GPU#2 was getting pretty much the exact 19.4 Mh/s GPU#1 was getting.

So, that's how I have it running now.  I have 2 more USB powered risers due to arrive tomorrow or Tuesday, at which time I will attempt to install my 3rd and 4th 470's.  The one thing I'm now a bit worried about is the fact that slot #2 only provided about 25% of the hash-rate as slot 1 & 3. I certainly expect slot #5 (full x16) to work fine via riser, but not sure why slot #2 had that issue... which makes me worry that slot #4 (x1 slot) could also have that problem. Is it possible that all PCIe3 x16 slots have to be occupied before the other 2 slots can achieve full bandwidth/power?  Seems weird to me but something in the Mobo's manual does lead me to believe this might be possible.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone! It's a great feeling to finally be up and running!
legendary
I was too lazy to install Win7

i have all my rigs on 80gb cheap HDD's, all are cloned (i have reserves). so i just swap HDD when it is the problem.

the hdd with problems are files system checked and bad sector checked, if something is corrupted they will be cloned with a trouble free HDD and become a reserve HDD again.

This dude modded the EthOS with Claymore Dual Miner and also Nicehash CPU miner - can run simultaneously - talk about queezing the every hash out of the rig. Link: http://adrian.ihacks.ro/modding-ethos/

I also cloned my boot SSDs - I have W10, W8.1 and W7 clones - funny that all of them are still "behaving" - I will dread that moment when all or some of them will give an error about ....

My long term strategy is Linux on thumdrive variant, like this cleaverly modded EthOS - I hate those SSD cables in addition to PCI risers - wasted hundreds of hours of my time on earth. The M2 SSD is also a great boot drive - nice and permanent. I like this Biostar mobo - cheap and good.

that's great and beautiful..i'll put that in mind..but spending about 5$ on my HDD's is irresistible, served me for two years and counting.

my mid/long term strategy is adding or moving to DDR3 boards with 4-5 pcie ...my mining rigs are all socket 775 DDR2 boards with 4 pcie...i spend more or less 100$ for board/cpu/ram/hdd per rig.

i'm mining pascal coin for cpu hashes and claymore miner for gpu's.

yup DDR3 is more than enough for mining, and just need decent Celeron for CPU.

What mobo do you use - 4/5 PCIs, DDR3s are at least circa 3-4 years?

since i owned a p45 board and Q9550 cpu in 2009 ... this p35 board must have been released in 2007-2008 time frame, bought from surplus store, this board is mining for me for more than 2 years now..the CPU's are x3220 (the same as Q6600)

board - 23$
CPU - 17$
HDD - 5$
RAM - 18$ (2x 2gb, 9$ a piece)

plus shipping cost, and some parts might be a little bit more expensive when bought at different person/store, the Q8400 is a bit more expensive than x3220.. as much as possible, i make it under 100$...that's the price of just one m2 ssd drive  Cheesy

this board would be in 8-9 years in age
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/P35_Neo2FR__FIR.html#hero-overview

4-5 pcie DDR3 boards would have been high end in their time...it will make them at least 4-5 years old.
like this
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4122#ov

DDR3 boards are just starting to hit surplus stores and high end models might appear soon..
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----

i have all my rigs on 80gb cheap HDD's, all are cloned (i have reserves). so i just swap HDD when it is the problem.

the hdd with problems are files system checked and bad sector checked, if something is corrupted they will be cloned with a trouble free HDD and become a reserve HDD again.

This dude modded the EthOS with Claymore Dual Miner and also Nicehash CPU miner - can run simultaneously - talk about queezing the every hash out of the rig. Link: http://adrian.ihacks.ro/modding-ethos/

I also cloned my boot SSDs - I have W10, W8.1 and W7 clones - funny that all of them are still "behaving" - I will dread that moment when all or some of them will give an error about ....

My long term strategy is Linux on thumdrive variant, like this cleaverly modded EthOS - I hate those SSD cables in addition to PCI risers - wasted hundreds of hours of my time on earth. The M2 SSD is also a great boot drive - nice and permanent. I like this Biostar mobo - cheap and good.

that's great and beautiful..i'll put that in mind..but spending about 5$ on my HDD's is irresistible, served me for two years and counting.

my mid/long term strategy is adding or moving to DDR3 boards with 4-5 pcie ...my mining rigs are all socket 775 DDR2 boards with 4 pcie...i spend more or less 100$ for board/cpu/ram/hdd per rig.

yup DDR3 is more than enough for mining, and just need decent Celeron for CPU.

What mobo do you use - 4/5 PCIs, DDR3s are at least circa 3-4 years?
legendary

legendary
---- winter*juvia -----
I hope next May first.  I can run my gear all fall and winter that way.
etc and xmr are right behind eth even exp is getting some love so if it does happen before then we have options

You, me, and a bunch of other miners... That's going to be the issue!   Tongue

there will be plenty of coins to mine.... its all about the MHs or GHs  Grin
legendary
---- winter*juvia -----

legendary

legendary
---- winter*juvia -----
I heard rumours about Nov 17 ?

after the DOA mess, early 2017 to late 2017 is reasonable...by then I hope XMR will mature with a GUI wallet hopefully and POW forever... then we get to recycle the ETH rigs. Cryptonight algorithm seems to be less taxing on the memory controller and this will also generate heat less, not so power hungry.
legendary
---- winter*juvia -----
My 1st Biostar Z170 Racing 4 GPU rig using R9 Nanos - thanks Philip for introducing this gem of a motherboard.

I was too lazy to install Win7, so I just used an old copy of EthOS which I purchased many months ago but never got to use it because after going Claymore Dual miner.... never looked back.

The EthOS is live on thumbdrive and I didnt get to use the M2-SSD that I bought together with the mobo. Will use it when I get some energy to install W7.

Activity: 615
I hope next May first.  I can run my gear all fall and winter that way.
etc and xmr are right behind eth even exp is getting some love so if it does happen before then we have options

You, me, and a bunch of other miners... That's going to be the issue!   Tongue
Pages:
Jump to: