Pages:
Author

Topic: My second ZEC + XMR+ ETH thread builds info links thoughts and photos. - page 93. (Read 147923 times)

Activity: 672
Merit: 500
I hope next May first.  I can run my gear all fall and winter that way.
etc and xmr are right behind eth even exp is getting some love so if it does happen before then we have options
Activity: 687
Merit: 502
I heard rumours about Nov 17 ?
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
I hope next May first.  I can run my gear all fall and winter that way.
Activity: 672
So when is Ethereum going Proof of Stake (PoS)?  Is there a timeline?  Is there a countdown clock, similar to the halving clocks for BTC?  
i read on the main website it said 2017 but that was months ago
Activity: 615
So when is Ethereum going Proof of Stake (PoS)?  Is there a timeline?  Is there a countdown clock, similar to the halving clocks for BTC?  
legendary
Whats your wait time for a block? Seems to me if you have less than 500 MHs its not worth it to mine on the ethpool all-or-nothing payout system.

I could write something nasty  but the    the truth is it is not all or nothing.  It simply adds your hash marks up and when you did enough points that you should hit a block it gives you the next block. Frankly if you are getting a block every 40 to 50 hours time after time and once in a while you get a bonus uncle it pays better then any other pool.
  If you have 200 mh it takes about 5 or 6 days

Not sure why you would write something nasty when I just asking why you preferred that pool over a "little bit everyday" as opposed to a "nothing for days then a big chunk". Of course your answers explains it well enough.

I was mining on that pool with my small rig, but waiting 20 days for a payout was just not doable  Cheesy Cheesy

That is why I was not nasty I thought you may have a small rig as
 under 60 mh does take close to 20 days for payment.  Which is close to the all or nothing you mentioned.

If the wait is over a week I would use ethminer over ethpool.

But I do like to watch the miner march up to the top.  Always with the chance of an uncle.
I now sold off nine gpus and went from 630mh to 420mh so I will need a little more time then two days to get to the top.

and right on que  I get a bonus block this is why I like ethpool.org  getting these every once in a while are nice.

legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3614
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

the cards may draw up to 75 watts per molex, so two would be 150 watts per string. this is generally what is considered the max for a string. so 4 cards, two per string with the molex connectors. for more cards you can use a sata to molex adapter but again only two per sata string.

The other thing that I was wondering about was the 8 pin (6+2) power cables that plug into the top of the GPU's. For instance, I know that I certainly need to connect this 8-pin to my on-board GPU in slot #1. But, will the other 3-4 GPU's connected via the USB x1 to x16 adapters also need this 8-pin power connected?  If both these and the molex are required for each of the off-board GPU's, will this increase to total power draw per card by a considerable amount?

I run one card per string using molex directly connected to the riser, no sata connector between because they tend to get hot and melt. My cables dont even get hot this way.
I do this on my 470s + 480s rigs.

one per string and direct molex to adapter is certainly the best option but its hard to find psus with 4 or more strings of molex, or else im not looking hard enough. biggest i have is a evga gs 850. maybe 1000 watt or above psus?

or maybe 2 - 3 cards direct to mobo and 2 or more via adapters to x1 slots.
Custom roms should give you a nice boost to around 480Mhs, thats alot of pretty much free hashrate.
My 16 cards are doing 465Mhs @ ~2900w

I don't like to push my cards that hard.

I think stock settings are safer.  But I guess overclock could be okay since the cards have warranty.
The thing is that i dont think the cards are pushed that much harder.
My 470s have fans set at 55% holding around 70 degrees celcius @ 27.5Mhs (Mem oc to around 1950Mhz)
Warranty is no problem, i have got several gpus replaced after sending them in with custom bios onboard trough the years.
My rig is rock solid and have been going for over a month now with custom roms. More 470s on the way, will stop at 20 cards in total/580Mhs

What is the brand of 470s do you have?  How did you OC them?  I am getting 20Mhs with my MSI RX 470s.
I run Sapphire RX 470 4GB Reference with backplate, the cheapest one. (custom rom with 1500 strap timings)
Using wattman to oc mem, all the rest default.

I did want to clarify something you mentioned before about the 4-pin molex/2-per string comment. I just inventoried the cables that were included with my PSU and I have 2 with molex connectors... 1 has 3 and the 2nd has 2.  So, what you were saying is to ONLY use a max of 2 per string, correct?  This should work fine since I will at max have 4 off-board cards, so I will just leave the 3rd molex empty on the cable that has 3.

the cards may draw up to 75 watts per molex, so two would be 150 watts per string. this is generally what is considered the max for a string. so 4 cards, two per string with the molex connectors. for more cards you can use a sata to molex adapter but again only two per sata string.

The other thing that I was wondering about was the 8 pin (6+2) power cables that plug into the top of the GPU's. For instance, I know that I certainly need to connect this 8-pin to my on-board GPU in slot #1. But, will the other 3-4 GPU's connected via the USB x1 to x16 adapters also need this 8-pin power connected?  If both these and the molex are required for each of the off-board GPU's, will this increase to total power draw per card by a considerable amount?

each card needs the molex and all 6+2 sockets filled.

some motherboards also have a molex socket on the motherboard, probably near the slots (gives more power for the slots) but i dont think your motherboard has one.
I run one card per string using molex directly connected to the riser, no sata connector between because they tend to get hot and melt. My cables dont even get hot this way.
I do this on my 470s + 480s rigs.

Powerdraw from the wall with custom bios:

470 4GB ref @ 27.5Mhs 145w
480 8GB ref @ 30.5Mhs 170w
legendary
I did want to clarify something you mentioned before about the 4-pin molex/2-per string comment. I just inventoried the cables that were included with my PSU and I have 2 with molex connectors... 1 has 3 and the 2nd has 2.  So, what you were saying is to ONLY use a max of 2 per string, correct?  This should work fine since I will at max have 4 off-board cards, so I will just leave the 3rd molex empty on the cable that has 3.

The other thing that I was wondering about was the 8 pin (6+2) power cables that plug into the top of the GPU's. For instance, I know that I certainly need to connect this 8-pin to my on-board GPU in slot #1. But, will the other 3-4 GPU's connected via the USB x1 to x16 adapters also need this 8-pin power connected?  If both these and the molex are required for each of the off-board GPU's, will this increase to total power draw per card by a considerable amount?

each card needs the molex and all 6+2 sockets filled.

some motherboards also have a molex socket on the motherboard, probably near the slots (gives more power for the slots) but i dont think your motherboard has one.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1006
Mine for a Bit
Custom roms should give you a nice boost to around 480Mhs, thats alot of pretty much free hashrate.

I think stock settings are safer.  But I guess overclock could be okay since the cards have warranty.
My 470s have fans set at 55% holding around 70 degrees celcius @ 27.5Mhs (Mem oc to around 1950Mhz)
Warranty is no problem, i have got several gpus replaced after sending them in with custom bios onboard trough the years.
My rig is rock solid and have been going for over a month now with custom roms. More 470s on the way, will stop at 20 cards in total/580Mhs

What is the brand of 470s do you have?  How did you OC them?  I am getting 20Mhs with my MSI RX 470s.

I think stock settings are safer.  But I guess overclock could be okay since the cards have warranty.
legendary

legendary
Divesting already?! Weren't you just building last week? Consolidating rigs?

yeah I can not run 28 cards just too hot.

i now have  four 4 card rigs = 16 cards + one   3 card rigs  = 19 cards doing about 425mh vs 28 cards and 622mh

Activity: 600
Merit: 261
thanks again Vapour. I just ordered 3 more of those so should be able to get my rig going with 2 GPU's this weekend and add 2 more after Monday.

I did want to clarify something you mentioned before about the 4-pin molex/2-per string comment. I just inventoried the cables that were included with my PSU and I have 2 with molex connectors... 1 has 3 and the 2nd has 2.  So, what you were saying is to ONLY use a max of 2 per string, correct?  This should work fine since I will at max have 4 off-board cards, so I will just leave the 3rd molex empty on the cable that has 3.

Thanks again for enduring these noob questions :-)
Activity: 615
Divesting already?! Weren't you just building last week? Consolidating rigs?
legendary
Whats your wait time for a block? Seems to me if you have less than 500 MHs its not worth it to mine on the ethpool all-or-nothing payout system.

I could write something nasty  but the    the truth is it is not all or nothing.  It simply adds your hash marks up and when you did enough points that you should hit a block it gives you the next block. Frankly if you are getting a block every 40 to 50 hours time after time and once in a while you get a bonus uncle it pays better then any other pool.
  If you have 200 mh it takes about 5 or 6 days

Not sure why you would write something nasty when I just asking why you preferred that pool over a "little bit everyday" as opposed to a "nothing for days then a big chunk". Of course your answers explains it well enough.

I was mining on that pool with my small rig, but waiting 20 days for a payout was just not doable  Cheesy Cheesy

That is why I was not nasty I thought you may have a small rig as
 under 60 mh does take close to 20 days for payment.  Which is close to the all or nothing you mentioned.

If the wait is over a week I would use ethminer over ethpool.

But I do like to watch the miner march up to the top.  Always with the chance of an uncle.
I now sold off nine gpus and went from 630mh to 420mh so I will need a little more time then two days to get to the top.
legendary
yup, use more x1 to x16 adapters in your x16 slots. a x8 in a x16 will work also.
Activity: 600
Merit: 261
ahhhh! light bulb moment lol!  So, i can just use 3 more of the x1 to x16 USB-powered I currently have plugged into my one 1x slot for my additional 3 x16 slots?  I guess if this is the case, that x8 to 16x ribbon i got could technically work at least... but i still have the problem of it being too short to reach the side of my rig, so I will just order 3 more of those x1 to x16 USB.  Thanks again for the help!
legendary

So, can anyone recommend a good x16 to x16 USB powered adapter/riser?

for mining you dont need a x16 to x16, you can plug a x1 to a x16 with no performance loss. mining takes very little bandwidth and one pcie lane is all you need.
Pages:
Jump to: