Pages:
Author

Topic: My second ZEC + XMR+ ETH thread builds info links thoughts and photos. - page 88. (Read 147923 times)

legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
Activity: 600
Merit: 261
Thanks but I think I may have mis-worded something.  It is not that I cannot get a driver installed. In fact, i was able to "update" from v16.30 (installed a few weeks ago via the MSI DVD that came with my 470's) to v16.40 without any problem.  What I don't get is how the download from AMD that is labelled everywhere as Crimson 16.9.2 can install an old driver version??  

Also, yes I am on Windows 7 Pro x64 and I believe I already did a clean install... meaning, I uninstalled v16.30 prior to installing what should have been v16.9.2... but ended up being 16.40.

About the -ethi command in CDM... not sure what you mean by making the change in the config file. I looked at all the contents of the config file and this is mostly a repeat of things that I already changed in the .bat file.  There is nothing in there at all containing "-ethi"...  but, are you saying that this command should be ADDED to this file?

something like this maybe?

-ethi 16
#-epool us1.ethpool.org:3333
#-ewal 0xD69af2A796A737A103F12d2f0BCC563a13900E6F
#-epsw x
#-dpool stratum+tcp://yiimp.ccminer.org:4252
#-dwal DsUt9QagrYLvSkJHXCvhfiZHKafVtzd7Sq4
#-dpsw x
#-esm 1
#-mode 0
#-tt 70
legendary
To upgrade your gpu from 20.5 to 23.5mh here is the youtube video to step you right through it.  Download the latest driver first just like Citronic said Crimson 16.9.2 then, I did each card one at a time in the slot that they would be placed.  Here is the video:

https://youtu.be/OP_zSP2H6ho

Thanks Aries! I actually had just found that video a few minutes before you posted it. I had been watching some other vids from that same guy and stumbled across that one. Will definitely give that mod a shot after I get everything else squared away. That extra 5 per card is going to equate to a full extra card on my 5-card rig.  Did you notice any extra power efficiency from that mod as well? Or would something else need to be employed to accomplish that?

In addition, can you share how you got these GPUs running at 23.5?  I have 3 of the exact same cards and they are getting 20.7 each using Claymore 7.2.  This is similar to the initial 20.5 you mentioned being the out of the box speed, but I am looking for the easiest way to increase the speed of mine up to the mid-20's like yours.  Was it something you did in the settings in Claymore or did you mod/overcloud the cards in some way?

This may be a good start.  The premise is the same.  Use polaris bios editor to tweak the memory settings.  There are additional tweaks you can make, but you run the risk of hosing your card.

Make sure you back up the original via GPUz, so you can always go back !

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.16426507

without rom modding, you can try this.
1. - ethi 16 (maximum ETH hashing using CDM)
2. Crimson 16.9.2

with rom mods:
At present, all my RX480 rigs are zapped with Heliox rom mods the lowpower29mhs version with 16.9.2, stable for weeks at 29.5-29.7MHs. In GPUZ, watts per card is 90s but actual should be more than this but definitely better than 150w. I can run 6 x 480s using a 1300w easily (1000w PSU can do the job).

Thanks Citronik!  I looked up that -ethi command in the CDM readme file and understand that it is set at a default of 8, so hoping that uping that will indeed increase the speed.  The thing is, I cannot figure out how to enter that command. I was thinking that it is just typed directly into the command window where CDM is running. But, when i try that by starting with the "-", it actually decreases the DCR hash-rate. I also found out the the "+" increases DCR hash-rate and even bumping it from default 30 to 32 does increase hash-rate about 10%, which is encouraging.

But... how do I get that -ethi command to take?  I even tried pasting it in but it did not work either.

On the driver update, I simply am baffled lol.  I downloaded the exact packet i needed directly from the AMD site... actually has Crimson 16.9.2 in the title, as well as in the header when I launch the installer.  I triple checked and made sure that I downloaded the correct version for W7 x64, but after installing the display driver in this packet, my driver now only shows as v16.40.  Not sure how this is possible or how to actually get 16.9.2.  I ran as Admin and even uninstalled the v16.30 that was on my box before this, but to no avail.

Any suggestions on how to get 16.9.2 installed?

okay answer for the first part.. i have found that using the cmd line to do settings gets buggie and doesnt always take so i use the config file for all the commands

second part. i had to pull all of my cards but one to get the driver to install completely and correctly. i also did a clean install of the driver too.

I'm guessing it is windows your installing it on ? .

yup do a clean install that all most all ways fixes any windows issue I'm having unless i have bad hard ware or hardware is going bad , after you install it find out what windows services you need on, no matter what, turn off the rest and update windows let it install any and all drivers for your cards, don't uninstall those base drivers so Ive found out, just upgrade to the new ones from AMD site then turn off windows update and you may or may not have to turn stuff off or on, on your motherboard via the Mbios.
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
To upgrade your gpu from 20.5 to 23.5mh here is the youtube video to step you right through it.  Download the latest driver first just like Citronic said Crimson 16.9.2 then, I did each card one at a time in the slot that they would be placed.  Here is the video:

Thanks Aries! I actually had just found that video a few minutes before you posted it. I had been watching some other vids from that same guy and stumbled across that one. Will definitely give that mod a shot after I get everything else squared away. That extra 5 per card is going to equate to a full extra card on my 5-card rig.  Did you notice any extra power efficiency from that mod as well? Or would something else need to be employed to accomplish that?

In addition, can you share how you got these GPUs running at 23.5?  I have 3 of the exact same cards and they are getting 20.7 each using Claymore 7.2.  This is similar to the initial 20.5 you mentioned being the out of the box speed, but I am looking for the easiest way to increase the speed of mine up to the mid-20's like yours.  Was it something you did in the settings in Claymore or did you mod/overcloud the cards in some way?

This may be a good start.  The premise is the same.  Use polaris bios editor to tweak the memory settings.  There are additional tweaks you can make, but you run the risk of hosing your card.

2. Crimson 16.9.2

with rom mods:
At present, all my RX480 rigs are zapped with Heliox rom mods the lowpower29mhs version with 16.9.2, stable for weeks at 29.5-29.7MHs. In GPUZ, watts per card is 90s but actual should be more than this but definitely better than 150w. I can run 6 x 480s using a 1300w easily (1000w PSU can do the job).

Thanks Citronik!  I looked up that -ethi command in the CDM readme file and understand that it is set at a default of 8, so hoping that uping that will indeed increase the speed.  The thing is, I cannot figure out how to enter that command. I was thinking that it is just typed directly into the command window where CDM is running. But, when i try that by starting with the "-", it actually decreases the DCR hash-rate. I also found out the the "+" increases DCR hash-rate and even bumping it from default 30 to 32 does increase hash-rate about 10%, which is encouraging.

But... how do I get that -ethi command to take?  I even tried pasting it in but it did not work either.

On the driver update, I simply am baffled lol.  I downloaded the exact packet i needed directly from the AMD site... actually has Crimson 16.9.2 in the title, as well as in the header when I launch the installer.  I triple checked and made sure that I downloaded the correct version for W7 x64, but after installing the display driver in this packet, my driver now only shows as v16.40.  Not sure how this is possible or how to actually get 16.9.2.  I ran as Admin and even uninstalled the v16.30 that was on my box before this, but to no avail.

okay answer for the first part.. i have found that using the cmd line to do settings gets buggie and doesnt always take so i use the config file for all the commands

second part. i had to pull all of my cards but one to get the driver to install completely and correctly. i also did a clean install of the driver too.
Activity: 600
Merit: 261

2. Crimson 16.9.2

with rom mods:

legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005
I flipped the config from Onboard (don't remember the exact name to represent the onboard video card) to PCI Express.

I can see the Bios boot up UI but after that, i got signal but no video. I tried to plug only one card into the 16x Slot but I got the same result.

I had to flip the setting back to onboard card to be able to boot win again.

EDIT: it was working with one card previously but the card was directly plugged into the mainboard (that is why i was wondering if I needed a full 16x to 16 riser)

For all of my H81's I use onboard video, so I don't think that is an issue (but with the Anniversary I had to go to the GPU).  I also run Win10 without running any special mods, I basically do a clean install, install the drivers for the H81, and then the latest ATI/Claymore.  In the instances where I did have an issue with the boards, it typically was power-related, so you might want to doublecheck your risers, etc.

And on the Win10 licenses, I don't buy any - it mines fine without a license, and I just disable automatic updated with gpedit.  There aren't any legit licenses for Win10 that aren't in the $100 range - if so you're just paying for pirates stuff (like a shared key, etc), don't bother.

Thanks for info.

I have an extra riser, i will try that

So, I plugged another card into the slot 6 (which was the card in problem in win 7) with the card 5. Everything works fine ... I unplugged card 5 and card 6 is working.

So it's a win 7 problem.

Will work on that ...

EDIt: All my riser are powered by a single PCI-E cable ... do I still need to plug the molex on the MB ?

EDIT: Not sure what to do next except to switch to win 10 ... I use Claymore 16.9.1. with the 6 GPU mod ... I got 7 GPU in fact with the onboard card. So i don't know... So close but so far !
legendary
I flipped the config from Onboard (don't remember the exact name to represent the onboard video card) to PCI Express.

I can see the Bios boot up UI but after that, i got signal but no video. I tried to plug only one card into the 16x Slot but I got the same result.

EDIT: it was working with one card previously but the card was directly plugged into the mainboard (that is why i was wondering if I needed a full 16x to 16 riser)

For all of my H81's I use onboard video, so I don't think that is an issue (but with the Anniversary I had to go to the GPU).  I also run Win10 without running any special mods, I basically do a clean install, install the drivers for the H81, and then the latest ATI/Claymore.  In the instances where I did have an issue with the boards, it typically was power-related, so you might want to doublecheck your risers, etc.

And on the Win10 licenses, I don't buy any - it mines fine without a license, and I just disable automatic updated with gpedit.  There aren't any legit licenses for Win10 that aren't in the $100 range - if so you're just paying for pirates stuff (like a shared key, etc), don't bother.

Thanks for info.

I have an extra riser, i will try that
Activity: 687
Merit: 511

For all of my H81's I use onboard video, so I don't think that is an issue (but with the Anniversary I had to go to the GPU).  I also run Win10 without running any special mods, I basically do a clean install, install the drivers for the H81, and then the latest ATI/Claymore.  In the instances where I did have an issue with the boards, it typically was power-related, so you might want to doublecheck your risers, etc.

And on the Win10 licenses, I don't buy any - it mines fine without a license, and I just disable automatic updated with gpedit.  There aren't any legit licenses for Win10 that aren't in the $100 range - if so you're just paying for pirates stuff (like a shared key, etc), don't bother.
legendary
Sooooooooooo, I modded my Win 7 to get all 6 card working. Now i'm stuck at 5 with one with the error code 43. (H81 BTC PRO)

I'm using the onboard video card to boot the pc and i think it might take the last spot...

I tried to deactivate the video card on board and plug only 1 card into the 16x connector with a riser BUT the riser is a 1X-16x ... I see the Bios but that's it. It won't boot.

Do i need a 16x to 16x to be able to bypass the onboard video card or I should be able to use the onboard + my 6 cards ?

Thanks

Herb

Did you tried switching from the CPU video chip to the VGA/HDMI system of one of your cards ? You can do it in the BIOS menu. I think it is what you need here from what I've understood.

EDIT2: Using Claymore 16.9.1
legendary
Sooooooooooo, I modded my Win 7 to get all 6 card working. Now i'm stuck at 5 with one with the error code 43. (H81 BTC PRO)

I'm using the onboard video card to boot the pc and i think it might take the last spot...

I tried to deactivate the video card on board and plug only 1 card into the 16x connector with a riser BUT the riser is a 1X-16x ... I see the Bios but that's it. It won't boot.

Do i need a 16x to 16x to be able to bypass the onboard video card or I should be able to use the onboard + my 6 cards ?

Thanks

Herb

have you tried the 6xGPU Registry hack?

https://lbr.id.lv/6xgpu_mod/6xGPU_mod.html

Yeah I did that, I went from 4 card to 5. So i think the mod did work
legendary

The copy of 1 of Win 10 PRO OEM DVD 64 BIT ENGLISH [ASIN: B01JM7NA76]  is not available anymore that I can find on Amazon.

Here is the pic of the Rig in the dark.  I moved it to the back of the basement and am building another one.

you can take it up to 26 mh  using that video with afterburner, plus use this bios https://15254b2dcaab7f5478ab-24461f391e20b7336331d5789078af53.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/ethereum.vanillaforums.com/editor/k1/lk2iyc9ugprm.zip and copy over setting from it Smiley. go to 27 mh all most 28 per card with out using after burner .

i didn't flash his bios i used his setting then flashed mine back with new settings.I'm using windows 10 LSTB with Crimson 16.9.2 .

bios source: https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/9533/28mh-470oc-nitro-4gb-boysie-rom-dual-mining
Activity: 756
Merit: 502

Thanks

Herb

Did you tried switching from the CPU video chip to the VGA/HDMI system of one of your cards ? You can do it in the BIOS menu. I think it is what you need here from what I've understood.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----

Thanks

Herb

have you tried the 6xGPU Registry hack?

https://lbr.id.lv/6xgpu_mod/6xGPU_mod.html

legendary
Nice rig Aries - love those black and red MSI stripes - take a photo with lights off, you could see that MSI dragon badge..

BTW, where in Amazon can you buy Win10 for 25 bucks?

Yeah nice rig !

Way cheaper then mine to build the case.
legendary

Thanks

Herb
I will keep track what's the daily BTC from this rig, and build a P&L analysis, if I convert the whole farm to sell hash instead of mining.

Awesome!  I look forward to hearing it's results - I have a bit over half of your setup across 12 machines... The biggest thing I don't like about nicehash is that it isn't using claymore, which I really like it's ability to tune performance and lock in a temperature.  Isn't an issue right now, but when it gets hot, it's nice to have that extra layer of protection.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----
good looking rig using the 911 watts is decent. for 140 mh.

I was looking at eth coin prices down to .0199 btc

I am glad my power bill has switched to winter rates.

the difficulty also went even higher.... it takes longer now to get 5 coins payment from ethpool.org...

I am tempted to switch a rig or two to Nicehash windows miner and let it sell hash to the most profitable coin automatically... I get BTC directly from Nicehash too..

do you think its a good idea Phil?

Please remind me how many rigs and how many mh do you have?

If you have 10 rigs and 1000mh

or more you should try it.

I think you have more then that if I recall correctly.

I manage around 3.8GHs on ethpool.org spread across 28 rigs. Only 6 rigs are my own. The rest, I am getting paid to babysit for an investor. Total GPUs = 135 (290, 290x, 370, 390, Nanos and 480)

Forum members have shared with me that I will make more with "selling hash" than having to guess all the time which coin is profitable etc. saving the whitehair - however I haven't done the evaluation myself, so I deliberated on this project... until now, because it takes now almost "90K+" credits to get 5 x ETH coins.... when I first started ETH mining back in January, 20k credits gets you 5 x coins.... the difficulty has gone up 4x, meanwhile some altcoins based on algos like Lyra2REv2, Blake256vnl, Keccak, Cryptonight consistently post "1000-2000%" profitability when you sell your hash to "buyers" in Nicehash trading market.

Since most of us here are AMD centric GPU rigs - Nicehash basically does the upkeep on latest mining software and get them wrapped into their slick windows profit auto-swicthing miner.

I will start a benchmark and run one 6 x Sapphire 480 8GB rig to mine Nicehash Windows miner version 1.7.2.
https://github.com/nicehash/NiceHashMiner/releases
https://www.nicehash.com/index.jsp?p=nhmintro

I will keep track what's the daily BTC from this rig, and build a P&L analysis, if I convert the whole farm to sell hash instead of mining.

Stay tuned.

I like Nicehash, but when the coins are relatively stable and Ethereum dominates the return have you found much value in using them?  The convenience of autoconverting to BTC is great, but last time I ran the numbers it was roughly 10% over what I could do with ethpool + poloniex.
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
good looking rig using the 911 watts is decent. for 140 mh.

I was looking at eth coin prices down to .0199 btc

I am glad my power bill has switched to winter rates.

the difficulty also went even higher.... it takes longer now to get 5 coins payment from ethpool.org...

I am tempted to switch a rig or two to Nicehash windows miner and let it sell hash to the most profitable coin automatically... I get BTC directly from Nicehash too..

do you think its a good idea Phil?

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

How you can do it?
Pages:
Jump to: