Pages:
Author

Topic: Mybitcoin is a scam! - page 2. (Read 24616 times)

legendary
Activity: 1658
Merit: 1001
July 30, 2011, 01:54:42 PM
weekend, server crashes, company off for weekend, check back on Monday.
Activity: 62
Merit: 0
July 30, 2011, 01:44:16 PM
maybe... but I hope it goes online one last time.. so I can get my 1 BTC out of there...
Activity: 62
July 30, 2011, 12:54:00 PM
Seems mybitcoin.com isn't online.
yes.. thats disturbing... I really should have stopped using them...
Activity: 560
Merit: 500
July 29, 2011, 10:52:16 PM
Seems mybitcoin.com isn't online.
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
July 29, 2011, 10:17:47 PM
They take their depositors money.  Call them whatever you want.
donator
Activity: 296
July 29, 2011, 07:54:19 PM
Alright, I'll make it official. Mybitcoin is not a company to do business with. Avoid them at all costs.

Over a week ago my login credentials didn't work. Only at that time did I realize that mybitcoin has no way to recover passwords.  I found previous threads where people had trouble with mybitcoin (duh) and tried the email under whois ([email protected]) which didn't work. I created a second account to send a message about my first account, but now, days later, still no response.

Please also avoid their banner ad company, Link2voip, also. Nothing against them, but maybe if Link2voip feels a little shun they will pressure mybitcoin to come clean.

Mybitcoin's behavior is a little confusing because they apparently were, at one time, a good service.  They have put a considerable effort into their site, they seem to have ambitions to expand as a bitcoin business, and their proprietor, Mr Williams, came forth and acted all CEOish during the recent Mt Gox debacle.

Unfortunately, new users are often being steered into their clutches. Bitcoinme.com pretty much tells new users to put their coins into Mybitcoin:

Check out a better image at:

http://bitcoinme.com/index.php/buy/

I have asked Bruce Wagner of bitcoinme.com to stop promoting them and he said he would, but we'll see. I am on a campaign to get the truth out about mybitcoin.  If they come clean I will be the first to announce it.  If you have any helpful information or have a similar story to tell I hope you will include it here.

Thanks for your attention.

I don't really think they are a scam, but their support can be slow and unresponsive sometimes. I can say however that link2voip is a reputable company. I used to have a hosted PBX with them for my business Smiley.
Activity: 700
July 29, 2011, 07:19:28 PM
any news on mb being down?  Huh Shocked
Activity: 448
Merit: 251
Bitcoin
July 15, 2011, 04:30:50 PM
Again, Flexcoin.com is Ponzi game. You'd better not join the game unless you're sure that you're the earlist one or the owner of the flexcoin is your fucking boy and will share with his profit with you after he runs to Mexico from U.S. where he claimed be. Or he is in Mexico now, who knows?

We're in Pennsylvania... not Mexico.....  you're saying we're a scam because we're paying the account holders interest from what we sell in Ads and Mining?   Last I heard that's not how a Ponzi scheme is run....  unless you have a creative definition of it..  We'd love to hear how someone that isn't educated enough on the  topic discuss it... we need good laughs....  the chances are you don't even have an invite (very few people do) for Flexcoin... so you are not educated enough on Flexcoin to make any assumptions.

Your statement at best is sophomoric...  and at worse it's just liable.   

"we need good laughs..." is not the words I want to hear coming from my banker.

I found it funny....  Smiley   The end result is that I'm here and I respond to questions... 
Activity: 57
July 15, 2011, 06:48:32 AM
UPDATE: No response on the messaging system from my inquiry. Time to start an official investigation.

First I'll use the PO box and supposed name of the spokesperson for the site and see if I can't find any public records that might match.

This might end in me flying to West Indies, but we might find out the owner is dead. Does anyone else ever think of these things?

Please continue to update us on your findings.  Certainly seems like it's a one man operation and the owner is AWOL. 

I'm also waiting for a response about some missing bitcoins..a small amount, but I'd rather get them back than let them disappear into the void Cheesy
Activity: 322
July 15, 2011, 03:02:16 AM
I've gotten free bitcoins in my eWallet in their site.  It was surely weird, I know sometimes coins get lost "in the void" and I guess that they actually end up in other people's accounts.

I don't know where the funds came from, it just says P2P in the history.  It wasn't a lot, all together it was 0.26 btc.  I don't like ewallets, especially this site, because when it's down for maintenance, I'm at their mercy, and can't access MY coins until the site is back up. So I pulled out weeks ago.
Activity: 96
Merit: 10
NOW
July 14, 2011, 08:57:55 AM
I lost 0.5 BTC to them during an autopay when they went down on the 3rd.  I emailed and received no response so far.  FFS it's only 0.5 BTC, but it's my 1/2 coin not theirs. 

I will be patient, but I will not send any more coins to them until this is cleared up and may just send directly to Gox in the future.

This was my experience as well. Pool -> MyBitcoin autopay happened to occur during their unscheduled downtime. Deposit disappeared, and technical support never responded. I was patient... for a week. Then I pulled out.
July 12, 2011, 03:51:51 PM
BitMole is not here to be helpful. He is here to start a fight. He has an agenda. Observe him.

Observe some common sense. You have a problem with MyBitCoin; you post an obscure thread about it on bitcoin.org; the unnotified third party owner of MyBitCoin understandably does not participate in the thread (how could they without knowing it exists?); this somehow proves their guilt.

So if I have an issue with your site, you provide an internal messaging system that I dont use, i start a thread on some forum somewhere, and you don't post on it, does that make you a crook?

Sorry I wasn't clear.  I didn't use the mybitcoin messaging system at first because I was locked out of my account!  It was only later that I created a new account and tried to contact "Mr Williams".  Alas, many weeks later I can report he has not responded in any way.  I gave him plenty of time to respond before I went public with this thread.

At this point I am certainly DONE with mybitcoin.com.  If anyone is foolish enough to continue leaving money with this website they deserve what they get.
July 12, 2011, 07:28:27 AM
So what happened?
legendary
Activity: 1020
Merit: 1000
July 12, 2011, 06:49:33 AM
I lost my 0.5 BTC from mybitcoin.com when mtgox crashed .
July 12, 2011, 06:19:58 AM
i think it could be possible to proof the following through blockexplorer:

- transfer btc to mybitcoin
 - ip adress of sender
 - mybitcoin did keep the btc
 - or ip adress of recipient

(but: i think mybitcoin has to help us here by providing the adresses and the guarantee its not moving btc internal).

I think this is the simplest way to confirm that mybitcoin is a scam, the fact that they are not here defending themselves from all us "thieves" claiming we've been ripped off.  They are not acting like a company that has a reputation to defend and that wants to grow and prosper.  Where is the great and mysterious Tom Williams? If anyone uses mybitcoin after this thread they are asking to get ripped off.  And if I'm wrong I'm sure Tom Williams will come here to rebut me.
July 12, 2011, 06:06:26 AM
BitMole is not here to be helpful. He is here to start a fight. He has an agenda. Observe him.
Activity: 56
July 12, 2011, 05:15:04 AM
A solution to this kind of problem is for wallet services to offer 'signed receipts' for all transactions, and only carry out transactions for which the customer first signed a request.

Then in the case of a dispute a customer can simply present as evidence their receipt (which has the account balance on it), with their digital signature and the wallet providers signature. Whoever has the most recent receipt 'wins' the argument (because everyones signature is on it).

https://github.com/FellowTraveler/Open-Transactions/wiki/Triple-Signed-Receipts
http://iang.org/papers/triple_entry.html
http://truledger.com/

Is a receipt enough? Won't you also need to show that you never withdrew the coins in order to prove you were actually stolen from?

You get a signed recepit for everything. deposits, withdraws, transfers. There is no action involving your bitcoins that doesn't include you signing something. If they can't produce a signed (by you and them) receipt showing you withdrew the funds, but you can show a receipt showing they have x balance, then you 'win' the argument.

If anyone is confused about how or why this actually works, I encourage you to read through the links above. It's a good read.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1016
Strength in numbers
July 12, 2011, 04:55:17 AM
A solution to this kind of problem is for wallet services to offer 'signed receipts' for all transactions, and only carry out transactions for which the customer first signed a request.

Then in the case of a dispute a customer can simply present as evidence their receipt (which has the account balance on it), with their digital signature and the wallet providers signature. Whoever has the most recent receipt 'wins' the argument (because everyones signature is on it).

https://github.com/FellowTraveler/Open-Transactions/wiki/Triple-Signed-Receipts
http://iang.org/papers/triple_entry.html
http://truledger.com/

Is a receipt enough? Won't you also need to show that you never withdrew the coins in order to prove you were actually stolen from?
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1016
Strength in numbers
July 12, 2011, 04:54:28 AM
I just got an email from one of my best friends...

He lost 1000 Bitcoins on MyBitcoin.com   

He has heard no reply whatsoever to any of his emails to them.

Of course, I am the one who recommended MyBitcoin to him.

Imagine how I feel about that.

You say he lost them, but surely it's not final. How long has he been trying to contact Tom?

Something is going on, but I don't think he's stealing random accounts or that this will never be resolved.

I was able to access my account and withdraw funds tonight.
Activity: 29
July 12, 2011, 12:37:55 AM
Lettucebee, I sympathize with your situation.  You may have found one of the threads I started when you did your forum history search for MyBitcoin-related threads.  I've had various problems with them over the last 8 months.  I don't really believe the owner/operator of the site is trying to scam people though.  He's probably just overwhelmed with the level of work required to maintain a free site.  I've suggested that there is a market opportunity for a fee-for-service version of MyBitcoin.  Maybe make it free to hold personal wallets but charge businesses for the API.  At any rate, I hope you recover your coins.

I'd buy this if it hadn't already been 4 weeks since Mt. Gox, with no new statement as to how they'll fix this.
Pages:
Jump to: