Author

Topic: Mycelium Bitcoin Wallet - page 112. (Read 586242 times)

legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1001
https://gliph.me/hUF
December 30, 2013, 08:33:36 AM
Are there plans to allow turning an old phone into a cheap hardware wallet? Have some private keys exist on a phone (with some type of phrase to restore them in case the phone dies) that is disconnected from everything permanently and it just signs transactions using qr codes?

There is (was?):

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ann-visualbtc-android-based-hardware-offline-wallet-using-animated-qr-codes-210371

Activity: 994
Merit: 507
December 30, 2013, 07:32:37 AM
Are there plans to allow turning an old phone into a cheap hardware wallet? Have some private keys exist on a phone (with some type of phrase to restore them in case the phone dies) that is disconnected from everything permanently and it just signs transactions using qr codes?
Jan
legendary
Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002
December 30, 2013, 03:10:37 AM
Christmas is over, and I hope you had a good one!

Would BIP32 be an option for mycelium?

I really don't like the single address (well, multiple single address) approach any more. It's just not good for anyones privacy.

I know this would be a huge change, both on the usability side as well as on your server infrastructure, but is it something you have considered and why did you decide against it? Are the reasons related to the bitcoincard somehow?

BIP32 is part of the plans for Mycelium, but as you say it is a big change, and we simply haven't gotten there yet. Our focus right now are features that allow new users to discover bitcoin and make it easy to get some coins (get their feet wet).
Andreas and I working on Mycelium full time, but we can see that we really need some more man-power, in particular developers. So if you are a skilled developer who is not afraid of Java and Android, and live in the Vienna neighborhood, send me a PM.
Activity: 854
Merit: 658
rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt
December 26, 2013, 08:23:47 PM

I really don't like the single address (well, multiple single address) approach any more. It's just not good for anyones privacy.

I know this would be a huge change, both on the usability side as well as on your server infrastructure, but is it something you have considered and why did you decide against it? Are the reasons related to the bitcoincard somehow?

I second this
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
December 24, 2013, 04:36:17 AM

legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056
Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com
December 23, 2013, 01:37:27 PM
Looking forward to the new versions Smiley Merry Christmas to you guys.
Jan
legendary
December 23, 2013, 11:37:44 AM
Mycelium is a brilliant wallet. Still hoping for the comeback of the pay-without-confirmation feature (as an advanced feature). That is the one feature that for me makes the difference compared to other payment methods, in terms of speed and convenience. Not that it's slow and inconvenient otherwise, it's not, but that's the cherry on the cake.
Hey, it is Christmas... and Andreas is more or less over his influenza. With a little luck he may get bored during the next week and just add it.
Seriously, we will add 'autopay' in an improved version. Right now, however, all our cycles are spent on an exciting (and big) feature which may get published around the beginning of February... Sorry, but that's all I am allowed to say  Undecided
legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056
Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com
December 23, 2013, 05:30:11 AM
Mycelium is a brilliant wallet. Still hoping for the comeback of the pay-without-confirmation feature (as an advanced feature). That is the one feature that for me makes the difference compared to other payment methods, in terms of speed and convenience. Not that it's slow and inconvenient otherwise, it's not, but that's the cherry on the cake.
Activity: 194
Merit: 100
December 22, 2013, 02:02:26 PM
Tried this wallet, it is my favorite ATM.

I love how the key pairs can be manager manually instead of forcing the whole wallet metaphor to the user.

Kudos for thinking differently and even pushing some uncommon features.
Jan
legendary
December 17, 2013, 06:00:45 PM
We really hope for the beginning of February. If it is done by January 24'th I'll demo it myself in Miami (which I doubt, as we have the first internal prototype demo by January 15'th)

Wow, didn't know you'll be going all the way to Miami. Will be great to see you again (maybe you could do a private demo like you did in San Jose Wink
I'll come if we are done by the 24'th, but it seems unlikely. I'd love to give an in person demo :-)
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
December 17, 2013, 05:55:15 PM
We really hope for the beginning of February. If it is done by January 24'th I'll demo it myself in Miami (which I doubt, as we have the first internal prototype demo by January 15'th)

Wow, didn't know you'll be going all the way to Miami. Will be great to see you again (maybe you could do a private demo like you did in San Jose Wink
Jan
legendary
December 17, 2013, 05:35:05 PM
Hey Rassah, sorry for the late reply... half of our development team is down with the flu :-(

Don't be getting any computer viruses into our android wallets  Angry Use gloves while you type.

Right now we are working hard on a mind-blowing (revenue generating) feature which our investor does not want us to reveal until it is ready for production, which I expect to be around the beginning of february.

ETA for this? Would love to show it off at the next few conferences I'm going to (Miami, and maybe Texas)
legendary
December 17, 2013, 05:12:30 PM
Hey Rassah, sorry for the late reply... half of our development team is down with the flu :-(

Don't be getting any computer viruses into our android wallets  Angry Use gloves while you type.

Right now we are working hard on a mind-blowing (revenue generating) feature which our investor does not want us to reveal until it is ready for production, which I expect to be around the beginning of february.

ETA for this? Would love to show it off at the next few conferences I'm going to (Miami, and maybe Texas)
Jan
legendary
December 17, 2013, 05:00:00 PM
Any progress, or at least plans, for BIP32 yet?

Had an idea. Since Mycelium let's you store only the public key, and receive to the public key, it makes a good alternative to a Bitcoin point-of-sale system. Only thing missing, or that would at least be helpful, is basic calculator functions in the receive amount section.

Finally, bit of wishful thinking, I would love to be able to add notes to my transactions, so I can remember what it was that I paid that 0.02476436 bitcoin for. This would also be useful if there was a comment box in the Receive section, so merchants and bartenders/waiters can enter a note of what was being paid for in a transaction. Like BitPay allows you to enter a receipt note along with amount. This could just be stored on the phone in a file somewhere. Heck, store it as a comma delimited text file with transaction IDs, notes, and amounts, and you have a way to export "bank statements."
We do have BIP32 plans, but it is going to take quite some time to get it right. Implementing BIP32 effectively on a mobile device that doesn't download the block chain is by no means easy. Deriving the private keys from a seed is the easy part, tracking an in principle unlimited number of private keys while limiting bandwidth and server side resources is not.

Regarding using Mycelium as a POS device you are absolutely right. We have several reports of stores doing this already. The ability to request payment in 164 currencies is a great help. Several things would make it even better:
1. (as you suggest) adding merchant messages. The recipient should be able to add a message to the payment request (in the QR code), which gets persisted either on the phone, or maybe even server-side.
2. Add/modify my own messages on my transactions (if stored server-side they are preserved when you restore on another device)
3. Setting a discount percentage for payments in BTC (or markup for that matter) on top of the exchange rate.

There is so much to do, and so little time :-)

legendary
December 11, 2013, 03:25:54 PM
Any progress, or at least plans, for BIP32 yet?

Had an idea. Since Mycelium let's you store only the public key, and receive to the public key, it makes a good alternative to a Bitcoin point-of-sale system. Only thing missing, or that would at least be helpful, is basic calculator functions in the receive amount section.

Finally, bit of wishful thinking, I would love to be able to add notes to my transactions, so I can remember what it was that I paid that 0.02476436 bitcoin for. This would also be useful if there was a comment box in the Receive section, so merchants and bartenders/waiters can enter a note of what was being paid for in a transaction. Like BitPay allows you to enter a receipt note along with amount. This could just be stored on the phone in a file somewhere. Heck, store it as a comma delimited text file with transaction IDs, notes, and amounts, and you have a way to export "bank statements."
Activity: 668
Merit: 501
December 10, 2013, 10:48:00 AM
v1.1.4  has been released to the beta channel (100%) and is in rolling update mode for the rest.

since 1.0 we have added:
Bip38 support
translations to Deutsch, English, Español, Italiano, Nederlands, Português,Pyccкий,简体字
default unit mBtc
support for BTC China

the latest update reintroduced graceful out of memory checking for exports/bip38 keys that was broken in 1.1.0. basically, devices with less than 20 megs of ram will be unable to do the encrypted export. those users are encouraged to enable expert mode and export single, unencrypted keys.

if you notice anything worth improving, don't hesitate to ask.

We also have a brand-new Dutch translation thanks to Martijn Wismeijer!
please take a look at it.
December 08, 2013, 10:45:03 AM
Cool. BTW, when you go to "Export", the QR code of the key is shown, but not the private key itself (text). I don't see why. I can use the QR code or copy key to the clipboard, but I cannot copy the key by hand directly from this screen.
valid point. clipboard is more insecure than display (which is protected from rogue screenshots). it makes some sense to add this.
Activity: 24
Merit: 0
December 08, 2013, 09:57:44 AM
Cool. BTW, when you go to "Export", the QR code of the key is shown, but not the private key itself (text). I don't see why. I can use the QR code or copy key to the clipboard, but I cannot copy the key by hand directly from this screen.
December 08, 2013, 09:30:21 AM
There is still the private key export function in the menu of the keys view. Thus exported keys are not encrypted. There is also the reverse function, key import, activated by the new key icon.

if you like to view the private key directly (without the 2-factor pdf) one of the best ways to secure the key is to take a photo with a old-fashioned (digital) camera and print it.

if you like analog, you need to develop it yourself though Wink
Activity: 24
Merit: 0
December 08, 2013, 07:04:57 AM
Thank you - this is great!
Jump to: