Author

Topic: Mycelium Bitcoin Wallet - page 114. (Read 586242 times)

Activity: 668
Merit: 501
December 06, 2013, 04:45:25 AM
all bitcoiners are wealthy, some just don't know it yet.

*) number grouping for large numbers

Is this for wealthy bitcoiners???

No if you pair that with "default unit mBtc" Tongue.
Activity: 644
Merit: 504
December 05, 2013, 05:30:21 PM
I notice it's not possible to copy a receive address anymore to the clipboard. This is really important.

Try to scroll down (or up? Smiley) in the Balance view.
I missed that too for a while, and it was just because my finger was hiding most of the right scroll bar  Embarrassed

Wow, that did it. I was in landscape mode. there is no indication there is stuff below.

Neither in portrait mode, as in my case on a Galaxy S Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000
December 05, 2013, 05:25:03 PM
I notice it's not possible to copy a receive address anymore to the clipboard. This is really important.

I missed that too for a while, and it was just because my finger was hiding most of the right scroll bar  Embarrassed

Wow, that did it. I was in landscape mode. there is no indication there is stuff below.
Activity: 644
Merit: 504
December 05, 2013, 04:37:59 PM

legendary
December 05, 2013, 02:09:29 PM
I notice it's not possible to copy a receive address anymore to the clipboard. This is really important. For example say you receive some bitcoin at coinbase and want to transfer them out to a wallet controlled by Mycelium. There is no way to copy the receive address to clipboard to be able to paste into the coinbase app. Couldnt you make it so a long tap+hold on the receive address brings up the old dialog (which used to give you options to generate a QR code with a specific amount, and or copy the receive address to the clipboard).
legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029
December 05, 2013, 10:52:45 AM

No if you pair that with "default unit mBtc" Tongue.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
December 05, 2013, 09:46:32 AM

December 04, 2013, 05:00:54 PM
sources for version 1.1.0 rc7 have been pushed to github.

testers in the beta group can already get an update from play store, too.

https://plus.google.com/107839384289577985803/posts/2pDGGfhX9T1

*) Bip38 support
*) translations to de, es, it, pt, ru, zh
*) ability to change language in options
*) camera fixes (landscape mode)
*) bugfix when sharing PDF with Samsung Email App
*) default unit mBtc
*) allow encrypted backup verification through clipboard in addition to qr code.

please report any bugs you might encounter.
December 01, 2013, 09:27:36 PM
Could someone please tell me what possible risks there are when using the "Cold Storage" option?

Could malware read the key from memory before it's deleted?

this is a good question.

i don't believe there is malware that specialized yet, and we had no report indicating that a mycelium user lost bitcoins, even a hot wallet, due to malware.

cold storage will not persist the key into flash memory. so any attack that looks there (even if it can peek into private storage of apps, with a root-exploit) will not work.

but if malware has full control over the system with a root exploit it can try to read the private keys by accessing the camera sensor data directly, or by instrumenting the whole app, and intercepting the data passed between intents. (it would basically re-package the entire mycelium wallet apk if it finds an exploit to bypass signature checks)
this is technically extremely sophisticated, requires significant effort to implement and has a very low, almost zero chance of infecting people if they just use the play store. if you install any random .apk from your email or you run a really bad custom ROM, like MIUI you are more in danger than normal.

IMO, the best protection is to keep a lower amount of bitcoins in your normal mycelium wallet. if they do not get stolen you can be pretty sure that there is no malware targeting your bitcoins.

so right now security of cold wallet spending is pretty good, but there is still room to improve it. that is what keeps us busy. there is plenty to do, to improve security even further.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
December 01, 2013, 09:09:53 AM
Could someone please tell me what possible risks there are when using the "Cold Storage" option?

Could malware read the key from memory before it's deleted?
November 27, 2013, 01:00:27 PM
very nice article about Bitcoin and nice mention of Mycelium Wallet in particular on

http://www.tripwire.com/state-of-security/security-data-protection/security-issues-may-chronically-hinder-bitcoin-adoption/
legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056
Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com
November 26, 2013, 02:22:12 PM
Bitcoin is *not* the state that is out there to patronize adults and forcefully attempt to stop adults from making mistakes with their lives. Going too far with forced security annoyances is exactly that, going too far. I don't agree with btcdrak not only from the annoyance standpoint but also from an ideological standpoint.

The comments of btcdrak remind me of politicians that are trying to make decisions on people's lives on behalf of people themselves. Disgusting.

This is slightly off topic of course, and the developers of Mycelium are free to do with their wallet as they wish (thankfully they indeed are). Smiley

My opinion on this is that they should simply add a strong disclaimer if someone wants to remove the backup notice without verifying, so that the user will understand that by doing so any loss of bitcoins will be 100% their responsibility, thus reducing the strain loss cases can cause to the developers.
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!
November 26, 2013, 11:02:34 AM
If you import a key you never have to verify it. You already proved that you have elsewhere. Verification is only required for keys that were generated by the app.

Ah, so then the experience I had was just a one-time event, due to updating the app's wallet? Nice! Grin

(Or try to bribe you with bitcoins....)
  Grin

Hey, I'm willing to make a reasonable offer. Smiley
legendary
November 26, 2013, 10:58:00 AM
I can verify that. I imported keys and have not been asked to back them up. Jan is one step ahead of us all...
Jan
legendary
Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002
November 26, 2013, 10:56:53 AM
It's however good to design the wallet for both basic and advanced users in mind. It's not a big issue if I have to go through a few menus to be able to ignore the backup reminder, that's what advanced users do. I go through all possible settings in a program in detail every time I use anything. When something can't be customized (in any way), that is always a disappointment.

The problem is "advanced users" are often the victims of their own intelligence. And then there is just plain bad luck - like losing the phone, or dropping it in your beer. A true "expert user" would recognise backups are MUCH more important than a nag screen.

@Jan - dont remove it.

And those of us importing our already-backed-up keys just have to go through the verification procedure again each time? A procedure which pretty much (appropriately) requires a printout of the keys?

*sigh*

Maybe two versions of the app might be warranted. The normal version, and the "DANGEROUS", "RISKY", "ADVANCED EXPERT MODE" version that scares all the newbies away with descriptions like "this version is far riskier, and YOU STAND A GOOD CHANCE OF LOSING YOUR COINS if you don't take extra precautions on your own." Of course, knowing that that would require much more work than it might sound like, I'm only joking. But a guy can dream. (Or try to bribe you with bitcoins....)

(Or try to bribe you with bitcoins....)
  Grin

If you import a key you never have to verify it. You already proved that you have elsewhere. Verification is only required for keys that were generated by the app.
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!
November 26, 2013, 10:47:53 AM
It's however good to design the wallet for both basic and advanced users in mind. It's not a big issue if I have to go through a few menus to be able to ignore the backup reminder, that's what advanced users do. I go through all possible settings in a program in detail every time I use anything. When something can't be customized (in any way), that is always a disappointment.

The problem is "advanced users" are often the victims of their own intelligence. And then there is just plain bad luck - like losing the phone, or dropping it in your beer. A true "expert user" would recognise backups are MUCH more important than a nag screen.

@Jan - dont remove it.

And those of us importing our already-backed-up keys just have to go through the verification procedure again each time? A procedure which pretty much (appropriately) requires a printout of the keys?

*sigh*

Maybe two versions of the app might be warranted. The normal version, and the "DANGEROUS", "RISKY", "ADVANCED EXPERT MODE" version that scares all the newbies away with descriptions like "this version is far riskier, and YOU STAND A GOOD CHANCE OF LOSING YOUR COINS if you don't take extra precautions on your own." Of course, knowing that that would require much more work than it might sound like, I'm only joking. But a guy can dream. (Or try to bribe you with bitcoins....)
Jan
legendary
November 26, 2013, 10:14:54 AM
@Jan - dont remove it.
Cheesy trying to keep everyone happy is really hard
legendary
November 26, 2013, 09:19:39 AM

@Jan - dont remove it.
legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056
Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com
November 26, 2013, 09:10:04 AM
Good points Jan. I can see your point of view. Bitcoin is a new paradigm and requires new kind of security thinking, and many newbies don't understand that. It has to be "instructed" in a way. Understandable.

When something could be customized before, but can't anymore, that is an even bigger disappointment. I don't like software updates where the advanced settings are suddenly gone. I can understand hiding them by default but not having any way to enable them is quite limiting.

I can understand the need for simplicity, but having a separate expert mode with some of these settings for advanced users is a good idea. If you want to design a wallet that both newbies and experienced users want to use, I mean.
Jan
legendary
November 26, 2013, 09:05:29 AM
So I hate to bring this up... but it's sort of imperitive... will you release a Litecoin version of MyCelium wallet? Litecoin is kind of becoming a BIG deal now.
We don't have any plans for adding Litecoin right now. There is plenty to do to just get Bitcoin right. We may reconsider later on once the dust settles.
Jump to: