Author

Topic: Mycelium Bitcoin Wallet - page 110. (Read 586242 times)

legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005
January 14, 2014, 04:48:12 PM
I liked the interface and ported it over to Devcoin only to learn that all communications are happening via  a central API that this company has control over (so its not really open source after all)
Couldn't it be modified so that it works with electrum servers?

No the API connects only to bitcoin nodes.
Activity: 938
Merit: 500
https://youengine.io/
January 14, 2014, 04:44:04 PM
I liked the interface and ported it over to Devcoin only to learn that all communications are happening via  a central API that this company has control over (so its not really open source after all)
Couldn't it be modified so that it works with electrum servers?
ffe
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
January 14, 2014, 04:42:36 PM
Just want to say I love your apps making cold wallet spending super easy. =)

This wallet has a centralized API that goes against what bitcoin stands for. If a million people were doing some serious business with the wallet and someone wanted tos crew them over they coudl attack the server and poof your wallet doesn't work.

Hence your wallet's fate is always in the hands of a centralized person(s)... and you will always get this what happened in this post: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.4473315

I tried to contact these people so I can make another "super node" using Devcoin but to no avail. I liked the interface and ported it over to Devcoin only to learn that all communications are happening via  a central API that this company has control over (so its not really open source after all), alas I moved onto using bitcoinj which is totally decentralized and doesn't have a big problem with downloading block data since it is using checkpoints and only downloading last 5 weeks of data.

You would simply backup your wallet and if you re-install a new version of the wallet you can import your keys again later. The whole "not having to download the blockchain" is actually a bad thing not a good one.

So your claim of open source does not stand, unless you open up the source to your API which I can then use to port my application.

The claim here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.3160266 as to why SPV store's are not good because you can't import arbritraty private keys without redownloading the entire blockchain from the genesis block node is a mute point and doesn't defeat the notion of SPV store being better than this proprietary private API. When someone wants to use the android wallet they simply transfer coins over to it without importing your QT wallet private key. Infact it is dangerous to even dump your private key so to encourage this behaviour is bad anyways.

The bitcoinj wallet will allow you to create a new key where you would send coins from your other wallet(s) to it and then you go from there. The SPV store will remember all transactions related to its own wallet from the time you installed the application. If you reinstall the application it will redownload from the last checkpoint which is the earliest time that you could have sent any coins for the wallet to care anyways.

Even if we update the checkpoints so the user would only ever have to download 5 weeks of data, by importing an older key from an older bitcoinj install, I believe since the hash of the blocks are saved relating to the transactions which the wallet would care about it would reimport these blocks when you import your old wallet.

Still, it does make cold wallet spending super easy.
legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005
January 14, 2014, 04:26:54 PM

This wallet has a centralized API that goes against what bitcoin stands for. If a million people were doing some serious business with the wallet and someone wanted tos crew them over they coudl attack the server(s) and poof your wallet doesn't work.

Hence your wallet's fate is always in the hands of a centralized person(s)... and you will always get this what happened in this post: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.4473315

I tried to contact these people so I can make another "super node" using Devcoin but to no avail. I liked the interface and ported it over to Devcoin only to learn that all communications are happening via  a central API that this company has control over (so its not really open source after all), alas I moved onto using bitcoinj which is totally decentralized and doesn't have a big problem with downloading block data since it is using checkpoints and only downloading last 5 weeks of data.

You would simply backup your wallet and if you re-install a new version of the wallet you can import your keys again later. The whole "not having to download the blockchain" is actually a bad thing not a good one.

So your claim of open source does not stand, unless you open up the source to your API which I can then use to port my application.

The claim here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.3160266 as to why SPV store's are not good because you can't import arbritraty private keys without redownloading the entire blockchain from the genesis block node is a mute point and doesn't defeat the notion of SPV store being better than this proprietary private API. When someone wants to use the android wallet they simply transfer coins over to it without importing your QT wallet private key. Infact it is dangerous to even dump your private key so to encourage this behaviour is bad anyways.

The bitcoinj wallet will allow you to create a new key where you would send coins from your other wallet(s) to it and then you go from there. The SPV store will remember all transactions related to its own wallet from the time you installed the application. If you reinstall the application it will redownload from the last checkpoint which is the earliest time that you could have sent any coins for the wallet to care anyways.

Even if we update the checkpoints so the user would only ever have to download 5 weeks of data, by importing an older key from an older bitcoinj install, I believe since the hash of the blocks are saved relating to the transactions which the wallet would care about it would reimport these blocks when you import your old wallet.

About cold storage, someone could double spend you with a higher mining fee so its not really safe,  NFC/Bluetooth available in bitcoinj is essentially the same thing.
Activity: 303
January 14, 2014, 04:06:38 PM
Jan
legendary
Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002
January 14, 2014, 09:16:23 AM
We are expanding!

We are determined to deliver the best mobile wallets in the Bitcoin space. To do this we need more hands on deck.

We are currently have four positions open:
  • DevOps Engineer for Bitcoin Technologies
  • Mobile Developer for Bitcoin Technologies
  • Community Manager for Bitcoin Technologies
  • Embedded Systems Developer

Details: http://megiontechnologies.com/career.html
Jan
legendary
January 14, 2014, 03:28:29 AM
one of the server nodes got stuck at block 280136 due to a corrupt bitcoind database (36 blocks behind), catching up now, so when you read this everything should be synchronized

Is something stuck again? Got a tx in Mycelium with 0 confirmations after an hour. Blockchain.info shows 3 confirmations.
Yes. The same node experienced bitcoind database corruption. It has been taken offline for investigation. Wallets automatically switch over to another server.
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1001
https://gliph.me/hUF
January 14, 2014, 03:01:44 AM
one of the server nodes got stuck at block 280136 due to a corrupt bitcoind database (36 blocks behind), catching up now, so when you read this everything should be synchronized

Is something stuck again? Got a tx in Mycelium with 0 confirmations after an hour. Blockchain.info shows 3 confirmations.
Jan
legendary
January 12, 2014, 05:44:33 PM
Activity: 336
January 12, 2014, 05:05:58 PM
Where did my payment go?

https://blockchain.info/tx/69de282725eeabb539ac502e63fb69b0c8b02fcd0c653fce24145f3ab45a4e1e

it was in my phone for the first 3 confirmations....  now its not showing up.....

if i check my address on blockchain the funds are there.... but the app says no....

after more checking the last 2 payments are missing.....    wtf

I was having same problem. I just exported key and imported it to blockchain.info and sent from there.

Edit: No, my problem was different. I had sent payment, it showed but didn't actually send it.
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
January 12, 2014, 04:40:44 PM
Where did my payment go?

https://blockchain.info/tx/69de282725eeabb539ac502e63fb69b0c8b02fcd0c653fce24145f3ab45a4e1e

it was in my phone for the first 3 confirmations....  now its not showing up.....

if i check my address on blockchain the funds are there.... but the app says no....

after more checking the last 2 payments are missing.....    wtf
Jan
legendary
January 08, 2014, 12:08:59 PM
Nice fast paced cold storage spending demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV-29RFU6xA
 Grin

If I don't spend all the money, will change go back to the paper wallet?? Just want to double-check.
Yes.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
January 08, 2014, 12:03:30 PM
Nice fast paced cold storage spending demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV-29RFU6xA
 Grin

If I don't spend all the money, will change go back to the paper wallet?? Just want to double-check.
Activity: 371
January 08, 2014, 11:52:54 AM
Good suggestion. And they do have BT. I just walked into a China mobile store and the phones were on special for $27. Dual SIM, 4" screen, and as it turns out BT too. I've never used a Bluetooth point to point connection before but I'll try it tomorrow. To be honest I think Bluetooth may be the shittiest protocol ever developed so I generally avoid it, but for this purpose it should be fine.
Activity: 644
Merit: 504
January 08, 2014, 07:36:11 AM
Thanks. Send to SD card works great.

If those ultra cheap phones does have it, you could share the PDF via bluetooth to another device (the other phone, for example) without going online or installing any app.
January 08, 2014, 04:32:31 AM
Thanks. Send to SD card works great.
Activity: 668
Merit: 501
January 07, 2014, 11:37:35 PM
Hi, newbie mycelium question: I have two identical, ultra cheap chinese phones running 4.X. Factory reset, no sim and wifi turned off. Only added app is mycelium. I want to use them as (identical) dedicated offline cold storage devices and send one to my brother as backup. I'm just running tests at the moment.

When I start mycelium up, I have the option to backup and export/share my private key as an encrypted PDF. But if I don't want to go online, how can I get that PDF from the phone to a printer? I would prefer to save the PDF directly to the SD card (after writing down the password) and then take the SD card to my laptop and print the PDF. And then import the key into the second phone. Is that possible? I only see online options for sharing. I don't really want to expose the private key and take a photo.

Sorry if I've missed this in another discussion. Note that I'm also in china right now with no vpn so I can't watch the instruction videos on youtube.

we will be adding features to support this. meanwhile, you can

• either install a "share to sd card" app
  • or take a photo of the private key using a plain old digicam.
  • or create a private key using any other means offline and scan it.
January 07, 2014, 11:01:27 PM
Hi, newbie mycelium question: I have two identical, ultra cheap chinese phones running 4.X. Factory reset, no sim and wifi turned off. Only added app is mycelium. I want to use them as (identical) dedicated offline cold storage devices and send one to my brother as backup. I'm just running tests at the moment.

When I start mycelium up, I have the option to backup and export/share my private key as an encrypted PDF. But if I don't want to go online, how can I get that PDF from the phone to a printer? I would prefer to save the PDF directly to the SD card (after writing down the password) and then take the SD card to my laptop and print the PDF. And then import the key into the second phone. Is that possible? I only see online options for sharing. I don't really want to expose the private key and take a photo.

Sorry if I've missed this in another discussion. Note that I'm also in china right now with no vpn so I can't watch the instruction videos on youtube.
Jan
legendary
January 07, 2014, 02:38:29 PM
 Grin
Jan
legendary
January 07, 2014, 10:17:36 AM
Bug report:

When attempting to send from this address: https://blockchain.info/address/1K3bMZ7SvkzoGZTYD5EpYPKbN8PPQKqidG

which currently contains 2.48345024 BTC
and hitting the "max" button to send everything
it will only allow me to send 1.91515024 BTC

Any attempt to enter any larger amount will be denied with "insufficient funds to pay fee".

This address contains only a dozen outputs and a fee of 0.5683 BTC (over 400 Euro!) seems a bit high to me.

Edit: is it maybe the unusual pay-to-pubkey format of some of the unspent outputs? These were generated by Schildbach when It moved coins internally between 2 addresses (this is a key that was formerly used in my Schildbach wallet and was imported into Mycelium). If this is the case then you need to fix it so that it can use these types of outputs as transaction inputs. You will need a different type of signature script for these inputs, only the signature and not the pubkey because the pubkey will come from the output script, see wiki: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Script#Standard_Generation_Transaction_.28pay-to-pubkey.29

Edit2: This will most likely happen more often when people start importing keys from Schildbach. These pay-to-pubkey transactions are generated by Schildbach when it does its emergency transactions, when funds are sent to an old address that was flagged as insecure (due to the Android bug) it will immediately sweep the funds into a new secure address and it will use pay-to-pubkey for it. All these pay-to-pubkey transactions you can see arriving in my above address result from this.

sounds like a bug to me. the fees should not be that high. we will try to reproduce it, but i don't expect a fix extremely soon (realistically, i'd work on that week 20.1-24.1) as a workaround, i'd recommend importing the key  to bitcoin-qt and consolidating the funds there.

Mycelium does not support using pubkey outputs. It was never a priority as next to nobody is using it these days. So what you see in the UI is the maximum you can send from the address while paying a normal sizes fee. The rest will be left untouched. This does not mean that the rest will be the fee, but I agree that it is a bit unclear.
If you click OK (without Send) you will see the fee that it calculates.

All this said, we probably should support pubkey outputs. In 2 1/5 years of BitcoinSpinner / Mycelium pubkey outputs have never been requested.
Jump to: