Pages:
Author

Topic: Mycelium Bitcoin Wallet - page 36. (Read 586165 times)

HCP
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 4316
July 07, 2016, 08:22:04 AM
Yes it is certainly an issue. And one that I stumbled across in my first week of "bitcoining"  Undecided

I noticed that in the blockchain.info (beta) wallet... when i go to addresses, they have a "next address" button... you can just click that and it generates the next address for you... it looks like it can generate as many as you want. I made 4 or 5.

I can see their issue with the scanning... you have to have some way of stopping without continuing to infinity... So they'd have to have some way of tracking addresses generated... I wonder if it is possible to have a counter stored? So every time an address is generated, either manually or via receiving a transaction to address in the list position X, where X = counter, it increments the counter.

To be ultra safe, you could scan to counter+5 or counter+10 maybe? Or maybe a manual button to scan another 5 or 10 ahead if a user is not getting transactions/addresses showing up.

This, and the fact that sometimes it seems to sit in my phone memory and not require my PIN number are probably the biggest issues I have with Mycelium at the moment. The PIN one is particularly disturbing. Like just now, I picked up my phone which I haven't touched for a good 2 hours, turned on the screen, swiped away the lock screen, went into the App Drawer, tapped Mycelium and it went straight into my account listing???  Shocked
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330
July 07, 2016, 02:45:11 AM
So, how do you provide a new address to each person?

I am relatively new to BTC, so forgive me if this is a stupid question. I have tried to search for the answer but haven't found anything that answers this specific query.

As I understand it, there's no way to get Mycelium to generate a new receiving address until the previous one has received funds.

It's not a stupid question, it's a stupid mis-feature of Mycelium. People have asked to have this improved in the past (in this thread I think) but I don't think the developers saw it as a desirable feature. If I'm trying to split a restaurant bill 5 ways I want to be able to give one address to each of the 5 people. I don't want to have to wait for each person to pay before I am allowed to generate the next address. That's just silly.

You can use a site like https://dcpos.github.io/bip39/ to generate as many receiving addresses as you like, but it's kind of inconvenient. The site works offline - you can save it to a memory stick and load it on an offline machine (so you don't have to type your seed words on an online machine).

I'll see if I can find the post I'm thinking about, and will update this message if I do.

Edit: maybe this is what I'm thinking of - it appears adding the ability know more than one unused receiving address at a time is "on their list", and has been for nearly 2 years now:

With the latest version, if I have given someone the displayed receiving address how do I get another address for payments before a transaction has been sent to it?

Currently thats not possible - but its on our list!
There will be an option to show multiple unused receiving addresses eventually.

It shouldn't be a problem to receive more than one payment to that same address, since all your old addresses are monitored for payments. There might also be an issue that, since HD wallet addresses are generated sequentially, the wallet scans each address to see if it's empty, and if it is, assumes that it was the last one used and doesn't scan for any new ones (we scan 2 ahead). So there may be an issue where, for example, you give three people an address to send to, each one having a new address, and the first two people don't send anything. Since those addresses will be empty, the wallet will think that it's the end of the used addresses and that there are no payments to any later addresses, and the third person's payment (or any after it) will not show up. Only way to get around that is to scan ahead for even more addresses, and/or limit the amount of empty addresses you can generate. But as I said, there shouldn't be a problem with two people sending to the same address.
Should we manage to implement stealth address payments, this won't be a problem anyway.

When we implement support to generate more receiving addresses, we will of course adjust the lookahead accordingly. At the moment it's 2 for synchronizing and 20 for discovery (like when importing or activating an archived account).
HCP
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 4316
July 06, 2016, 09:00:48 PM
Hi,

I installed Mycelium yesterday after finally realising how insecure Hot wallets like Xapo actually are (ie. no private keys). I have also been reading that one should use a new address for each transaction to help improve anonymity for all parties concerned. What I want to know is, is it possible to get Mycelium to generate a new address without 1. creating a new HD account or 2. receiving a new transaction?

The scenario I am thinking of is:

1. You send address ABC to person 1.
2. While waiting for person 1 to make a payment, person 2 asks for your address for payment, but I don't want to send them address ABC.

However, until person 1 sends the transaction and Mycelium receives it, you are stuck with the "old" address(es), which means you have to receive multiple payments to the same address or wait for payments to arrive to get a new address.

I know I could create a new HD account. As I understand it, it is based off the same seed so should be easy to recover etc, but I don't want to do this as this will mean my BTC balances are split across different accounts and will mean a new account every time I have multiple transactions that overlap time wise won't it?

So, how do you provide a new address to each person?

I am relatively new to BTC, so forgive me if this is a stupid question. I have tried to search for the answer but haven't found anything that answers this specific query.
Activity: 695
Merit: 500
July 06, 2016, 08:19:39 AM
Yeah, not being clear about what the problem is definitely needs improvement. Have you only created the backup, or did you also verify that it works?
When you select the account on the accounts tab, you should get a "verify backup" option in the menu.

Thanks! That was it. I verified all accounts and the warning button disappeared.

So the problem is that the button does the wrong thing. It creates another backup, rather than offering to verify, particularly if the user has just created a fresh backup. Perhaps there is also another problem, because there should be an "unverified" warning with each unverified account, but I had none of these warnings on any of my several single-address accounts.

Another point to think about is that the backup contains a number of account QR codes and one password. Verifying could be made much easier if the user could enter the password once and scan the QR codes in quick succession. Instead I had to scan one account QR code, enter the password, scan the next, enter the same password again, scan the next, enter the same password again, etc. The clipboard helps, but it still increases the risk of the password being snatched by malware or by somebody peeping at my phone.
Activity: 707
July 06, 2016, 07:38:03 AM
Yeah, not being clear about what the problem is definitely needs improvement. Have you only created the backup, or did you also verify that it works?
When you select the account on the accounts tab, you should get a "verify backup" option in the menu.
July 05, 2016, 04:41:17 PM
Does anything happen when you tap it? Do you have single key accounts with money in them? Do you have archived accounts which maybe don't have a backup?

When I tap it, Mycelium wants to back up my single-address accounts, but I have done this already twice.

Yes, I have single-address accounts with money in them.

What is an archived account? I cannot find any in Mycelium. I don't remember having archived an account.

Thanks for your help! To me this looks decidedly like a defect in Mycelium. Even if we can find a cause and solve it, it should not be so difficult to find. The least is a defect in the user interface of the kind where the app does not tell the user what to do in an intelligible way. Obviously the button keeps telling me forever to do a backup of all single-address accounts, no matter how many such backups I have already done. This is a defect, regardless of what we can find. I hope it can be repaired.
July 05, 2016, 04:15:47 PM
Does anything happen when you tap it? Do you have single key accounts with money in them? Do you have archived accounts which maybe don't have a backup?
July 05, 2016, 01:50:00 PM
… The warning sign, an exclamation mark in a yellow triangle with the text "Secure your funds", however, remains. Any idea how I can get rid of that?

If you navigate to the "accounts" tab, is there a red warning line under any of your accounts?

No.
July 05, 2016, 01:42:06 PM
… The warning sign, an exclamation mark in a yellow triangle with the text "Secure your funds", however, remains. Any idea how I can get rid of that?

No ideas on this one?

If you navigate to the "accounts" tab, is there a red warning line under any of your accounts?
July 05, 2016, 12:31:31 PM

No ideas on this one?
Activity: 577
July 05, 2016, 11:39:52 AM
Hey everyone...I am having problems with finding my coins/tokens from colu. Can't sign-in. The verify email doesn't work when clicked.
Can anyone please point me in the right direction.
Thanks very much  Wink

What is a colu?  This is a mycelium thread.

that's how i got my tokens at the end of the crowdsale

@steve8143 If you still need help, Colu's email address is [email protected]
legendary
Activity: 1081
Merit: 1001
June 30, 2016, 01:48:26 AM

Is there a way to determine the size of the transaction in Armory before finalizing its generation? If not, is that something that can somehow be incorporated into the next release (user-friendly) since transaction fees are critical nowadays for a successful transmission?

Armory?  This is a Mycelium thread.
Oops! Sorry, I asked the same question in the Armory thread, copied and pasted it in here but totally forgot to change the wallet name. But yes, I meant to ask the same question with Mycelium.

Not sure you looked, but....
In Mycelium, before you send a specified amount, you can see the tx (miner) fee.  And, you can change the priority if you want to.  It's very user-friendly in that you simply need to click the Miner Fee button to select between the different priorities you want to send at (Low-prio, Economic, Normal, Priority).  The amounts vary based on what you're trying to send.

Priority options based on "preset" fee amount ≠ transaction size information. You totally missed the point of my inquiry but thanks just the same for your effort.

legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1164
June 29, 2016, 12:48:13 PM

Is there a way to determine the size of the transaction in Armory before finalizing its generation? If not, is that something that can somehow be incorporated into the next release (user-friendly) since transaction fees are critical nowadays for a successful transmission?

Oops! Sorry, I asked the same question in the Armory thread, copied and pasted it in here but totally forgot to change the wallet name. But yes, I meant to ask the same question with Mycelium.

Not sure you looked, but....
In Mycelium, before you send a specified amount, you can see the tx (miner) fee.  And, you can change the priority if you want to.  It's very user-friendly in that you simply need to click the Miner Fee button to select between the different priorities you want to send at (Low-prio, Economic, Normal, Priority).  The amounts vary based on what you're trying to send.
legendary
June 29, 2016, 01:16:55 AM

Activity: 229
Merit: 100
June 29, 2016, 12:11:27 AM
Hey everyone...I am having problems with finding my coins/tokens from colu. Can't sign-in. The verify email doesn't work when clicked.
Thanks very much  Wink

that's how i got my tokens at the end of the crowdsale
legendary
June 29, 2016, 12:06:17 AM
Thanks very much  Wink

Activity: 229
Merit: 100
June 29, 2016, 12:03:18 AM
Thanks very much  Wink
legendary
June 28, 2016, 11:25:57 PM

Armory?  This is a Mycelium thread.
legendary
June 28, 2016, 11:07:59 PM

legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330
June 20, 2016, 04:32:28 PM
What happened with Mycelium iOS version?

It was separately developed and wasn't very good judging by all I've read about it.

The next generation of Mycelium wallet will use a common codebase across platforms, so the Android and iOS versions will be pretty much the same.

Until then the iOS version isn't available.
Pages:
Jump to: