Pages:
Author

Topic: Necronomicon thread: Altcoins which are dead. - page 9. (Read 43841 times)

Activity: 107
Merit: 59
FUCK THE CONSPIRACY
     I'm personally butt-hurt over the term dead, when it still has a thriving private community.  Hell, the fact that Dobbscoin produces less than 8k BOBz/day, is itself a reason no one's willing to sell them under 600 - and explains why it's marketcap is "dead". Whether it began as a coingen or not means nothing about where it stands today. Dobbscoin may have been spawned a coingen, but It's a Gideon built masterpiece now, in all flavors, with a working testnet, & getnetworkhash functions, it's own zero premined genesis block, and still has its original blockchain, custom graphic wallets, and a dedicated community of Slackers mining and trading it amongst themselves: marketcap in USD be damned.  With a cap of only 21Mil coins - I'm still able to get 1500 per day (w/only 300KHs) and disseminate them among the community because it's a private community slackproject. It's not about volume, it's about Slack.

Just because some schmucks aren't able to mine several hundred thousand a day
just to dump on an ignorant speculating overpopulation.. does NOT mean a coin is dead.

Once you understand that Dobbscoin begain as a school project, mandating to be chosen because it was an EXISTING open source application to then be re-engineered, starting from scratch was not an option. Were it not for Matt Corallos coingen service, Dobbscoin wouldn't exist. It's prequalification aught not be a pre-requisition for it's demise.

If it weren't for (BOB) I'd not have learned to install debian..
If ya want commerce.. use Bitcoin (BTC).. if ya want Slack use (BOB) Dobbscoin.
Personally, I don't want to see anyone buying it.. but if they did - i wouldn't judge.
I'm holding the bag for "Bob", an my saq is ABSOLUTLY HUGE.  

Dobbscoin (BOB): The ONLY crypto-currency accepted on the Pleasure Saucers.
Give yourself to (Bob) freely, joyously, without an atom of restraint --NOW -- and your worries are over.
PRAISE "BOB" - LET THERE BE SLACK.

... it doesn't matter which of them was the original; this thread is only about which one is dead ...

I disagree. It is important to differentiate whether the coingen coin died or the hand-crafted coin died.
legendary
Activity: 2254
Merit: 1278
... it doesn't matter which of them was the original; this thread is only about which one is dead ...

I disagree. It is important to differentiate whether the coingen coin died or the hand-crafted coin died.

Regarding Bottlecaps ... please provide a source for your information ...

See the original 11-month-old commit:

https://github.com/bottlecaps-foundation/bottlecaps/blob/master/src/rpcdump.cpp#L50

Code:
    if (fWalletUnlockMintOnly) // ppcoin: no importprivkey in mint-only mode
        throw JSONRPCError(RPC_WALLET_UNLOCK_NEEDED, "Wallet is unlocked for minting only.");

Overwhelming balance of probability: not a coingen coin.

Cheers,

Graham
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
Bitrated user: ahmedbodi.
okay, here's a list of coins generated via coingen, as maintained automatically by the coingen site.  I haven't listed all of these because with a lot of them there's no evidence that they even launched. 

http://coingen.bluematt.me/status.html

Gamecoin, Cloudcoin, Doubloon, Onecoin, and Americancoin have definitely  been generated by coingen.

If there've been multiple coins by those names, then certainly the fact that at least one of them was a coingen coin is an important part of the history, and may be one of the reasons why it's dead.  And honestly it doesn't matter which of them was the original; this thread is only about which one is dead.

Androidtokens, though was definitely my mistake; the coingen coin was 'androin' and I misread it.  Thanks for the info.

Regarding Bottlecaps and EZcoin, please provide a source for your information and I'll be happy to correct the list.  I observed that they've been delisted from coinmarketcap at http://coinmarketcap.com/all.html - where else should I be looking? 

Sorry sir but they were not produced by coingen. They were done by hand using shakezula's cloning guide. We can battle it out all you want but the fact stands
Activity: 134
Merit: 100
The End Times are Upon Us
For purposes of this discussion, I'm going to count any coin as DEAD, even if its blockchain is still running, when it is currently either delisted from all exchanges, or when it ought to have been because its total market capitalization has wandered south of US$5000.  

Nothing will be taken off this list until or unless it claws its way out of the grave by having its market capitalization climb over US$5000 and stay there for 90 days.    

Dobbscoin (BOB)
current status: dead as a ...  well, dead.  Created via Coingen.

Can't argue with your definition, as stated - tho market capitalization of DobbsCoin (BOB) value as compared to USD is about as valid as counting the coin dead because of it's initial coingen roots. Coingen has many issues, all of which have been completely overcome over this projects learning curve. Coingen is for the most part a solid platform with commit historys all the way back to Bitcoins Initial Commit in August 2009 and once repaired has proven itself a worthy service. Shit.. coingen got me into crypto to begin with, so it was certainly worth the .2 BTC just for the experience, not to mention the fun I've had the last five months. I can imagine the same can be said for a bazillion shitcoin 'developers'.

As to an DobbsCoins (or any private currencies)'s relevance to the USD as a qualification for your death sentence:  Not everyone's intention is profit. Besides, by this time next year you may not even be able to buy a sandwtch with $5,000 USD. And by X-Day - After the Xists planetary carpet bombing, when THOSE WORTHY of "BOBS" LOVE are all wisked off the the Corporate SiN Galaxy aboard the 'Pleasure Saucers' ..your precious bitcoins wont be worth SQUAT, 'cos anyone who's been paying attention knows that Dobbscoin (BOB) is THE ONLY cryptocurency accepted there.. & THE PINKS WILL BE BUMMIN' -oh yes!! It is TRUE.

The ONLY Crypto-Currency accepted on the Pleasure Saucers.
"BOB" brings a NEW DESTINY for the abnormal. (BOB) comes to JUSTIFY our sins;
to UNMASK the Conspiracy, and to get us back the SLACK they stole away!

When two or three are gathered in my name, and I am not there; do you not feel my hands in your pockets? - J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

ARE YOU LOOKING FOR SOMETHING FOR NOTHING?
Then you've come to the right place.
http://www.dobbscoin.info
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1129
Today I went and learned the sad sad story of Etoken.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ann-etokenimportant-announcement-etoken-436750
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ann-etoken-rare-website-11-languages-new-version-mandatory-update-403597

A 'rare' coin with a one-coin per block reward -- except that there were two 'special' blocks that paid a million each.  It was managed with periodic bonus multipliers, whose harmonic periods created a pattern of constructive reinforcement.   Which was, of course, destructive to the value of the coin.

Did they not look at the source code and realize what it meant?  Could they not do math?  Or did they make the more profound mistake of implicitly trusting a completely unknown, untraceable human being? 
legendary
Activity: 996
Merit: 1013
If you don't mind me asking, what's your motivation here?  Why would you come in behind a fairly clearcut case of a scam, and try to relaunch or 'redeem' this thing? 

No I don't mind at all, it's a fair question.

But first of all I'm not totally convinced that the original coin operator was committing a premeditated scam, although of course
he was after financial gain like everybody else. That is still something we will find out.

My decision to keep the coin afloat was influenced by two factors, 1) The immediate cause was that I wanted to react against unprofessionalism in the coin creation business  2) more than that I like the idea and the theme of the coin - whatever its original purpose - and I see a possibility of re-crafting it as an instrument with which the community can prove that crypto isn't just about numbers and greed, it can embody social innovation and advance the evolution of decentralized communities.

So my intentions are a bit idealist, and time will tell how irrational they are...

I remembered after posting that there was another coin of the same name, and that is possibly the Lovecoin created by coingen.
legendary
On the coingen.io site there's a list of coins that people have paid him to generate.  One such coin was named 'lovecoin'.  I don't know whether it's the one you're working with, or whether a coingen framework was where the previous dev started, or what.  But there's definitely been a 'lovecoin' generated via coingen.

I went and investigated about Lovecoin in order to update it properly and make sure that there's a proper distinction between the first round and the relaunch in this list. 

It's a real shame about the scammy first version, 'lovecoinproject' vanishing with the premine, etc.  Best of luck trying to resurrect this. 

If you don't mind me asking, what's your motivation here?  Why would you come in behind a fairly clearcut case of a scam, and try to relaunch or 'redeem' this thing? 
legendary
Activity: 996
Merit: 1013
LoveCoin(LOVE)
Uh, love is good, right?  I mean ...  Well, okay, but what did a cryptocurrency supposedly have to do with love? Created via Coingen.

Link to revival thread:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/lovecoin-revival-100-proof-of-stake-615965

where you will also find explanation what we're aiming to do with it.

And it's not a coingen coin, where'd you get that idea from?

Activity: 228
Merit: 100
This is a great list and it'd be nice to see it hosted somewhere.
Activity: 443
Merit: 250
JesusCoin will be back after three days.
legendary
Today added VirtualMiningCoin(VMC) to the list. 

Also updated Cannacoin - someone wrote to tell me it isn't dead, and to be fair its market cap is over $5K at the moment.  We'll see if it makes it for 90 days.

I notice Bellacoin and Skeincoin are back over $5K too.  I hope those make it out of the grave, but I'm not going to play favorites. 

And I notice Aphroditecoin's whole market cap has declined from less than the price of a pizza to less than the price of a decent hamburger.  But it's still there.  What's up with that?

legendary
I just saw that Aphroditecoin was traded today. 

And that at the price it was traded, the market capitalization for it is standing at US$ SIXTEEN dollars.

That's kind of stunning.  People are still running a block chain that represents a currency ALL OF WHICH could now be bought  cheaper than a pizza.

legendary
Silicon Valley Coin - Claimed sending out a mailer that said "free money" to people in Silicon Valley would spark mass adoption.

Thanks for the info, on Silly Valley coin and Electriccoin.  Like I said, if I have to hunt all this stuff on my own I'll probably never catch up! 

legendary
What about Tenebrix and Fairbrix? Tenebrix was the first scrypt coin and Fairbrix was a clone of Tenebrix without the premine. Litecoin was heavily based on Fairbrix I believe.

Are they considered dead or not?

Yes, in fact they are dead.  Or at least, no longer traded. Thanks for the headsup; they just hadn't popped up in any of the spots I found on my initial search.  So I added them today.
Activity: 74
Merit: 10
What about Tenebrix and Fairbrix? Tenebrix was the first scrypt coin and Fairbrix was a clone of Tenebrix without the premine. Litecoin was heavily based on Fairbrix I believe.

Are they considered dead or not?
Activity: 109
Electric (Volt) - Started by "Deviant Two". The owner of mining pools, a self proclaimed Christian who was also involved in the Cryptorush exchange.
This is a really great idea. I hope more people post details they know! It would be amazing if we were able to get back to the beginning, catch up, then stay on top of it.

Truly a great idea.

You started just in time to pull it off
Silicon Valley Coin - Claimed sending out a mailer that said "free money" to people in Silicon Valley would spark mass adoption. The pitch was that someone influential would get their junkmail invitation to receive 600 worthless coins, then head right to their computer and start downloading the wallet from some website that would be completely foreign to them. Then said person would say WOW, Im going to talk to my friends and get this thing going. Not a joke. The early investors/miners, dev, and his sockpuppets were dead serious. The thread is a classic example of a pump and dump attempt.
legendary
Added Rotocoin, Cryptographic Anomaly, and Electronic Gulden.

legendary
Today added Limecoin (currently market cap 4406), Gaelcoin (currently market cap 4038), Polcoin(currently market cap 3802), and icoin(currently market cap 2554).

Icoin in particular has had a spectacular drop;  I have noted a former market cap of $14700 for it and I think that was only a week and a half ago.  Limecoin, at the same time, had a market cap of about $19400, so it has dropped "only" about 75%. 

It seems that when the bottoms drop out of these, they drop very fast.  Which I wouldn't really have noticed except that I happened to keep former market cap information a few days ago. 
Pages:
Jump to:
© 2020, Bitcointalksearch.org