Pages:
Author

Topic: [NEW] Bitmain Announces Antminer A3 - page 56. (Read 22419 times)

DrG
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035
January 19, 2018, 01:43:13 PM
Obelisk strikes back  Grin

We prepared for something like this by adding an extra feature to the SC1. We can do a soft-fork that slightly changes the PoW algorithm which would invalidate the bitmain ASICs, but allow the SC1 units to continue working.

And yet the SIA devs don't see the irony in criticizing Bitmain (Bitmain's pool actually) for mining empty blocks and being a threat to the community, while they are implementing some sort of kill switch in their ASIC.  Its almost like they knew this scenario would happen.  What a bunch of scum bags.

They knew this was coming. I knew this was coming. People in the Obelisk thread guessed this would happen.

Devs can do what they want - they are called developers. Sia community can give them the middle finger and stick to Bitmain's fork or they can give Bitmain the finger and stick to Dev's fork.

I'm waiting for Sia Cash to appear on the exchanges now, and soon Litecoin cash, Dash cash....  Grin
Activity: 86
Merit: 10
January 19, 2018, 01:14:35 PM
Stay away from NiceHash unless you like making the lowest daily amount possible and don't mind getting ripped off - literally
Activity: 448
Merit: 255
January 19, 2018, 01:05:09 PM
So, does everyone think the boat has passed on this one?  Is it still smart to grab one on the next batch?  Even it difficulty jumps 5x, you'd still be making $100 a day or so...

Ok, I know there are a lot of new people here these days, and most people don't understand the math of mining so here is crash course before you get burned.

Currently SIA has a combined hashrate of ~500TH...this is the combined hashrate of all GPUs currently mining on the network (most GPUs do 1-2GH if your mining SIA direct). All it would take is JUST 600 A3 units to just DOUBLE the current hashrate/diff.

Once the 6k chinese units get turned on next week before any of you have your A3's the network hashrate will spike to 4,800 TH, thats a 10x increase from today, so that nice little calculator you use that tells you you will get rich in 10 days will go from $600 a day to $60 a day before you even get it.

Now double that again once everyone else gets theirs, and your down to $30 a day the first day you start mining.
the 600 a day speculators are laughable , still $60 to $100 days
which is what i told my friends and brother who also ordered will most likely bet
geting is a very good payout , even for only a month.

on top of that siacoin is down in value a bit from two weeks ago.

but yeah this aint no get quick rich scheme but $60 a day is very good in the current environment.

add in the fact that gpus and other asics are being stupidly price gouged or totally unavailable
batch 1 is still a good investment.  I would not but any further batches though

While batch 1 may bring in a good amount of money, it will hopefully be enough to also cover the cost of the machine, remembering with other miners like the L3+ and S9 you can sell them down the road for much of what you paid for them. If these will be worthless in the near future, you won't get that same money back. If they turn out to be good though of course you will be able to sell them and get your money back!
Activity: 461
Merit: 101
January 19, 2018, 01:02:17 PM

Completely sold out

Activity: 1179
Merit: 131
January 19, 2018, 01:00:04 PM

We prepared for something like this by adding an extra feature to the SC1. We can do a soft-fork that slightly changes the PoW algorithm which would invalidate the bitmain ASICs, but allow the SC1 units to continue working.

And yet the SIA devs don't see the irony in criticizing Bitmain (Bitmain's pool actually) for mining empty blocks and being a threat to the community, while they are implementing some sort of kill switch in their ASIC.  Its almost like they knew this scenario would happen.  What a bunch of scum bags.
Activity: 1148
Merit: 132
January 19, 2018, 12:56:48 PM
So, does everyone think the boat has passed on this one?  Is it still smart to grab one on the next batch?  Even it difficulty jumps 5x, you'd still be making $100 a day or so...

Ok, I know there are a lot of new people here these days, and most people don't understand the math of mining so here is crash course before you get burned.

Currently SIA has a combined hashrate of ~500TH...this is the combined hashrate of all GPUs currently mining on the network (most GPUs do 1-2GH if your mining SIA direct). All it would take is JUST 600 A3 units to just DOUBLE the current hashrate/diff.

Once the 6k chinese units get turned on next week before any of you have your A3's the network hashrate will spike to 4,800 TH, thats a 10x increase from today, so that nice little calculator you use that tells you you will get rich in 10 days will go from $600 a day to $60 a day before you even get it.

Now double that again once everyone else gets theirs, and your down to $30 a day the first day you start mining.
the 600 a day speculators are laughable , still $60 to $100 days
which is what i told my friends and brother who also ordered will most likely bet
geting is a very good payout , even for only a month.

on top of that siacoin is down in value a bit from two weeks ago.

but yeah this aint no get quick rich scheme but $60 a day is very good in the current environment.

add in the fact that gpus and other asics are being stupidly price gouged or totally unavailable
batch 1 is still a good investment.  I would not but any further batches though
Activity: 420
Merit: 255
January 19, 2018, 12:51:58 PM
Did they end up releasing more yesterday / last night??
seems not, i work nights and i was up
checking the page till 5 am and no batches were released
Its sold out,

Obelisk threaten soft fork
The announcement of the Antminer A3 launch came out of the blue and has already caused a stir in the mining community due to its focus on the Blake(2b) hashing algorithm.

As it stands, Blockchain cloud storage service Sia uses Siacoin as it’s cryptocurrency, which is mined using the Blake(2b) algorithm.

Nebulous Labs, the studio behind Sia, launched its own ASIC cryptocurrency miners Obelisk which has been in presale since 2017. Two miners are available, the Decred cryptocurrency miner DC1 and the Siacoin miner SC1. The first batch has already sold out and is expected to ship in June this year.

Bitmain’s surprise announcement effectively muscles in on the market before Obelisk has shipped its new SC1 miners. The Chinese mining company has promised delivery within 10 days after full payment has been made.

This has not gone unnoticed, and Obelisk founder David Vorick posted a stern warning to Bitmain on the Obelisk Reddit forum, hinting at a soft fork that would disable the Bitmain A3 units from being able to mine the coin.

https://cointelegraph.com/news/obelisk-threaten-soft-fork-in-reaction-to-bitmain-antminer-a3-launch
Activity: 1148
Merit: 132
January 19, 2018, 12:47:55 PM
seems not, i work nights and i was up
checking the page till 5 am and no batches were released
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1400
January 19, 2018, 12:31:05 PM

legendary
Activity: 2548
Merit: 1054
CPU Web Mining 🕸️ on webmining.io
January 19, 2018, 12:14:00 PM
Official response from the SIA [SC] Dev Team

"Bitmain has announced an ASIC miner for Sia. This has made a lot of people uneasy, especially those who preordered Obelisk units. So I'll first address the Obelisk units in isolation. Though we don't have the full chips back yet, the chips are in production and we have our final simulations. We can confidently state that the bitmain unit is far less energy efficient, costs more money, and is an objectively worse miner than the SC1. So people who ordered Obelisk units will still be receiving hardware of substantial value.

As a developer, Bitmain moving into the Sia space makes me uneasy. Bitmain has historically been extremely greedy, and very willing to sacrifice the well being of the community, of their customers, and of the ecosystem if it means they can make a couple of extra dollars. The biggest way this has manifested for altcoins is that they will over-sell hardware. When a ton of miners suddenly join the network, the difficulty adjusts. If too many miners join the network, nobody is able to make any money, and everyone eats a loss on their hardware purchase.

Bitmain has no qualms about overselling their units to buyers. They take massive margins on their hardware (>50%) and make more money than the total block reward at the expense of their customers. They over-saturate the mining market in a way that hurts their buyers. I think we will see this with Sia. Bitmain will sell more units than the Sia ecosystem can sustain, and many people end up with large losses. Bitmain will not end up with losses, because they were paid up-front with non-refundable money.

Bitmain also has a history of doing things like mining empty blocks, and like refusing to activate soft-forks that are beneficial to the network. They were openly hostile to the Bhttps://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2769785.120itcoin-core developers, and actively blocked the activation of a very valuable network feature (Segwit).

We, the dev team, are not happy that Bitmain has made an ASIC for Sia. We are not happy that many Sia supporters are at risk of losing money by buying these miners (from over-saturation), and we are not happy that Bitmain may choose to interfere with our network. This is not a commentary on general ASIC companies, this is a commentary on Bitmain specifically.

We did add an extra feature to the SC1 unit that would allow us to invalidate the Bitmain hardware without invalidating the SC1. The community would need to choose to adopt a soft-fork (it's not something we could just magically activate, we have to change the hashing algorithm slightly), and then we could get rid of this cycle of Bitmain hardware. Of course, they could just create another round of hardware (likely taking ~3 months). And, it would hurt Bitmain customers more than it would hurt Bitmain. Bitmain has already sold around $20 million of non-refundable hardware. They have made their profit, and a soft-fork wouldn't change that.

As much as I would like to punch Bitmain in the nose, I don't think a soft-fork achieves what we want. If the hardware is used to harm the Sia network, either by doing double spends, rejecting soft forks, mining empty blocks, we will invalidate it without hesitation. But for the time being, I think the best thing to do is to advise people not to buy the Bitmain hardware (to protect yourself from the oversaturation that Bitmain tries to create), and then to watch and wait, and respond more if it appears that the network is under attack. Overall though, I do not think Sia is in trouble.

I am looking forward to the thoughts from the community."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4bxnepOcyM
Okay.....I had to stop listening to that. While your premise is correct and THEY KNOW it. You are the rudest, most loudmouthed little asshole I've ever heard. You spend 5 minutes telling everyone what an amazing force you are in the Block Chain and then you start talking like a typical little nutless punk. You rage empty threats, swear constantly to try and sound tough yet, you can hardly even express a cogent thought. You like threatening people? Here's a promise, not a threat. If I had to spend more than 30 seconds in a room with a loudmouthed shitstain little punk like you, I  would literally beat you into retardation. What a complete piece of shit you are.

I don't care and good luck with that lol
Activity: 1
Merit: 0
January 19, 2018, 11:47:12 AM
So anybody knows that how many A3 have Bitmain sold yet? Huh  I knew that they sold 6K miners in Chinese mainland.
Merit: 110
January 19, 2018, 11:46:26 AM
@ Alphaminer;  This is an excellent synopsis. I couldn't agree more. Nicely done....thank you.
Activity: 224
Merit: 102
Too Many Miners Not Enough Electricity
January 19, 2018, 11:43:31 AM
Activity: 23
January 19, 2018, 10:40:14 AM
I hear bitmain is a reputable company and before the A3, they supported 3 algos for 3 major coins. I would imagine they researched SIA before investing time and $$$ into the A3. In the crypto market things move fast so wasting time and money into development of the A3 would be a fatal mistake. Flooding the market with too many A3s would also be fatal especially after the D3 fiasco and with new competition moving into the ASIC market. With that said, I think bitmain has done their due diligence on this venture and the A3 will be profitable for many.

On the flip side; SIACOIN is one of the few coins with a purpose. In other words, bitcoin, dash and litecoin are speculative, whereas SIA is backed my cloud based storage which apparently looks to be enterprise level if they are comparing it to Amazon's and Microsoft's. Amazon's web storage is something used by major companies with millions of users. If SIA is better and cheaper and better as they claim then you have companies like Netflix and DropBox who may switch to SIA which would create huge demand for this crypto considering you need it to buy their service.

Ultimately I see bitmain as putting SIA on the map and their coin will appreciate in value as a result. The smart folks out there will start hording SIA which will drive the price up. Assuming SIA can get their technical difficulties figured out.

Personally, if I had an A3 in hand I'd probably mine on Nicehash for part of the time and then devote some time to mining SIA directly and hording it. Sure you can make $500/day by cashing out, but you're missing the possible upside of the market movement of SIA long term. $500 SIA today might be worth $500k in the next few years. If you were mining bitcoin back in the day would you have rather cashed it out as you mined it or hold it until now??
Activity: 275
Merit: 258
January 19, 2018, 10:32:42 AM
Merit: 110
January 19, 2018, 10:11:29 AM

"Bitmain has announced an ASIC miner for Sia. This has made a lot of people uneasy, especially those who preordered Obelisk units. So I'll first address the Obelisk units in isolation. Though we don't have the full chips back yet, the chips are in production and we have our final simulations. We can confidently state that the bitmain unit is far less energy efficient, costs more money, and is an objectively worse miner than the SC1. So people who ordered Obelisk units will still be receiving hardware of substantial value.

As a developer, Bitmain moving into the Sia space makes me uneasy. Bitmain has historically been extremely greedy, and very willing to sacrifice the well being of the community, of their customers, and of the ecosystem if it means they can make a couple of extra dollars. The biggest way this has manifested for altcoins is that they will over-sell hardware. When a ton of miners suddenly join the network, the difficulty adjusts. If too many miners join the network, nobody is able to make any money, and everyone eats a loss on their hardware purchase.

Bitmain has no qualms about overselling their units to buyers. They take massive margins on their hardware (>50%) and make more money than the total block reward at the expense of their customers. They over-saturate the mining market in a way that hurts their buyers. I think we will see this with Sia. Bitmain will sell more units than the Sia ecosystem can sustain, and many people end up with large losses. Bitmain will not end up with losses, because they were paid up-front with non-refundable money.

Bitmain also has a history of doing things like mining empty blocks, and like refusing to activate soft-forks that are beneficial to the network. They were openly hostile to the Bhttps://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2769785.120itcoin-core developers, and actively blocked the activation of a very valuable network feature (Segwit).

We, the dev team, are not happy that Bitmain has made an ASIC for Sia. We are not happy that many Sia supporters are at risk of losing money by buying these miners (from over-saturation), and we are not happy that Bitmain may choose to interfere with our network. This is not a commentary on general ASIC companies, this is a commentary on Bitmain specifically.

We did add an extra feature to the SC1 unit that would allow us to invalidate the Bitmain hardware without invalidating the SC1. The community would need to choose to adopt a soft-fork (it's not something we could just magically activate, we have to change the hashing algorithm slightly), and then we could get rid of this cycle of Bitmain hardware. Of course, they could just create another round of hardware (likely taking ~3 months). And, it would hurt Bitmain customers more than it would hurt Bitmain. Bitmain has already sold around $20 million of non-refundable hardware. They have made their profit, and a soft-fork wouldn't change that.

As much as I would like to punch Bitmain in the nose, I don't think a soft-fork achieves what we want. If the hardware is used to harm the Sia network, either by doing double spends, rejecting soft forks, mining empty blocks, we will invalidate it without hesitation. But for the time being, I think the best thing to do is to advise people not to buy the Bitmain hardware (to protect yourself from the oversaturation that Bitmain tries to create), and then to watch and wait, and respond more if it appears that the network is under attack. Overall though, I do not think Sia is in trouble.

Okay.....I had to stop listening to that. While your premise is correct and THEY KNOW it. You are the rudest, most loudmouthed little asshole I've ever heard. You spend 5 minutes telling everyone what an amazing force you are in the Block Chain and then you start talking like a typical little nutless punk. You rage empty threats, swear constantly to try and sound tough yet, you can hardly even express a cogent thought. You like threatening people? Here's a promise, not a threat. If I had to spend more than 30 seconds in a room with a loudmouthed shitstain little punk like you, I  would literally beat you into retardation. What a complete piece of shit you are.
Activity: 28
January 19, 2018, 08:31:10 AM

For a fork to work they would need all their coin holders or at least a majority of them to change to the new fork which isn’t easy to do (Bch for example)
Activity: 4
January 19, 2018, 08:30:35 AM
Can some one help me to know.
They are announcing their product A3 on 17 January, and delivery will be within 10 days after full payment. So 27 January first customers will plug their A3?
Thanks
copper member
Activity: 4
January 19, 2018, 05:07:55 AM
well, Sia Coin Devs team are considering a Soft Fork to make the Antminer A3 a piece of junk
It is weird how fast they announced and sold the miner makes us think what is going on between Bitmain and Sia team !

Looks like a crypto cold war Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 2548
Merit: 1054
CPU Web Mining 🕸️ on webmining.io
January 19, 2018, 04:34:36 AM

Pages:
Jump to: