Pages:
Author

Topic: [NEW] Bitmain Announces Antminer A3 - page 55. (Read 22419 times)

Activity: 461
Merit: 101
January 20, 2018, 02:32:35 AM
Antminer A3 SHIPPING STARTED YESTERDAY 

Received my tracking No. Smiley Smiley Smiley
Activity: 1414
Merit: 487
YouTube.com/VoskCoin
January 20, 2018, 12:14:30 AM
A ton of Antminer A3 threads lol but here's my 2c on the subject I think it's really relevant to well . .everyone who bought one because some of the SIA devs are potentially conspiring to fork antminer a3's off their blockchain

https://youtu.be/ADK6SUGfb6w
Activity: 420
Merit: 110
January 19, 2018, 11:25:27 PM
I don't think Luxor mining pool is set up for asic miners, maybe in future.
I am pretty sure Luxor is setting up to ASIC. The Dev team is trying to push Luxor as an option for the A3 ASIC squad versus Antpool.
DrG
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035
January 19, 2018, 10:30:16 PM
I think you can already see both sides with users venting in the last 30 posts:
SIDE A) Bitmain is screwing over the Sia community and those who supported the Sia devs by making miners for their own personal greed.
SIDE B) Sia devs are being childish and centralizing Sia by offering a fork that the penalized buyers of A3s who wanted to secure the SIA network.

I wish I could sell popcorn on the forums  Grin

Ya I don't want to see either side get screwed.  But the way it looks like the Obelisk miners are getting the shorter end of the stick.  I wish maybe they can do something to help compensate the Oblisk miners.  Like maybe they are mining a separate obelisk coin apart of the Sia Network thats minable by oblisk miners that have unique value or Sia can have a separate chain called SiaCash for bitmain A3 miners or offer masternodes to the obelisk miners.

I dont' know exactly the solution but I hope I hope they can come up with a solution that benefits both parties. A3 and obelisk miners

You know what be cool... Bitmain goes to Sia devs and says "hey, we'll compensate you guys for the wasted Obelisk development. We'll give your Obelisk buyers a chance to buy an A3 at 1/2 price that they can get delivery now instead of waiting 6 more months. And you guys drop plans to fork the coin and feature us as a Sia partner."

Looks like contentious forks might still be a thing in 2018.

Like I said, I wish I could sell popcorn lol.
DrG
legendary
January 19, 2018, 10:24:58 PM
Obelisk strikes back  Grin

We prepared for something like this by adding an extra feature to the SC1. We can do a soft-fork that slightly changes the PoW algorithm which would invalidate the bitmain ASICs, but allow the SC1 units to continue working.

And yet the SIA devs don't see the irony in criticizing Bitmain (Bitmain's pool actually) for mining empty blocks and being a threat to the community, while they are implementing some sort of kill switch in their ASIC.  Its almost like they knew this scenario would happen.  What a bunch of scum bags.

They knew this was coming. I knew this was coming. People in the Obelisk thread guessed this would happen.

Devs can do what they want - they are called developers. Sia community can give them the middle finger and stick to Bitmain's fork or they can give Bitmain the finger and stick to Dev's fork.

I'm waiting for Sia Cash to appear on the exchanges now, and soon Litecoin cash, Dash cash....  Grin

That's not a question the "real" community and supporters of SIA ask. They are clearly stand behind SIA and team. And the same is true for Obelisk team.

On the contrary - the voices for a fork are loud in the community and not in the SIA team.

The question that comes up much more - are the buyers of antminers real members of the SIA community? Do you have to take them into consideration?

Or should bitmain continue to eat on the longtime work of others?

This is not the first time a possible fork has rocked the boat and it wont be the last. The possibility of a fork can be viewed with the benefit of hindsight vision when looking at the other notable forks: BTC/BCH, ETH/ETC, ZEC/ZCL.

In each case everybody is going to claim the other side is a fringe and not part of the "community". Are people who buy pantloads of A3 miners to secure their vision part of the Sia community? Well they are mining the algo and supporting it, but they're unlikely to be adding to the development of the coin. Can you see Jihan talking with the Sia devs... probably not.

SIDE A) Bitmain is screwing over the Sia community and those who supported the Sia devs by making miners for their own personal greed.
SIDE B) Sia devs are being childish and centralizing Sia by offering a fork that the penalized buyers of A3s who wanted to secure the SIA network.

The big difference in the examples you mention and this case is that in those cases they are still using the same algorithms, and the forks occurred due to major differences in the vision of the future.  The SIA developers get paid by taking a cut of every transaction.  Unless Sia is run by the Corleone family, a hardware developer who makes a device to hash an algorithm shouldn't need to get the developer's blessing.  Someone who mines the coin shouldn't have to be active in the community.

Yeah I didn't think about the algo being changed, but for all intents and purposes it is the same functional effect. It's not like ETH and ETC are ever going to kiss and make up and merge the 2 chains again.

Here's the thing though, Bitmain doesn't need Sia's blessing. If Bitmain sells 10x as much hash power as the Obelisk, they could always continue their own fork with the current algo. If enough of the Sia community does in fact support Bitmain (I'm assuming buying a miner means you support the project) then Bitmain will become the major chain and Sia devs would have to bow to the wishes of the miners. After all that's where the money will be going. Isn't that the whole arguement with BTC - Jihan vs Blockstream. If people get fed up with Bitcoin core and BCH takes over in value then Bitmain will win. The free market will decide the course - or supposedly it's portrayed that way. We all know some back room dealings will go on cough New York Agreement cough.

I'm not sure I agree with the statement that the one who mines doesn't have to be active in the community. Yeah it's true that most ETH holders don't have a clue what a smart contract is nor will they ever run a PoS node, but every miner and node is supporting a network whether they like it or not. Bitmain made this clear with ASICBoost. There is politics in mining whether the miner likes it or not.

The things that sucks is that the little guys, us, the peasant miner, get caught in the crossfire. Either the Obelisk buyers are going to get screwed or A3 buyers might have some trouble finding profitable work with their A3s.

I don't really have any skin in the game with either miner. I just hold some Sia that I mined with my GPUs way back when I stopped mining last summer when it got way too hot to dual mine.
Activity: 434
Merit: 107
January 19, 2018, 10:20:20 PM
Any idea how the difficulty will change over the next week or month.

Is the A3 another D3 ? I think its pretty obvious the Obelisk is done at this point.
Activity: 86
Merit: 10
January 19, 2018, 06:54:28 PM
I don't think Luxor mining pool is set up for asic miners, maybe in future.
January 19, 2018, 06:14:55 PM

Ya I don't want to see either side get screwed.  But the way it looks like the Obelisk miners are getting the shorter end of the stick.  I wish maybe they can do something to help compensate the Oblisk miners.  Like maybe they are mining a separate obelisk coin apart of the Sia Network thats minable by oblisk miners that have unique value or Sia can have a separate chain called SiaCash for bitmain A3 miners or offer masternodes to the obelisk miners.

I dont' know exactly the solution but I hope I hope they can come up with a solution that benefits both parties. A3 and obelisk miners
Miners can choose to mine on Luxor, which diverts a fee to the dev team no?
Activity: 846
Merit: 115
January 19, 2018, 05:37:41 PM

Activity: 1179
Merit: 131
January 19, 2018, 05:35:51 PM

We prepared for something like this by adding an extra feature to the SC1. We can do a soft-fork that slightly changes the PoW algorithm which would invalidate the bitmain ASICs, but allow the SC1 units to continue working.

And yet the SIA devs don't see the irony in criticizing Bitmain (Bitmain's pool actually) for mining empty blocks and being a threat to the community, while they are implementing some sort of kill switch in their ASIC.  Its almost like they knew this scenario would happen.  What a bunch of scum bags.

They knew this was coming. I knew this was coming. People in the Obelisk thread guessed this would happen.

Devs can do what they want - they are called developers. Sia community can give them the middle finger and stick to Bitmain's fork or they can give Bitmain the finger and stick to Dev's fork.

I'm waiting for Sia Cash to appear on the exchanges now, and soon Litecoin cash, Dash cash....  Grin

That's not a question the "real" community and supporters of SIA ask. They are clearly stand behind SIA and team. And the same is true for Obelisk team.

On the contrary - the voices for a fork are loud in the community and not in the SIA team.

The question that comes up much more - are the buyers of antminers real members of the SIA community? Do you have to take them into consideration?

This is not the first time a possible fork has rocked the boat and it wont be the last. The possibility of a fork can be viewed with the benefit of hindsight vision when looking at the other notable forks: BTC/BCH, ETH/ETC, ZEC/ZCL.

In each case everybody is going to claim the other side is a fringe and not part of the "community". Are people who buy pantloads of A3 miners to secure their vision part of the Sia community? Well they are mining the algo and supporting it, but they're unlikely to be adding to the development of the coin. Can you see Jihan talking with the Sia devs... probably not.

The big difference in the examples you mention and this case is that in those cases they are still using the same algorithms, and the forks occurred due to major differences in the vision of the future.  The SIA developers get paid by taking a cut of every transaction.  Unless Sia is run by the Corleone family, a hardware developer who makes a device to hash an algorithm shouldn't need to get the developer's blessing.  Someone who mines the coin shouldn't have to be active in the community.
Activity: 86
Merit: 10
January 19, 2018, 05:31:13 PM
I'm planing on taking some profits from the A3 and get a NAS storage device and set it up on the Sia Network, similar to this article describes.

https://mtlynch.io/sia-via-docker/

There are various NAS manufactures on the market and I don't think they are infighting like the makers of mining equipment like to do...lol
January 19, 2018, 05:29:21 PM

I mean I'll be honest, I'm not in the SIA discord or anything, but when the developer posts a long winded, vindictive statement, it leads me to believe its the developer and not the "community" who is upset.  It was a very poor idea for the developers to get involved in the ASIC business.  It detracts from their focus and calls into question their fairness.  And to be quite frank, the fact that it takes them a year from pre-sale to bring this to market shows they really are clueless in the ASIC business.  And lets not forget, Nebulous is a private, for-profit company.  Its not like this is some big community effort where everyone is a volunteer.

You shouldn't have to be "a member of the community" to mine or use Siacoin.   The miners move the blockchain plain and simple.  They are rewarded for their efforts.  And how does Bitmain continue to eat the longtime work of others?  They focus on one thing:  Hardware.  They make the fastest and most efficient miners.  Sia didn't invent the blockchain, Sia didn't invent the Blake hash, Sia didn't invent decentralized storage.  Are they eating the long term work of others?
January 19, 2018, 05:23:41 PM
@ DRG      I'll buy some....but will you take escrow?? LOL
DrG
legendary
January 19, 2018, 05:20:48 PM

January 19, 2018, 05:15:31 PM
Bitmain is too invasive.  I like bitmain for delivering on good products, I  got an L3+ and pre ordered a decred Obelisk.    

I am also willing to preorder a bitmain Decred miner if they offered it because I know they will deliver.

But what Bitmain is doing is just not right and pretty jacked up to the community.  The Sia team worked hard and should fork off and reject the bitmain asics.  Bitmain can go mine some other blake2b coin but they should not over take the Sia network due to greed.

That's why Im a big fan of bitcoin gold and not letting Bitmain have all the centralized control.  

This community keeps saying we're decentralized yet I see miners buying up all the bitmain A3 and going against decentralization.

So let me get this straight, you think Bitmain is greedy but you support the developers of Bitcoin Gold?!  What an upside down world we live in.
Activity: 94
Merit: 2
January 19, 2018, 04:54:59 PM
If more A3's come out, there is no way anyone should buy one at this point. If you did not get one in the first day or 2, by the time they arrive they will be completely "D3'd" or screwed... Too bad only SIA uses blake(2b), no other coins out there to share the new tasing power....
Activity: 846
Merit: 115
January 19, 2018, 03:32:35 PM
Bitmain is too invasive.  I like bitmain for delivering on good products, I  got an L3+ and pre ordered a decred Obelisk.    

I am also willing to preorder a bitmain Decred miner if they offered it because I know they will deliver.

But what Bitmain is doing is just not right and pretty jacked up to the community.  The Sia team worked hard and should fork off and reject the bitmain asics.  Bitmain can go mine some other blake2b coin but they should not over take the Sia network due to greed.

That's why Im a big fan of bitcoin gold and not letting Bitmain have all the centralized control.  

This community keeps saying we're decentralized yet I see miners buying up all the bitmain A3 and going against decentralization.
Activity: 224
Merit: 102
Too Many Miners Not Enough Electricity
January 19, 2018, 02:44:37 PM
any of these companies could have dropped with Bitmain is doing, they have no, in fact are taking pre orders for August for god sakes....

Bitmain was first to the punch, now they wanna take their ball and go home??? come on
Activity: 203
Merit: 11
January 19, 2018, 02:18:43 PM

Activity: 90
Merit: 2
January 19, 2018, 02:16:41 PM
Halong Mining / DragonMint are now coming out with their own Blake(2b) ASIC.

No price nor date yet, BUT 3.5TH  THAT'S ~4.5X BITMAIN'S A3 and Obelisk's SC1 !!!!!!

https://halongmining.com/shop/dragonmint-b52-blake2b-miner

Sad to say, but Blake(2b) is now screwed....it's gonna be much worse than X11...at least that has several coins to spread the X11 hashing across, whereas afaik Blake(2b) is only Sia

EDIT: started as new thread https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/halong-mining-dragonmint-are-now-coming-out-with-their-own-blake2b-asic-2786066
Pages:
Jump to: