Author

Topic: New Official AMT Thread - page 129. (Read 149454 times)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
April 30, 2014, 11:15:59 AM
BFL is a business that shows up to work and answers the door and emails. We are talking apples and oranges.

Fair point. I am using the FTC to get results with them as they are violating a host of regulations with their current "policies"
Activity: 560
Merit: 504
I know the voices in my head aren't real.
April 30, 2014, 11:01:50 AM
I'd be very interested in buying this company. Money is no problem, but the brand AMT has run its course. The only reason I am interested in buying it is to smash everything thats left with a sledge hammer. That's the only value AMT would be to me.
why give them any more money?? they have already taken enough. maybe they would be willing to sell it for little of nothing just to get rid of the name.
April 30, 2014, 10:50:41 AM
[snip]
The issue is they decided to crowd-fund their business without first using kickstarter or indiegogo. Which will hold the funds in escrow and set up guarntees. This is where the failure lies. And now its been exploited via negligence or just outright theft depending on the company.
[snip]
Once legislators are made aware of this and enough constituents complain about it, it will get attention. It might be a good idea also to pass this along to California, Texas and Kansas legislators as well. get bi-partisan support on this and highlight the mining companies based in the respective states. Cointerra (TX), BFL (Kansas), Hashfast (CA). each of these states have growing technology hubs, and this will throw a black eye on each of them. Legislators will see the need to put a stop to this nonsense quickly. They will push for regulatory procedures to address this pre-order system and put a stop to it. Might affect innovation BUT people will have to go at it the old school way whichis getting funding via willing investors or the less conventional way of crowdfunding with an escrow system (like kickstarter or indiegogo)

A couple of quick thoughts, though I like where this is headed.

(1) Before sure in your documentary? to focus in the **pre-order** issue and its abuse by fraudsters.  You can include my experience with Xtreme Miners too and there are probably others.

(2) I would avoid focusing on the irreversible and untraceable nature of bitcoin transactions.  That might lead legislatures to start trying to regulate bitcoin in a very undesirable manner (requiring transactions go through clearinghouses for example, which would destroy the distributed ledger).  Legislative efforts along those lines would be disastrous (and wouldn't work ultimately, but would probably kill bitcoin).

Actually you want to address point 2 head on as its a misconception that its untracable. The open nature of the blockchain makes it so its easily tracable even more than cash. FINCEN and the DEA have even admitted to such. That should be highlighted to address the issue as it has official recognition in the matter. Will be very hard to dispute. Considering the mastercard lobby now against bitcoin this video could be one useful tool for or against bitcoin.
Activity: 434
Merit: 254
April 30, 2014, 10:45:19 AM
[snip]
The issue is they decided to crowd-fund their business without first using kickstarter or indiegogo. Which will hold the funds in escrow and set up guarntees. This is where the failure lies. And now its been exploited via negligence or just outright theft depending on the company.
[snip]
Once legislators are made aware of this and enough constituents complain about it, it will get attention. It might be a good idea also to pass this along to California, Texas and Kansas legislators as well. get bi-partisan support on this and highlight the mining companies based in the respective states. Cointerra (TX), BFL (Kansas), Hashfast (CA). each of these states have growing technology hubs, and this will throw a black eye on each of them. Legislators will see the need to put a stop to this nonsense quickly. They will push for regulatory procedures to address this pre-order system and put a stop to it. Might affect innovation BUT people will have to go at it the old school way whichis getting funding via willing investors or the less conventional way of crowdfunding with an escrow system (like kickstarter or indiegogo)

A couple of quick thoughts, though I like where this is headed.

(1) Before sure in your documentary? to focus in the **pre-order** issue and its abuse by fraudsters.  You can include my experience with Xtreme Miners too and there are probably others.

(2) I would avoid focusing on the irreversible and untraceable nature of bitcoin transactions.  That might lead legislatures to start trying to regulate bitcoin in a very undesirable manner (requiring transactions go through clearinghouses for example, which would destroy the distributed ledger).  Legislative efforts along those lines would be disastrous (and wouldn't work ultimately, but would probably kill bitcoin).
legendary
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
Cryptotalk.org - Get paid for every post!
April 30, 2014, 10:15:32 AM
Power...if you dont have the space, or power in your home or facility then it makes sense to host it somewhere that can. Thats actually a bargain to host it at that price.

It is if you only have one unit.  I just got a full rack at a nearby colocation facility, very secure large data center in Naperville, Illinois for $600/month which includes my first 40 amps of power (after that its metered but at a lower rate than I would pay at home).  I could theoretically fit 27 Spondoolies SP10 in there (assuming I could afford 27 of them, which I can't alas).  Power draw for 27 SP10's would be about 300 amps .. but my first 40 amps are included so i would only pay metered power for the remaining 260amps.. but considering that hosting 27 SP10s would cost well over $5,000 a month, you can see that a DIY rack in a good data center is still a much better alternative (granted my colocation deal is very good .. next best quote was over $900 so YMMV, but still if you have a lot of units paying a per unit hosting fee is probably never going to be a good deal vs a DIY rack).

The future will be apps that support  'collaborative consumption'.. uber, bnb, bitcoin (transaction verification), safecoin (storage)...
April 30, 2014, 10:08:08 AM
Power...if you dont have the space, or power in your home or facility then it makes sense to host it somewhere that can. Thats actually a bargain to host it at that price.

It is if you only have one unit.  I just got a full rack at a nearby colocation facility, very secure large data center in Naperville, Illinois for $600/month which includes my first 40 amps of power (after that its metered but at a lower rate than I would pay at home).  I could theoretically fit 27 Spondoolies SP10 in there (assuming I could afford 27 of them, which I can't alas).  Power draw for 27 SP10's would be about 300 amps .. but my first 40 amps are included so i would only pay metered power for the remaining 260amps.. but considering that hosting 27 SP10s would cost well over $5,000 a month, you can see that a DIY rack in a good data center is still a much better alternative (granted my colocation deal is very good .. next best quote was over $900 so YMMV, but still if you have a lot of units paying a per unit hosting fee is probably never going to be a good deal vs a DIY rack).
legendary
April 30, 2014, 09:53:18 AM
TOTAL BRICK here also for both orders:

1. Parts missing
2. They require 2 power supply in which I received 1 instead of 4.
3. Both Rigs are dead
4. Josh wont pick his phone up
5. Im down $12K
6. I feel like going and brake  his legs, but don't want trouble with the law.
7. Still paying towards loan that I took.

Josh - Jim, you are a Peace of work, i think best bet for you is to go and Hide in Russia like Snowden, because you have a huge lawsuit coming after you.

you took a loan to buy mining hardware??? *facepalm* you should never do that. use only disposable income. i.e mining profits

If they would have brought my rigs in time, I would have paid my loan and other money that i have invested that was no loan.

Does not matter where the money came from to buy this stuff, its still lost money.   I paid BTC for my unit when BTC was near the peak,  however I'm still considering this as a $6,000 loss.

Activity: 64
Merit: 10
April 30, 2014, 09:17:14 AM

1. Parts missing
3. Both Rigs are dead
5. Im down $12K

Josh - Jim, you are a Peace of work, i think best bet for you is to go and Hide in Russia like Snowden, because you have a huge lawsuit coming after you.

you took a loan to buy mining hardware??? *facepalm* you should never do that. use only disposable income. i.e mining profits

If they would have brought my rigs in time, I would have paid my loan and other money that i have invested that was no loan.
Activity: 588
April 30, 2014, 08:36:55 AM

1. Parts missing
3. Both Rigs are dead
5. Im down $12K

Activity: 64
Merit: 10
April 30, 2014, 08:32:59 AM

1. Parts missing
3. Both Rigs are dead
5. Im down $12K

legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 2667
Evil beware: We have waffles!
April 30, 2014, 08:21:08 AM

How do you turn the pi on?  There's no switch.
It turns on when the PSU is turned on.
Activity: 588
April 30, 2014, 07:51:49 AM
legendary
April 30, 2014, 07:43:54 AM

In my case I avoided the shipping issues. But I still have blown cards that I am working to address on my own before sending it back. I have not had success yet mostly because I have not had alot of time, but if I have some sort of fix for cards that can be plugged in but wont power up I will post the fix. This is for my own benefit as it would be for everyone elses. The DIY kit is not something I recommend for anyone without an advanced knowledge of Linux and electronics in general. Not just computers as this is not a typical computer system. There is calibration and other aspects involved in making this hardware work. If you are waiting on your hardware, check in with them again and see what happened. You might want to get it sooner at this point rather than later.

Huh?  You are still optimistic that they are delivering?  

Where do you ship this stuff back where there's an actual person accepting delivery?

I'm stuck here with a $6,000 ($2000 at depreciated costs) brick and AMT keeps promising parts but never delivering.  I'm waiting on a backplane.... AMT can't even deliver that.  How do you think they can deliver an entire working system?
April 30, 2014, 07:40:17 AM
legendary
April 30, 2014, 07:35:09 AM
Well my raspi doesn't seem to show any video when plugged in by itself.

Looks like I pretty much have a toasted system.

:-(

I got another raspi somewhere in the house, but can't locate it right now.  Damn frustrating.

Talk about worst customer experience ever.   

(1) Damaged shipment.
(2) Customer support that deliberately ignore pleas for help.
(3) Missing parts.
(4) Broken parts.
(6) No Instructions
(7) RMA that nobody receives.
(Cool Promises to delivery but never happening.

Sigh!

April 30, 2014, 07:25:15 AM
Here are pictures on how I have my miner hooked up for reference. Both my miners are hooked up the same way. One works the other doesn't. But the basic hookup is the same. FYI I set it up on the table there for show as I am also working on it.

Thanks....  so there is no power coming from a USB connector.

This is exactly as I have hooked it up.   

Looks like I really have a very expensive brick.

Just as an FYI do you have the backplane oriented in the same manner? That could also have made the difference in this as well. Because hooking it up in reverse you would have run into exactly the same issue. Take a look at the pictures again and you will see the proper orientation for the backplane. Thats all I can think of that could have caused all the cards to fail
legendary
April 30, 2014, 06:41:18 AM
I need a wiring diagram for this!

I got the Rhasp Pi hooked up to the GPIO cable and the power supply.

I got the board hooked up to a PCI-E power connector.

I got the backplane hooked up a floppy disk power connector.

What else do I need hooked up?  How does the Raspberry Pi turn on?  I don't see any switches.  There is a red light that comes on.  

Anyone can help here.

AMT you are the worse supplier ever... can't even help a customer out.

micro usb is there but i dont think its powerful enough. im not using it anyway

floppy connector
pcie 6 pins in cards
2 fans in pi in the loose pins not socket
24pin mobo connecter in pi
plug in a hdmi cable into the pi then turn on tv to hdmi channel then turn pi on. ul get a rasberry logo and your in business

pass as amt
type killall cgminer
then ifconfig youl see an ip in the first few lines 192.168.1.xxx thats pi ip.
take note of it
go on pc typ thee ip into firefox or chrome not i.e
admin
admin
and then click cg miner
add pool details to all 3
click save and start
then home
done.

all cards should mine and show in r/h side.
if not go back into the pi. type killall cgmine then
cgminer -DT this will show card specs your looking at the bottom for it to say found x chips xxx active cores.
if familiar with putty use that its easier because you can scroll each card. your looking for 8 chips 256 active cores.

fk it iv been saying for a week il do vid/tut tomorrow and never do. so i will make one. i expect 1million btc in donations :-p

How do you turn the pi on?  There's no switch.
legendary
April 30, 2014, 06:32:27 AM
Here are pictures on how I have my miner hooked up for reference. Both my miners are hooked up the same way. One works the other doesn't. But the basic hookup is the same. FYI I set it up on the table there for show as I am also working on it.

Thanks....  so there is no power coming from a USB connector.

This is exactly as I have hooked it up.   

Looks like I really have a very expensive brick.
legendary
April 30, 2014, 06:30:13 AM
I would love for someone to explain what I am missing here; why it is worth all of the time and effort you folks are putting in to salvage some hashing power from this mess.  Otherwise, it would seem that pursuing legal and criminal charges is the only way to do, though I doubt we will ever get any justice absent a criminal prosection.

Well,  I'm spending a little time and effort to salvage something to reduce my loses.

There are plenty enough folks who are already pursuing *both* legal and criminal charges but like every legal action all of this takes a lot of time.

For all intents and purpose,  AMT is a dead company and it will take a couple years for the legal system to be able to recoup any of that lost money.   

If I were to wildly speculate, I suspect Josh did not buy all the hardware to build machines for customers, otherwise every client would have received a machine even though it was a non-working machine.  The few who received a machine had non-working to partially working machines.    So Josh kept the money and burnt it paying for staff and the contract manufacturer.   However, he also may have kept the money in Bitcoin and the only way out of his tight financial hole maybe to hope and pray that Bitcoin prices goes up.  At this time,  he sold his miners when Bitcoin was at its peak, if he kept the Bitcoin but used USD to  buy the miner parts then he would be in a deep financial bind right now.

Well...  as an update... AMT still has not shipped me the missing backplane.   

There's no reason for me at this time to ship back the dead hardware to AMT when it is known that nobody at their location signs for shipments.
April 30, 2014, 03:14:44 AM
Does anyone have a fully operational unit yet?  If so, what is the actual hash rate, and what is the actual power draw on these things?

I ask because I am beginning to wonder if it is worth the effort to get these turds working.

For $2,100 (with coupons; $2,400 for new customer) I can get more bitmain S2s that run 1 Th/s at 1000 watts solid non-stop.  Bitmain has had some packaging issues as well but at least they have the excuse of international shipping, and they are fantastic about RMAs and tech support (I got one bad, and one good).  For $2,600 - $3,000 I can get an A1 based system from China though with the power requirements of the A1 chip I think the bitmain offer is much better. 

So is it really worth spending more money and literally days (weeks?) on the AMT system at this point, without any help from AMT?  Spending money for power supplies, backplane repairs, possibly even sending boards to a third party to fix?

I paid for 2 of these trashers, and defended AMT more than I should have given their behavior over the past couple of months ... and now AMT seems to have disappeared.  I am in complete agreement that we need to get what we can from AMT, since I don't think it is likely we will see any great turnaround in their attitude or approach to us.  I have been patiently waiting for a package to arrive, and frankly I think AMT/Josh have left the country and don't plan to come back.  They have not responded to my polite status emails since 3 weeks ago when "Jim" told me my miners were shipping. Lol.

And now it looks like, even if I get my miners, I am going to have to put more money and tons of time in to even get them hashing at all.  And at what rate?  800 Gh/s?  900??  and with 1500-1600 watts of draw which makes the whole system obsolete (e..g, not efficient enough to justify spending the $$ on electricity) in a few more difficulty jumps.  If I have to put in 40 hours to make one of these work, I might as well just buy another bitmain S2 (40 hours x $55/hour equals the cost of a bitmain s2).   

I would love for someone to explain what I am missing here; why it is worth all of the time and effort you folks are putting in to salvage some hashing power from this mess.  Otherwise, it would seem that pursuing legal and criminal charges is the only way to do, though I doubt we will ever get any justice absent a criminal prosection.
Jump to: