Pages:
Author

Topic: Newbies can now pay a small fee to enable images - page 5. (Read 54330 times)

copper member
Activity: 81
Merit: 0
I hope that I will be able to add images to post very soon.
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
Go ahead.  Before you start throwing darts, check some of my post history.  My posts for fulfilling signature requirements are involved and thought provoking, well spoken and easy to read.  You won't find anything interesting in the last two or three weeks as I've taken a break from signatures; and, now with this new development, it puts an even greater strain on existing Jr. Members to rank up - during a time when merits given per post numbers are in a down trend and getting worse on BTT.  Facts are facts.
You're proof the Merit system works just fine! This is a forum, not an ATM.
It starts with your nickname, it's clearly created like thousands of other account farmers who don't care about creating a cool personal nickname. Your Location is an altcoin-address, your Website is an altcoin-address, and you didn't set a Bitcoin address on Bitcointalk.
You say you don't post anything when you're not getting paid from your signature, and when I check your posts I see thousands of links to Twitter. I don't think you've contributed anything to this forum.
If you like Twitter so much: go to Twitter! Don't post that spam here.
While you say you have "thought provoking, well spoken" posts, I see 99% spam.

Don't worry about Merit, it does what it should do.
legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 3134
₿uy / $ell
In me opinion the price is expensive,  are ~23€ or ~26$ for posibility to public images...
If you browse around the forum for a while you'll see that the price is actually low. The membership gives you more privileges, not only posting images but wearing signatures, which some people consider to be a very valuable option. In addition some cool down times are greatly reduced, like sending PMs, reporting posts etc.
Activity: 8
In me opinion the price is expensive,  are ~23€ or ~26$ for posibility to public images...
legendary
Activity: 2240
Merit: 4133
eXch.cx - Automatic crypto Swap Exchange.

Go ahead.  Before you start throwing darts, check some of my post history.  My posts for fulfilling signature requirements are involved and thought provoking, well spoken and easy to read.  You won't find anything interesting in the last two or three weeks as I've taken a break from signatures;

So technically, as you claim you were writing quality post because of signature, no wonder you have such high numbers of Post with little evidence (merit) to show quality. Well I was interested in reviewing your account to give you the 1merit you needed to rank-up but the qouted sentence above discourage me. I wouldn't like to merit someone who takes a break from contributing positively to the forum just because he has stop participating in signatures.

PS. If I encounter your quality posts in future I'll merit them.

About newbies been able to pay to post Image, I think the account created mainly to post project [ANN] which are newbie were put into consideration before this discussion was made.
Activity: 770
Merit: 9
Allowing 'newbies' to pay a fee to leapfrog Jr. Members in signature and image rights is proof beyond a shadow of a doubt that the merit system on Bitcointalk.org is broken beyond repair.

Broken beyond repair.  Period.

Smashed and never to regain the original glory or intention.   With the explosion in the number of users on BTT in recent months/years, systems like the Merit one needed changes a long time ago to prevent what has happened today.  Now it is too late. 

Ok.  Maybe that's a little harsh, but for crying out loud.

The original intention of the Merit system was to keep spammers from flooding the boards. 

Turns out, the English writing skills of the average BTT user borders on illiterate.  Thus in a purely egalitarian world it is obvious that practically no one would be able to compose insightful enough messages in order to obtain a decent stream of merits.  The massive influx of new members the last couple years is proof of that.

So in a desperate attempt to "prevent good newbies from getting discouraged" BTT decides to take a big dump on all the hard working Jr. Members, some of whom, such as myself, have found obtaining merit here almost impossible.  Well?  What about the good Jr. Members?

Go ahead.  Before you start throwing darts, check some of my post history.  My posts for fulfilling signature requirements are involved and thought provoking, well spoken and easy to read.  You won't find anything interesting in the last two or three weeks as I've taken a break from signatures; and, now with this new development, it puts an even greater strain on existing Jr. Members to rank up - during a time when merits given per post numbers are in a down trend and getting worse on BTT.  Facts are facts.

I'm a Jr. Member with over 1000 posts, yet I still don't have 10 merits.  If the merit system was working, I'd already be at Member rank with the contributions I've made here.  I'm not tooting my horn, I'm only pointing out the low quality in general of the majority of posts here relative to mine.

And now, any spammer in the world can simply pay the fee and immediately begin collecting more bounty rewards than all of the hard working Jr. Members.

I was hesitating on posting this because I know how fiercely some of the senior members here defend everything BTT, but this move is a desperation move, not one designed to improve the quality of the BTT threads.  The BTT admins were unable, at least so far, to tackle the problem of spam effectively here.  All the recent moves are after the fact reactions to intractable problems and have damaged the moral of many of the dedicated Jr. Members here, not to mention the cold hard reality that BTT has sold out for profits.

The changes made on the BTT site to control spam will not work.  If the admins here think that monetizing accounts is going to solve their spam problem, then why don't the admins just put a damn price on all the rank levels and let the BTC just roll in?  See the issue yet?

Spam is spam.  Combine that with the fact the average person here has sixth grade level English, and it's starting to appear this site needs a whole new re-write to become relevant again.  Charging an entry fee as the price to do business here is a sign of degradation, not evolution.

I'm opening myself up to the full spectrum of criticisms here in order to get the subject more exposure.    Really.  I'm interested in learning about as many perspectives as I can.

Your thoughts?

Activity: 576
Merit: 39
Available paid memberships:

Copper - 0.00649900 BTC: Allows you to post images even if you are a newbie, reduces the time-between-actions limit, and provides some of the same benefits as being of natural Member rank.
You have paid a total of 0.00025776 BTC. This is reflected in the above prices. (To get the normal price, add this amount to the above prices.)

May I ask how much should I pay to get the copper member status? Just to make sure I transfer the right amount.

The current price of copper membership is 0.00675676 BTC and you already paid 0.00025776 BTC

0.00675676 BTC (normal price)
-0.00025776 BTC (How much you already paid)

Activity: 382
Available paid memberships:

Copper - 0.00649900 BTC: Allows you to post images even if you are a newbie, reduces the time-between-actions limit, and provides some of the same benefits as being of natural Member rank.
You have paid a total of 0.00025776 BTC. This is reflected in the above prices. (To get the normal price, add this amount to the above prices.)

May I ask how much should I pay to get the copper member status? Just to make sure I transfer the right amount.
Activity: 2310
Merit: 757
Bitcoin = Financial freedom
^ I don't see that theymos need a donation in that small amount,Maybe he is in need of donation to bring new forum software to get completed but these kind of donation will not going to help that.

The reason reason behind why even legendary members are purchasing this membership is that they thing it is like a special rank because we have a title as Copper member under our profile which may give them special feeling in this forum,such a pathetic thought. Cheesy
copper member
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464
Clueless!

Well, I tried to 'quote' a reply and was not allowed to. But anyway, as an 'aside' I've seen Legendary Members with this copper membership...so I assume

it was just done as a way to flag a donation and for no other real reason. ie ..contribute to the Bitcointalk fund/cause as it were?

anyway, thoughts on this, if it is insane/just silly/or for the above I want to contribute some BTC to Bitcointalk reasons mentioned above.

thanks

brad
Activity: 75
By popular demand, newbies can now pay to have some of their restrictions lifted. If you pay the fee, you become a Copper Member, and you can post images. That's the main point of this: allowing newbies to post images. Additionally (and these might change depending on how things go), Copper Members currently have these bonuses:

- Some of the same permissions as Member-rank members, such as reduced signature styling restrictions. (But none of the PM-related restrictions are currently lifted, such as the style limit or per-hour PM limit.)
- Your "you must wait ____ seconds between ___" counter is reduced by 75%. So if you're naturally of Newbie rank, you only have to wait 360-75% = 90 seconds.

If you paid an "evil IP" registration fee, then whatever you paid (in BTC terms) is subtracted from the upgrade fee. If you paid a registration fee a long time ago, you might even get a free Copper Membership due to the increase in BTC price. Just visit the link at the bottom of this post to check whether you have it already.

I am aware that for most people the benefits of this membership are pretty lame. This membership is only intended to fill a specific niche; if you don't need it, don't buy it. It is not intended to be the lower-cost Donator/VIP alternative which I've talked about before as a possibility.

I wrote the system so that I can easily add additional paid memberships in the future, but I might not ever do so. Not sure.

You can buy it here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=credit;promote
Hello good day sir, i sent you a private message about the membership. Thank you.
legendary
₿uy / $ell
We've just purchased a Copper member and the following message appears:

Copper - 0.00000000 BTC: Allows you to post images even if you are a newbie, reduces the time-between-actions limit, and provides some of the same benefits as being of natural Member rank.

You have paid a total of 0.00208333 BTC, pending confirmation. This is reflected in the above prices. (To get the normal price, add this amount to the above prices.)

Should I simply wait for the transactions to be confirmed, or any further action is required? I am still not seeing an option to "wear" the copper membership.

As you have a pending confirmation you need to wait >

Once your transaction has 1 confirmation, revisit this page and then use the form which will appear in order to wear your new membership.
Activity: 2016
Merit: 531
FREE passive income eBook @ tinyurl.com/PIA10

Copper - 0.00000000 BTC: Allows you to post images even if you are a newbie, reduces the time-between-actions limit, and provides some of the same benefits as being of natural Member rank.

You have paid a total of 0.00208333 BTC, pending confirmation. This is reflected in the above prices. (To get the normal price, add this amount to the above prices.)

Should I simply wait for the transactions to be confirmed, or any further action is required? I am still not seeing an option to "wear" the copper membership.

Worry not, this has been addressed according to the page itself:
Pay to the Bitcoin address 3MVd6Ec1VPQ4bKAcdkVN6FqAEuHL4vKpfN. Once your transaction has 1 confirmation, revisit this page and then use the form which will appear in order to wear your new membership. Your transaction will not be accepted until it has 1 confirmation. Bitcoin network fees and exchange/wallet withdrawal fees will not count toward your payment.

We are commonly asked how we know that you sent a payment. The address above was newly generated just for you, so when any BTC is sent to it, we will know to credit it to your account. It is all automatic.
copper member
Activity: 353
Merit: 10

legendary
Activity: 2240
Merit: 2174
Need PR/CMC & CG? TG @The_Cryptovator
Then I'll (eventually) adjust it downward again.
It's fine you have increased price for copper member. But I am not agree downward again even on bull run. Because the forum name is BTCitcointalk, Not USDtalk or Altcointalk. If I am not wrong copper membership was implemented for enable images. But most of people's are misusing lately for signature campaign. Copper membership is able to wear member rank and most of them are one line poster I have seen. So peoples are simply skip earning merit and never try to contribute themselves.

So how it will be, Copper Membership = Jr. Member facility since topic title is "Newbies can now pay a small fee to enable images." And Jr. Member rank is able to post image.
Activity: 154
Merit: 24
The future of security tokens
Will this copper membership come with a merit?
Nope it won't,but it gives you a somewhat junior member status and enables you post images and join campaigns(but that's based on the mangers preference)as you'll be able to wear a signature

Buying a copper membership rank wouldn't automatically get you a merit,as you can have 0 merits and have the rank on,but definitely with it you can likewise earn merits,it doesn't stop you from doing so
administrator
Activity: 5166
Merit: 12850
Has anything been written anywhere about the reasons for this? I can't imagine it's a money making measure. I also can't imagine it's going to deter the people who aren't already deterred by it.

It's just that I last changed the price when the BTC/USD price was $12k, so it's drifted from the intended value. Evil fees will also be updated.

The price will be fixed in bitcoins so imagine what will happen when we enter a bull market again.

Then I'll (eventually) adjust it downward again. I like to keep the BTC-denominated price pretty stable and not change it every time the market freaks out in either direction, but it's supposed to have a vaguely consistent real value.
Activity: 2016
Merit: 531
FREE passive income eBook @ tinyurl.com/PIA10

Has anything been written anywhere about the reasons for this? I can't imagine it's a money making measure. I also can't imagine it's going to deter the people who aren't already deterred by it.

No official reason, but my guess is that Theymos feels that paying a few bucks to bypass the merit requirement just to have privileges as a normal member still encourage signature spammers.
legendary
₿uy / $ell

I did't find anything. Checked both in Meta and theymos post history but nothing was mention about the change. The only source of information is the announcement in the news feed. It should be a good thing tho, all those spammers that cannot earn even one merit are buying copper memberships to wear paid signatures so they gonna loose more now.
I don't know if the Evil IP fee will be increased too.
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008
Welt Am Draht
Just an update from theymos :

The copper membership price will increase by about 300% around Friday.

It's time to buy now Cheesy

Pages:
Jump to: